Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9339
2015/06/02 20:54:02 (permalink)

Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI)

I've mentioned Marty's Pizza a few times over the years so I figure it's about time to give a brief explanation.  Marty's is a 2-store chain located in the western Milwaukee suburbs of Brookfield (the original) and Delafield; this is the Delafield building on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Mrs. Chicken wouldn't let me take a photo of the dining room but she did suggest the Wall of Peels, which shows the size from Large on up.

The smallest pizza is 10"x10" and we ordered ours with sausage and mushrooms.  The sausage has a meaty flavor without much fennel and comes in nice big chunks, the sauce isn't too sweet, and the crust is crisp and a little puffy at the edges while softening a little bit toward the center of the tavern-cut pizza.

Marty's has been feeding suburbanites and travelers since 1957 (my first visit was to the Brookfield location in either 1986 or '87) so while the Madison-based chain Rocky Rococo makes a big deal about its square pizza, Marty Skibosh apparently had the idea many years earlier.  It's a good pizza, not spectacular, but consistent in its taste and texture and we like it, although to be fair we really don't have any other experience with local Milwaukee-area pizzas.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/06/02 20:55:54

9 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/02 22:24:14 (permalink)
    cool
    Ketteract
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/03 05:57:18 (permalink)
    Between this and Rocky's, I'm wondering whether there are enough examples of this style to establish a "Wisconsin-style" or at least "Milwaukee-style".  Heck, even two may be enough, when one of them is a big statewide chain.

That sausage looks good - perhaps not Zuppardi's-level (but then, what is?), but I'm such a sucker for big bulk chunks.  The stuff in photos of Rocky's has been enticing too.

ScreamingChicken
    ... although to be fair we really don't have any other experience with local Milwaukee-area pizzas.

I believe you have discovered your mission.  Just as TinTinCT and I roam around our state surveying what it has to offer, so can you and Mrs. Chicken ... well, Milwaukee anyway. It would help answer the style question.
    post edited by Ketteract - 2015/06/03 06:01:28
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9339
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/04 10:12:49 (permalink)
    I appreciate the kind words but trust me, there are people here far more qualified to define what "Milwaukee style" pizza is!
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5345
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/04 10:20:52 (permalink)
    Thinly sliced fresh mushrooms = A+!
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/04 10:35:42 (permalink)
    I agree with Brad's review of Marty's. Truly a solid pizza. While I prefer more fennel in my sausage, theirs has a very good flavor. And they do not skimp on toppings.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3686
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/05 07:58:04 (permalink)
    I wouldn't qualify Marty's as a Wisconsin pizza. Zaffiro's, Wells Bros, and Mike & Angelo's own that title. They serve a cracker/credit card thin style pizza. Marty's is way too over sauced for me. But then again, I'm a born and raised Chicagoan who escaped to Wisconsin 25 years ago and was brought up on both styles: deep dish and thin crust.

CSD
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/05 08:08:20 (permalink)
    I agree, CSD- cracker thin crust is what I associate Wisconsin pizza to be. There is a place on the south side called Pepe's, and Bob orders their double crust because their single crust is ultra thin( which I like). But Marty's is a solid pizza-I wouldn't turn it down.

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 664
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/05 10:54:59 (permalink)
    I lived in Stevens Point WI for several years, which is about in the middle of the state.  One day we had visitors from the Chicago office, and while discussing what to do for lunch, one said, "Well, we're in Wisconsin, we've got to have pizza."

We locals were a bit surprised, as we thought we had very good pizza, but not necessarily so special as to deserve recognition from Chicago locals, who have that good deep dish, and had earlier introduced us to the great Aurelio's pizza, which I can't find anything like it anywhere.

But anyway, who "owns" the tavern cut?  Is it between Illinois and Wisconsin?  Here's a website for a very small family chain that started in the early 50's near the Iron Range in Minnesota, and they have always used that cut, and a very thin crust.

https://mysammys.com/

So who owns the tavern cut?

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 664
    Re: Marty's Pizza (Delafield, WI) 2015/06/05 11:31:10 (permalink)
    Well, okay, yikes....I just read my own link, and second paragraph down says that after learning about pizza in the first place, he learned the square cut in Chicago.  Maybe that settles it?

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5