Meals you missed in 2018

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8988
2018/12/25 16:52:20 (permalink)

Meals you missed in 2018

Since it's that retrospective time of year I thought I'd put a different spin on things and ask y'all about the Roadfood-y meals you had hoped to eat during the past year, but were unable to for some reason.

For me it would be the fried chicken at Fritz's Wooden Nickel in Stillman Valley, IL.  Back in April I met up with the BuddyRoadhouses for a Saturday 3-stop fried chicken tour of central Illinois and Fritz's was first on the list, but it turned out that Fritz's doesn't serve chicken until 5pm.  Oh, well...I also skipped chicken at BBY Carryout in Dixon, IL the day ChiBears15 and I invaded the Quad Cities, so some Saturday next year I just might make a road trip to hit both.

So if you were one of us who couldn't claim 100% success for 2018, here's the place to vent.  Even if it was your fault and not somebody else's.

2 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5032
    Re: Meals you missed in 2018 2018/12/25 21:04:03 (permalink)
    Last summer while we were in Maine we wanted to get to Bite Into Maine, which according to their advertising also has a brick and mortar location as well as a food truck. We went, and it was a blank door in a defunct strip mall, with a tiny little sign and no tables. Apparently, that's their kitchen, which they will sell food from if someone shows up. Wasn't really what we were looking for, and driving all the way to Cape Elizabeth to catch the food truck wasn't going to work, so we skipped it. However, to make up for it, we stopped for our second meal at Ken's Place, which is everything it's cracked up to be and then some. We also ended up at a couple other Roadfood-reviewed places and several restaurants we ran into along the way.

So it's not like we had a shortage of Roadfood, it's that one of them thwarted our plans, and odds are good we'll never get back that way again.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6489
    Re: Meals you missed in 2018 2018/12/26 02:34:07 (permalink)
    The first one that comes to mind is the most recent, occurring just days ago.  We're on our annual Holiday visit to Kansas City/St. Joseph, MO, spending time with friends and relatives while hitting as many of our favorite local Roadfood spots as possible.  While in St. Jo, we got word that longtime Fried Chicken institution, Galvin's, lesser known than Stroud's, but equally respected, was closing forever, just days from now.

It seemed like the perfect opportunity since we were right there and in need of a late lunch.  So we packed the Mother-In-Law into the Camry and headed over to Galvin's north side location.  The "OPEN" sign was flashing and the doors were unlocked, so we walked in with our taste buds firmly set on Fried Chicken.  As it turned out, Galvin's closes between lunch and dinner, and we'd missed our window by about five minutes.  It would be another two hours before they reopened.

We left in a disappointed funk, but headed over to another local landmark, The Frederick Inn.  I abandoned my dreams of Fried Chicken for a Spinach Salad (relax, there was bacon involved).  Actually that was my original plan until we got the news about Galvin's, so not a total loss.

We've been batting about .750 on the rest of the trip.  Some mediocre 'Que, some damn fine 'Que, a disappointing BPT, a delicious Reuben served on Dutch Crunch Bread, excellent Vietnamese, and our favorite KC Mexican place for Jewish Christmas Eve (breaking a 20 year run of Chinese, Thai, and Indian food).  Our average is set to drop a little tomorrow with a forced family lunch at Ground Round (the restaurant choice is forced, not the family gathering).  But we could boost it back up with the right dinner choice.

Who knows, maybe I'll write this up in detail as a trip report in the new year.

Buddy
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5