Low pork prices

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2795
2019/10/03 16:22:49 (permalink)

Low pork prices

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about higher pork prices (I couldn't find the old thread to post this there). Today I noticed in the paper's supermarket ads, just how CHEAP pork is today. I have not noticed a drop in prices for processed pork, though (sausage etc).

A local restaurant, Jimmy's, is offering a Duroc pork chop. Duroc is an older breed of hog, and growers are trying to do what the Angus folks did with beef 20 years ago. I have never knowingly eaten Duroc pork. Does anybody have experience?

1 Reply Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9294
    Re: Low pork prices 2019/10/03 18:19:33 (permalink)
    No experience with Duroc that I can think of specifically, but because it's just my wife and I at home now I've been moving toward the heritage breeds from local farms and so far it's been a pretty good experience.  Yes, it costs a little more but having to buy less of it helps balance things out.  Plus the stores around here seem to sell mostly Smithfield pork, and since Smithfield is now owned by an overseas outfit I'm not all that keen to buy it.

I'd say that you should definitely check out the chop at Jimmy's, but only if the kitchen will cook it to order.  Overcooked ordinary pork is bad enough, overcooked heritage pork is darn near criminal.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5