Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland

Author
JB-ME
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
2015/01/27 20:07:58 (permalink)

Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland

Never been to this place, but if people will go there in a blizzard, currently still going on in Maine, well, that says something!! Even an 80-yr-old lady who went in after shoveling her driveway!
http://www.centralmaine.com/2015/01/27/bad-weather-cant-deter-patrons-staff-at-oaklands-early-bird/

6 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22597
    Re: Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland 2015/01/27 20:17:40 (permalink)
    Neat!
    JB-ME
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland 2015/01/28 09:21:44 (permalink)
    I agree MH. I especially got a kick out of the 80-yr-old out shoveling her driveway and then going out for a bite to eat. Forget about the blizzard still going on. That lady sounds like someone interesting to know, and she was probably fun to interview for the article in the paper. I am a long way from 80, have a neighbor up the road who plows my driveway, and wouldn't have at all wanted to drive yesterday. Snow was blowing sideways and as heavy as I've ever seen it or care to see it. Glad it is all but done with us and now hammering Nova Scotia. And my plow guy came a couple of hours ago. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22597
    Re: Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland 2015/01/28 11:15:34 (permalink)
    Truth to tell, I envy you the snow. We have about two inches still on the ground from last week and temperatures this morning were 10-12 ABOVE. So naturally, they closed some schools for fear the tender little ones might get cold.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11449
    Re: Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland 2015/01/28 12:25:53 (permalink)
    What a cool lady!  Me too, I wish we had all that snow!  I read in the Fairbanks News Miner that there would be no after-school activities because the high only got to -42.  Yep, you read that right....minus 42 degrees.  Good heavens, in the lower 48 they would close everything!
    JB-ME
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland 2015/01/28 16:21:11 (permalink)
    Last weekend we got a few inches--enough so that my plow guy came and the town plow contractors were out and plowing much of Saturday night and early Sunday. Then this blizzard started hitting us late Monday night or early Tuesday morning. The winds were really going at a steady mid-20s and gusting to 45+ mph. Lucky that my lights stayed. Not even a flicker. My plow guy actually came twice--yesterday evening and then again this morning to take care of the little bit at the end of the storm. Total according to him for this storm where we live = 24 inches. Current temp = 21, windchill = 9, and the predicted low tonight = -4, and I don't even want to know what the windchill is going to be tonight. And the real kicker--there is another snowstorm on Friday and Saturday. And the possibility of another large storm next week. We have gotten into a stormy pattern. Not fun after awhile!
    Michael Hoffman
    ...temperatures this morning were 10-12 ABOVE. So naturally, they closed some schools for fear the tender little ones might get cold.

Oooohhh, snarky MH!
    lleechef
    What a cool lady!  Me too, I wish we had all that snow!  I read in the Fairbanks News Miner that there would be no after-school activities because the high only got to -42.  Yep, you read that right....minus 42 degrees.  Good heavens, in the lower 48 they would close everything!

They usually only close schools here for bad road conditions. I can't ever remember a time when they closed schools because it was cold--unless the heating was out at a particular school. Maybe the next storm will hit you and go out to sea south of us. I wouldn't mind a bit. It can get to 20 below or so here, but not often. Below zero, sure. We had a windchill here of -35 a few weeks ago.

JB-ME
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Maine restaurant open despite blizzard--Early Bird Restaurant in Oakland 2015/01/28 16:41:50 (permalink)
    I posted this yesterday at the Cook's Restaurant thread. It's Maine and it's going to snow.
    http://bennetttheredonethat.bangordailynews.com/2015/01/27/video-this-is-maine-and-its-going-to-snow/#.VMfrMXxLtY8.facebook
    Funny...even in Maine people rush out to buy milk, bread, and toilet paper, when a big storm is forecast.

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5