Helpful ReplyMeeting friends in Tennessee

Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12484
2018/08/15 14:11:59 (permalink)

Meeting friends in Tennessee

This past weekend, Mariton and I flew into Nashville.  The trip got off to an inauspicious start since Budget Car Rental didn't have our reservation and the Comfort Suites in Lebanon gave away our hotel room because we weren't there by 8:30.  Don't get me started...

On Saturday morning, we arrived in Knoxville and made our way to Litton's.  We were the second car in the parking lot, since Roadfood legend and all around good guy Sundancer7 (Paul) was waiting for us, along with the lovely Roz.  Litton's is best known for their cheeseburgers, so Mariton and I ordered the Thunder Road,

a perfectly cooked burger topped with creamy pimento cheese, grilled onions and a huge jalapeno pepper.  Outstanding burger!  On the side, I got the extra crispy sweet potato waffle fries.  Here is the group

posing with our lunches.

Litton's is also famous for their bakery cases full of homemade pies and cakes.  So what do you do when you have too many to choose from?  Order them all, of course!  Well, at least it seemed that way.  Here is our waiter

posing with coconut cream pie, Key lime pie, German chocolate cake, red velvet cake and strawberry cake.  Roz did a great job of cutting them up, so each one of us ended up with sections of all the desserts on their plate.  The star for me was the strawberry cake, but we all had different favorites.

As much as we enjoyed the food, it was such a treat to spend time with Paul and Roz.  I have only gotten to talk briefly to Paul at group get togethers previously, so this was an opportunity to get to know both of them better.  Paul especially has a wonderful sense of humor and had Mariton laughing.  She told me numerous times she had no idea Paul was so funny.  We laughed everytime Paul ordered an LDC (large diet Coke).  Later in the day, Paul and Roz met us for drinks back at our hotel.

The next day, we met Paul and Roz for breakfast at OliBea in downtown Knoxville and Big_g (Gary) was nice enough to join us.  Here is a group photo:

The food at OliBea was excellent and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  My entrée was the Shelton Farms grits with Benton hock. 

When they first placed the dish in front of me, I truly thought that was octopus!  After breakfast, we said our goodbyes to Gary, whom we have gotten to know through various Roadfood bus tours and Crawls.  Before we left Knoxville, Paul gave us a tour around the city, showing us the University of Tennessee campus and some beautiful neighborhoods.

It was time to get back to Nashville and as a happy coinicidence, Roadfooder Rocky Enfield and his family were also in town.  Rocky and I had met for dinner several years earlier, so I already knew what a terrific person he was.  He suggested Loveless Café as he has never been there before, so we were on our way.  I got there first and put our name on the list, as it turned out to be an 1 1/4 hour wait.  We eventually got seated in the far back table, which would have been used when the Crawl was in Nashville earlier in the year.

The food was good, especially those famous biscuits

sided by homemade preserves (peach is my favorite), but we were there for the company, as Rocky's wife Kathy, daughter Amelia and son Ian are a delight.  It was great catching up and making new friends.  One final group shot:

Mariton and I agreed that this was one of the most fun weekend trips we had this year.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/15 15:15:26 (permalink)
It's always great to get together with old Roadfood friends.
We hope to see Paul and Roz in October as we pass through the Tennessee Smoky Mountains and we hope to meet Rocky Enfield as we pass through Northern Indiana next month (all on the same trip!)
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 958
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/15 16:18:45 (permalink)
Looks great! I'm dying to get back to Tennessee.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/15 16:56:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
It's always great to get together with old Roadfood friends.
We hope to see Paul and Roz in October as we pass through the Tennessee Smoky Mountains and we hope to meet Rocky Enfield as we pass through Northern Indiana next month (all on the same trip!)

Perhaps there will be a nice recap like this for all of us to enjoy and share in your travels! 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8933
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/15 17:46:15 (permalink)
buffetbuster
The food at OliBea was excellent and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  My entrée was the Shelton Farms grits with Benton hock. 

When they first placed the dish in front of me, I truly thought that was octopus!

I thought the exact same thing before I read the accompanying text!  So just what is Benton Hock?  Is it a deep-fried, sliced cob with the kernels still attached?
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9857
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/15 18:57:46 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

When they first placed the dish in front of me, I truly thought that was octopus!

I thought the exact same thing before I read the accompanying text!  So just what is Benton Hock?  Is it a deep-fried, sliced cob with the kernels still attached?

My mind reels with possibilities. Please solve the mystery!! 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/16 07:29:15 (permalink)
Benton hock.

Benton is famous in the area for their quality hams, bacon, etc.  Big_g was kind enough to bring several of us some bacon a few years ago on a Roadfood Bus Tour and it is about as good as it gets!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8933
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/16 08:28:22 (permalink)
So the hock meat was in the grits and the corn was an edible garnish?
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/16 08:43:00 (permalink)
Exactly!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/16 11:49:27 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
So the hock meat was in the grits and the corn was an edible garnish?

It's like going to the dentist....
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 860
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/08/16 13:35:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby buffetbuster 2018/08/16 14:37:26
leethebard
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

My mind reels with possibilities. Please solve the mystery!! 

UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!

Great report and pics as usual, BB. Thanks.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13910
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/09/17 06:07:53 (permalink)
Buffet Buster and Cousin Johnny made a stop in Knoxville this past week being chased out of Charleston by Florence.  He made me aware of this thread and for some reason I missed it.  We met at littons and again had the same great server.  He was fun and full of information and he knew immediately what a LDC was.  We again had several desserts.  BB and Johnny sure know how to have a good time.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Meeting friends in Tennessee 2018/09/17 06:13:16 (permalink)
Can't thank you enough for joining us again on such short notice Paul.  Johnny raved about his pimento cheeseburger from Litton's and the great company.

I will post a few photos when I get the chance.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5