Memphis

Author
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 815
2018/04/19 01:23:06 (permalink)

Memphis

If I'm able to fit in one additional barbecue place in Memphis next week, which should it be between Corky's, Central BBQ and Interstate BBQ? Or is there another that would be better (other than A&R, Germantown Commissary, Leonard's, BBQ Shop, Payne's and Cozy Corner).

Thanks!

David

6 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1349
    Re: Memphis 2018/04/19 16:54:07 (permalink)
    We ate at Central last year and I wasn't impressed. Their 'que is too spicy and it takes away from the meat. Corky's is OK, I do like their ribs. Never have done Interstate, but it is on my list, after Payne's. If I had to choose from your list I'd go with Interstate.

As an aside, if you cane squeeze in some chicken get over to Uncle Lou's. It blows Gus's out of the water!
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Memphis 2018/04/19 18:25:26 (permalink)
    I went to Interstate on my only other trip to Memphis, before I had gotten obsessed with Roadfood and barbecue. I thought it was good, loved the barbecue spaghetti. I ordered way too much food. I also went to Rendezvous, which I didn’t like much at all.

I have Uncle Lou’s on my list, but it’s unlikely I’ll get there. There’s going to be so much fried chicken in Nashville!

Thanks for chiming in!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4224
    Re: Memphis 2018/04/19 19:46:58 (permalink)
    Davidsanders
    I went to Interstate on my only other trip to Memphis, before I had gotten obsessed with Roadfood and barbecue. I thought it was good, loved the barbecue spaghetti. I ordered way too much food. I also went to Rendezvous, which I didn’t like much at all.

I have Uncle Lou’s on my list, but it’s unlikely I’ll get there. There’s going to be so much fried chicken in Nashville!

Thanks for chiming in!

Glad that I did not suggest Rendezvous, as that was my favorite of the 3  barbeque places we tried there.  Of course, rubbed ribs without sauce on them is my preference.
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Memphis 2018/04/20 00:44:27 (permalink)
    Greymo
    Davidsanders

Thanks for chiming in!

Glad that I did not suggest Rendezvous, as that was my favorite of the 3  barbeque places we tried there.  Of course, rubbed ribs without sauce on them is my preference.

What were the other two places you tried?
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12191
    Re: Memphis 2018/04/20 08:15:41 (permalink)
    Two other places worth considering....

Tom's BBQ was tipped to me by the nice man at the Budget Car Rental years ago and everytime I would see him, he would always ask if I made there yet.  We went for the first time in January.  The owner was nice and accommodating, but the staff who took our order were very unfriendly.  The pork bbq sandwich sure looked like the real thing, although the cole slaw was underneath the pork.  Unfortunately, it had little flavor.  I would like to go back again someday to give it another try.

We enjoyed Williams BBQ across the river in West Memphis much more.  Friendly people and Mr. Williams keeps a close eye everything from his seat up front.  This had much more smoky, meaty flavor.  We wanted to try a couple of other things while we were there, but they were already out of them.  If you go, try one of their mini-pecan pies, too.  Not a great neighborhood and the driveway is awful, but we still felt perfectly safe. 
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/04/20 08:20:04
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Memphis 2018/04/20 08:37:19 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Two other places worth considering....

Tom's BBQ was tipped to me by the nice man at the Budget Car Rental years ago and everytime I would see him, he would always ask if I made there yet.  We went for the first time in January.  The owner was nice and accommodating, but the staff who took our order were very unfriendly.  The pork bbq sandwich sure looked like the real thing, although the cole slaw was underneath the pork.  Unfortunately, it had little flavor.  I would like to go back again someday to give it another try.

We enjoyed Williams BBQ across the river in West Memphis much more.  Friendly people and Mr. Williams keeps a close eye everything from his seat up front.  This had much more smoky, meaty flavor.  We wanted to try a couple of other things while we were there, but they were already out of them.  If you go, try one of their mini-pecan pies, too.  Not a great neighborhood and the driveway is awful, but we still felt perfectly safe. 

Thanks Cliff. I think I might try to get to Williams.

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5