Making Butter In A Mason Jar

Author
eruby
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
2016/11/14 13:30:21 (permalink)

Making Butter In A Mason Jar

After seeing Jacques Pépin and his granddaughter make butter by shaking cream in a jar, I have wanted to give it a try.

We started out with a pint of cream and a one quart Mason jar.  I wanted to get unpasteurized cream but that (like raw milk) is verboten in the People's Republic of Maryland.  I saw several Youtube videos where folks used Walmart cream, but I got some 'fancy' $5 a pint cream for my first attempt.

We bought the cream a week ago so some of the cream was starting to thicken up quite a bit, like clotted cream or 'almost butter'. We put it in the quart Mason jar.

After about 2 minutes of shaking, it was like VERY thick whipped cream.

A couple more minutes of shaking and I got the cream to 'break' and form butter. We had butter and buttermilk in the jar.

Here is the butter after draining the buttermilk.

Here is the buttermilk.

We added some cold water to the jar a couple of times and shook it again to wash away more milk/residue.  This 'cleans up' the butter.  If salt is desired, this is when it would be added, though we did not add any.

Freshly made butter on a piece of Pita. Blurry picture as I was still wheezing from the shaking.

A ball of golden goodness.

The butter yield was a lot more than I thought it would be (above is about half of what was made), and per several videos, it went much faster as we took the cream out of the fridge for 45 minutes before starting.   The cats even approved and were all over the residue on the counter.  The whole process took less than 15 minutes.

I know it would be easier to use a blender, or food processor, but I was intrigued by the 'shaking jar' method and wanted to give it a go.
post edited by eruby - 2017/07/26 10:13:05

12 Replies Related Threads

scrumptiouschef
    • Total Posts : 1914
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/14 13:40:54 (permalink)
    Great work. We had a butter party a few years back where we did the same thing but with multiple quarts of good cream. Then we all hit the kitchen and made butter-based recipes and drank about 15 bottles of wine. It's a fun party idea.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11466
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/14 18:30:16 (permalink)
    Excellent!  I love photo-journalism.

I've also made butter but it was by accident.  I really wanted a thick whipped cream.

Good job!
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1207
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/14 20:05:15 (permalink)
    Nifty! Like Mar, I've also made butter in my restaurant days, by not paying enough attention to the mixer. Might have to make some more one of these days, but I really like the Irish stuff I've been using.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2578
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/15 14:57:26 (permalink)
    eruby
    .........  I saw several Youtube videos where folks used Walmart cream, but I got some 'fancy' $5 a pint cream for my first attempt................

As per your request, a comment.............(lol)
    When my kids were young, we made butter in a mixer. Your method looks like  more fun, and I had planned to try it without comment. I plan to make it with the grandchildren in a year or two. As for the WalMart cream, I don't know the legal requirements for "heavy" cream. The "heavy" cream from WalMart does not seem to be as heavy as that from my local dairy, Pearson's. I'm a fan of WalMart, and some of their store brand stuff is as good or better than brand names. Their heavy cream is an excellent product, but Pearson's is, IMO, better. 
    eruby
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/15 15:05:37 (permalink)
    tmiles
    eruby
    .........  I saw several Youtube videos where folks used Walmart cream, but I got some 'fancy' $5 a pint cream for my first attempt................

As per your request, a comment.............(lol)
    When my kids were young, we made butter in a mixer. Your method looks like  more fun, and I had planned to try it without comment. I plan to make it with the grandchildren in a year or two. As for the WalMart cream, I don't know the legal requirements for "heavy" cream. The "heavy" cream from WalMart does not seem to be as heavy as that from my local dairy, Pearson's. I'm a fan of WalMart, and some of their store brand stuff is as good or better than brand names. Their heavy cream is an excellent product, but Pearson's is, IMO, better. 

Agree about the WalMart cream.  It will work (or it did in some of the videos) but I very much doubt it will be as good as what I got from Trickling Springs.  And from what I read, it will tak a lot more shaking to get the cream to 'break' into butter and milk.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5774
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/15 15:12:17 (permalink)
    We performed this "experiment" back when I was in nursery school.  Our teacher poured the cream into a jar, then passed it around the room, allowing each child to shake it for as long as they could endure.  Sure enough, by the time the jar made it around the circle, we had butter to spread on crackers.

At four years old, I didn't fully appreciate the experience as I might today.  Back in those days, the biggest problem we had was keeping our togas from flapping up over our heads as we shook the jar.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8008
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2016/11/15 21:28:09 (permalink)
    eruby
    I know it would be easier to use a blender, or food processor, but I was intrigued by the 'shaking jar' method and wanted to give it a go.

My son-in-law has a part-time job at the local hardware store, so I'm thinking the paint shaker could do the job...
    eruby
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2017/07/26 09:17:48 (permalink)
    Deleted the old 'photobucket' pictures and added them as 'flickr' pictures.

I only see black squares with a white X inside, but that me be a work computer issue.

Can anyone see the pics in the OP?
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2017/07/26 09:45:40 (permalink)
    Are you using the link for message boards?  I don't know what it's called in Flickr.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8824
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2017/07/26 09:52:04 (permalink)
    Sorry, no pictures.
    eruby
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2017/07/26 10:15:24 (permalink)
    Looks like it worked now.

What a misery.  I probably drove 95 miles to get from point A to point B which was 95 feet away.

Recently we used Aldi heavy cream to make some ice cream and the left over cream made just as good butter as did the expensive cream in the OP.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Making Butter In A Mason Jar 2017/07/26 10:44:57 (permalink)
    I've also made butter flecked ice cream.  It's from not taking it out of the machine soon enough.

The ice cream needs to be like soft serve and then you firm it up in the freezer.

I donated my $500 Salton ice cream maker.  I bought it at a garage sale.  Did you really think I'm crazy enough to spend $500 on an ice cream maker?
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5