Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 22:35:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
roossy90 Posted - 03/28/2006 : 12:22:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I make the worst meatloaf, and after watching last nights show and getting a bit educated, I think I know why.

Yeah, Miss Roossy I think I know why too,....... you didn't fallow the recipe to a "T"

Hey Hey..."T"?? LOL...
Nice....
Because of the Worcestershire sauce?.. awww come on.. gimmee a break here... I dont do brown hairy fishies.
Nah, It is because I kneaded the meat.......I watched Alton play with it before putting it into the pan.. He admonished that "You are not to knead your meat before cooking it"...
Puregrace
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/03 14:24:21 (permalink)
please forgive my intrusion, but I saw your posting and had to add a new recipe. If I didn't think this was the best recipe on the planet, I wouldn't bother. I HATE meatloaf, but I LIVE for this recipe!

A family sized package of Ground Chuck (1.5-2 lb)
1/4 - 1/2 c milk (the more milk, the finer the crumb, so to speak. Those that like a heavy meatloaf should use less)
1 c parmesan cheese
1 can rotel tomatoes, or your favorite style
1 small can chopped green chilies (optional-this cuts on the gas effect)
1/4 - 1/3 c catsup, hot n spicy catsup, or chili sauce
2 eggs
1 wax roll pkg crackers (townhouse or saltines)
1 pkg onion soup mix (lipton)

Throw the stuff in a bowl and squish, squish, squish.

Bake at 350 x 50 kin (9x13 pan) I use glass. I like crisp edges so I cook a little longer. Let it stand for 10 min so it sucks up the juices again.

Yum.........................................

[do you remember when people used to put spam in the meatloaf . . .or boiled eggs? When you cut the loaf two little egg eyes would stare back at you!]
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/03 20:26:25 (permalink)
Squish squishing is not allowed according to Alton Brown.. LOL...
But I think if I had squish squished it, it would have stayed together better.. still was very good...IMO
Puregrace
Junior Burger
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/03 20:33:31 (permalink)
I am not a conventional cook. I always squish and I rarely measure!
I learned that women cooks aren't "great" cooks because we worry too much aout dirty dishes. Plufffft!
I'm a pretty good cook . . .but I read the recipe, then play from there.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/03 20:36:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Puregrace

I am not a conventional cook. I always squish and I rarely measure!
I learned that women cooks aren't "great" cooks because we worry too much aout dirty dishes. Plufffft!
I'm a pretty good cook . . .but I read the recipe, then play from there.

Same with me.. someone asks for me a recipe, and I go , "uh.."..a little of this and a little of that.....Its all in my head and go on autopilot when I cook..
Tara
Puregrace
Junior Burger
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/03 20:43:51 (permalink)
I have a few things that everybody asks me about. I finally had to start my own experiment book. I give them the latest version.
Later, I had to write a cookbook for my daughter when she grew up and moved into her own place. I made the rest of the family add to it.
Funny though, some recipes seem to require genetic coding or you can't prepare it right.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/03 20:54:05 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Just today I asked Jefferson, the prep cook at The Royal Cafe, why no two versions of meat loaf he makes are identical.
"Simple," he replied. "What goes into each batch depends on what we have for leftovers to put in it."
Well, folks - that settles it. That's at least a large part of the spirit of mom-and-pop eateries: a little bit of variation from batch to batch.
If I wanted to eat institutional, same-each-time, blase food, I'd get myself committed. (Gracious - it may be closer than I think.)
Freely Submitted, Ort. Carlton in Windy, Wondrous Athens, Georgia.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2952
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/04 04:15:29 (permalink)
quote:

There isn't many recipes for meatloaf that does not ask you to add Worcestershire sauce.

Now if I told you to add a few anchovies in your meatloaf you meatloaf aficionados would probably freak out.

Well dear folks the base for all Worcestershire sauce is anchovies. Anchovies that have been soaking in a brine for two yeas ............. Read the ingredient label

I'll chop a few anchovies very fine and add them to my meatloaf or instead of opening up a can of the little fish I'll just add a table spoon of Asian fish sauce.............. Bon Appetit

I'm sorry, I must disagree. Worcestershire sauce simply does not go with cat. When using cat in meatloaf, a lighter seasoning is required.

God, that was just too easy. I couldn;t resist.

OK, for those who want to make meatloaf sandwiches, I recommend using half oatmeal and half breadcrumbs. It makes for a more sliceable loaf without changing the texture too much.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/06 20:47:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
quote:
When using cat in meatloaf, a lighter seasoning is required.

Elise,
You will probably remember - as will many other folks - that the late, great cartoonist B. Kliban once referred to a cat as "a higher type of meatloaf" - or something akin to that.
It was meant as a compliment, too... he loved cats - and meatloaf! (Hey, so do I!)
Purrfully, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2952
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 07:07:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
quote:
When using cat in meatloaf, a lighter seasoning is required.

Elise,
You will probably remember - as will many other folks - that the late, great cartoonist B. Kliban once referred to a cat as "a higher type of meatloaf" - or something akin to that.
It was meant as a compliment, too... he loved cats - and meatloaf! (Hey, so do I!)
Purrfully, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Love to eat them mousies
Mousies what I love to eat
Bite they little heads off
Nibble on they tiny feet

But I must also disagree with the B. Kliban rule:

Never Eat Anything Bigger than Your Head.

- unusually disagreeably in sunny Los Angeles,

Elise

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5070
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:00:42 (permalink)

Mushroom Stuffed Meatloaf

Sauté 4 Portabella Mushrooms chopped
2 or 3 Button Mushrooms chopped
¼ cup onion chopped fine
2 Tbl minced garlic

Meatloaf

3 lbs ground beef
1/2 large can of tomato sauce
1 cup of oatmeal oats
1 cup of Italian bread crumbs
2 large eggs lightly beaten
2 Tbl Oregano
1 Tbl Garlic Salt
1 Tbl Season Salt/Pepper
Olive oil
1 Tbl Marjoram
1 Tbl Herbs d Province

Mix well together, and mold into a loaf in a large baking
pan. Spread meat into a canal in down the center, pour a
layer of tomato sauce then spoon in the sautéed
mushroom mixture, then another layer of sauce, then
smooth the meat over the top and pat together to close.
Pour remaining tomato sauce on top.
Bake at 375 for one hour 15-20 min let sit for about 10
minutes before cutting.

8 medium russet potatoes peeled, cut, boiled, and
mashed. Add butter, sour cream, milk and season salt until stiff but
not too stiff. Spread on top of meatloaf half way into
cooking time
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:04:03 (permalink)

Pickle Stuffed Meatloaf

2 eggs
1/2 cup flavored dry breadcrumbs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup minced onions
1 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 pounds lean ground beef
4 slices mozzarella cheese
6 sliced-lengthwise-for-sandwiches dill pickles
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tomato, sliced

Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat together eggs, breadcrumbs, milk, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add ground beef and combine. Place half of ground beef mixture into bottom of roasting pan and mild loaf approximately 3 inches wide and 7 inches long. Fold 2 slices cheese in half and lay lengthwise down center of loaf. Top with 3 pickles, mushrooms, tomato slices and remaining pickles. Fold remaining slices of cheese in half and place on top of pickles.

Mold remaining meat mixture on top, making sure all stuffing is covered on all sides, as well as top. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 40 to 50 more minutes, or until meat is no longer pink on the inside.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:06:37 (permalink)
Italian Style Stuffed Meatloaf

Instructions:

Mix first eleven ingredients together. Reserve 1/4 cup pizza sauce. On a large sheet of wax paper, pat meat into a 10x13 pan. Arrange ham on top of meat mixture, leaving a small margin. Spread mushrooms over ham. Sprinkle cheese over all. Reserve small amount of cheese. Start at 10" side and roll meat like a jelly roll. Use wax paper to lift. When rolled tightly, seal edges. Place seam side down in a 9x13 pan. Brush with reserved pizza sauce. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Ten minutes before done sprinkle cheese on top and finish baking.

2 Pounds lean ground beef
1 Pound Italian sausage
1 1/2 Cups cracker crumbs
2 Eggs (beaten)
1 Medium onion (chopped)
1 Bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
1 Teaspoon oregano
1 Clove garlic (minced)
1 Cup pizza sauce
1/2 Pound boiled ham (thin sliced)
8 Ounces mozzarella cheese (grated)
1 8 Ounce can mushrooms (drained)
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:15:04 (permalink)

Smoked Meatloaf

Recipe By: Alton Brown
Serving Size: 4
Preparation Time: 0:25

6 ounces croutons -- garlic-flavored
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion -- roughly chopped
1 carrot -- peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 egg

Glaze:
1/2 cup catsup
1 tablespoon ground cumin
dash worcestershire sauce
dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:19:46 (permalink)

Sage And Olive Meatloaf

1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Diced yellow onion (1/4-inch)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Diced celery (1/4-inch)
1 Tablespoon Minced garlic
2 1/2 Tablespoons Chopped sage
1 teaspoon Chopped thyme
1/2 cup Dried breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Reduced-fat milk
1 1/4 pounds Ground beef (80% lean)
3/4 pound Ground pork
1 Egg, beaten
1 cup Sliced California Ripe Olives
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
1/3 cup Ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan. Add onions and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic, sage and thyme and continue cooking for 1 minute, then remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. In a small mixing bowl combine breadcrumbs and milk. Set aside for 2-3 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, mix together ground beef and pork with onion and breadcrumb mixtures. Stir in egg, California Ripe Olives, mustard, salt and pepper. Form into a 10-inch by 5-inch loaf shape on a lightly greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix together ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Brush the top of the meatloaf with ketchup mixture and bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes then slice into six servings. Serves 6.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:22:47 (permalink)
Blue Cheese Meatloaf w/ Mustard Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion - diced
1 3/4 pounds ground beef, lean
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons mustard
1 1/4 cups light sour cream
7 ounces blue cheese - crumbled
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon beef bouillon
1 cup water
1 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons chives - finely snipped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons mustard

For the Meatloaf
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion. Fry until the onion is translucent (15 minutes). In a large bowl, mix together fried onions, beef, pepper, salt, dry mustard, bread crumbs, mustard, and light sour cream. After you have mixed the ingredients very well (use your hands if you have to). Add the blue cheese and mix in gently. Pat the mixture down into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake the meatloaf in the oven until it is no longer pink in the center (1 hour and 5 minutes)

For the Mustard Sauce
Mix flour, cornstarch, bouillon, and water in 2 quart saucepan; stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly. Boil and stir, 1 minute.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:33:07 (permalink)

Grilled Italian Meatloaf
With Chunky Tomato & Sweet Onion Relish

For the meatloaf:

1 lb very *lean ground beef ("Diet Lean")
1 lb lean ground veal
1 lb Italian sausage (either hot or sweet)
2 C Italian bread, ripped into chunks
1 C milk
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed in a garlic press
1 large yellow or white onion
fresh parsley (flat leaf)
fresh oregano
fresh basil
1 egg
1 T salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
4 very thin slices prosciutto
2 slices Mozzarella cheese

For the relish:

1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
1 C coarsely chopped sweet onions (Vidalia or something similar)
Salt and Pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
4 C peeled and coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes

Meatloaf:

Process the bread in a food processor or blender to make fine crumbs.
Pour the milk over the bread in a large mixing bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
Peel the onion and grate it over a plate using the large holes of a standard grater. Grating the onion totally destroys the texture of the onion, leaving you with a puddle of onion juice and a pile of onion mush. Sounds bad, but it makes the onion melt into the meatloaf, flavoring it nicely without leaving any discernable chunks of onion. Of course, if you LIKE chunks of onion in your meatloaf, go ahead and chop it instead!
Add the onion to the bread along with the egg, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano, and basil. Mix well.
Add the ground veal, ground beef, and Italian sausage. *I used a very lean ground beef to compensate for the sausage, which seemed extra fatty. If your sausage is relatively lean, you can use a higher fat ground beef if you like. Mix very well.
Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving the wrap hanging out on all sides of the loaf pan.
Place 1/3 of the meat mixture into the loaf pan and smooth it out.
Top with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and 2 slices of prosciutto. Leave a border of about 1" around the edges to give the layers a chance to seal together (otherwise, some of your cheese may leek out as in the above picture!)
Add 1/3 of the meat mixture.
Top with remaining slice of cheese and 2 slices of prosciutto (leave a border!)
Add remaining meat mixture. Smooth the top (which will later become the bottom) and cover with the protruding plastic wrap.
Chill in the 'fridge at least 8 hours.
Prepare an indirect fire on a charcoal grill, with a drip pan in the center.
Make a rectangle out of several layers of heavy-duty foil. The rectangle should be about 1 to 2 inches larger than the TOP of the meatloaf on all sides (the top of the meatloaf will become the bottom in the next step!). Spray the foil lightly with non-stick spray.
Peel back the plastic wrap from the top of the meatloaf and cover with the foil rectangle (sprayed side touching the meat). Flip the whole thing over, remove the pan, and peel off the plastic wrap.
Place the meatloaf (sitting on its little foil platter) in the center of the grill. Cover and grill 90 minutes, adding 5 or 6 coals to each side of the fire after 45 minutes.
Remove from the grill and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing.

Serve with Chunky Tomato & Sweet Onion Relish.

Relish:

Meanwhile, you can make the relish:
Heat the oil in a shallow, wide skillet over medium heat. Use a good olive oil, its flavor is an important part of this sauce.
Add the onions and a little salt and pepper.
Sauté just until translucent but not brown.
Stir in the garlic and sauté 1 minute.
Add the fresh tomatoes.
Cook, stirring often, until all of the moisture evaporates and the sauce is very very thick (like a relish, even).
Add salt and pepper if needed.
Serve hot, warm, or room temperature.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 08:40:32 (permalink)

Meatloaf Patty Melt

1/2 tablespoon butter
2 ounces onion, sliced, about 1 small
1 slice leftover meatloaf, warmed
1/2 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded or sliced

In a skillet, sauté the onion in butter until tender and browned. Season with salt to taste. Add meatloaf to pan, and fry until heated through and browned on both sides. Cover meatloaf with onions; top with cheese. Cover pan to melt cheese; serve at once.

Makes 1 serving

Puregrace
Junior Burger
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 14:00:46 (permalink)
Oh GOD! They all sound so good. STOP!!
I'm swelling into a meatloaf.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 14:12:53 (permalink)
Have you got Meatloaf on the brain?
LOLOL
I am rather fond of the photo of the 'shroom stuffed one. It almost looks like an erect shepards pie.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 14:26:12 (permalink)
quote:

Oh GOD! They all sound so good. STOP!!
I'm swelling into a meatloaf.

Well then. My job here is done...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22601
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 14:28:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

LOLOL
I am rather fond of the photo of the 'shroom stuffed one. It almost looks like an erect shepards pie.

Pity the poor shepherd.
Puregrace
Junior Burger
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 14:30:57 (permalink)
THAT would be a mistake.
while I am tender and juicy, not for a knife and fork!
Besides, there must be MORE beautiful meatloaf out there in the strange and wonderful beyond.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 14:45:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

LOLOL

Pity the poor shepherd.

Why did you say that?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22601
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 16:07:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator
[brWhy did you say that?

Surely, you jest.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 17:41:27 (permalink)
quote:
quote:

Adjudicator,
You left out hot-livermush-stuffed, Stilton-marbled meatloaf. Surely some foodie in North Carolina would appreciate that creation.
Not Soused At The Moment, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Tolerant Athens, Georgia.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 17:55:39 (permalink)
I love meatloaf.. BUT have never been able to get the seasonings right. SO I sprinkle an envelope of the prepackaged Meatloaf Seasoning over the ingredients. I know, this is probably something for the 'meatloaf police' to admonish me for.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13822
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 18:04:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

I love meatloaf.. BUT have never been able to get the seasonings right. SO I sprinkle an envelope of the prepackaged Meatloaf Seasoning over the ingredients. I know, this is probably something for the 'meatloaf police' to admonish me for.

Scarlett: I do the same thing but I add more junk like onions, all kind of peppers, salt, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and pork sausage which is full of spice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 18:30:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

LOLOL

Pity the poor shepherd.

Oh My, Bad choice of word I see..
LMAO here
Puregrace
Junior Burger
RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/04/09 18:32:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
quote:

Adjudicator,
You left out hot-livermush-stuffed, Stilton-marbled meatloaf. Surely some foodie in North Carolina would appreciate that creation.

Not Soused At The Moment, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Tolerant Athens, Georgia.

Hey, actually that sounds pretty good. I make a good pate and I love Stilton. Kinda rich though...................
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5