Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1093
2019/06/12 18:59:48 (permalink)

May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip

Monday, May 20th

During the course of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra strike I had decided that I would go ahead with the trip I had been planning, even if we were still on strike. I was really happy that the strike was settled two weeks before the trip, and I was really glad to go back to work. I was also very happy to go on this trip. I started with a visit to Viera, Florida, to see my brother. We had a nice time together. There were only a couple of meals that were Roadfood worthy. The first was at Tuscany Grill.

My brother Jerry and sister-in-law Penny.

I started with an excellent Caesar salad.

The meals come with fresh bread and an oil and pesto mix which is really delicious.

You can see Penny’s mixed salad in the background.

This was really very good bread and oil.

I had the Grilled Mediterranean, a spicy skillet grilled dish, with crispy rigatoni with peppers and onions, plus chicken, sausage, and shrimp. I liked it, but the rigatoni was a bit overly crispy, to the point that it got tiring to chew. The shrimp, chicken and sausage were very good. It was a very large serving, and I gave Penny half of it to take home.

They each ordered the lasagna, which I have tasted in the past and thought it was quite good.

Tuscany Grill
7640 Wickham Rd.
Melbourne, Florida
http://tuscanygrill.net

We followed up this very good dinner with a trip to Dairy Queen, all the way across the parking lot. Jerry and Penny each got a mini strawberry blizzard, while I had a vanilla cone dipped in chocolate.

Much more to come.....

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/12 19:23:33

41 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9092
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 19:06:09 (permalink)
    "Blue Smoke"...I take it Jerry likes barbecue?

I'll say "Great report!" now and get it out of the way, and fill in the details later.
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 19:09:56 (permalink)
    Tuesday, May 21st

Most of my trips to Viera have included a visit to Rotary Park and a walk along their pier. The hurricane a year and a half ago destroyed the pier, but it had finally been restored just before this visit. It’s a very beautiful area.

For dinner I went back to a place on Cocoa Beach I had been to twice before. I’ve enjoyed it all three times.

It was a beautiful night to eat outside. I had been before when it was very crowded, but tonight I went early enough that there wasn’t much of a crowd.

My last two visits I only had the lobster roll, which I really liked. I wanted to try the fried shrimp, but didn’t want to miss out on the lobster roll. It turned out they had a fried shrimp appetizer, which I ordered. The shrimp were wonderful.

I also had a very good Caesar salad.

I ordered the lobster roll, with coleslaw and onion rings.

The lobster roll was fantastic. Really perfect.

The onion rings were great. Even the coleslaw was terrific. I loved this meal.

Jazzy’s Mainely Lobster
    210 N. Orlando Ave.
    Cocoa Beach, Florida
    http://jazzysmainelylobster.com

Much more to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/12 19:23:08
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 19:22:26 (permalink)
    Wednesday, May 22nd

While driving around the area I came across a bagel shop and decided to give it a try. They are a small chain with five locations in the general area.

They have a large menu, and said that they brined their own lox, but I decided to skip it, opting to try a bagel first.

Lots of varieties.

I ordered a toasted sesame with butter.

It was okay, nothing special, but worth a try.

Bagel 13
    3705 Murrell Road
    Rockledge, Florida
    http://bagel13.com

Much more to come.....

Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 19:43:16 (permalink)
    Thursday, May 23rd

Breakfast this morning was at a place I had been to once before, the only place in the area I’ve been able to find very good biscuits. Biscuits are obviously their specialty.

It’s an interesting building, pretty small, and set back from the street so it’s really easy to miss.

It’s a pretty big menu, open for breakfast and lunch.

Passage to the counter to place your order.

The last time I was here I also had a cinnamon roll, but decided against it this time.

They have a large selection of hot sauces, but I didn’t use any.

Biscuit and bacon, of course. Not the best I’ve had, but very good.

I think they overdid it with the butter, but I struggled through it.

Oh Biscuit
    846 Eau Gallie Blvd.
    Melbourne, Florida
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/oh-biscuit-melbourne-2

After a final lunch with Jerry and Penny, joined by his two best friends from high school, I said goodbye and headed up to St. Augustine to visit with my cousins Jerrold and Sherry who moved there from Long Island about a year ago. After a nice long visit, we headed to Schooner’s for dinner. I had been here on my first visit to the area about 4 1/2 years ago. I’m not sure I would order pork chops at a seafood restaurant.

We also thought about going to O’Steen’s, but they already had a 40 minute wait, and there was very little wait at Schooner’s.

We sat outside in the covered bar area, and it was lovely.

We were seated at 5:58, so we were able to take advantage of the specials.

We started with the onion rings appetizer, which were highly recommended on the Roadfood.com review, and which I had had last time. They were wonderful.

The coleslaw was excellent.

St. Augustine is known for their Minorcan Datil Pepper products, including hot sauce. I didn’t have any on my last visit, but I did try it this time. It is a very good tasting hot sauce, although I didn’t really need it, and just had a little taste on an onion ring.

I had the 12 fried shrimp special with fries. The shrimp were wonderful. The hush puppies and fries were very good as well.

My cousins were going to split a piece of pie for dessert, but since the restaurant only had three different pies available, I was a bad influence and suggested we get all three and share, which we did. This is the peanut butter pie. It had a wonderful peanut butter flavor and was very creamy.

This is the chocolate malt pie, incredibly chocolatey, rich and delicious.

The back of the crust was additional malt, and really terrific.

This was the key lime pie, which was also excellent. We had a really great time at this restaurant.

Schooner’s Seafood House
    3560 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd.
    St. Augustine, Florida
    https://www.schooners-seafood.com

After dinner I drove to Mayport, north of Jacksonville, to my hotel for the night. It’s the only time I’ve ever had a jacuzzi in a hotel room. Very strange.

Much more to come.....

Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 20:38:28 (permalink)
    Friday, May 24th

There was a problem with wildfires around Jacksonville last night and this morning, and parts of the interstate north to Savannah were closed. I thought about leaving earlier, but I had an appointment at a pie shop. But first, there was the cat outside of the hotel.

Next was the dog enjoying his Starbucks.

I stumbled across Pie Heaven online, and decided I had to give it a try. They didn’t open until 10 am, and while I would have preferred to leave Jacksonville earlier in the morning, I had to try it. I called them a couple of days before and they said they might let me in early. It turned out I got in about 20 minutes early.

Today’s menu.

A really lovely place.

I got five slices of pie. I was meeting Keith McLendon, aka chickenpluker (@plukr on Instagram) later in the day, and was planning on giving him the leftovers. The pies were very good, some better than others. I was going to try a few bites of each and have them packed up, but I ate quite a bit of the key lime, since it was a refrigerated pie and wouldn’t travel well. This is the key lime, which was very good.

The Maine blueberry, salted caramel apple and country chocolate.

The Maine blueberry.

The organic cherry. I liked both the blueberry and the cherry, but the cherry was a sweet cherry pie, and I prefer a tart cherry pie. What I didn’t really like was that both of these pies were cold. I think they had been refrigerated, and probably overnight. I thought they both would have been better room temperature.

The country chocolate. This was a very good pie.

Last, and possibly the best of the lot was the salted caramel apple. This was an excellent pie, packed with apples, with very good caramel, and a very good crust.

Pie Heaven
    1980 Mayport Road
    Atlantic Beach, Florida
    http://pieheavencafe.com

Following the pie extravaganza, I left to meet up with Keith. We had originally planned on meeting at Southern Soul on St. Simons Island, but a few days before he suggested a place that he had mentioned to me when we met at Southern Soul last August, Gary Lee’s Market. I thought that two lunches might be too much, but I thought it would be good to try a new place. Getting there took about an hour longer than it would have normally, but it was a nice scenic drive along the Coast highway. I’m so glad we went here, because it’s a great place.

The available choices all looked amazing.

We got four slices of brisket, and Keith took the leftovers home.

This was some of the absolute best brisket I have ever had. It was remarkable.

The pork ribs were also outstanding.

As was the sausage. This really was a fantastic stop, and some of the best barbecue I have had anywhere.

Gary Lee’s Market
    3636 US Hwy 82
    Brunswick, Georgia
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/...ees-market-brunswick-2

Our next stop was my third visit to Southern Soul Barbeque, the second time I have gone with Keith.

Keith before heading into Southern Soul.

The four sauces. They’re all very good.

One of the reasons I wanted to go back to Southern Soul on a Friday is because of their prime rib special. I’ve been seeing the pictures of this prime rib on Instagram for about a year, and it always looked amazing.

The prime rib special, with fries and hush puppies.

The prime rib was excellent, and I’m glad I was able to have it, but I won’t need to have it again. I liked the brisket at Gary Lee’s much more than this prime rib.

The fries were great.

The hush puppies were very good.

We also shared a pulled pork sandwich with slaw, which was very good.

We also had sides of barbecue beans......

..... deep-fried green beans.....

.....and Brunswick stew, which is one of Keith’s favorites.

After this huge lunch no.2 we brought out the packed-up pies from Pie Heaven and shared some of those. Keith took the rest of it home with him.

Southern Soul Barbeque
    2020 Demere Road
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    http://www.southernsoulbbq.com

A few days after our conversation about adding Gary Lee’s to our lunch plans, Keith and I were texting, and I was telling him how much I like fried shrimp. At that point he suggested another place for yet another lunch on Friday. I had already been worried about two lunches and now there was the possibility of three! Well, naturally, I couldn’t resist. His recommendations are always wonderful, and I figured why not. We decided we would just split one basket of shrimp. This is a rather interesting place with a huge menu, and a buffet for lunch and dinner. We got there pretty much at the end of lunch, and the buffet was pretty well picked over. But while we waited, the dinner crowd started arriving and the buffet was replenished. We resisted the buffet and went for the fried shrimp, and they really were wonderful. Some of the best I’ve had.

The fried chicken looked really good.

Not much left.

A good looking salad bar.

The succulent fried shrimp and very good fries.

Fantastic.

B & J’s Steak and Seafood
    901 North Way
    Darien, Georgia
    http://bandjssteaksandseafood.com

Following the third lunch Keith headed home and I headed to Savannah. After checking into the hotel, I walked along River Street for a while.

As I always do, I went to Huey’s for an order of beignets.

I love these beignets, and they were as wonderful as always.

Huey’s on the River
    115 E. River Street
    Savannah, Georgia
    http://hueysontheriver.net

This was the view from my room.

Not surprisingly, after three lunches today I wasn’t particularly hungry for dinner. But I wasn’t going to miss out on Leopold’s!

The most incredible pistachio ice cream I’ve ever had. I generally have it each and every night I am in Savannah.

Leopold’s Ice Cream
    212 E. Broughton St.
    Savannah, Georgia
    https://www.leopoldsicecream.com

Much more to come.....

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/12 22:29:15
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10050
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 21:05:54 (permalink)
    I'm really enjoying this trip report. Love St. Augustine....and Pie Haven looks like a keeper!
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 22:56:28 (permalink)
    Saturday, May 25th

This was the view from my hotel window when I woke up this morning. A beautiful sunrise.

My first breakfast in Savannah is generally at Clary’s Café, and it was again today. I really like this place. I love being able to sit outside.

My usual biscuits and bacon.

Perfect.

Very good bacon.

I didn’t need any butter or jam for these.

Clary’s Café
    404 Abercorn Street
    Savannah, Georgia
    https://www.claryscafe.com

My second breakfast stop was another favorite, Back in the Day Bakery.

Everything looked really good. I think when I first started going here they didn’t have this many pies.

I had the cinnamon roll several years ago, and liked it, but passed on it this time.

Yes!

This is a very good biscuit, a bit heavier and more substantial than the ones at Clary’s.

I also got a blueberry hand pie, which I didn’t love. Not sure why.

Back in the Day Bakery
    2403 Bull Street
    Savannah, Georgia
    http://www.backinthedaybakery.com

My third breakfast stop this morning was at a new to me place, a recommendation from Keith.

They had a lot of really good looking and very substantial items.

The cinnamon rolls looked really wicked, but I just couldn’t.

I had a glazed chocolate cake donut and a cinnamon hole. I didn’t love the cinnamon hole, but the donut was pretty good. I didn’t finish it.

Baker’s Pride
    840 E. DeRenne Ave.
    Savannah, Georgia
    https://www.savannahbakery.com

My fourth (and last) breakfast stop was another recommendation from Keith, Midtown Deli and Bagel Shop. It was suggested to me that you don’t go to Savannah for bagels. I’m afraid that’s probably true.

They had lots of different spreads, meats, cheese and fish. I didn’t try the lox(e).

I liked the sign. The bakers probably don’t like the sign.

I had a toasted sesame with butter. It was pretty good, although I only ate about half.

They kind of overdid the butter.

Midtown Deli & Bagel Shop
    7805 Abercorn Street
    Savannah, Georgia
    https://m.facebook.com/midtowndeliandbagelshop/
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/midtown-deli-and-bagel-shop-savannah

My next stop has been one of my favorites since I started coming to Savannah, AJ’s Dockside. I always enjoy sitting on the deck on the water.

I had the fried shrimp with coleslaw and fries. I’ve always loved the shrimp here, but today it just wasn’t very good. It was very chewy, and I don’t know what would have caused that. I’ll plan on going back the next time I’m in Savannah, but this time it was not one of the highlights of my visit.

AJ’s Dockside
    1315 Chatham Ave.
    Tybee Island, Georgia
    http://ajsdocksidetybee.com

I was pretty full from all the eating I had done for the past couple of days, so I skipped my normal daily visit to Huey’s. I walked around for a while and to Forsyth Park, but it was a very hot day and I didn’t have the energy to walk the whole length of the park like I usually do. For dinner I went to the new to me Planters Tavern in the Olde Pink House, one of the most popular places in Savannah. I had a pretty long wait, but I’m glad I had the experience.

The tavern was very dark, with a single candle on the table, so pictures were very dark.

Dinner started with a biscuit and a corn muffin, which were pretty good.

I really loved the Caesar salad.

I had the fried chicken, which was very good.

It came with mac and cheese, which I could have subbed out for a different side. I wish I had subbed it for mashed potatoes or something. The mac and cheese was fine, but nothing special.

Planters Tavern
    Olde Pink House Restaurant
    29 Abercorn Street
    Savannah, Georgia
    https://www.plantersinnsavannah.com/olde-pink-house-restaurant

The night ended once again at Leopold’s, with another double scoop of pistachio ice cream.

Much more to come.....

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/12 23:12:45
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/12 23:50:49 (permalink)
    Sunday, May 26th

I started this morning with my second visit to Clary’s. Another beautiful day.

One of the reasons I like sitting outside here is all the dogs that come by, and in some cases like this morning, are brought to the tables.

This one didn’t make it to the table, but seemed to be enjoying himself.

I ordered the same thing as yesterday, and enjoyed it again.

I next went for a second visit to Back in the Day Bakery. (If they were open on Mondays, I would have gone a third time.) I was still looking at the pies, and didn’t have a biscuit.

I really wish I had tried one of these cookies.

The key lime pie and Clementine bars both looked great.

Then there was the chocolate malt pie!

I had one of their scones last year and loved it, but skipped it this time.

It was a very crowded morning.

The chocolate malt pie was sensational.

Indescribable.

The clementine was also very good. I had asked if it was similar to a lemon bar, and was told that it was orange based, and not tart like a lemon bar. I was actually a bit disappointed, because I prefer the tartness of a lemon bar.

This was the first time in many visits to Savannah that I haven’t gone to Huey’s every day. I skipped it yesterday but went back today. They made up for my missed day by magically turning my order of three into an order of four. I don’t know how that happened, but I forced myself to eat all four (😀😀😀😀). Even though it was 98 degrees I still sat outside.

Dinner tonight was my third visit in my last three trips to Savannah to Vic’s on the River. I really like this place a lot.

The meal began with three excellent mini-biscuits, with butter and marmalade.

It’s a really classy room.

A great simple salad, with a wonderfully tart balsamic dressing.

I had the fried shrimp, which I had had each of my other visits. Those times I had the fries with it, but this time I went with the mashed potatoes.

I loved the shrimp.

I also really liked the mashed potatoes.....

..... and the coleslaw.

I also ordered an extra side of collards, which were good, but really unnecessary. I loved this dinner.

Vic's on the River
    26 East Bay Street
    Savannah, Georgia
    https://www.vicsontheriver.com

The final stop of the day again was Leopold’s for another double scoop of pistachio ice cream.

Much more to come.....

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/13 00:01:34
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 00:32:42 (permalink)
    Monday, May 27th

This morning I had decided on only one breakfast before heading to Charleston, and instead of going back to Clary’s I went to Rise Biscuits and Donuts. I had been there last year and enjoyed it, and even though the biscuits aren’t as good as the ones at Clary’s I thought I would give them another try.

Probably not the best, but pretty good.

I had one buttermilk biscuit, which was pretty good.

I had had this glazed blueberry biscuit last year and really liked it. When I got this one I took a bite and it was chilled and not as good, but by the time I had driven about an hour and tried it again it had warmed up and was very good.

My first lunch today was a quick stop at the new to me Glass Onion. I was arriving in Charleston a few hours before Keith, so I decided to have a little something before he arrived.

They have a very interesting menu, but knowing there was plenty to come today, I decided on a small snack.

Since they list their French fries as the best in Charleston, I thought I should try them. I also got a cup of gumbo and an order of cornbread.

I liked the flavor of the gumbo, but it was the soup-like kind of gumbo, which is not the kind that I prefer.

The fries were definitely very good, but I wouldn’t say they are the best in Charleston.

I also liked the cornbread quite a lot, but it was big enough to serve three or four people.

The Glass Onion
    1210 Savannah Highway
    Charleston, South Carolina
    https://www.ilovetheglassonion.com

I spent a little time drinking iced tea at Starbucks waiting for Keith. Almost immediately after he arrived, we headed to our first stop, and my second lunch of the day, Little Jack’s Tavern. Their burger is no. 23 on the Thrillist 100 best burgers in the US, and it was my third visit. I had gone last August for the first time, and then went back two days later. I love this burger, and it is certainly one of the best I’ve ever had.

They have a really small menu.

Keith with a local IPA, and my iced tea.

My burger and fries.

Keith’s burger, and fries, with garlic aoli.

I just loved this burger.

It’s a very welcoming space.

Little Jack's Tavern
    710 King Street
    http://littlejackstavern.com
    https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-burgers-in-america-burger-quest

Our second (my third) lunch for today was less than half a block away, at Leon’s Fine Poultry and Oyster Shop, owned by the same people who own Little Jack’s.

The outdoor seating looked very inviting, but at 99 degrees, there was no chance of that today.

An interesting space, with a very large bar area.

This was my second visit to Leon’s. Last year I had a shrimp roll, but I had recently seen an Eater article about fried chicken in Charleston, and they were on the list. They don’t mention it on the menu, and the waiter didn’t say anything, but it’s served with a Nashville hot chicken type seasoning. That’s why it is so dark. It was a bit on the spicy side, and I’m really glad it wasn’t too hot. It had good flavor and the white meat was quite juicy. I do think it should be shown on the menu as a spicy hot chicken.

Keith also had some oysters, which I don’t eat, and he said they were very good.

Leon’s Fine Poultry and Oyster Shop
    698 King Street
    http://leonsoystershop.com

Dinner was a return to Rodney Scott’s BBQ. It was great as always.

Not too crowded tonight, although many more people came in while we were there.

The menu.

I only had the Rodney’s sauce. It’s very, very good. Interestingly, it’s a North Carolina vinegar and pepper sauce, with a bit of tomato sauce, instead of a South Carolina mustard sauce.

Keith and I split a pulled pork sandwich, slaw on top, with fries.

We also split a small order of very meaty spare ribs, barbecue beans, and hush puppies.

The ribs were very good, but I was much too full to eat much of even the one rib I had.

The hush puppies are very good.

I loved the beans.....

..... and I loved the fries.

We also peeked into the pit area and were very nicely given a little tour. They built the pit to emulate the burn barrel that Scott’s Barbecue in Hemingway uses.

A pulley system allows the very heavy lid to be lifted up.....

..... and for it to stay up without having to be propped up or held up.

Rodney Scott’s BBQ
    1011 King Street
    http://www.rodneyscottsbbq.com

My very ambitious and ridiculous plan for this trip generally included a stop for a burger or something like that after the dinner stop, but it quickly became clear on the first day that this would not be possible. We were both too full to consider going for a burger after the dinner at Rodney’s. While Keith didn’t want to go, I did wind up going for ice cream late in the evening. I had been to Belgian Gelato several years ago when it was on King Street, but they had since closed that location, so I headed down to the waterfront location. It was quite good.

I normally prefer vanilla-based flavors, but other than sweet cream vanilla, they didn’t have any. I went with the chocolate hazelnut, and it was very good, not too bitter.

Belgian Gelato
    6 Vendu Range
    http://www.belgiangelato.com

The shop was very close to the fountain and the pineapple fountain, so I walked around a bit.

It’s really too dark to see the pineapple.

You can make out the pineapple a bit better in this photo taken with a flash.

Much more to come.....

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/13 01:23:29
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 04:42:23 (permalink)
    I'm having dreams of that chocolate malt pie!
    bigbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 09:38:11 (permalink)
    I am really enjoying this report. Thank you very much.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3633
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 12:45:11 (permalink)
    Stunning report David. I'm always struck by how many places serve biscuits, hush puppies and grits and how many are horrible. But when you find some great ones, it's all worthwhile. Your shrimp choices looked amazing.
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5543
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 13:25:12 (permalink)
    Hueys was easily my favorite meal in my trip to Savannah.....the beignets are very, very good, the crab benedict even better
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 13:40:43 (permalink)
    Tuesday, May 28th

Breakfast no. 1 this morning was another new to me place, Marina Variety Store Restaurant. It’s a lovely setting, right on the water.

I had my usual biscuits and bacon. The biscuits were excellent and the bacon was wonderfully crisp.

Keith had the Lowcountry Hashbrowns, which were cooked with peppers and onions, and included shrimp, fried eggs and hollandaise sauce. He shared it with me, and it was great.

He also had some grits.

My taste of Keith’s Hashbrowns and shrimp. Really good.

Marina Variety Store Restaurant
    17 Lockwood Drive
    https://www.varietystorerestaurant.com

Breakfast no. 2 was at The Daily by Butcher and Bee.

I got a butter croissant. I was very disappointed in this. I didn’t particularly like the texture or the flavor.

Keith got a chocolate croissant and we shared the pecan cinnamon swirl coffee cake. We both thought the chocolate croissant was just okay.

We both thought the coffee cake was the best of the three. Neither of us thought that there was a reason to return here.

The Daily by Butcher & Bee
    652 B King Street
    https://shopthedaily.com/the-daily

Our next stop was back to the waterfront park and the pineapple fountain, so we could see it during the day.

We then went over to the Charleston City Market and walked through the blocks and blocks of booths, full of handwoven baskets and many other interesting things. There was also the City Market branch of Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit, so we decided to indulge in breakfast no. 3.

We shared and order of three biscuits, a buttermilk, sharp cheddar, and black pepper bacon. They were excellent. I particularly liked the black pepper bacon.

Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit City Market
    188 Meeting Street
    http://calliesbiscuits.com

Our next stop was going to be My Three Sons of Charleston, which is highly rated on Roadfood.com. When we got there, they were closed for the week (phone first!). We had been hoping to be able to fit in Hannibal’s on this trip, so we took the opportunity to head there next. I’m so glad we went there, because it was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

It’s a very run-down neighborhood, and the building needs reconditioning, but I like that they have their standards.

I loved this place.

The service was pretty slow, but it was so worth the wait. I ordered the fried shrimp, red rice, and cabbage.

The shrimp were great.

The red rice was fantastic.

The cabbage was very good.

Keith had the fried Whiting filets with the red rice and lima beans. I had some of the Whiting and really liked it.

I’ve never been a fan of lima beans, but Keith really liked them. Keith liked Hannibal’s as much as I did.

Hannibal’s Soul Kitchen
    18 Blake Street
    https://hannibalkitchen.com

We next went to North Charleston for some ice cream. I had just come across this place online and it had some wonderful reviews.

There were a number of flavors that I was interested in and was going to ask for a sample or two. However, they don’t allow samples, but said they would exchange any flavor we didn’t like for something different.

I had a cup of cookies and cream and strawberry. This was some of the best ice cream I’ve had.

Keith had a sweet cream waffle cone.

Park Circle Creamery
    1044 E. Montague Ave.
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    https://www.facebook.com/ParkCircleCreamery
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/park-circle-creamery-north-charleston

Dinner was at one of the more “fine dining” restaurants of Charleston, The Ordinary.

I think it’s an old bank building.

I started with the sea salt potato chips appetizer. I thought they were great.

I had the red butterhead lettuce, hazelnut, feta and radish salad, which was also terrific.

Keith started with a dozen oysters. He liked them a lot.

We each also had the lobster roll, which is the Tuesday only special. I thought it was very good, although I had liked the one I had in Cocoa Beach last week and the one in Naples in March better.

I liked the fries a lot, although they came with a house-made ketchup that had some kind of spice that gave it a flavor that wasn’t like ketchup, and I just didn’t like it.

The Ordinary
    544 King Street
    https://eattheordinary.com/the-restaurant/

Much more to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/13 14:25:32
    annepr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 14:43:49 (permalink)
    I love, love, love your trip reports! Thank you so much for writing them. 
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 14:59:18 (permalink)
    Wednesday, May 29th

Breakfast this morning (there was “only” one breakfast today) was at the new to me Brown’s Court Bakery. Situated in a great old building, probably an old house, the selections were very impressive.

I had a butter croissant and a blueberry muffin. Both were excellent.

This was a very buttery croissant, worlds apart from the one at The Daily.

The blueberry muffin was very rich and fresh, with great flavor.

Keith had a chocolate almond bear claw.....

..... and an oatmeal raisin cream pie. I had a little bit of the bear claw and thought it was pretty good. I really liked the oatmeal raisin cream pie, although it was a bit too sweet for me.

Brown’s Court Bakery
    199 Saint Phillip
    http://brownscourt.com

Lunch no. 1 was at the new to me Home Team BBQ, a place I had read about for several years, but never went there because of other barbecue places I always want to go to.

I liked the old metal wash pails used as lamp shades.

Order at the counter.

We shared a pulled pork sandwich with slaw, Brunswick stew (for Keith), and mashed potatoes.

The bun for the sandwich was way too big and thick. It didn’t match the sandwich.

I loved the mashed potatoes.

Keith didn’t like the Brunswick stew much, because it was too much like soup.

We also split a half slab of St. Louis ribs, baked beans and collards.

The ribs had good smoky flavor.

I really liked the beans a lot. The collards were good.

The sauces were pretty good. I liked the pepper vinegar the best.

Home Team BBQ
    1205 Ashley River Road
    https://hometeambbq.com

We took a break from eating for a while and drove over the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge to Mount Pleasant, stopping at the Visitor Center. There was a great view of the bridge from the back of the visitor center.

Lunch no. 2 was my second (and Keith’s first) visit to the surprisingly remarkable Dave’s Carry-Out Seafood. This is a great Roadfood restaurant.

A very bare-bones operation, with one person taking the orders and the other person doing the cooking. The same woman was doing the cooking when I was here last year, and we were wondering how many thousands of meals this lone woman at the fryer has made. I hope she keeps doing it for many, many years to come.

The fried shrimp were wonderful. The fries were excellent.

The yellow rice was fabulous.

Dave's Carry-Out Shrimp
    42 Morris Street
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/daves-carry-out-charleston

After Dave’s, Keith headed back to Georgia (with a stop at Lewis Barbecue), and I went back to Park Circle Creamery. I wanted to try a couple more of their interesting flavors. I’m not happy that they don’t do taste samples, but it’s really, really good ice cream.

The lemon crunch was recommended by the person behind the counter, so I got that, and peanut butter m&ms. If I had had a taste of the lemon, I probably would have chosen a different flavor, but it was good and refreshing. I really liked the peanut butter. In hindsight I should have tried the cherry dream. In future visits I will come here every day.

I had a wonderful dinner at Lewis Barbecue, my fourth or fifth visit, where I met up with Hanna Raskin, the food editor of the Post and Courier. I have listened to The Winnow, the podcast she does with Robert Moss, the author of Barbecue: The History of An American Institution, for a couple of years now and I love it. I highly recommend listening to this podcast if you have any interest in southern food. I learned while listening to the podcast that Hanna has a Chicago connection, so I contacted her, and when this trip came up, we arranged to meet. I had a great time but forgot to take any pictures of the food. The brisket, as always, was sensational.

Lewis Barbecue
    464 North Nassau Street
    http://lewisbarbecue.com

Much more to come.....
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/13 15:01:09
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9092
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 15:14:45 (permalink)
    Davidsanders

I'm not 100% sure but this might be the first time I've seen a lobster roll made with a sesame seed bun.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 15:55:27 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Davidsanders

I'm not 100% sure but this might be the first time I've seen a lobster roll made with a sesame seed bun.

But it looks great!
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 17:27:57 (permalink)
    Thursday, May 30th

My first breakfast this morning was back to Brown’s Court Bakery, just before leaving Charleston. I had hoped to get the lemon poppyseed muffin that I had seen the day before, and also another butter croissant, but neither were out of the oven yet. They open at 7 and I was there at about 7:45. I think they should have had them! I had a blueberry muffin, which I had yesterday, and I was wondering if it actually was from yesterday. Yesterday’s muffin was better.

My second breakfast was about two hours into my trip. I saw a Krispy Kreme road sign and decided to stop. I was hoping for a glazed chocolate cake donut, but they didn’t have them, so I got a single warm glazed. It was pretty good.

My next stop was my holy grail of barbecue, Grady’s BBQ. My first visit was in January, 2012, and I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve been here. Probably about a dozen.

Pork barbecue sandwich with slaw no. 1, fried chicken breast no. 1, and steamed cabbage. Words fail me.

The perfect mix of whole hog chopped pork and coleslaw.

Fabulous fried chicken.

Terrific steamed cabbage.

Yes, absolutely!

Pork barbecue sandwich no. 2 and fried chicken breast no. 2. More of the same, but I can’t resist. (I did resist the cabbage!)

Fantastic.

Perfect.

Grady’s Barbecue
    3096 Arrington Bridge Rd

Dudley, North Carolina
    https://www.facebook.com/gradysbbqnc/
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/gradys-barbecue-dudley

I thought maybe it would get a little cooler as I went from South Carolina to North Carolina, but it didn’t.

Dinner was at The Pig in Chapel Hill. I had been there a couple of times before and always liked it. Tonight, I really liked it. Even after Grady’s earlier in the day it’s awfully good.

I got a barbecue sandwich with slaw, fries and a bowl of gumbo.

The sandwich was terrific. I’m not sure what is in the slaw to give it that yellow color, but it’s great.

The fries were great.

The gumbo was wonderful. I loved it. I loved the entire meal. This was a great day.

The Pig
    630 Weaver Dairy Road
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    https://thepigrestaurant.com

More to come.....

Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 17:51:51 (permalink)
    Friday, May 31st

The last day of my trip began as every day begins when I’m in Chapel Hill, at Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. One of my favorite places, I only had one biscuit. I could have had a second, but..... well, never mind. I should have had a second.

Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen
    1305 East Franklin Street
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    http://sunrisebiscuits.com/

My last meal of my trip was going to be at Lexington Smokehouse (Lexington No. 1) in Lexington, North Carolina. At the last minute I decided to go to Real Q in Winston-Salem instead. I hadn’t been there in a while, and I had really, really liked it in my previous visits. Formerly known as Little Richard’s, it was part of a small chain, and I believe it was the original branch of the chain. The chain broke up, and they lost the use of the name. But I’m happy to report that while the name has changed, the food hasn’t. It’s just as great as it always was.

This restaurant is really from a different era. Just look at all the cigarette ads all over the place.

No unsweetened tea here.

I had the BBQ sandwich, chopped on a big bun, the hot chips, and a half order each of the hush puppies and baked beans. Everything was fantastic. A few of the chips were a bit soggy, but I loved them. I loved everything about the meal and the place, including the very friendly waitresses. I think I enjoyed this more than my last visit to Lexington No. 1. I’m so glad I came here instead.

I love the Lexington style red slaw.

Nothing like freshly made chips.

Both the beans and the hush puppies were terrific. Another great meal, and a great way to end the trip.

I had a great time on this trip, and I was so grateful to have been able see my brother and sister- in-law, my cousins, and to meet up with Keith in Brunswick, St. Simons Island, Darien and Charleston. I was also delighted to have met Hanna Raskin.

I love going to this part of the country so much. I went to 16 new to me places and was so happy to go back to many of my favorites.

Here is my summary, such that it is.

My favorites (in no particular order):

Grady’s BBQ
    The Pig
    Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen Real Q
    Jazzy’s Mainely Lobster Gary Lee’s Market
    B&J’s Steaks and Seafood Schooner’ s
    Huey’s on the River Leopold’s Ice Cream Clary’s Café
    Back in the Day Bakery Vic’s on the River
    Little Jack’s Tavern
    Hannibal’s Soul Kitchen Park Circle Creamery
    Dave’s Carry-Out Seafood
    Lewis Barbecue

Runners up:

Brown’s Court Bakery
    Pie Heaven Bakery Café
    Rodney Scott’s BBQ

Very Good:

Southern Soul Barbecue
    Tuscany Grill
    Oh Biscuit
    Planter’s Tavern at the Olde Pink House
    Rise Biscuits and Donuts
    The Glass Onion
    Leon’s Fine Poultry and Oyster Shop
    Marina Variety Store
    Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit at City Market
    The Ordinary
    Home Team BBQ

Good:

Baker’s Pride Bakery
    Midtown Deli and Bagel Shop
    Belgian Gelato
    Krispy Kreme

A disappointment:

A.J.’s Dockside
    Bagel 13
    The Daily by Butcher and Bee

Thanks for reading!

post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/06/13 20:57:11
    will_work_4_bbq
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 18:08:00 (permalink)
    This is a fabulous trip report!
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2633
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 20:54:06 (permalink)
    Great work. You are a high level trencherman. If I could only eat at one of your spots it would have to be Hannibal's. That is pure Roadfood.
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:29:59 (permalink)
    leethebard
    I'm having dreams of that chocolate malt pie!

Leethebard, It was a great pie.
    bigbear

Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:30:35 (permalink)
    bigbear
    I am really enjoying this report. Thank you very much.

Thanks Bigbear.
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:36:18 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers
    Stunning report David. I'm always struck by how many places serve biscuits, hush puppies and grits and how many are horrible. But when you find some great ones, it's all worthwhile. Your shrimp choices looked amazing.

Thanks Mike. I've certainly had some pretty bad biscuits. Most of the shrimp really were amazing!
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:38:58 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson
    Hueys was easily my favorite meal in my trip to Savannah.....the beignets are very, very good, the crab benedict even better

TJ, I've had the beignets a lot at Huey's, but the one time I ate dinner there I really didn't like it all that much. Maybe I'll give it another try someday.

Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:39:47 (permalink)
    annepr
    I love, love, love your trip reports! Thank you so much for writing them. 

Thanks annepr.
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:42:01 (permalink)
    will_work_4_bbq
    This is a fabulous trip report!

Thanks Lynne.
    Davidsanders
    Re: May 2019 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Trip 2019/06/13 21:43:15 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    Great work. You are a high level trencherman. If I could only eat at one of your spots it would have to be Hannibal's. That is pure Roadfood.

Thanks scrumptiouschef. Hannibal's was definitely one of the absolute highlights of the trip.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5