Miami to Keys What are some good places

Author
shark13
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2003/09/06 17:59:02 (permalink)

Miami to Keys What are some good places

Wife and I will be driving to the Keys from Miami in Oct and I know we are going to have to stop and eat along the way any suggestions??

27 Replies Related Threads

peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/06 20:38:50 (permalink)
    Is Shorty's Barbecue still around in South Miami? That used to be the end of civilization. Now it is the middle of suburbia.

If they are still around, they are good.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/08 15:07:04 (permalink)
    Although its been several years since we were there, we would recommend Mrs. Mac's Kitchen at mile marker 99.4 on U.S. 1 (Key Largo). Nothing fancy about it but good Key's seafood type joint at very reasonable prices. Place was packed every time we went.

If your looking for a place to stay in the upper keys I recommend the Largo Lodge. LL is a collection of concrete block bungalow's set among lush and I do mean lush vegetation. You'll feel like you are in the jungle when your only a block off US 1. Nice pier for watching the sunset over Florida Bay and the boats travelling up and down the ICW. Resident flock of ibis come in each afternoon. You can imagine you're back in the 30's. You almost expect Edward G. to blow in on hurrican winds any minute. Try this link. www.largolodge.com
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/08 16:19:01 (permalink)
    My entire In-Law family live in the Keys. About Shorty's, still there, infact there are a few.
    How far down in the keys are you going? Know good places all the way down to the Southern Most point mile marker. Also share the route you plan on taking. I recommend taking the 18 mile stretch and going on card sound road, in Florida City. There is a neat restaurant there on the water called Alabama Jacks. For the one dollar toll, worth seeing on your way down.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/10 10:55:36 (permalink)
    We stayed at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada recently and took trips up and down the keys. There is a great roadfood seafood place in Islamorada called Capt. Billy's right on the pier which had exquisite grilled tuna. Across the Hwy. near Cheeca is a super Italian seafood place (the name escapes me) but the Zupa de Pesci was wonderful (and hot!). Also a great sports bar about two miles north of Cheeca. Do that for a day or so then go to the tourist spots in Key West.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/25 10:19:20 (permalink)
    I like the Italian Fisherman in Key Largo. Great open outdoor dining at sunset. A good red tomatoe sauce for a restaurant, (all red sauces are judged by my Mothers homecooked, the stuff I grew up with) When in key west, I like Paul's half shell raw bar. Lot's of fresh selections. Anyone know the name of that small diner on the ocean side of key largo next to the place where you can rent an underwater room in a small submersible for the night? It has a great breakfast ambience and the foods not bad either.
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/25 13:30:29 (permalink)
    In Big Pine Key, a good place for breakfast and or lunch is The Big Pine Coffee Shop. Always busy, the wait is very short.
    29943 Overseas Hwy , PO Box 430565
    Big Pine Key, FL 33043
    Main Phone: 305-872-2790

thejab
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2003/09/26 21:15:34 (permalink)
    A must stop is the Green Turtle Inn in Islamorada. Unfortunately I heard Tina Martin no longer entertains on piano there.

http://www.greenturtleinn.com

Also worth a stop for a drink is the Safari Lounge, between Islamorada and Marathon. It's filled with animal heads.

doowasil
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/14 19:09:00 (permalink)
    Shorty's is still there along with a couple more in Dade county and another in Broward. Been going there since a kid in the sixties. Their homemade warm bbq sauce and corn on the cob is the best.

Is Shorty's Barbecue still around in South Miami? That used to be the end of civilization. Now it is the middle of suburbia.

If they are still around, they are good.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 647
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/15 10:03:36 (permalink)
    Posted this last spring. Hope it helps you in your trip. There are still tons of other archived RF posts for the FL keys.

quote:
    Originally posted by TxConnie

I am going to Miami in May for a conference. Taking a few extra days to travel the Keys. What should be on my 'must eat' list? Darn it, though, we will be there after Stone Crab season ends.

TxConnie, just posted this a few days ago. Hope you find it helpful. Enjoy your trip to the Conch Republiic!

Just got back from 4 days down in the keys. With the grandkids in tow, didn't get to stop at some places that might have suited QFan just fine had I been on a RF trip alone. However, there were some good choices.
    First off the Fish House in Key Largo, which has been mentioned in several previous posts, was excellent. Service was fast and friendly--definitely a local feel to the whole place--and best of all everyone in my group of 6 got something they liked. 3 of the adults had excellent seafood, "matecumbe" style (a keys specialty) and 1 person had an outstanding charcoal-grilled cheeseburger. So keep the Fish House on your radar if you are heading down the Overseas Highway. It's on the Atlantic Ocean (left) side not long after you enter onto Key Largo. Very small building and the road is divided there so keep your eyes open.
    Second recommendation would be The Island in Marathon. It's on the Gulf side around mile marker 45. Very attractive open air dining venue with a terrific chickie bar where you won't mind waiting the 40-50 mins or so it may take to get your table and the drinks and view out over the aquamarine water will make the time go quickly as well as the very outgoing atmosphere. Seafood and salads were the primary picks and both the fresh catch of the day and the grouper were worth the waiting. Also the conch fritters were outstanding and the stone crab claws appetizer portion had everybody smacking their lips.
    Last recommendation is for you Mexican fans and is about an hour further down from Marathon just before you come into the outskirts of Key West and it's horrible traffic. Just as a side note: you've got to want to see Key West really bad in order to deal with the crowds (both auto visitors and cruise ship hordes) and traffic. Anyhow, Chico's Cantina, on the Atlantic side off the long causeway coming into Key West from the north, was a really lucky bonus find. We had planned to eat in town but got scared off by the crowds. Chico's salsa is freshly-made with a real kick to it and served w/ warm house-made tortilla chips. QFan had fajitas which were good (not great) and others had better than okay burritos and enchiladas. But again the friendly atmosphere and service on their pleasant outdoor garden patio made the whole stop a relaxing and non-touristy experience. They also sell margaritas and sangria by the pitcher and everything was reasonably priced.
    Hope this may be useful to some of you cold-climate RF-ers who are fortunate enough to get down this way in the future. The weather for the whole trip was balmy with daytime temps in the low 80's.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/15 10:29:20 (permalink)
    Bahama Mama's is on the right a few miles before Key West. We also enjoyed Bay View Grille at MP 99.5 - I had a fantastic grouper sandwich for lunch.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 17:55:56 (permalink)
    I lived in the upper keys for 10 years and worked at a place on the ocean side.. LAZY DAYS at mile marker 77in Islamorada, right across from Papa Joes. It sits back and overhangs the ocean.. Best view..... ... Killer food.. try the steamers... They will also cook your own catch.
    I was back there a year ago and ate there, and it was still just as good...Ask for Scotty, a server there that Tara said hello if you do stop in. We used to work together at Lorelei at MM 80
    And also the bartender knows me also.. for some reason, his name escapes me....big guy with blonde hair..hmmmmm-
    I also worked at the Green Turtle. Used to have a killer Hearts Of Palm salad.. Tina has been gone awhile I think. Her daughter died in an accident, I heard.
    Another good place is gone also.. A real Italian place named Dinos.. that was excellent Italian and authentic.. right down to the grape arbor that :momma" planted when you enter the front door..
    My brother still lives there in Key Largo.
    But a must eat is Uncles...
    That is MM79 Islamorada on the ocean side also.. Just south of Cheeca Lodge on US 1... That is MUST EAT!
    Tell them Tara said hey also...
    That was my favorite place by all means..they have an outside deck and bar and a superb wine list...
    They made my BF and I a special dessert for valentines one time and suprised the heck out of us..
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 17:58:46 (permalink)
    Also worth a stop for a drink is the Safari Lounge, between Islamorada and Marathon. It's filled with animal heads.

I used to hang at the Safari.. The locals call it the Dead Animal Bar.. Cool Place..
    And the sports bar just as you cross the bridge on the right going south is called HOG HEAVEN....Good steak sub at the time I lived there...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 18:02:18 (permalink)
    http://www.keysdining.com/uncles.html
    Here is the link to Uncles....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23230
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 18:09:22 (permalink)
    I haven't been there in some years, but I was just told today that the food is still excellent at the Ocean Reef Club on Key Largo.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 18:17:52 (permalink)

oops.. almost forgot, the Lazy Days Clams.. yummy...
    http://keysdining.com/lazydays/index.htm
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 18:21:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I haven't been there in some years, but I was just told today that the food is still excellent at the Ocean Reef Club on Key Largo.

Not sure if you have to be a member there or not...At least carry a LARGE billfold...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 18:33:38 (permalink)
    http://www.keysdining.com/woodys/menu.htm

It is a titty bar now, but their pizza is to die for, havent had good pizza since I left Islamorada back in '98....
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 18:36:00 (permalink)

FYI... a whole slew of restaurants.....Bentlys Islamorada has prime rib on mondays with bone in...or they used to.

http://www.bootkeyharbor.com/restaurants.htm

This link has restaurants all up and down the keys...

Islamorada Fish Company has the best cracked conch sandwich...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23230
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/19 19:17:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Not sure if you have to be a member there or not...At least carry a LARGE billfold...

I've been a member for more than 40 years, but you are right about the size of the billfold. Membership, though, is no longer necessary to stay there or eat there. Oh, I was given the membership.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/20 18:43:14 (permalink)
    Oops..
    I meant on the left side of the bridge as you go south...
    to get to HOG HEAVEN...
    There is another place on the right side....Shall I just say, OCEANSIDE?..
    Ha ha..
    I should know better having lived there for 10 years...
    SHeesh.. Red faced here..
    Tara
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/22 13:02:50 (permalink)
    montys outdoor seafood restaurant about mm 26 in sugarloaf or summerland key on west side of road, better be hungry, for the non locals thats 70 miles south of key largo or twenty minutes north of key west and theres only 1 road
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/10/22 18:17:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by phatphil

montys outdoor seafood restaurant about mm 26 in sugarloaf or summerland key on west side of road, better be hungry, for the non locals thats 70 miles south of key largo or twenty minutes north of key west and theres only 1 road

Yeah, but there are tons of restaurants in between key largo and summerland key.....
    gimaqt
    Junior Burger
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/11/16 00:32:46 (permalink)
    I just came back from the keys, should have checked this site.
    We stopped in Key Largo at Cracked conch. DO NOT go there! Ants all over my soup and the table, slow service, the dolphin $22 tasted gritty like it was dropped on the floor. Not very friendly or welcoming. VERY VERY slow service! Keep driving by this one!
    gimaqt
    Junior Burger
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/11/16 00:34:55 (permalink)
    Once you are in the keys I LOVED the place at 500 white st. Joe's Cantina. Very reasonable prices. I had a cuban sandwich. It is authentic cuba, they do have burgers etc, but it was quick, friendly service and love that place!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/11/22 18:59:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gimaqt

I just came back from the keys, should have checked this site.
    We stopped in Key Largo at Cracked conch. DO NOT go there! Ants all over my soup and the table, slow service, the dolphin $22 tasted gritty like it was dropped on the floor. Not very friendly or welcoming. VERY VERY slow service! Keep driving by this one!

That place used to be THE place to eat back in the 80's early 90's.. I guess like everything else, someone new probably bought it and let it run down, just serving crappy food at a rip off price and makes it look bad for the legitimate/hard working/good food mom n pop places to survive..
    I sure hope a local didnt recommend the place...
    I know that I will not work at a place that I wont eat at or recommend the food, no matter how good the money is....

Owner du jour/manager du jour was a few popular saying's in Key West back in the early 90's...
    Tara
    cblomax
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/11/23 17:46:43 (permalink)
    I dont like responding when I can not remember the name of the resturant but this place was so good:

It's a small place on the right just past Little Torch Key that looks like a fish market, which it is, with a grill and a couple of tables to sit and eat. You pick out of the refrigerator case what you want and they cook it. Dishes are very simple but oh so delicious. And since it looks like a fish market, you may not stop there to eat unless someone recommends it to you. Stop and ask, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
    gmbrown
    Junior Burger
    RE: Miami to Keys What are some good places 2005/11/28 17:18:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

Although its been several years since we were there, we would recommend Mrs. Mac's Kitchen at mile marker 99.4 on U.S. 1 (Key Largo). Nothing fancy about it but good Key's seafood type joint at very reasonable prices. Place was packed every time we went...

I wonder if Mrs Mac's has anything to do with Mac and Marie's.

A long time ago, Mac and Marie's was a hot eatery on Key Largo with the Miami crowd. The menu consisted of yellow tail snapper and shrimp served in several different ways, all kind of unusual and interesting and I suspect invented by Mac, as well as wonderful key lime pie.

It's been gone for at least twenty or thirty years and the roadside shack with Florida shutters where it used to be was almost run over by the new northbound lanes on US1 and, although it is just feet from the right of way, it has been essentially swallowed up by the mangroves and vines so that it is almost invisible.

Anyhow, the food at Mac and Marie's was truly memorable and, if anyone has picked up the tradition, I would like to know about it.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5