Helpful ReplyHot!Minneapolis / St. Paul Crawl: April 25th to 28th, 2019

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 28
Author
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 08:42:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/11 09:04:47
ChiTownDiner
Dale

Do you get paid for Davydd references?  I'm thinking the royalty stream must be immense!  

No but apparently Buddy does- he was the one who quoted the Davydd reference
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5603
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 10:23:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Oh...man... You're not blowing off Carol's Restaurant and Kaffe Stuga ??- those are the two main reasons (besides Tavern on Grand) that we're making this trip.

Very funny Dale.

You Rick-rolled me with Carol's and Kaffe Stuga.

The first thing I see on Carol's menu is "Homemade Thai Lettuce Wraps" and Stuga's menu looks like Diner 101 from Anywheres-ville USA. Certainly not the regionally appropriateness I'd expect from The Sultan. That better be a damn fine Hamburger Steak (listed under Seafood?) or Chicken Strips Basket at Stuga to warrant a 50-mile drive from MSP.

Where you pranking me Dale or did I Google the wrong restaurants and/or menus?

Jim
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 10:29:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/01/11 10:57:19
Looks like we are setting up for multiple Cortados in the Twin Cities!  

chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 10:40:02 (permalink)
Looks like Linda and I are out. One of my distributors just scheduled a trade show that Thursday and Friday. The good part is that it's in Panama City Beach.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 10:58:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/11 13:23:05
ChiTownDiner
Looks like we are setting up for multiple Cortados in the Twin Cities!  

We'll need to spell it "Corralejo" for this one.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12484
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 10:59:48 (permalink)
Life just isn't fair sometimes, is it chickenplucker?  Sorry you can't make it.
Lurker
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 11:01:04 (permalink)
JRPfeff
wanderingjew
Oh...man... You're not blowing off Carol's Restaurant and Kaffe Stuga ??- those are the two main reasons (besides Tavern on Grand) that we're making this trip.

Very funny Dale.

You Rick-rolled me with Carol's and Kaffe Stuga.

The first thing I see on Carol's menu is "Homemade Thai Lettuce Wraps" and Stuga's menu looks like Diner 101 from Anywheres-ville USA. Certainly not the regionally appropriateness I'd expect from The Sultan. That better be a damn fine Hamburger Steak (listed under Seafood?) or Chicken Strips Basket at Stuga to warrant a 50-mile drive from MSP.

Where you pranking me Dale or did I Google the wrong restaurants and/or menus?

Jim

Carol's Restaurant
Home made Hot Meatloaf, Hot Beefs and Hot Turkey (Real carved) Sandwiches with homemade bread, homemade stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce and homemade gravy, real - The Sterns love this place- and did a review on Roadfood.

Kaffe Stuga

Don't try that smoke and mirrors trick that Davydd used to pull pre facebook.
Look at the Daily Specials
Tater Tot Hotdish
Cabbage Rolls
Swedish Meatballs
Swedish Potato Sausage
Swedish stuffed meat dumplings
Cream of Wild Rice Soup
-
These are the various daily specials and they will likely agree to prepare  some of them for our visit after a discussion with the owner/manager.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 11:32:54 (permalink)
Thanks for clarifying Dale.

Carol's menu looks like any small town diner menu around here. Definitely somewhere I will avoid while traveling.

"Daily" typically means "daily," so we are looking at maybe one offering worth trying while at Stuga. An hour out, an hour to eat, & an hour back - no thank you. Anyway, this is just another diner and I'm not going to this one either.

BTW, Caffe Stuga is: Recommended by 129 people · People talk about "roast beef sandwich", "biscuit and gravy" and "french toast." Yum-mo.
Lurker
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 11:53:25 (permalink)
Thanks for clarifying Dale.

Carol's menu looks like any small town diner menu around here. Definitely somewhere I will avoid while traveling.

"Daily" typically means "daily," so we are looking at maybe one offering worth trying while at Stuga. An hour out, an hour to eat, & an hour back - no thank you. Anyway, this is just another diner and I'm not going to this one either.

BTW, Caffe Stuga is: Recommended by 129 people · People talk about "roast beef sandwich", "biscuit and gravy" and "french toast." Yum-mo.

Stuga is going to prepare several offerings for us- not just one.... This has already been discussed with Buddy

Why would you accuse the Sterns of doing a review of a generic diner?

I'm just looking for regional and unique...All the other suggestions look like stuff I can get here in Rhode Island (and probably better too) you can skip that part of the day- you don't have to do everything. We're going to skip a lot too- especially the Asian stuff since what we can get the same stuff here.
because we can get the same stuff here in CT
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 12:04:31 (permalink)
By this time last year, I think almost everyone had made their travels plans. Has anyone made hotel reservations for the Twin Cities yet? Where is the group staying?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 12:15:13 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Because Minnesota was a culinary wasteland in the 1970's when they wrote their book and they had pages and pages to fill. They chose the best of what was available; which was a really, really low bar for that area.
Lurker
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 12:36:38 (permalink)
JRPfeff
wanderingjew

Because Minnesota was a culinary wasteland in the 1970's when they wrote their book and they had pages and pages to fill. They chose the best of what was available; which was a really, really low bar for that area.

The Sterns were never there in the 70's- it's a new review, they were there last year- they were there last year. buffetbuster loved Carol's Restaurant too.
If all we're going to do is burgers , Asian and ethopian or generic other restaurants then we'll just stay home- we're not going to spend money on airfare and hotels when we get the same thing but better quality in RI an CT and Boston

Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 12:57:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/11 13:24:51
wanderingjew

If all we're going to do is burgers , Asian and ethopian or generic other restaurants then we'll just stay home- we're not going to spend money on airfare and hotels when we get the same thing but better quality in RI an CT and Boston

I thought you were going to be around Jim.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:17:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/01/11 20:42:37
JRPfeff
By this time last year, I think almost everyone had made their travels plans. Has anyone made hotel reservations for the Twin Cities yet? Where is the group staying?

We have our flights booked, but not the hotel as of yet. 

I can tell you that I find staying out near the airport and the Mall of America very convenient.  Plenty of choices and an easy drive to downtown.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:22:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2019/01/11 13:27:11
JRPfeff
wanderingjew

Guessing you are just being a contrarian, but I disagree 100% with this.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:27:55 (permalink)
Not at all Cliff. It really shows the superior writing skills of Jane & Michael to be able to showcase mediocre and mundane restaurants as being "Don't Miss" in desirability and being able to dupe the gullible into mimicing this nonsense.
Lurker
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:28:53 (permalink)
buffetbuster
JRPfeff
wanderingjew

Guessing you are just being a contrarian, but I disagree 100% with this.

Some of my favorite  long gone Roadfood restaurants of all times were Crabtree's Kitchen in Marine on St Croix and Anderson House in Wabasha, along with old School White Way Café in Durant IA and Dodd's Town House in Indy.

We've gotten our flights but are awaiting to see what is finalized to see if we'll go to MSP, worse case scenario we will spend more time in the U.P. and more time in Madison WI and Detroit.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2019/01/11 13:30:14
Lurker
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:30:44 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew

Lurker
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:41:35 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Not at all Cliff. It really shows the superior writing skills of Jane & Michael to be able to showcase mediocre and mundane restaurants as being "Don't Miss" in desirability and being able to dupe the gullible into mimicing this nonsense.

So I guess everyone on Roadfood is gullible

I'm not sure about your diners. But very few around here that have homemade bread, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce on hot beefs, hot turkey (hand carved) or meatloaf- come to think of it- diners or restaurants around here don't have that at all

As far as Kaffe Stuga- I'm not sure what you're reading but they have 3500 likes- that's pretty good for small town Minnesota.
 I can't get Swedish Meatballs, Swedish Potato Sausage or Kroppkokar- it doesn't exist anywhere I know. I miss Scandinavian food- good stick to your ribs solid food.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2019/01/11 13:46:44
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 13:59:09 (permalink)
JRPfeff
wanderingjew

Why do I get the feeling this has something to do with Paul Bunyan's axe?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 14:25:49 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew

David,

You mean "Dale." I didn't say that.

Jim
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 14:38:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/01/11 15:10:45
JRPfeff
Davidsanders
wanderingjew

David,

You mean "Dale." I didn't say that.

Jim

I meant I thought Dale was just going so he could be near you.
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 311
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 20:27:17 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Buddy-
The amount of work and preparation you are putting into this is truly impressive and appreciated beyond words.  Thanks for doing all of this!

Cliff, you are 100% right. I am amazed at the detail Buddy goes into for these crawls. Give him the respect to finish what he has to say.
post edited by nagle - 2019/01/11 20:45:30
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6418
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 21:58:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/01/11 22:13:32
Thanks to buffetbuster and nagle for the support.  Everybody else done fighting now?  Cuz here's the second installment of Crawl candidates.

Minnesota “Heritage Food”
Hell’s Kitchen: This place has been a Twin Cities hot spot since the day they opened.  Initially started as a breakfast only operation, they’ve since expanded into lunch and dinner with an extensive Sunday brunch menu too.  They’re a little on the high end of reasonable, price-wise.  But consistently good reviews tell you folks love Hell’s Kitchen (including here on Roadfood).  They're very well know for their Wild Rice Breakfast Porridge and Cornmeal Pancakes.

Black Forest Inn: Contrary to wanderingpublic opinion, the Germans were the first Europeans to settle Minnesota extensively, and still maintain a 9.4% edge in population over the Norwegians and Swedes, combined.  So for a real Mpls/StP Heritage food experience, we need to visit a German restaurant.  Just so happens, Black Forest Inn fits that bill.

We’ve visited BFI many times over the years.  The lunch and dinner menus are 100% authentic, and the food and service were always excellent.  The ambiance is an eye-popping combination of warmth and welcome.  There's also an outdoor garden if the weather allows.  Recent reviews indicate the food may have slipped a little, but I’m hoping our local advocates can verify or deny those reports before we make a final decision.

Kaffe Stuga: Ah, the point of so much needless contention, so let’s get right to it.  This place looks like it’s quaint, rustic, and full of small-town charm.  It is a total Roadfood find.  wanderingjew swears by the food and has even arranged for them to cook up a true Minnesota Norske Feast not usually found on the regular menu.

The other side of the coin is that it is located 48 miles north of downtown St. Paul.  It’s a 50-minute drive each way, plus an hour at the restaurant.  In other words, we’re looking at an almost three-hour time commitment and just shy of a hundred-mile round trip for this meal.

Before anybody’s blood pressure pops, I’m not trying to convince you we shouldn’t make this trip.  In fact, I’m trying to tie in one of wj’s other suggestions, along with other geographically outlying candidates, to put together a sensible day outside the Twin Cities metro area.

Let’s look at the other possible stops falling into the same “Heritage Food” category…

Carol’s Restaurant: A bit more suburban than Kaffe Stuga, but still highly regarded for their food, Carol’s is well reviewed here on Roadfood.  All the breads and pastries are made in-house and all the comfort food staples are the real thing, not some off-the-back-of-the-Sysco-truck phonies.

Carol’s is on the way to Kaffe Stuga, giving us better value for the time spent driving.  But wait, there’s more…

Eichten’s Market & Grill: Eichten’s is on the way back from Kaffe Stuga.  Their menu includes meals made with their very own cheeses, and bison grown on their farm.  There’s also a marketplace selling specialty foods, cheeses, prepackaged locally made sausages and jerky.

Taste of Scandinavia: Another Norske themed deli.  They have several locations around town.  The one in North Oaks would fit in nicely with the rest of the route.  The menu includes a Danish Salmon Sandwich, Finnish Pasties, Swedish Meatballs, and a Norwegian Chicken Lefse Melt.  They also serve an all-day Breakfast.

Another possible stop on this route would be Donatelli's in White Bear Lake, suggested by Mr. & Mrs. Bonk.  They say Donatelli’s has some great Pizza.  More on that later, in another category.

These four stops will likely take 5-6 hours.  There are some great Roadfood opportunities involved.  The question we as a group need to answer is, do we want to spend that much time, going well over a hundred miles round trip?  Let’s keep the discussion civil and out in the open.  No smoke filled room politics, please.

Back to the Mpls/StP Metro candidates…

Ingebretsen’s Deli: Strictly a butcher shop, deli & marketplace, Ingebretsen’s doesn’t serve food, but they’re loaded with Norske specialties.  Specialty meats, sausages, and cheeses are all available along with a vast array of Swedish specialty food items in Ingebretsen’s Marketplace.

Diners
Band Box Diner: You’ll remember Band Box Diner from the Burger listings.  I’ve repeated it here because they have a full diner menu that looks pretty tasty.  And as I said before, it just looks really cool.

Al’s Dinkytown Diner: One of the Twin Cities two iconic diners.  Al’s is famous not just for their food, but for their unique accommodations.  It’s a tiny place with no waiting area. Customers sit at a counter eating while the next group waiting for seating stands directly behind them waiting for a spot to open up.

Sounds like a nightmare for a big group, right?  We’re investigating an opportunity for a private party, just for the Crawl.  Could be the perfect spot for a farewell brunch!

Mickey’s Diner: The other iconic diner, this one on the St. Paul side.  To be honest, I think Mickey’s offers more in the way of photo opportunities than it does good food.  We only ate there once and left unimpressed.  I’ll include Mickey’s on the itinerary if enough people express interest, otherwise I’m inclined to pick other places.

Just a note: Mickey’s is open 24/7/365, and the photo opportunities are better at night.  This might a late-night independent study stop better made after a beer or two.

Ideal Diner: An old-time diner, lesser known than Al’s and Mickey’s.  They serve Homemade Corned Beef Hash along with a menu full of omelets and other breakfast selections, sandwiches, and chili.  Nuthin’ fancy, just good working man’s food.

Day By Day Café: Another solid diner choice.  For those of you who were on the KC Crawl, I’d describe the ambiance as a blue-collar version of Happy Gillis or You Say Tomato.  Nice selection of Burgers, Sandwiches, and all-day Breakfast.

That's it for today.  Everybody feeling better?  Lot's more to come; even Minnesota Barbecue!

Keep the comments coming, because this is your tour.  I'm just organizing it.  Let's try to keep it civil.  The anonymity of the internet goes *poof* when we all see each other at the end of April, and I'd hate to see a situation where people can't face each other. 

Buddy
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 22:13:29 (permalink)
Everything sounds great!  The burgers....the German food...the wild rice porridge!  The fish!!!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6418
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 22:17:08 (permalink)
Thanks for the enthusiasm!  I'm hoping everyone will go further and express some preferences for one restaurant over another.  There's no way we'll get even half the potential places in, and your feedback will help me make the final choices.

Thanks,
Buddy
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/11 23:30:47 (permalink)
Matt's
Tavern on Grand
Hell's Kitchen
Black Forest Inn
Al's
Kaffe Stuga
Carol's
Mickey's

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/12 07:35:27 (permalink)
buffetbuster
JRPfeff

We have our flights booked, but not the hotel as of yet. 

I can tell you that I find staying out near the airport and the Mall of America very convenient.  Plenty of choices and an easy drive to downtown.

I have my car ride booked....and most of my route.  Hotel next....TBC..
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/12 07:36:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/01/17 19:30:15
nagle
buffetbuster
Buddy-
The amount of work and preparation you are putting into this is truly impressive and appreciated beyond words.  Thanks for doing all of this!

Cliff, you are 100% right. I am amazed at the detail Buddy goes into for these crawls. Give him the respect to finish what he has to say.

Looking for a free Cortado I see....
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/12 07:43:01 (permalink)
Buddy

I appreciate all your efforts in organizing, researching and providing all the options.  Are you able to provide an overview as to how many either groups or places you will list?  The obvious reason is that if I select places from the current list and then you throw out 50 more....

Also, are there any must do stops for a 1st dinner or farewell breakfast, etc. that we build around?  Not jumping the gun, just curious.  

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 28
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5