Hot!Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11609
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/13 12:16:26 (permalink)
I like The Big Texan in Amarillo,  Very touristy but also an interesting place.  I did not like their rib eyes, but enjoy their filets.  They have a large beer menu and it's the first place (and last) I've tried a flight of beer.  Lots of interesting brews on tap.

Gallup, New Mexico I've only eaten in their New Mexican restaurants.  The one I loved, The Ranch is no longer.

That said, I'd go back to Vergie's.  It's not a pretty plate, but the flavor of the dishes was very good.  It's right off of I40 and on Route 66.

When at Vergie's other patrons recommended Jerry's Cafe to me.  I had to Hit it on my next trip and through Gallup I tried it and I found it just ordinary and their sauces were not wonderful.  I live for New Mexican red and green sauces!

Driving around the area by Route 66 I spotted one I'd never tried, Genaro's Cafe.  That will be my next place to try if I ever get through there again.  It looked interesting.  There were lots of cars there.

I've tried El Charrito Inc.  Skip in.  No ambiance and school cafeteria tasting food.

I picked up food to go at Gordo's and maybe it's better if you dine in... but I doubt it.

So far Vergie's is my favorite.  That doesn't make it outstanding, it's just the best I've found.

Not one of those restaurants in New Mexico served beer.

Be prepared to have the locals trying to sell you inexpensive jewelry while you're eating.  The restaurants allow up front and personal Spamming of their patrons.

I pulled off of I40 in Tucumcari looking for a gas station and didn't veer off of Route 66.  I saw nothing including gas stations.  The only thing that looked interesting was a green chili burger advertised in the window of a Dairy Queen.  I didn't have it.

Loved Jerome, Arizona.  Had a Hatch Green Chili burger "somewhere" with a LONG wait and instead of driving on to Sedona which is why I went with a group of relatives after a wedding they opted for the antique shops in Jerome.

Next time I go to Sedona!  I ever realized it was so close to I40.

Brad,   I'll have 2 new puppies if I ever make that trip!  My deposit is in!!!

Don't EVER think about driving to Roswell! 

1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5469
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/14 13:13:04 (permalink)
Jerome was my favorite place in Az.
We used to go up to Payson and head East on 260 a lot. We would also go West to Camp Verde and then to Jerome. Sedona was too touristy for us. We already lived in Scottsdale and were trying to escape.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8165
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/18 16:29:51 (permalink)
No worries about Roswell, Mar...that sort of stuff doesn't interest me.

I've been fiddling with the itinerary and it now looks like we might be in the Wichita, KS area around lunchtime during our westbound Saturday.  I've been poking around online and have come up with some possibilities along the US-54/Kellogg Avenue corridor:

NuWAY - the original on Douglas Ave.
Town & Country - in business for 60 years.
Spear's - another 60-year veteran.
Dog-N-Shake - a 6-store, Wichita-only chain since 1962.

And should Wichita not work out, a different, slightly more northern route will take us to Hutchinson, the home of R-B Drive In and Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ.

Is anyone familiar with any of these places?  Thanks!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/02/18 16:30:59
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5873
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/18 21:16:05 (permalink)
FYI & FWIW, there's a Stroud's location in Wichita.  No personal promises or guarantees as to how it compares with any of the KC locations, but I've heard from others they do a good job.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/19 08:22:19 (permalink)
Yep, I noticed that.  But on Saturdays they don't open until 4pm, and by that time we hope to be hundreds of miles further west.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10242
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/19 08:37:39 (permalink)
if you go though Hutchinson then Roy's Hickory BBQ is a winner

If you go through Wichita, I would skip NuWay, it's nothing special, however I would detour 25 miles north to Newton (ONLY IF YOUR TRAVELING ON A WEEKDAY AT LUNCHTIME) to the Breadbasket - a classic high plains Mennonite restaurant offering the typical heartland style salad bar, Mennonite style soups and of course Bierocks. We will be stopping there on our cross country trip in September.
If you have to go through Wichita and can't detour then I would suggest TJ's Burger House. You're in the heart of the burger belt- and Wichita definitely has an obvious burger culture
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5397
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/19 09:06:39 (permalink)
If it's TJ's, its got to be good.....
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/19 09:25:57 (permalink)
Thanks, WJ.  I'd noticed TJ's on the map but hadn't given much thought to stopping there, even though it's in a convenient location.  We'd probably still hit NuWay because of the historical aspect.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10242
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/19 10:04:23 (permalink)
NuWay is certainly worth a visit if you've never been- I'll admit I've been there twice, the last time I visited out of convenience as it was near the Ball Park and needed quick meal since I was cutting it close. But honestly it wouldn't be my first (or tenth) meal under ordinary circumstances. Every does rave about the root beer- but I don't do sodas (blecch!! )
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12107
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/19 12:10:29 (permalink)
wanderingjew
NuWay is certainly worth a visit if you've never been- I'll admit I've been there twice, the last time I visited out of convenience as it was near the Ball Park and needed quick meal since I was cutting it close. But honestly it wouldn't be my first (or tenth) meal under ordinary circumstances. Every does rave about the root beer- but I don't do sodas (blecch!! )

The root beer at NuWay is outstanding!  Very cool atmosphere, too.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/21 13:19:37 (permalink)
I'd been thinking about Amarillo as a drive-by city but then I took a closer look at the map and found that Tyler's Barbeque is right off of I-40, and also just happened to make Texas Monthly's 50 Best list in 2017.  Yeah, no need to stop...I'll just grab a McRib somewhere instead.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6802
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/23 22:16:00 (permalink)
I've traveled Route 66 numerous and the frustrating thing is I have passed on many places that looked interesting but not 10:00 AM in the morning or 3:00 PM in the afternoon after eating breakfast or lunch. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/24 20:16:19 (permalink)
I think that's often par for the course, unfortunately.  I've put together a pretty good list but there's no way we're going to be able to make every stop, although it's better to have too many choices than not enough!
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1284
Re: Madison, WI to Sedona, AZ 2018/02/24 22:51:21 (permalink)
My brother came up from KY to visit so we went out for dinner. We were looking forward to Portillo's but the lines were too bloody long and no guarantee of even getting a seat, so we went to the nearby Main Street Poké. There are two locations of them (one in Carmel, IN and one in Fishers, IN. We were right by the Fishers location so that was our destination. We eat there reasonably frequently, (what can I say, we like marinated raw tuna and salmon). It was a first for my brother and he wasn't sure how he'd feel about raw fish. Amazingly he really liked it. I had my usual bowl. Good stuff!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5