London, England

Author
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
2004/04/22 12:17:52 (permalink)

London, England

Visiting London 1-2 May. Any ideas for places to eat over there?

20 Replies Related Threads

efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 12:28:45 (permalink)
    my experience with London is that the pubs have the best food. Fish and chips with a pint of guiness - who could ask for more! There's a pub on every corner so just follow your nose!
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 12:32:13 (permalink)
    Can I piggie back on your request? Will also be visiting London in Sept. My husband is looking for Fish & chips.
    After London we will be going on to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Holland. Any good eats??
    Thanks, Mary
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 12:38:57 (permalink)
    efuery is correct! Pubs serve up the best food. Stay away from Burger King or McDonalds. When I tried fast food in London, I had to ask for ketchup, which they kept behind the counter (!). Pubs are cool, but my favorite was the local chippy - you can get the world's best fish & chips there. Huge pieces of fish and thick chips in malt vinegar sauce. Just please don't go fast food unless you're desperate!
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 13:02:23 (permalink)
    I have not been to the Merrye Olde Isle in a number of years, but the curry houses are fantastic. Here's one: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3264.htm

Dim sum is also quite good at http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1767.htm

And not so much for the food, but for the atmosphere try the restaurant in the Sherlock Holmes Pub. Be sure to reserve a table near the replica of Holmes' Baker street consulting room. The pub is in the Northumberland hotel, which is where Holmes and Watson met with Sir henry Baskerville. Or you can just go to the pub and look at the replica through a partition. http://www.travelape.com/london/nightlife/sherlock-holmes-pub-and-restaurant/
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 13:24:40 (permalink)
    FINALLY! Someone is coming onto my turf

If you're up for ethnic and inventive cuisine, then London is actually one of the world's best culinary melting pots despite snide remarks about the state of English food.

For extremely good Malaysian, try Melati. It's on Great Windmill Street (road?) in London's Soho.

Excellent and cheap Chinese can be had at Wong Kee on Gerrard Street off Leicester Square (in London's Chinatown). Wong Kee is famous for their rude waiters but the waiters have been much politer for the past couple of years. Try their Dry-fried Beef rice noodles (Gohn Chao Ngao Hor).

The African food at the African Cultural Centre off Covent Garden is very tasty and value for money.

Lots of good ethnic roadfood sold in the rough from stalls in and around Camden Market (open weekends and heaving with young people on Saturdays). It's not high cuisine but it's great--Chinese, Thai, French crepes, baked goodies etc for quick eats.

Of course, you MUST drop by Brick Lane market where things are sold cheap and the Indian community has it's base. Plenty of great curries!

My advice is that if you want to see what London street fashion is like and people watch, try one of the markets--Brick Lane (East London), Notting Hill (West London) or Camden Town (North London) is best.

Hope this helps.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 14:47:56 (permalink)
    But what about English food?
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 14:58:54 (permalink)
    St. John Restaurant in London -- True nose-to-tail eating, and great wines.

http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/history.cfm
    hongry dawg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 16:08:41 (permalink)
    Not exactly RF, but a couple of places that I enjoyed recently are Rasa's for Indian food. Not your usual stateside Indian place, but very good Northern Indian place that serves a lot of dishes that (I've been told) are normally not served in restaurants, but at family celebrations. There are couple of locations, but I've always gone to the one in an alley off of Regent or Bond Street (I can't remember which). A pretty good late night dive for chinese food would be a place called Crispy Duck in Chinatown. Pretty good noodles and such, and the dinner menu is also very good. another benefit of this joint is that the prices are CHEAP by London standards. Finally, if you are near the Notting Hill/Portobello Road market, there is a pretty cool spotname Cafeteria on the street adjacent to the tube stop after Notting Hill Gate. The stop name escapes me, but if you were to walk through the Portobello Road Market from the Notting Hill tube stop,the station right where the market ends is where Cafeteria is located. what drew me there was the old, nondescript sign that simply reads "Cafeteria". Figuring that this was a prettygood indicator of interesting eats, we wandered in on a cold, wet afternoon. Inside there is a bar/lounge upstairs, and the restaurant was a pretty trendy looking place with retro 60's furniture and decor, unisex bathrooms with frosted glass doors, and pretty good food. I had the fish finger sandwich , which was fish sticks and tartar sauce on thick, homemade white bread. Others in my group had a burger, pasta and fish & chips, all of which were pretty good.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5389
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 17:38:38 (permalink)
    Try bodeans BBQ and report back; They cased out the BBQ in the US, then went back to London and opened this in Soho. Named after Jethro, by the way.
    http://www.bodeansbbq.com
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2352
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 17:54:02 (permalink)
    My favorite pub in London is the White Horse, on Parson's Green. I can't imagine visiting London without going there. If you want to spend reams of money for a terrific meal, go to Ramsay Gordon's.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 18:10:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

My favorite pub in London is the White Horse, on Parson's Green. I can't imagine visiting London without going there. If you want to spend reams of money for a terrific meal, go to Ramsay Gordon's.

Actually, it's Gordon Ramsay's. Try Jamie Oliver's restaurant, 15. I hear that it's pukka! :)
    Poverty Pete
    RE: London, England 2004/04/22 18:53:21 (permalink)
    I can accept that. Just please don't tell me I'm sending people to the Green Horse at Parson's White.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: London, England 2004/04/24 19:13:11 (permalink)

Yes, the pubs are generally good for "home cooking" types of things as well as a "plowman's lunch" (cheese, bread, & pickles). You order your food at the counter and take it to a table. When ordering beer, you will get the traditional, room-temperature English "bitter" unless you specify that you want "lager". Heineken and other European brands of lager are widely available, although they may not be served as cold as they would be in the U.S.

For a slightly upscale steak and french fries dinner, you should really try Rowley's, on Jermyn Street, just off of Regent Street. It is just a few blocks south of Piccadilly Circus. Rowley's is known for their "Entrecote" steak, which is cooked rare, sliced, and served on a platter in a bit of herb butter. It comes with very good home-made fries (Chips). The chips are unlimited. Ask for more, and you will get them.

For excellent Chinese food, do like the Chinese residents of London, and avoid Chinatown. The restaurants in the Chinatown section of Soho are populated heavily by non-asians. The young, sophisticated Chinese professionals go to a few places on Queensway (in the Bayswater section). Here, you will find the New Four Seasons,
    as well as Royal China. Both are very good and authentic. The clientele is mostly Asian, particularly at New Four Seasons, which is known for its excellent seafood. Royal China is a bit more upscale and is definitely more visually appealing. Royal China does really excellent Dim Sum every morning and afternoon. They also have a location of Royal China on Baker St. (in Marylebone), but this one can sometimes feel a bit cramped and the staff at that location can tend to be a bit snooty.

I can't guarantee than this next suggestion still exists, but I would check phone books to find out for sure. The Carvery is a small chain of buffet restaurants whose several locations are (were?) located in various hotels. They feature authentic English Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Leg of Lamb, and Roast Loin of Pork. The buffet has several vegetables in addition to the meats. The waitress will bring your drinks and your dessert of choice. Good quality, good quantity, and the price was moderate, as I recall. I had a really nice experience at their location in The Tower Hotel. If they are still in business, I strongly recommend them.

For Indian food, I recommend Memories of India on Gloucester Road (in Kensington). I have had really good meals at both this location and at their outpost in Amsterdam. Lamb Rogan Josh and Chicken Tikka were memorable.

One of my strongest suggestions for any "foodie" is to visit Harrod's. Besides the incredible Food Halls, they have several "lunch counters" which give new definition and new dignity to that term. All of the counters are specialized--Sushi, Sandwiches, etc. The food is excellent even though it is not cheap. And if you present your receipt, you can be admitted to the "premium" restrooms, which are an experience unto themselves.

Besides the "lunch counters", there are also a couple of restaurants with tables at Harrod's. All of the foods at Harrod's, whether at a counter, a "table cloth restaurant" or the Food Halls, is of the very highest quality.

The Food Halls raise the display of food to an artform. Even if you don't plan to purchase produce, meats, etc., it is a treat to see the regal displays of these items. A good souvenir of your visit is some of Harrod's teas or their liquors. Harrod's is a must, but be aware that if you are too casually dressed, you may be approached by their security people and asked to leave. Definitely avoid shorts!

You may want to look at Harrod's clothing departments also, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage if you want to buy any of those items! I had really wanted a Harrod's tie until I saw that, with the exchange rate, the ties started at about $52., and went upward from there.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: London, England 2004/04/24 20:44:18 (permalink)
    I totally concur with Tedbear. Anybody interested in food MUST go to Harrod's while in London. It is one of life's great experiences.
    SkyGazer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: London, England 2004/04/25 11:53:08 (permalink)
    Borough Market by London Bridge is a great place to discover excellent British produce. Willy is right about St John - fabulous food. Check out the Anchor and Hope in The Cut as well.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: London, England 2004/04/25 14:40:01 (permalink)
    Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly has a bunch of cool food counters. All the typical English stuff. And as mentioned, Harrod's food counters and hall is another English experience.
    SkyGazer
    Junior Burger
    RE: London, England 2004/04/27 10:23:51 (permalink)
    Selfridges in Oxford Street also has a fine food hall as does Harvey Nick's.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: London, England 2004/04/27 11:26:38 (permalink)
    http://www.pubs.com/guinw1.htm

One of the greatest steaks I've ever had. And a TRUE English Pub experience!
    Road Trip Hanna
    Junior Burger
    RE: London, England 2004/04/29 16:44:09 (permalink)
    Exit the Earl's Court Tube Station (green or blue line) on the Earl's Court side of the platform, not the exhibition hall side. At the top of the steps, turn left. Go down about a block. Cross the little side street and on the far corner is a place called "Nando's".
    204 Earl's Court Road.
    It is primarily Portugese chicken with various "heat" options. The chicken is first rate, I love the rice and and cole slaw is servicable. I understand it is a chain (I can get the Nando's sauces in Grapevine TX at a small British store) but it has the feel and food quality of a mom and pop place. Look them up on www.nandos.co.uk.

On the same side of the street a little farther on toward Cromwell Rd is a small Curry place. Don't remember its name, but my daughter still raves about their food.

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: London, England 2004/05/04 09:26:27 (permalink)
    So, what happened?

My hotel was the Egerton House off Brompton road in Knightsbridge. Lovely small hotel with full breakfast included. Of note, I had eggs with bacon, similar to what we call Canadian bacon eaten with a knife and fork. Also tried black pudding, a peppery blood sausage. Not to my taste but I can see how people like this. Pancakes were around 5" diameter, very thin and delicate. Toast was cut in triangles after the crust was removed and set up in a caddy so it will cool and become crisp.

Lunches consisted mainly of snacks on the fly. Pret A Manger are good quality sandwich shops found around town. Quick, cheap and fresh.

I went out to dinner twice. Both times to pubs which is an excellent source of roadfood, plus they are fun and reasonable priced. I had fish and chips at the Star Tavern in Belgravia. I expected to get fish "fingers" but got a slab of battered and fried fish with what we call french fries and cole slaw. Very good.

Next night was Ye Bunch of Grapes on Brompton Road around the corner from my hotel. I had sausages and mash. This is 2 or 3 whole sausages around the size of a hot dog laying on top of mashed potatoes with gravy over all. I couldn't finish it.

Everything gets washed down with a pint of bitter or stout. Good beer in England.

Also, the food courts in Harrod's are not to be missed. I hit it between meals but did buy some food gifts there.

Two things noteworthy in London. Very expensive. More expensive than New York. Friendly, helpful people that were a treat and unexpected in a city of 16 million.

I would go back in a minute if the opportunity arises.

Cheers.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5