Long New York Highways

Author
Taco Dude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2004/04/28 18:01:20 (permalink)

Long New York Highways

I'll be driving with a wife and two young kids through upstate NY on Hwy 90 and I'm looking for an excellent place to stop for lunch, somewhere not too far from the highway (within 1/2 hour), around Syracuse, Utica, Rome. Any ideas? I'd hate to default to McDonalds (although the kids wouldn't mind).

2 Replies Related Threads

wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 441
    RE: Long New York Highways 2004/04/28 20:21:28 (permalink)
    I'm always one to recommend my favortie diners. There are several along I-90, aka the NY Thruway, which are easy to get to. For some I won't give directions, it's easier to ask the toll collector.

Here are several in more or less east to west order:

The Empire Diner, Herkimer, NY less than a mile from the Herkimer Exit.

Canastota NY, The Canastota Dineraunt (if it's still open, it was in March) about 3 minutes from the exit of the same name.

Syracuse, NY, Doc's Little Gem Diner. Take the exit for I-481. Follow 481 a short distance south, get on I-690 West, follow 690 mostly thru the city till you see the exits for Spencer St or Bear St. Doc's is close by. You can also get right back on 690 West which leads right back to I-90.

Waterloo, NY, Connie's Diner. Take the Waterloo/Seneca Falls Exit, go south on NY 414 till you come to US 20 (5 miles or so) Turn right on US 20, Connie's will be on your right after about a mile. No need to backtrack here either, go a short distance on US 20 and turn right on NY 96, it will take you right back to I-90 one exit further west.

Rockester, NY The Highland Park Diner, 900 block of South Clinton Ave @ Goodman St. More complicated to get to and about 10 miles from I-90. Best to use mapquest or ask at toll booth.

Good eating and have a safe trip!

Wally
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1474
    RE: Long New York Highways 2004/04/29 17:43:22 (permalink)
    Of course you can't forget the Dinosar BBQ in Syracuse or Rochester. A menu and directions can be found on their website: www.dinosaurbarbque.com.

Try a fritatta at Doc's if the Dino doesn't appeal.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5