March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip

Author
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 590
2017/03/20 23:01:21 (permalink)

March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip

Tuesday, March 7th 

For my latest trip down south I once again flew into Raleigh and drove to Chapel Hill. One of the benefits of taking a 6 a.m. flight from Chicago is that I can get to Chapel Hill for breakfast and head to Sunrise Biscuits. As always, it was terrific. 

This is such a non-descript, unpretentious building, but what comes out of it is superb. 

My bacon biscuit. Just perfect. 

A generous helping of bacon. 

Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen
1305 East Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 496-2609
http://sunrisebiscuits.com/ 

For the first time on one of my trips, I had trouble with my rental car. The 12 volt charger wasn’t working, and I couldn’t manage without my GPS, so I had to go to a branch to exchange cars. I had planned to spend this time walking in the North Carolina Botanical Gardens; instead I sat in a rental car office. An hour and a half later I headed for lunch. Normally when I’m in Chapel Hill I always go to Allen and Son, but they are now closed on Tuesdays. I had been to Stephenson’s Bar-B-Q in August, 2014, and liked it a lot, so I decided to try it again. 

A beautiful setting. 

They have quite an extensive menu. 

When they bring you the menu they bring a tray of crushed ice for whatever drink you might order. It’s a really nice touch. 

I ordered the pig and chicken combo, with white meat fried chicken. Since they fry the chicken to order, and say to allow 30 minutes, they recommend that you call in advance, which I did from the road. After I ordered I had only about a five minute wait. Barbecue, fried chicken, hand cut fries and collards. I enjoyed the lunch very much. While it’s not my favorite place in the area, I was happy to visit them again.

Close-up of the barbecue. 

Close-up of the fried chicken. 

Close-up of the collards. 

They also include hush puppies. 

Stephenson’s Bar-B-Q
11964 NC 50 Hwy N
Willow Spring, NC 27592
(919) 894-4530
https://www.yelp.com/biz/stephensons-bar-b-q-willow-spring 

From Stephenson’s I headed to the wonderful little town of Hillsborough and Matthew’s Chocolates. I had a scoop of gelato (gianduja and pistachio) and a few pieces of his wonderful chocolate. 

Matthew’s Chocolates
107 N. Churton St.
Hillsborough, NC 27278
(919) 732-0900 https://www.facebook.com/Matthewschocolates/ 

After Hillsborough I headed back to Chapel Hill to check into my hotel and rest a bit. I then went to the Franklin Street restaurant area of Chapel Hill to walk a bit and to visit the bookstore. 

And the cats. 

I was very sorry to read that this wonderful book store is closing. But they have found a home for the cats. 

For dinner I headed back to Lexington for my third visit to Lexington Barbecue, or Lexington No. 1. My first time there I didn’t love it. Last August I loved it. This time it was utterly fantastic. I’m so happy I went back, even though it was a long drive both ways from Chapel Hill. 

I love the artifacts throughout the restaurant. 

My dinner of barbecue sandwich with red slaw, hush puppies, beans and a pork skin. 

Close-up of the sandwich. 

Wonderful hush puppies. 

I liked the beans a lot, even though during my last visit the waitress had told me not to bother. 

They have a “tray of pork skins” on the menu, but when I asked about it, the waitress said I could just have one. I don’t know if I was charged or not, but it certainly didn’t matter. This was incredible. 

I ended with a pretty good piece of chocolate pie, not great. It had good flavor, but I didn’t love the crust. I also didn’t love the meringue, and the waitress had warned me about it and told me that it could be easily removed. I was pretty full by that time and just ate around it. 

Lexington Barbecue
100 Smokehouse Lane
Lexington, NC 27295
(336) 249-9814
http://www.lexbbq.com 

Much more to come......

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/20 23:54:52

27 Replies Related Threads

Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/20 23:47:14 (permalink)
    Wednesday, March 8th

I began the day again at Sunrise Biscuits. This time I had a plain, but they asked me if I wanted buttered or plain, which I noticed was an option on the drive-thru window, so I said buttered! It seemed more golden than yesterday, and it definitely had a more buttery taste to it. It was wonderful. 

As I have said many times, one of the real highlights for me on these trips is visiting Grady’s in Dudley, North Carolina. Once again, it was wonderful. I love the atmosphere, the people, and the food. 

The wood pile. 

A pretty bad selfie. 

Unfortunately they didn’t have any white meat fried chicken, which is one of my great loves there. I went with a thigh. I couldn’t decide between the steamed cabbage and collards, so I had both. 

Close-up of the sandwich. 

Close-up of the cabbage. 

Close-up of the collards. 

Close-up of the chicken thigh. The golden brown breading is wonderful. 

Second sandwich. 

Close-up of second sandwich. It was even better than the first. 

Grady’s Barbecue
    3096 Arrington Bridge Rd
    Dudley, NC 28333
    (919) 735-7243 https://www.yelp.com/biz/gradys-barbecue-dudley 

After Grady’s I started driving towards Charleston, stopping at the rest area just past the border of North and South Carolina. It was a very beautiful day. 

I got to my hotel in Charelston and went directly to the river to walk around, one of my favorite things to do, day or night. 

Full moon. It was actually a crystal clear sky, but my iPhone photo camera isn’t good enough to show that. 

For dinner I went to Hominy Grill. I had been here once for a biscuit and bacon breakfast, but this was my first full meal. I had read Buffetbuster’s and Wandering Jew’s reports on their meals here last year and wanted to try it for dinner. I enjoyed it a lot. 

They bring a little tray of boiled peanuts. I had them once before and didn’t like them. These were a little better, but I still don’t like them. 

These are the shells of the ones I ate. This is all I could manage. And I love peanuts. 

I had been studying the menu, and there were two things I wanted to try, the shrimp bog and the fried chicken. I didn’t really want two dinners, but I did want to try both. I started with the fried chicken, the two piece white meat, with a side of collards. 

Close-up of the chicken. It was very good, with a nice crust. 

Close-up of the collards. These were really great, with ham hocks. 

A close-up of the inside of the chicken breast. It was a little dry, but it was very tasty. I didn’t finish it because I knew what was coming. 

The shrimp bog. Very good shrimp, Andouille sausage and Carolina gold rice. I think the rice was cooked down to almost a porridge, which is not something I love. But I still enjoyed the dish. 

I think I would have enjoyed it more if the sausage had been bigger pieces and more plentiful, with a little more kick to it. 

The shrimp were very good. 

While this was an excellent meal, for some reason it didn’t thrill me like I thought it would. For one thing, I had passed up stopping at D & H Barbecue in Manning, South Carolina, one of my favorite places, because I wanted to try something different. I definitely have enjoyed the fried chicken at D & H much more than I did at Hominy Grill.

Hominy Grill
    207 Rutledge Ave.
    Charleston, SC 29403
    (843) 937-0930
    http://hominygrill.com 

Much more to come......
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/20 23:56:54
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 701
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 00:07:47 (permalink)
    Loving your report so far. The meal at Lexington No.1 looks incredible.
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 00:30:27 (permalink)
    Thursday, March 9th

I had originally planned on returning to Hominy Grill for breakfast, and I had a hard time making up my mind. I had been to Kitchen 208 a couple of years before and they had a really nice outdoor eating area, so I decided on that. 

While the lineup of biscuits looked impressive, maybe I should have worried about the fact that there were so many already ready to go, instead of just coming out of the oven. 

This is a nice place to sit outside, although there was unfortunately a man with a leaf blower across the street making sure that there wasn’t one spec of dirt or one leaf anywhere on any portion of King Street. 

While the bacon was pretty good, I took a couple of bites of the biscuits and dumped them. 

Kitchen 208
    208 King Street
    Charleston, SC
    (843) 725-7208
    https://www.kitchen208.com 

I happened to be not too far from this chocolate shop I had been to last November. I thought I would get something for later. 

I was intrigued by the sign, after all the croissants I had had in Europe in January. 

So many choices. 

They also have a nice, and secluded outdoor eating area. 

I ate my croissant outside. It was okay, better than the biscuits I had just had. 

These were saved for later. Front to back, left to right, all milk chocolate: peanut butter and two gianduja; pistachio and two hazelnut; a cherry and pistachio tart. These are wonderful chocolates. 

Close-up of the pistachio and cherry tart. 

Since the chocolates and the tart were to come later, I still wanted something else for breakfast. I decided to go back to the biscuit place I had been to in November. 

There was quite a long wait, but they were very good. I took them to go (there’s virtually no place to sit, just a few seats at a counter which is always full and very crowded) to the Starbucks down the street. I had just finished the biscuits when it was announced that the Starbucks was closing. Their water to the coffee maker wouldn’t stop running, so they had to shut down for repairs. 

Nice grease/butter stain. 

Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit
    476 1⁄2 King Street
    Charleston, SC
    (843) 737-5159
    http://calliesbiscuits.com 

After my three breakfasts I went back to the river to walk around the park and the river walk for awhile. 

One of the glorious houses across the street from the river. 

One of my main purposes for this trip was to try Rodney Scott’s new barbecue restaurant, recently opened in Charleston. I had been to the Scott’s in Hemingway in August and loved it. I was not disappointed. This is great barbecue. 

Long lines had been reported in the opening days, but today wasn’t too bad. 

The small but pleasant outdoor patio. It was pretty crowded but I asked a couple who were sitting at one of the long tables if I could join them. They were very hospitable and we wound up having a very pleasant conversation about the new restaurant and southern barbecue restaurants in general. I also was able to offer to share my hush puppies and one of my ribs, which they eagerly accepted. I couldn’t possibly have finished what I ordered, and was happy to share. 

The restaurant doesn’t yet offer any combination plates, but they figured out a way for me to try the ribs and the pulled pork, by ordering a rib sandwich (which is a smaller portion of ribs with two slices of white bread) and a side of pulled pork by bulk, which is what I did. This is my rib sandwich (they left off the white bread at my request) with a side of perlo rice. 

The ribs were glorious. 

Close-up of the perlo rice, which I loved. 

The pieces of sausage were wonderful. 

The half pound of pulled pork was served as a sandwich, even though I had ordered it in bulk. 

Shown with some of Rodney’s Sauce, which is a vinegar and pepper sauce. You can see the flecks of the pepper. I forgot to take a photo of the two sauces, marked Rodney’s Sauce and Other Sauce (or something like that). 

My hush puppies were good, but I didn’t love them. 

Other than hush puppies, I absolutely loved every bite of everything that I had at Rodney Scott’s magnificent restaurant. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Rodney Scott’s BBQ
    1011 King Street
    Charleston, SC
    (843) 990-9535
    http://www.rodneyscottsbbq.com 

After lunch I drove from Charleston to Savannah. This is the bridge on the approach to the city. 

After checking into my hotel I walked through the some of the squares like I always like to do. I love walking in this city. It was a great clear blue sky with a full moon during the late afternoon. 

For dinner I went to a new to me place on Tybee Island. 

While the restaurant is Gerald’s Pig and Shrimp, I had read that the pork is not nearly as good as the shrimp, so I went with the shrimp. 

They have a lot of signs. It’s interesting to note that there is no indoor seating at the restaurant. It is all outdoors. It was a nice evening, a little on the cool side. Much cooler and I would not have felt comfortable enough to eat outside. 

I ordered the fried shrimp dinner, which came with two sides plus hush puppies. I had hand cut fries and coleslaw, with an extra side of cucumber salad, brined with onions and basil. It was an excellent dinner. The shrimp were really tender, and very plentiful! I liked all the sides. I did find that the cocktail sauce was a bit on the thin side. 

Close-up of the shrimp. 

Close-up of the slaw. 

Close-up of the cucumber salad. 

The fries and hush puppies. Everything was excellent.

Gerald’s Pig and Shrimp
    115 E. Hwy 80
    Tybee Island, GA
    (912) 786-4227
    http://www.tybeebbq.com 

My every-nightly dessert in Savannah is always Leopold’s. The best pistachio ice cream anywhere. 

I was sitting outside, so the light wasn’t very good for pictures. 

Leopold’s Ice Cream
    212 E. Broughton St.
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 234-4442
    https://www.leopoldsicecream.com 

Much more to come......

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/21 00:36:52
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 00:45:37 (permalink)
    chickenplucker
    Loving your report so far. The meal at Lexington No.1 looks incredible.

Thanks!
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10298
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 09:39:56 (permalink)
    I always look forward to your reports!
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 09:43:12 (permalink)
    ann peeples
    I always look forward to your reports!

How nice! I appreciate it.
    David

Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 10:25:46 (permalink)
    Friday, March 10th

I started the day by heading to one of my favorite Savannah stops, the old diner Clary’s. I’ve only ever had breakfast here, but they do have a fairly extensive lunch menu as well. And mostly I’ve just had biscuits and an order of bacon. 

I really love their biscuits. 

And the bacon is really good too. 

Clary’s Café
    404 Abercorn Street
    Savannah, GA 31401
    (912) 233-0402
    http://www.claryscafe.com/contacts/ 

I had read an article online at dining.savannahnow.com about a bakery that made fantastic donuts. They don’t have a shop, and the donuts are sold at a couple of locations, including the Smith Brothers Butcher Shop. I went there to try a donut after Clary’s. They had a couple of varieties, and I went with a plain glazed. I have to say, I’ve had much, much better donuts. I had only a couple of bites and dumped it. It wasn’t worth the calories. On the other hand, the butcher shop looked very interesting, and they do make sandwiches. 

Smith Brothers Butcher Shop
    535 E. Liberty St.
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 239-4512
    http://www.smithbrothersbutchershop.com 

After the unsatisfying donut, I headed back to another of my favorite Savannah places, Back in the Day Bakery. This is a wonderful bake shop. 

Unfortunately, I had gotten there too late for the buttermilk biscuits, but they did have an “everything” biscuit, akin to an everything bagel. I wasn’t thrilled by the prospect, but I gave it a try. 

I split the biscuit and ate the bottom half, then started pulling off the layers from the top half. I didn’t actually eat the top, but the rest of the biscuit was really good. 

As long as I was there, I got a chocolate chip cookie and a blueberry muffin. Both were very good. 

Loaded with blueberries! 

Back in the Day Bakery
    2403 Bull Street
    Savannah, GA 31401
    (912) 495-9292
    http://www.backinthedaybakery.com 

I went back to my hotel, parked my car and walked to Forsyth Park. 

As I walked into the park I heard what sounded like either a religious or a political rally, neither one of which I wanted to get involved with. It turned out that it was a St. Patrick’s Day celebration, and they were turning all the fountains green! It was very entertaining. There was a big crowd there, all having a great time. 

For lunch I went to yet another one of my favorite Savannah places, A.J.’s Dockside. I love this place. The setting of the outdoor patio is wonderful. 

And the food is great. 

Close-up of the wonderful fried shrimp. 

I’m not sure if the fries are hand cut, but they’re very good. 

The cat from last year is still there. They’re obviously taking care of him/her. 

A-J’s Dockside
    1315 Chatham Ave.
    Tybee Island, GA 31328
    (912) 786-9533
    http://ajsdocksidetybee.com 

Next stop was a walk along Tybee Island Beach. 

Wildlife sighting! 

.......continued
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/21 15:56:44
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11363
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 12:09:38 (permalink)
    My oh my!  All those biscuits, hush puppies, BBQ, fried shrimp, fried chicken!!  Roadfood paradise!! 
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 14:30:44 (permalink)
    My home wifi died a couple of hours ago. I wasn't able to finish the day. I hope to get back to it soon!
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 653
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 14:43:14 (permalink)
    This is Roadfood gold ...great job David.
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 15:48:59 (permalink)
    Friday, March 10th, continued......

Next was a return to even another favorite, Huey’s on the River. It always involves a trip down those steps. 

I love these beignets. In some ways there’s nothing better for me (not health-wise!). Fried dough and powdered sugar. 

Sights along the river. 

For dinner I went to another new to me restaurant, B’s Cracklin’. It has gotten a lot of good press and has some very good reviews. 

My dinner of ribs, collards, mac and cheese and cornbread. 

Close-up of the ribs. 

Very meaty. 

Close-up of the collards. They were pretty good. 

Close-up of the mac and cheese. This was not nearly warm enough. I had to dig down into the center in order to get a bite that was warm. 

Close-up of the cornbread. This was cold and stiff, with not much flavor. 

I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with my meal. It is likely that I just arrived too late in the evening, about 20 minutes before closing. I’m beginning to realize that I really prefer the barbecue in North and South Carolina, as opposed to what I have had in Savannah. My only other barbecue in Georgia was at Southern Soul, which I thought was magnificent.

B’s Cracklin’
    12409 White Bluff Road
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 330-6921
    http://www.bscracklinbbq.com

Dessert once again was a double pistachio at Leopold’s. Tonight the line was quite long, but so worth the wait. 

Much more to come.......

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/21 15:52:49
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 16:24:51 (permalink)
    Saturday, March 11th

I had walked by the Pie Society, the British pie shop, several times in my previous trips but had never tried anything. I decided today was the day. 

I ordered a scone with cream and jam and took it to one of the two outdoor tables. Much to my surprise the cream was like whipping cream or something. I went back inside and said I thought it would be clotted cream, since it was a British place. They said, okay, we can give you some clotted cream. 

Unfortunately, even with the clotted cream, it wasn’t particularly good, stiff, cold, not much flavor. I probably should have gone with one of the pasties or rolls, which looked better. 

Pie Society
    19 Jefferson Street
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 238-1144
    http://thebritishpiecompany.com 

Not really satisfied, I decided to walk the half mile plus to Clary’s. When I got there in about 20 minutes, there must have been about 15 people waiting in line outside to get in, and all the outdoor tables (first come first served) were taken. So I walked back to my hotel and got my car and drove back to Back in the Day. It was pretty late by this time, and I didn’t expect there to be any biscuits left, but luckily there were. Once again, it was a very good biscuit. 

For lunch it was back to A-J’s. Interestingly, as I drove along the main street towards the restaurant, I noticed a lot of people sitting in folding chairs, block after block. When I got to A-J’s I asked if they new what was going on. It turns out there was going to be a parade in a few hours. It was another beautiful day on Tybee Island. 

And another great lunch. This time I had the potato salad instead of fries. 

The friendly cat. He doesn’t move from wherever he wants to be. 

The traffic was kind of heavy leaving, because of the upcoming parade. I cut down a side street and found that there were traffic stops to let some of the floats go by. I managed to take a picture of one. I had been to the Crab Shack on my first trip to Savannah, before I discovered A-J.’s. 

My next stop was back to Fort Pulaski National Monument. I think this was my third or fourth visit. It’s a nice place to walk, and it was really a glorious day. 

This tree was destroyed by Hurricane Matthew. The ranger told me there was about $2 million in damage to the Fort and grounds. 

As I was leaving, a couple were coming in with their Shelties. 

Fort Pulaski National Monument
    U.S. Highway 80
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 786-5787
    https://www.nps.gov/fopu/index.htm 

From Fort Pulaski I went to another historical site, Wormsloe, the colonial estate of Noble Jones, a carpenter who arrived in Georgia in 1733 from England with James Oglethorpe, universally recognized as Georgia’s first governor. 

The road into the site is lined with live oaks and Spanish moss. 

After briefly going through the museum I took the path that leads to what I thought was going to be the remains of the plantation estate. It was actually the ruins, and they really meant ruins. Just a couple of parts of the walls remain. It was still very interesting. 

Wormsloe Historic Site
    7601 Skidaway Road
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 353-3023
    http://www.gastateparks.org/Wormsloe 

From there I needed some sustenance, so it was back to Huey’s. The steeper staircase. 

I had originally planned on another barbecue restaurant for dinner tonight, leaning towards the Streamliner branch of Sandfly Barbecue. But after my disappointing barbecue the night before, and during my last trip, I decided to go in a different direction. I had read many good reviews of B & D Burgers, and I was very pleased with my choice. 

This was my six ounce burger with pimento cheese, and a side of onion rings. I really, really enjoyed it. 

Close-up of the burger with pimento cheese. 

Close-up of the onion rings. They were very good, but could have been warmer. I spoke to my waitress about that, and she had another batch made up for me. They came out just about the same way, maybe a little warmer, but to my mind they still could have been warmer. 

B & D Burgers
    13 Broughton Street
    Savannah, GA
    (912) 231-0986
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/b-and-d-burgers-savannah

As I walked towards my nightly dessert, I came across this place. Very good ice cream, but not in Savannah! 

It was too cool to sit outside, especially with ice cream, so the pictures with indoor lighting were much better, and the pistachio ice cream was just as great. 

Look at all those pistachios! 

Not much more to come.......

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/21 16:36:51
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 16:53:19 (permalink)
    Sunday, March 12th

On my last day, with my flight home leaving from Charlotte, I got a fairly early start and headed back to Clary’s. It was a chilly morning, so I sat inside. It was already pretty crowded so I sat at the counter. I decided on a slightly larger breakfast, instead of just biscuits and bacon, but without the breakfast potatoes. The biscuits this morning were spectacular, buttery, rich and flaky. I couldn’t have asked for anything better to start my last day of the trip. 

Close-up of the magnificent biscuit. 

The interior of Clary’s is full of reviews and decorations, including this review from a magazine that I had never heard of, and will never read.

The crowd is really enjoying their breakfast.

For lunch I was trying to decide on returning either to Maurice’s Piggie Park and their fantastic buffet, or Big Boys Original Smokehouse, for the incredible pork and gumbo. I decided I didn’t want the buffet, so drove on to Big Boys. It turns out that it was the wrong decision. This was a big disappointment. I wound up having a bag of chips at the airport for my dinner! 

This was my third trip to the Carolinas and Savannah in the last seven months. I enjoyed it just as much as the previous trips, and look forward to my return at the next opportunity. Sometimes I’m a bit disappointed because I’m not going to lots of new places all the time, but there have been quite a few that have become real favorites, so I will continue to visit them.

Here is my summary, such that it is.

My favorites:
    Grady’s
    Lexington Barbecue
    Rodney Scott’s BBQ
    A.J.’s Dockside
    Clary’s Diner
    Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen
    Leopold’s Ice Cream
    Back in the Day Bakery
    Huey’s on the River
    B & D Burgers

Runners up:
    Stephenson’s Barbecue
    Hominy Grill
    Gerald’s Pig and Shrimp
    Callie’s Little Hot Biscuits
    Matthew’s Chocolates
    Christophe’s Artisan Chocolatier-Patissier

Good:
    B’s Cracklin’

A disappointment:
    Kitchen 208
    Pie Society
    A Squad Bake Shop (donuts)

Thanks for reading!
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/03/22 15:37:20
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11363
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 17:15:28 (permalink)
    Beautiful report!  Your pictures, as usual, are fantastic.  Thank you for taking the time to share with us!
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 17:21:33 (permalink)
    lleechef
    Beautiful report!  Your pictures, as usual, are fantastic.  Thank you for taking the time to share with us!

Thank you so much for the kind words.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8687
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 17:29:50 (permalink)
    Enjoyed you report very much. Thanks so much!
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1130
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 18:25:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for letting me live your trip through your eyes. Great pics and some great dishes. That shrimp bog you had looked pretty good. The grains of rice make me think they use Carolina Gold rice grits, rather than full sized kernels. That gives things a creamy texture. It looked marvelous.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7853
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 19:59:01 (permalink)
    Great report, David!  Do you know the cause of the Wormsloe plantation house being reduced to ruins?

Davidsanders
    It was pretty crowded but I asked a couple who were sitting at one of the long tables if I could join them. They were very hospitable and we wound up having a very pleasant conversation about the new restaurant and southern barbecue restaurants in general. I also was able to offer to share my hush puppies and one of my ribs, which they eagerly accepted. I couldn’t possibly have finished what I ordered, and was happy to share.

The true spirit of barbecue!

Davidsanders
    I had read an article online at dining.savannahnow.com about a bakery that made fantastic donuts. They don’t have a shop, and the donuts are sold at a couple of locations, including the Smith Brothers Butcher Shop. I went there to try a donut after Clary’s. They had a couple of varieties, and I went with a plain glazed. I have to say, I’ve had much, much better donuts. I had only a couple of bites and dumped it. It wasn’t worth the calories. On the other hand, the butcher shop looked very interesting, and they do make sandwiches.

That's the universe telling you to always choose meat over pastry.

As I much prefer dark meat, I think we'd be perfect for splitting a chicken!
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 23:42:34 (permalink)
    Truly great report, David. What brings you to the Carolinas and Savannah so frequently? Do you have family there or something to do with your career? Just curious.
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/21 23:52:02 (permalink)
    mlm
    Truly great report, David. What brings you to the Carolinas and Savannah so frequently? Do you have family there or something to do with your career? Just curious.

Nope, no family. I just fell in love with the area, especially Savannah and Charleston, and the barbecue of North and South Carolina about five years ago, the first time I had it.
    eruby
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1052
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/22 06:45:01 (permalink)
    "We are closed due to weather".  Isn't there weather every day?

This is one of the best trip reports I have ever read.

Fantastic pictures, and great writing.

Thank you sir!!!!!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/22 08:34:25 (permalink)
    David

I am always jealous of anyone going to Sunrise Biscuits.  I've trunk dined a few times and it's always a winner.  My problem is deciding what to order and occasionally, I end up over ordering.

Matthews Chocolates looks like a winner.  I am addicted to coffee houses, bakeries and ice cream/candy stores and Matthews fits right in! 

Loved your progression at Lexington #1.  I've only been there twice and my first was not good.  The 2nd was on the bus trip and it was outstanding.  The red slaw grows on you!  Our small table of six received an order of pork skins and after the initial taste, we kept ordering them until we left....that good!

Christophe looks amazing...hoping we find something similar in KC!  Small bookstores and French pastry shops, please share if you've got any in mind for KC. 

Just visited Leopold's also and it is indeed an interesting and fun place, with good ice cream. 

What a range of places and photos...loved it, thanks for sharing! 

wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10007
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/22 08:43:28 (permalink)
    Great report David. Glad you got to enjoy Hominy Grill

My first trip to Lexington No. 1 was also very disappointing but on my second trip on the Charlotte Bus tour, it was spectacular

BTW based on ChiTownDiner's logic for my recent trip to So-Cal, you should have forgone the BBQ and Fried Shrimp and gone with Pizza and Tacos instead.
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 653
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/22 12:48:43 (permalink)
    Davidsanders
    mlm

Nope, no family. I just fell in love with the area, especially Savannah and Charleston, and the barbecue of North and South Carolina about five years ago, the first time I had it.

I think they should give you a % of A.J.'s or fly you down as a preferred guest. 

Again, A superb report as usual, although I was looking forward to you take on The Streamliner...maybe next time.
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/22 15:47:13 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Great report, David!  Do you know the cause of the Wormsloe plantation house being reduced to ruins?

No, I don't.

As I much prefer dark meat, I think we'd be perfect for splitting a chicken!

Sounds like a plan.
    Texascajun
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 267
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/03/22 19:59:04 (permalink)
    Great report. Thanks for posting it.
    nagle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re: March 2017 North and South Carolina and Savannah trip 2017/08/19 20:02:40 (permalink)
    David, I just read through this trip report again as we just decided on a one day stop in Savannah in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to narrow down our food stops. Now I realize we will have to stay several days longer. 😀 There is no way we can cut that list down to one full day. I do guarantee though that there will be a stop at Leopold's for pistachio ice cream. 👍🤞👌
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5