Well, let's just call that PAR ... for how today went.
Just deleted my entire post.
Lets try this again.
So .... if you had tuned in to yesterdays episode you will remember that ME - I - this guy - the flippin rocket surgeon ....
Carried a heavy burden. Namely the weight of the canopy.
I impressed myself by carefully cutting away about 2/3 of the mass from the center of this canopy.
Set in the Styrofoam, so that that there was not a hollow in the middle.
Laminated the THIN sheets of aluminum to it all.
Clamped it all down, added all kinds of weights etc.
Let it dry over night.
It all looks good this morning.
Glue is dried.
I test fit a trim piece, and wow, nice fit. Much better with that extra aluminum.
Now its time to fix up the trim.
Re drill some of the holes and counter sink them.
Polish the dullness out of them.
That nobody but me will notice.
OK and hour or so later I remove all the clamps and weight off of the canopy and put stuff away.
This thing feels kinda heavy again.
Did I miss a clamp?
W T F ???
Must just be me.
Must need another coffee...
Nope, dang this thing IS heavy!
Drag out out the scale...
Ok Yup.... I'm still ..... well lets just say the scale was workin.
Grap the canopy.
W T F !!!
The fricken thing weighs in at 40 pounds again??
Weigh it again.
How in the he...???
It's just fricken glue and aluminum F F S !!!
So needless to say I just achieved absolute negative gains for all that time and effort.
I can't explain it.
Maybe I shoulda just used styrofoam and the aluminum sheet?
But the screws would have nothing to bite in to.
If there were ever a time to use that bloody saying I hate so much, this was it.
It is was it is.
I spend the next hour trying to get my truck out of what used to be a gravel parking spot in the back yard.
Which seems to have turned into a mud bog with all the snow melting.
Lucky for me, it wasn't the 1 foot deep ruts that were holding me back as much as it was the bumper that got peeled back as it got hung up on the fence.
I could feel one of the ruts collapse into pure mush as the truck suddenly lurched back and to the right...
And as if there was no longer a fence holding me back ....... there was no longer a fence holding me back.
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.... or comes apart.
Free again ...Free again...Free again
I probably needed to pull that part of the fence out anyway.
Clearly it is not compatible with my truck.
After an hour of clearing the debris field, I was able to pull the truck up beside my garage.
Where I quickly learned how much taller this truck is than my last one.
Needless to say, my next trip to Home Depot will involve a tour down the eves trough isle.
Hey, there was a debris pile there anyway.
Believe it or not, I DID manage to get the canopy installed.
Even close up, it looks not bad.
Next I have to tackle the struts.
I went and got some 80 pound struts. Just to be safe.
Now I have to figure out how to make the strut mounts work.
The canopy side is easy.
But I can't attach the other end to the window frame.
It's just too flimsy.
I want it good and solid.
Funny how the window looks so much smaller now.
There is still a tweak on the bumper.
I rested it against my old pickup truck and persuaded it back into place.
post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/04/02 23:49:58