MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go?

Author
Alteran
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/12/06 10:38:19 (permalink)

MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go?

I'd looking for a few suggestions for a restaurant.

This coming Sat. I'm taking my elderly mother to see the Lorie Line matinee at the State Theatre in Minneapolis and I would like to take her to lunch at a fine restaurant first. She is not adventurous and would prefer classic American food, white tablecloth, linen napkin style. Bar b que at a finer style place would work also. I seem to remember one on a corner not too far from St. Thomas in St. Paul although it may be aways from there. The place I recall had a big buffet on Sundays. Anyplace from downtown Mlps. to east St. Paul would work.

Any ideas?

12 Replies Related Threads

saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1605
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 11:14:56 (permalink)
    Lorie Line was the piano player at our wedding in 1990, and my wife and I were married at the church on the campus of St. Thomas (she was a student there, I went to U of M).

The BBQ place you may be thinking of is Dixie's on Grand near Dale, but it isn't what it used to be. If you like walleye, the Tavern on Grand is about the best I've had (and good chicken/wild rice soup), but it's hardly fine dining.

A place that sounds more like what you are looking for is the St. Paul Grill in the St. Paul Hotel. White tablecloths, open for lunch, a pretty classy place, with steaks, sandwiches, and walleye. Servers are in white shirts with ties. The website is www.stpaulgrill.com

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 11:41:43 (permalink)
    The Twin City grill in the Mall of America is very good and their walleye is wonderful. It is not a typical mall restaurant. It is located on the main floor on the north entrance.

I guarantee that you will enjoy it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    saps
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 12:09:16 (permalink)
    Twin City Grill is part of Rich Melman's "Lettuce Entertain You" restaurant group based in Chicago. Typically, their restaurants are pretty good, and I had a good meal at the Twin City Grill a couple of years ago. Also in the Mall of America is a Magic Pan creperie.
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 12:38:20 (permalink)
    Wow, the advice you are getting is clearly not from locals or anybody in touch with the timing of your visit. Saturday is NOT a day for you to be taking your mother to the Mall of America-Christmas shopping is in full swing out there now and the crowds are excessive and the restaurants aren't worth the wait. Further, it's quite a distance from the show you will be seeing. Also, it's quite cold here now (-6 below this morning), with only slight warming predicted for the weekend, and if you are driving you may not be comfortable on some of the roads, as there is some ice out there also. I also wouldn't suggest going all the way from Downtown St. Paul (St. Paul Grill) to Downtown Mpls (State Theater) for the above reasons. There are so many quality places in Downtown Minneapolis that meet your criteria that you can't miss having lunch there. For "Classic American, Fine Restaurant", try Murrays, the Dakota, 112 Eatery, Nicollet Island Inn, Oceannaire-the list is quite long. For good 'que downtown, go to Market Barbeque, but it isn't the best in the area. Here's a link to a local website that might help you find some of these places. Good luck!

http://twincities.citysearch.com/find/section/twincities/restaurants.html?
    saps
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 12:47:21 (permalink)
    No, I'm no longer local, just trying to help out.

You're definitely right about the Mall of America this time of the year. Murray's would be a great place as is the Oceanaire in the Hyatt. I don't know if the Oceanaire is open for lunch, however.

Cedwin, while you're here, have you been to Wagner's Drive In for burgers?
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 15:20:15 (permalink)
    Yes, I've been to Wagner's Drive In for burgers-although not this time of year! They achieved some notoriety a couple of years ago because Mpl St. Paul magazine rated their burgers best in the area. Their burgers are OK, not great, and their onion rings are very good. They are an authentic drive-in, however, and that's worth a trip-kind of hard to get to, however.
    Neesie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 17:28:52 (permalink)
    Oh, about the Twin City Grill. I used to "secret shop" for the Lettuce Entertain You Group (and a few others). Their restaurants were always great. Although I really like the TC Grill, Tucci Bennuch, also a Lettuce restaurant, in the Mall of America is my favorite. I've been tempted to eat my purse while waiting for a table, the smell of garlic is soooo wonderful.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5774
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 20:19:11 (permalink)
    While a true barbecue con-a-sewer would turn their nose up at this place, Rudolph's on Lyman in Minneapolis fits the description of what you're looking for perfectly. It is literally white tablecloth barbecue. Again, it is not necessarily the best barbecue (cedwin is correct, Market Barbecue is better) but should suit the needs of pleasing your mother quite nicely.

Another place to try, given the "mother-in-tow" circumstances, is Pearson's. Pearson's is a Minneapolis institution serving "traditional" Nordic fare, famous for their Swedish Meatballs and noodles; the place for lunch for any high powered business lunch, assuming those dining have little tolerance for flavor in their food. We went there for dinner one night on a recommendation. I ordered a baked salmon mousse au gratin. Not only did it not have any flavor, it actually sucked the taste right out of my tongue! I know this doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but based on your description of mom's likes, it might be just what you're looking for.
    Alteran
    Junior Burger
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 21:42:07 (permalink)
    Oh my, Pearsons might be where to go. My mother is very tied into her Norwegian roots. Are they likely to have some nordic Christmas food
    other than the salted mutton ribs I had in Bergen one time. :( :)

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 21:52:20 (permalink)
    I've only been once. I'm afraid I cannot attest to the seasonality of their menu.

Also, please understand the caveat that goes with this recommendation: You don't state your age but I'm guessing Mom will probably enjoy Pearson's more than you will. That said, have a good time.
    Alteran
    Junior Burger
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 22:06:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

I've only been once. I'm afraid I cannot attest to the seasonality of their menu.

Also, please understand the caveat that goes with this recommendation: You don't state your age but I'm guessing Mom will probably enjoy Pearson's more than you will. That said, have a good time.

52 and 84. I'm hoping they have whale steak butlutefisk will be just fine. As long as they have genuine Norwegian lefse and sandbakkels my mother will be happy.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    RE: MPLS. ST. Paul Sat. lunch. Where to go? 2005/12/06 23:06:44 (permalink)
    Might not be quite that authentic. Just a heads up so you're not too terribly disappointed.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5