Helpful ReplyHot!Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) and mini three-stop morning.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1174
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/10 16:23:07 (permalink)
hatteras04
I'm curious of the price for the baguette.  I don't see it in the pics and it's not listed on their website.  The thing we notice in Paris is that they are usually in the neighborhood of one euro.  The best one we had last month was 1.25.  Even the ones we got from the grocery store were very very good.  Around here I can get a decent one but it is sure to be at least $3 and probably closer to $5.

I’m not sure. I wasn’t paying attention to the price.
post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/01/10 16:24:52
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/10 17:16:03 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ChiTownDiner
Davidsanders
I’m virtually positive I’ll be there. Not sure how much I’ll be able to do afterwards, because it’s a busy day if laundry and packing, and, oh yes, I have to lose 10 pounds before the tour starts on Sunday night. 😡😡😹😹

Said the guy who reeled me in with HMPC and Poochies....

I know. I’ll go with you and have something. When I walk in the door of HM it will be hard to resist. And Poochie’s.

We are limiting ourselves to three stops...I don't think I can take more with Buddy in his PJ's....
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6618
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/10 17:16:55 (permalink)
Whadda you got against My Little Pony???

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9203
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/10 19:31:58 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
The Pickled Herring and Smoked Ham Sandwiches have the most appeal for me, followed by the Green Onion Avocado.

All with plenty of grilled onions, no doubt.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/10 21:41:14 (permalink)
Just to be clear, those are two separate sandwiches.  And your picky attitude toward grilled onions is balanced off by my undying love for them.  Not so sure about the Pickled Herring, but they'd be most welcome with the Smoked Ham.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/11 08:27:23 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Just to be clear, those are two separate sandwiches.  And your picky attitude toward grilled onions is balanced off by my undying love for them.  Not so sure about the Pickled Herring, but they'd be most welcome with the Smoked Ham.

Buddy

For the record...I enjoy grilled onions...really enjoy!

Also for the record...the thought of seeing "Your Little Pony" is both disturbing and frightening all at once.  I will save you a seat next to David...with one final D so as not to invite any fine comments. 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/12 07:50:59 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ChiTownDiner
Davidsanders
I’m virtually positive I’ll be there. Not sure how much I’ll be able to do afterwards, because it’s a busy day if laundry and packing, and, oh yes, I have to lose 10 pounds before the tour starts on Sunday night. 😡😡😹😹

I know. I’ll go with you and have something. When I walk in the door of HM it will be hard to resist. And Poochie’s.

All systems are go...
Davidsanders
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/12 08:13:34 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Davidsanders
ChiTownDiner
Davidsanders

All systems are go...

For me as well.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/12 08:58:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/12 09:20:19
Be there at 10am.  Strong Norwegian coffee needed.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/12 10:57:33 (permalink)
That should take care of "all systems go" for you...
Davidsanders
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/12 22:49:43 (permalink)
This morning I met the ChiTownDiner and Buddy Roadhouse at Lost Larson. I guess my photos from earlier in the week had been good enough to make them both want to make the trip. And naturally, we couldn't let them make that effort without adding a couple of other stops.

Gregg recreating the pose that I had posted of my friend Russell. 

This looked really good, but we didn't try it.

I got another plain croissant.

Unfortunately it seemed dry this morning, and didn't have that buttery taste and feel that the one I had on Wednesday had.

I also got a slice of the Dutch Apple Pie.

The pie was excellent, although I didn't love the crust. 

Gregg ordered a goat cheese leek and dill quiche which I tried. It was a bit custardy for me, but had good flavor.

Jeff had a chocolate croissant.

Lots of chocolate. I had a small taste and enjoyed it.

Gregg got his go-to almond croissant. 

I also had a small taste of this, and it was good, not great.

Gregg and Jeff ordered a couple of open-faced sandwiches to share. This was ham and havarti cheese, and I believe lingonberry jam.

I had a small taste and really liked the toast it was on.

I believe this was an avocado and onion spread with fresh veggies. I didn't try it, but they both seemed to like it.

Here's Jeff wondering why I'm taking his picture.

Here's Gregg mocking me for taking Jeff's picture.

Our next stop was Hoosier Mama, because, well, because how can a Roadfooder come anywhere near the vicinity of Evanston and not go to Hoosier Mama.

Gregg trying to figure out which pie to leave out.

Jeff and I were disappointed because Gregg only ordered three slices. And yes, he did share them with us.

This was the grapefruit thyme chess. 

This is a very interesting and delicious pie. None of us had had it before. I didn't remember ever seeing it on the menu before, but the owner Paula Haney assured me that they do make it occasionally. 

Next was the pink peppercorn black forest pie. I've had this a couple of times, including the day that Cliff and Gregg came to take over the shop. (It's in Cliff's end of the year report.) This is a fabulous pie.

This is the incredible Hoosier Sugar Cream pie. It's hard to imagine how anything so simple could be so incredible.

Gregg taking a picture of the three slices of pie.

Jeff mocking Gregg taking a picture of the pies.

The second course(s) were next. This was an absolutely outstanding slice of bacon gouda spinach quiche.

This was a slice of chicken tomatillo savory pie. It was also wonderful. It was the first time I had tried any of her savory pies.

For our third and final stop of the morning we headed over to Poochie's. 

A char dog with Merkts cheddar cheese and grilled onions.

A char salami sandwich with mustard, relish and grilled onions on two hot dog buns instead of one french bread roll.

An order of fries with Merkts cheddar. I thought the cheese could have been a bit more melted so it wouldn't have been quite so thick, but it was still great. The sandwiches were great as well. 

I had a great time with these three stops and these great Roadfooders. 

Lost Larson
5318 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60640
https://www.lostlarson.com

Hoosier Mama
749 Chicago Ave.

Evanston, IL 60202
http://hoosiermamapie.com

Poochie’s
3602 Dempster St.
Skokie, IL 60076
http://www.poochieshotdogs.com

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/01/12 22:54:17
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/13 02:08:15 (permalink)
Shouldn't you be on a plane to Taipei right now?

It's true, today was motivated by a trip to a new destination, Lost Larson Bakery, and it was fine.  But all the home runs were hit at the two known quantities.

I was happy with all the selections at LLB, but my appreciation for pastries doesn't reach the same level as my two dining companions.  CTD gave most of the choices there fair to middling marks.  I was far more generous, especially with the Almond and Chocolate Croissants.  The savory options also made a solid impression, but that's just the way my taste buds are oriented.

After that, there were no weak links, just some happy discoveries.  The quiche and savory pie at Hoosier Mama were top notch, especially the Chicken Tomatillo pie.  It was thick and rich with intense flavors of finely shredded chicken and a nicely tangy tomatillo filling, with just a hint of heat.

And of course, Poochie's is what it is.  How do you go wrong with that gorgeous Char-Salami smothered in Grilled Onions (aka: The ScreamingChicken Special).

All in all, an excellent outing, and we got it all done before the worst of the snowstorm hit.  Here's hoping we do it again soon, and maybe get a little more advance notice out there, so more Contingent members can join us.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/13 02:36:51 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Shouldn't you be on a plane to Taipei right now?

It's true, today was motivated by a trip to a new destination, Lost Larson Bakery, and it was fine.  But all the home runs were hit at the two known quantities.

I was happy with all the selections at LLB, but my appreciation for pastries doesn't reach the same level as my two dining companions.  CTD gave most of the choices there fair to middling marks.  I was far more generous, especially with the Almond and Chocolate Croissants.  The savory options also made a solid impression, but that's just the way my taste buds are oriented.

After that, there were no weak links, just some happy discoveries.  The quiche and savory pie at Hoosier Mama were top notch, especially the Chicken Tomatillo pie.  It was thick and rich with intense flavors of finely shredded chicken and a nicely tangy tomatillo filling, with just a hint of heat.

And of course, Poochie's is what it is.  How do you go wrong with that gorgeous Char-Salami smothered in Grilled Onions (aka: The ScreamingChicken Special).

All in all, an excellent outing, and we got it all done before the worst of the snowstorm hit.  Here's hoping we do it again soon, and maybe get a little more advance notice out there, so more Contingent members can join us.

Buddy

My flight is tomorrow night. I don't think there would have been any way I could have gone to those places today, dinner tonight and still lose 12 pounds before the flight tomorrow night. 

I was very happy with today, with the company and the food. 

David
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/13 04:10:17 (permalink)
Good luck losing the 12 pounds.  I hear it can get really uncomfortable in the overhead storage bin if you're carrying too much "baggage".

Have a safe flight!
Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/13 10:28:18 (permalink)
While Lost Larson was fine and Poochies was very fine, HMPC was Super Fine!  All five pies were absolutely perfect!  It is amazing the ability to consistently turn out such perfect pies, sweet or savory!  

I may go back today!  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/14 07:26:45 (permalink)
The Grapefruit Thyme Chess was so unusual and new to me.  The chunks of grapefruit, custardy filling, faint thyme flavor and of course, HMPC's signature crust made for a fantastic pie!  

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/14 08:07:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/01/14 09:32:40
Davidsanders
 I believe this was an avocado and onion spread with fresh veggies. I didn't try it, but they both seemed to like it.

ChiSalad15 would definitely approve.  He may even petition Joe Huber's to add this to the menu.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/14 09:22:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/01/14 09:32:43
ScreamingChicken
Davidsanders

ChiSalad15 would definitely approve.  He may even petition Joe Huber's to add this to the menu.

Better late than never....
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: Lost Larson Bakery Andersonville (Chicago) 2019/01/14 09:33:38 (permalink)
I'm never ordering a salad on these Roadfood trips.  #NeverAgain
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5