Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2006/03/28 12:22:03 (permalink)

Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!!

(See finished product below)
I watched this episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown last night (Monday) on the Food Network.
I swear it looked so good, I wanted to reach thru the TV and grab some...
I am headed out to the store now to get the ingredients and try it.
I will post my findings and a photo tonight afterwards.
I make the worst mealoaf, and after watching last nights show and getting a bit educated, I think I know why.

I also noticed that he grinds/pulses his meat in the food processor. (as he does for his hamburgers, in the same episode.)
Lately I have been doing that myself, and there is such a difference in the texture and flavor.
I did it last week with beef and pork tenderloin for my chili, and it was so good.
--------------------
Alton Browns Meatloaf
6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
For the glaze:
1/2 cup catsup
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

I have also included the link to that show.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_10215,00.html

63 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 12:36:08 (permalink)
    Stuff a sausage in the middle...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22594
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 12:39:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Stuff a sausage in the middle...

Michael. Don't you dare say what's on the tip of your tongue. Don't do it!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 12:43:26 (permalink)
    Allright now..." />
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 12:48:06 (permalink)
    I've seen that episode and it does look good, personally I'd add a half pound of hot Italian sausage to the mix
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 12:52:11 (permalink)
    LOL..
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 12:56:00 (permalink)
    I am not big on sauage in my meatloaf, nor my Italian dishes ...
    When I do serve sausage with my spaghetti, I have it on the side and dont cook it in the sauce.
    I take some sauce out and cook it separate from the larger batch.

But this is meatloaf, not spaghetti we are talking about here.. LOL
    I am so easily sidetracked.

Mom used to make a meatloaf mix with pork, veal and beef. We used to buy it in the grocery stores, and then it kinda petered out from the shelf, but I have seen it a few times lately.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 20:13:10 (permalink)
    I enjoy making a meatloaf and in my opinion, it is one of the easiest things to make and it is also fun to make and I rarely screw it up.

Ingredients I have to have are:
    Ground chuck, country sausage mild, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, lotsa onion, garlic, salt, pepper. Anything else is sort of personal taste. I always add more and the recipe sort of changes from time to time.

We lost power during a rare blizzard in Knoxville about ten years ago and I made meat loaf in a cast iron frying pan over the fireplace. I was cold and hungry at the time and I guess that was why that particular time, the meatloaf was the best.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 20:14:20 (permalink)
    Time to eat..
    Before

After

I am proud of this. I think the honey in the glaze makes for a nice touch...Nice and shiny....
    I bet it's really good tomorrow!
    Much better looking than the Runza-
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5070
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 20:17:58 (permalink)
    OK roossy90...
    We need some pics of your meatloaf. Recipe looks good & fairly easy (carrots??? ;). Pics also needed of the mashed 'taters that you cooked with the meatloaf. You DO KNOW that meatloaf served without mashed 'taters AND also perhaps some snap beans is a culinary FELONY, right?
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 20:19:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

OK roossy90...
    We need some pics of your meatloaf. Recipe looks good & fairly easy (carrots??? ;). Pics also needed of the mashed 'taters that you cooked with the meatloaf. You DO KNOW that meatloaf served without mashed 'taters AND also perhaps some snap beans is a culinary FELONY, right?

Oops, didnt take the mashie pic's.....Just imagine them...Corn instead of beans....
    Ah, yes, excuse me, but I must go eat now.
    Hey Adjudicator, that was good timing!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5070
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 20:20:43 (permalink)
    Kool. Your pics posted when I sent above reply in. What 'bout them taters???

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/28 20:30:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Kool. Your pics posted when I sent above reply in. What 'bout them taters???

Ok..so I cheated, I forgot to buy spud's when I was at the store, and this is all I had...
    (don't beat me please!)
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 01:37:24 (permalink)
    Oh, I am so sorry, but I cannot agree with this for meatloaf. Meatloaf should only be ground beef with lots and lots of different seasonings, plus a ton of chopped onions. Makes for great sandwiches. And lots of worcestershire.

Anytime I add pork sausage (preferably sweet Italian), it's for meatballs for spaghetti and.

But I do think the meatloaf can benefit with cheese, somewhere or another. Just don't know where, myself.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 06:54:07 (permalink)
    I have occasionally made meatloaf with sausage, but for my basic loaf it's just ground beef, onions, an egg, bread crumbs (I pulse a couple slices of bread in my food processor) and either worcestershire or ketchup. I think where a lot of people get it wrong is that they cook it to death--I cook it MAYBE 55 minutes at the most. My dad, the official Pickiest Eater On The Planet, loves it and requests I make it every time he visits. With some redskin mashed potatoes and green beans ... ah, comfort food.
    laststandchili
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 07:31:37 (permalink)
    My personal best meatloaf recipe is prepared jellyroll style with a healthy filling of salsa and grated cheese and cooked out on the Weber. Gotta love a meatloaf with a smokering.

Vayo con Queso
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 10:13:13 (permalink)
    Since embracing a lifestyle that incorporates low-fat foods, I have developed a meatloaf recipe using ground turkey. I don't use a lot of measuring for this recipe, but it doesn't seem to matter--it's very forgiving and always seems to work. I really like it and it must be good, since my wife, who hates whatever I cook, likes it too. It also makes great sandwiches.

1-1/2 lbs ground turkey
    1 onion, chopped, sauteed
    garlic to taste, chopped, sauteed
    1 or 2 carrots, chopped, sauteed
    mushrooms, sliced, sauteed
    1 egg, beaten
    1 cup bread crumbs, approx (not dried)
    1/2 tsp salt
    pepper to taste
    ketchup, approx. 1/2 to 3/4 cup
    dried parsley
    worcestershire sauce, to taste
    Louisiana hot sauce, to taste

Combine onions, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and egg with turkey. Add salt, pepper, ketchup, parsley, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce, then mix in bread crumbs until well combined. Put into oiled loaf pan, shape, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Charlie
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 11:41:56 (permalink)
    There isn't many recipes for meatloaf that does not ask you to add Worcestershire sauce.

Now if I told you to add a few anchovies in your meatloaf you meatloaf aficionados would probably freak out.

Well dear folks the base for all Worcestershire sauce is anchovies. Anchovies that have been soaking in a brine for two yeas ............. Read the ingredient label

I'll chop a few anchovies very fine and add them to my meatloaf or instead of opening up a can of the little fish I'll just add a table spoon of Asian fish sauce.............. Bon Appetit

Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 12:00:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Oh, I am so sorry, but I cannot agree with this for meatloaf. Meatloaf should only be ground beef with lots and lots of different seasonings, plus a ton of chopped onions. Makes for great sandwiches.
    I'm with the other Corgi guy!
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 12:05:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by albinoni

Since embracing a lifestyle that incorporates low-fat foods, I have developed a meatloaf recipe using ground turkey.
    I had a friend who eschewed (I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence!) fats. She did use beef, but browned it and then rinsed it with hot water. Wouldn't work in a meat loaf, but it actually tastes pretty good in chili or spaghetti sauce.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 12:51:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
    Originally posted by albinoni

Since embracing a lifestyle that incorporates low-fat foods, I have developed a meatloaf recipe using ground turkey.
    I had a friend who eschewed (I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence!) fats. She did use beef, but browned it and then rinsed it with hot water. Wouldn't work in a meat loaf, but it actually tastes pretty good in chili or spaghetti sauce.
    It seems to me that would defeat any seasoning you added to the cooking meat, I do however let the cooked ground meat drain for a good time before adding back into chili, casserole or taco type mixes. I don't use a loaf pan for meatloaf preferring the mound method. Surround the meat "lump" with taters, onions and carrots and let them cook in the drippings
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 14:15:49 (permalink)
    I have a secret ingredient I add to my killer meatloaf.

BAR-QUE -SAUCE!
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 876
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 14:28:36 (permalink)
    Fess up Tara. Did you use exactly 18 ounces of ground chuck and 18 ounces ground sirloin?
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 15:51:57 (permalink)
    RickF,

"Corgi guy?", SHE said, demurely batting her eyelashes.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 19:34:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

Fess up Tara. Did you use exactly 18 ounces of ground chuck and 18 ounces ground sirloin?

NoooooooooooooooooooooooQ!!!!!!!!!!!
    I used a pound of each, and No Worcestershire sauce either..
    (I dont like it)
    But I used a whole onion,(as you can see in the before photo's) and everything else that it called for.
    IMHO, there was too much thyme.. back off on that.
    AND NO SAUSAGE!!!!!!!!
    (not even one stuffed in the middle)
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 19:35:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by laststandchili

My personal best meatloaf recipe is prepared jellyroll style with a healthy filling of salsa and grated cheese and cooked out on the Weber. Gotta love a meatloaf with a smokering.

Vayo con Queso
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 19:36:53 (permalink)
    Oops, I meant to say, that meatloaf with the salsa sound really good!
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 20:05:00 (permalink)
    I tried for years to duplicate my mother's meatloaf, but never could. So, I made up my own: Ground beef, an egg or two, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, lots of chopped onion, and salsa. Mix it all up, put about 2/3 in a loaf pan. Punch out a tunnel through the middle with fist, fill with cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese. Top with the other 1/3 of the beef mixture.

Mmm-mmm.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 21:55:28 (permalink)
    When I suggested sausage, I meant a smoke sausage... Rolled in the middle to let the flavors roll out.

My personal meatloaf recipe is so simple I'll probably get ragged for even describing it...

I take about 2lbs of ground beef (or sirloin or chuck), toss in a mess of Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs, about 4 eggs, medium onion chopped fine, 2/3 or a green pepper, 1/2 of it chopped ultra fine, the other 1/2 semi course (for looks and texture).. Couple cloves of garlic chopped ultra fine with a razor blade, A pinch of salt, heavy on the black pepper, then pour some Heinz Ketchup into the mess... Knead it till my hands tire.. (Option is to add a bit of fresh ground parmesian)..
    Then I'll stick it in a bread pan, tuck up the outsides so whatever grease there is has a place to hide, and coat the top with some more Heinz Ketchup (Bakes to a nice thick coating)... Hour and 15 minutes later I pull out of the oven (cook uncovered), finish off the mashed spuds and then serve. Best to let the loaf loave for 15 to 20 minutes, otherise it tends to fall apart...
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Meatloaf for dinner tonight-It's Ready!!!!!! 2006/03/29 22:01:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    roossy90 Posted - 03/28/2006 : 12:22:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I make the worst meatloaf, and after watching last nights show and getting a bit educated, I think I know why.

Yeah, Miss Roossy I think I know why too,....... you didn't fallow the recipe to a "T"
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5