Hot!Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1788
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/23 09:35:31 (permalink)
Carnaggio's in West Birmingham/Bessemer Alabama. 300lb Italian gals wearing white smocks in the kitchen and some of the best pizza I ever put down. They had this deeply funky white cheese that almost, almost, tasted spoiled. They'd load up fermented olives and thick cut pepperoni all over their pies. Delicious and long since shuttered.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/06 15:48:16 (permalink)
Bumping-found in a search about Millie's Drive in Des Moines. Just a few of many...
Bruno's Pizza-Saratoga, NY across from the Track.
Fritzbee's-Annandale, VA
Bob's Diner-Fairfax, VA
Sing's Polynesian-Bangor, Maine
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/06 17:16:01 (permalink)
Driving in New Britain yesterday, I saw a sign for a place that I think some lifelong residents might put into this category:

It appears in the obituary of the person - or, at least, one of the people - who ran the place, as well as a list of New Britain restaurants that were around in 1960.  I couldn't find much else online for it.

Someone on Flickr took a nice photo of the signage in front, better than what I could have gotten at the sunny time of day that I drove past.  I recognize those oval accents, but I'll be darned if I know what they're called.
post edited by Ketteract - 2017/08/06 17:17:49
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7853
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/06 20:29:23 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Bumping-found in a search about Millie's Drive in Des Moines. Just a few of many...

How long has Millie's Drive been gone?  I don't remember the name from my 1981-85 days in Des Moines.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 236
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/07 07:31:55 (permalink)
cavandre
Jimmie's was a family run Italian joint in Dobbs Ferry, NY. I fondly remember their baked stuffed clams & pasta fagoili.

It does my heart good to see Jimmie's mentioned. My Dad was a native son of 'Guiana Gulch' , and grew up with Tom Mastroianni, the last owner.
   While the baked clams and pasta fagoili were notable in their own right, the Scampi is what they were famous for.
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/07 09:34:01 (permalink)
So, I asked one of my older coworkers - the same guy that moved to New Britain when he was five and brings me all that home-cooked Polish food - about Vi's, and wow. It just went to show that all the Googling in the world is still no substitute for actually talking to someone that was, you know, around back then. I was regaled with a delightful story of his days working at a sweatshop in the building next door to Vi's (Pola-Marie Fashions), run by an old off-the-boat Italian fellow who carried around a briefcase containing a handgun and a bottle of Scotch (for "mouthwash," he claimed). 

A van would arrive from NYC, park next to the loading dock that you see in the alley, and they'd zipline the finished products on clotheshangers right down to the van. Often they would go over to Vi's for lunch, run by a crusty guy (the same one in the obit I linked before) that apparently had a Louis' Lunch approach of take-it-or-leave-it to the greaseburgers and other fare that he served up. "It was the definition of a dive," my coworker said.

post edited by Ketteract - 2017/08/07 09:58:19
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/07 10:59:08 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Wintahaba

How long has Millie's Drive been gone?  I don't remember the name from my 1981-85 days in Des Moines.

From what I gleaned, it closed @ 1990ish. We moved there in 1993 and it was already gone.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/07 11:01:19 (permalink)
Ketteract
Driving in New Britain yesterday, I saw a sign for a place that I think some lifelong residents might put into this category:

It appears in the obituary of the person - or, at least, one of the people - who ran the place, as well as a list of New Britain restaurants that were around in 1960.  I couldn't find much else online for it.

Someone on Flickr took a nice photo of the signage in front, better than what I could have gotten at the sunny time of day that I drove past.  I recognize those oval accents, but I'll be darned if I know what they're called.

The ovals were part of Coke's intro of Sprite (1961) and usually had either Coca-Cola or Sprite on the sign w/ ovals that had green starbursts inside.
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1816
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/07 12:39:44 (permalink)
Many years ago my husband and I loved backpacking in Baxter State Park in Maine. We would make the long drive up from NJ and stay at a hotel in Bangor for the first. Dinner was baked stuffed lobster at the Pilot's Grill by the airport. It was always a good dinner!

Attached Image(s)

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/07 13:04:31 (permalink)
agnesrob
Many years ago my husband and I loved backpacking in Baxter State Park in Maine. We would make the long drive up from NJ and stay at a hotel in Bangor for the first. Dinner was baked stuffed lobster at the Pilot's Grill by the airport. It was always a good dinner!

OMG, agnesrob that was a special place for my family. I was born in Bangor while my Dad was stationed at Dow AFB...now the airport. He was friends with the owner Bill Zoidis. I have postcards/menus/swizzles/matchbooks from the Pilot's...he also owned the Ground Round...the first "fast casual" in Bangor in the early 70's.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6498
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/08 13:05:10 (permalink)
In addition to the two I mentioned above several years ago (Villanova Inn, New Castle, PA and Whitey's in Arlington, VA) there are some places I enjoyed in my 28 years living in Arlington and McLean that, sadly, are no longer in business.

As during my residence there all of my houses (through two divorces) were only one light to Key Bridge and no lights to Chain Bridge I had quick access to Georgetown, K St., and Upper Wisconsin so I dined often in both D.C. and Bethesda.

Bistro Franchise on M - closed just last year.  It was a perfect 'first date' place that served French classics in a pleasing ambiance at very reasonable prices.

Tiberio on K - high-end Northern Italian perfect for a 'third date'.  Tiberio closed back in the '80's, but interestingly the owner reopened in Bal Harbor (north Miami) fairly recently.  After great reviews, he closed .  My best guess is that the poor folk in Bar Harbor couldn't afford his prices.

Bish Thompson's on Wisconsin in Bethesda - wonderful seafood and comfortable circumstance; IMHO, vastly superior to the better-known and brightly lit O'Donnell's.

AV Ristorante Italiano New York and Fifth, NE - it took great food and off-street parking to lure me into that neighborhood and AV delivered some of the best red sauce Italian on the planet.  It was also a favorite of Mr. Justice Antonin Scalia.

Fred's in Parole, MD (Rt. 2 near Annapolis) - simply the best crab cake on the planet.  And I say that with no disrespect to the current "champ", G&M Restaurant & Bar in Linthicum, MD.  

Angelina's in a sketchy neighborhood in Baltimore - again, with no disrespect for G&M, the second best crab cake I ever had.  They closed the restaurant, but still sell their specialty via the internet.

JR's Stockyards Inn - at Fairfax Circle, then on Watson St. @ Tyson's Corner - an excellent "middle class" steakhouse that served choice beef and great 'trimmings' gracefully and in extremely comfortable circumstance.  Dollar for dollar the best dining value in D.C.  Sadly, they closed the restaurant, but still do catering.

Klein's Seafood, 4th. Avenue in Pittsburgh - the best seafood I've ever had at an "inland" restaurant.  Truly exceptional and reasonably priced.  Torn down in redevelopment.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/08 13:18:15 (permalink)
Also in the DC area...
The Guards in Georgetown
The Thai Room on Connecticut Ave...The first Thai restaurant in DC I believe.
Sign of The Whale-DC and Nova
Evans Farm Inn-Sitting Duck Pub-McLean
Armand's Pizza-Alexandria
scrumptiouschef
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/08 16:31:53 (permalink)
Hill Country Hickory House in rural Knox County, Kentucky. Charbroiled steaks, wedge salads, soup beans, yeast rolls, cornbread, homemade pies. A fire ripped through it when I was a kid and they never rebuilt.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6028
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/08 18:38:33 (permalink)
Back in the day, we had a local chain in West Michigan called Mr. Fables. Used to stop in a couple times a week for lunch (Mr Fabulous burger with O-Rings on the side).  Sloppy, but yet oh so good!
Another one for the history books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Fables
scrumptiouschef
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/08 20:47:35 (permalink)
The long gone and much lamented York Steakhouse chain. We went to the one at Fayette Mall in Lexington, Kentucky when we were kids. Char-grilled steaks, fat baked potatoes and salads with the then-exotic Roquefort dressing. You could get a big steak dinner for about $5.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1284
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/09 10:20:36 (permalink)
scrumptiouschef
The long gone and much lamented York Steakhouse chain. We went to the one at Fayette Mall in Lexington, Kentucky when we were kids. Char-grilled steaks, fat baked potatoes and salads with the then-exotic Roquefort dressing. You could get a big steak dinner for about $5.

The only thing that has changed is the price.  There is still one around in Columbus, OH.  I ate there again about a month ago.  You walk in and it's the 70's - Wood paneling, menu pictures on the wall, grab a tray and order (which is repeated into a loudspeaker to the back), slide down to the desserts and drinks, grab a salad plate, order mushrooms if you want, and pay.  My wife always gets the steak tips no onions and steak fries.  I usually end up with the burger or a steak.  Baked potatoes are always good of course.  The honey rotisserie chicken is a favorite of a friend of ours as well.  The salad bar is still the same - a big pile of shredded iceberg lettuce, standard veggies, fake bacon bits and little cups of jello.  It's not world class but it's always good and comforting to know it's never changed.    

https://www.yelp.com/biz/york-steakhouse-columbus
post edited by hatteras04 - 2017/08/09 10:23:52
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 350
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/09 11:48:06 (permalink)
Another DC/No.VA. place: Generous George's Pizza. My wife and i used to live walking distance from this place in Alexandria, VA. Great pizza and a fun place to go for dinner. We still miss it.

http://www.nbcwashington....-Goodbye-59942547.html
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/09 12:20:04 (permalink)
Dave, My wife lived down by the Bombay Bicycle Club when she first moved to NOVA (to be near me  ) and she loved Generous George.
eruby
  • Total Posts : 1052
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/09 12:46:17 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
In addition to the two I mentioned above several years ago (Villanova Inn, New Castle, PA and Whitey's in Arlington, VA) there are some places I enjoyed in my 28 years living in Arlington and McLean that, sadly, are no longer in business.

As during my residence there all of my houses (through two divorces) were only one light to Key Bridge and no lights to Chain Bridge I had quick access to Georgetown, K St., and Upper Wisconsin so I dined often in both D.C. and Bethesda.

Bistro Franchise on M - closed just last year.  It was a perfect 'first date' place that served French classics in a pleasing ambiance at very reasonable prices.

Tiberio on K - high-end Northern Italian perfect for a 'third date'.  Tiberio closed back in the '80's, but interestingly the owner reopened in Bal Harbor (north Miami) fairly recently.  After great reviews, he closed .  My best guess is that the poor folk in Bar Harbor couldn't afford his prices.

Bish Thompson's on Wisconsin in Bethesda - wonderful seafood and comfortable circumstance; IMHO, vastly superior to the better-known and brightly lit O'Donnell's.

AV Ristorante Italiano New York and Fifth, NE - it took great food and off-street parking to lure me into that neighborhood and AV delivered some of the best red sauce Italian on the planet.  It was also a favorite of Mr. Justice Antonin Scalia.

Fred's in Parole, MD (Rt. 2 near Annapolis) - simply the best crab cake on the planet.  And I say that with no disrespect to the current "champ", G&M Restaurant & Bar in Linthicum, MD.  

Angelina's in a sketchy neighborhood in Baltimore - again, with no disrespect for G&M, the second best crab cake I ever had.  They closed the restaurant, but still sell their specialty via the internet.

JR's Stockyards Inn - at Fairfax Circle, then on Watson St. @ Tyson's Corner - an excellent "middle class" steakhouse that served choice beef and great 'trimmings' gracefully and in extremely comfortable circumstance.  Dollar for dollar the best dining value in D.C.  Sadly, they closed the restaurant, but still do catering.

Klein's Seafood, 4th. Avenue in Pittsburgh - the best seafood I've ever had at an "inland" restaurant.  Truly exceptional and reasonably priced.  Torn down in redevelopment.

You sir, win the eruby Depends award for this post.

I have been to every place except Klein's.

Well done sir!!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/09 17:28:17 (permalink)
eruby

You sir, win the eruby Depends award for this post.

I have been to every place except Klein's.

Well done sir!!!

1)  Was I right about the crab cakes at Fred's, or what?
2)  Even though I don't need Depends yet, it might be  good time to buy some Kimberly Clark stock.
3)  I must be headed that way because I forgot three I had meant to include:

Duke Zeibert's L St., NW @ Connecticut

I was freshly arrived "from the sticks" and only 24 or so when I first wandered in there for a 'big city' lunch.  Of course I loved the 'free' Kosher pickles, but what really impressed me was the size of the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail.  I liked it so much I ordered another and downed it, too!  This place was great for high quality, fresh food prepared simply.  I loved it and went there often until Duke closed the original place for redevelopment.

Mel Krupin's on Connecticut near L.  Mel, who had been Duke's front man for years, renovated the old Paul Young's space into a truly glamorous place whose main dining room was down a striking double staircase from the reception area on street level.  He kept the pickles, most of Duke's menu, and added several 'fancy' entrees and prime meats.  I loved the place and always thought it would make a great movie set.  Soon after it closed, sure enough:

Blackie's House of Beef, 23rd. St. in the West End

though not 'cheap', Blackie's offered a good steak in a comfortable setting for a reasonable price.  The one thing you couldn't miss on Blackie's menu was printed in bold type at the bottom of each page:  WE DO NOT SERVE COCA COLA PRODUCTS!  I'd love to know the story behind that.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/09 18:00:16 (permalink)
Jim, Been trying to find out about the Blackie's Coke thing. Here is another long gone NOVA fave...(Probably too lowbrow for you Jim ) but for a HS or recent College grad, Beer and AYCE Crab and Spiced Shrimp at Loehmann's Plaza or Bailey's Xroads truly fit the bill. In HS one of my football friends had 28 plates of Shrimp. RIP CHESAPEAKE BAY SEAFOOD HOUSE!

eruby
  • Total Posts : 1052
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/10 06:17:05 (permalink)
Coke at Blackie's:  I always heard someone (a lawyer??) ordered a 'rum & Coke' and it was made with Pepsi. A lawsuit was threatened, or came about, and that is why the menus (and bar coasters I believe) had the Coke warning,

First time I ate at Chesapeake Bay Seafood House, I had the steamed shrimp. When the waitress came back for re-orders, she asked where my shells were. I said "what?"  Growing up in a kosher home, I never had shrimp and didn't know you were supposed to peel them. Roughage!!!

And one of my favorites; Tom Sarris Orleans House on Wilson Blvd.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/10 11:18:21 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Here is another long gone NOVA fave...(Probably too lowbrow for you Jim ) but for a HS or recent College grad, Beer and AYCE Crab and Spiced Shrimp at Loehmann's Plaza or Bailey's Xroads truly fit the bill. 

Au contraire, as I have four kids we did plenty of eating at the Chesapeake Bay @ Bailey's X-Roads!  I especially remember one evening when my (then) 12 y.o. son had a steamed, spiced shrimp eating contest with my 10 y.o. daughter.  As we approached the car my daughter 'lost it' projectile-style followed almost immediately by her brother; now 36 years later both remember that well.  Lesson learned!

eruby
And one of my favorites; Tom Sarris Orleans House on Wilson Blvd.

Ah, yes:

If you didn't mind the tourist groups swarming over the two "steamboat" salad bars it was an excellent value and a pleasant dining experience in the evening (after the tourists had retired across the Potomac).  I remember one memorable night when a pair of my in-laws wanted to thank us for hosting them with a 'nice steak dinner'.  The Orleans House was perfect - nice but reasonable

I learned something that night about tipping customs.  My brother-in-law, a Bolivian educated in Europe, (unbeknownst to me) left a fifty to cover the $47. bill which he, from his experiences, assumed included "service".  Oops!  The waiter actually chased us down across Wilson Boulevard, "inquiring" what about his service was "inadequate".  What a lovely scene.
moosemcd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/10 16:57:01 (permalink)
"Golden Fleece" on Broadway in Chicago's north side in the early 80s.
Absolutely the best and largest Gyros platters I ever saw: abundant meat spiced right, great tzatziki, huge salad with all the goodies and fresh pita.  And the whole thing cost like $3.50.  Plus they were open till 1am and served good beers/wine.

The "Shack" in Culver, IN was a typical diner but out in the middle of rural Indiana (next to Culver Military Academy).
Served all day with made to order breakfasts and fantastic burgers, sandwiches, fries and shake/malts.
It closed in the late 70's. 
The area also had a dinner spot called "3 Sisters" which was a little up the food chain and an A&W which was... an A&W: frosty mugs and mediocre burgs etc. 

It was a chain but I ate at "Felix & Oscar's" in Ames, IA every day for lunch (and a lot of dinners) when I was there for 4 weeks.  Fantastic meatball subs!  Good pizza.

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1130
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/11 18:13:22 (permalink)
I was just thinking about Fitzgerald's on Lake Pontchartrain in NOLA's West End. Had the best bowl of turtle soup ever there and their seafood was to die for. Yeah, you could get the same style elsewhere but the folks out there did it well. I loved their Gentilly Giant. A garlic bread trencher filled with fried seafood and some killer broiled oysters. Easily fed two people. And the staff was always so attentive and nice. They don't make many restaurants like that anymore.
Sadly a pair of hurricanes did them in and they are now, sadly, gone.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1130
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/11 18:17:02 (permalink)
Here's 50 joints lost to time in New Orleans. Wish I had had the chance to eat at all of those places.

http://www.nola.com/dinin...ans_restaurant_vi.html
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/11 19:19:06 (permalink)
When I taught summer school economics near 116th & B'way Mama Leone's on W. 48th. was my favorite for a heavy dinner. 

The table was always set with 'complimentary' breads, cheeses, and olives which I washed down with  their tasty house (forgive me) "Dago Red".  Their portions were both well-prepared and gargantuan.  I'd wobble out of there with my wallet only $10 lighter.  Magnificent! 

No wonder it was a favorite of Babe Ruth.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5648
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/11 19:47:33 (permalink)
I couldn't find a picture online but, the long gone Central Diner on Central Avenue in Cedarhurst, Long Island, New York. My Cheeseburger of choice during the 1950's. .20 for a burger. .25 with cheese. The personification of a Greek family owned diner on Long Island. And, where I learned to love mustard on my cheeseburger.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7853
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/11 20:41:12 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
A garlic bread trencher filled with fried seafood and some killer broiled oysters. Easily fed two people.

Based on that description I'm not sharing with anybody.  I say we hire ScrumptiousChef to track down the modern day equivalents...
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2017/08/11 23:05:28 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
When I taught summer school economics near 116th & B'way Mama Leone's on W. 48th. was my favorite for a heavy dinner. 

The table was always set with 'complimentary' breads, cheeses, and olives which I washed down with  their tasty house (forgive me) "Dago Red".  Their portions were both well-prepared and gargantuan.  I'd wobble out of there with my wallet only $10 lighter.  Magnificent! 

No wonder it was a favorite of Babe Ruth.

When I went to Catholic school in the late 70's , we would have lunches made by the " Lunch Ladies " consisting of meatball sandwiches made with Mama Leones  recipes. The whole town showed up , it was better than everyones Grandma could make. My Mom was a lunch Lady and she brought them home for us , they were the best meatball sandwich I ever ate. Great bread , great sauce , awesome meatballs.
Karl
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5