Helpful ReplyHot!Minneapolis / St. Paul Crawl: April 25th to 28th, 2019

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 26
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6391
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/17 21:39:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby schlotz 2019/01/17 22:19:47
You could do worse than Coon Rapids.  Never stayed there, but visited adjacent Brooklyn Park many times.  Just as a geographic point of reference, your best bet is to stay inside, or as close as possible to, the 694/494 Belt that encircles the Twin Cities.  Coon Rapids will be fine, but any further out than that and you'll a fair ways from the action.

Buddy
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5241
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/18 08:02:19 (permalink)
I booked Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport for $101.00 per night.  I'm sure it will be condemned or closed by the time I get there, but, it's booked!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13902
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/18 10:33:28 (permalink)
I could go back several pages and determine actual dates but perhaps someone will save me the time and give it to  me.  Thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5261
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/18 10:35:53 (permalink)
Sundancer7
I could go back several pages and determine actual dates but perhaps someone will save me the time and give it to  me.  Thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

April 25th thru April 28th - also in Title.  Some arriving a bit early also. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 02:35:30 (permalink)
I’m starting off today’s list in an area where I am not an expert: Italian food.  Plop down a hefty order of Spaghetti & Meatballs in front of me, and as long as it’s loaded with garlic, I’m a happy man.  Others have a more critical palate, so I’ll leave it to the experts to decide if we need an Italian stop on this Crawl, and if any of these candidates is worthy.

Italian, Authentic & Americanized
Campiello: By my “roadside shack” standards, Campiello is a pretty high-end place.  Others with more experience in white tablecloth restaurants might differ.  In any case, we enjoyed a good meal here back in the days when we visited MSP three times every summer.  The extensive menu covers everything from wood fired Pizza to Sandwiches, to Regional Italian Specialties.

Cossetta’s Italian Market: I won’t even pretend this place offers authentic Italian, but it is a lot of fun.  The three-floor complex offers casual cafeteria style Italian dining, an Italian market and bakery filled with imported goods, and a sit down, full service restaurant on the third floor.  Good grub, but it ain’t as good as Mama made.

Bar La Grassa: This is one of those places recommended by the tourism board.  It truly qualifies as a high-end operation.  Not my kind of joint, but the food looks top notch, and this is your Crawl, so if enough folks are interested, we’ll make it part of the itinerary.

Red Rabbit: Looks like a more casual version of Bar La Grassa; similar dishes, lower prices, more laid-back atmosphere.  Has potential.

Broders’ Cucina Italiana: A super casual Italian Deli with a solid menu of sandwiches and full entrees.  We’ve eaten at their higher priced sister operation across the street, Broders’ Pasta Bar.  Had a very nice meal there, but this version is more along the lines of Roadfood dining.

Hello Pizza: Another casual operation with maybe a touch of hipster on the side.  They’ve got a nice Pizza/Sub/Salad menu and serve one of the local specialty brands of Ice Cream, Izzy’s for dessert.  Could be a nice two for one.

Mucci’s: Speaking of two for one; how about a neighborhood joint serving Italian comfort food and Doughnuts?!?  Eater Twin Cities named Mucci’s “Restaurant of the Year” in 2016.  The local “events” e-mag, Citypages named Mucci’s Spaghetti and Meatballs one of the city’s best dishes that same year.  Regardless of the press, they serve some fine looking grub.

Young Joni: Another Tourism Board rec.  Looks like a nice place for hipster pizza.  Not necessarily a bad thing, so check out the menu before dismissing them.

Donatelli's: Recommended by Mr. & Mrs. Bonk, Donatelli’s is of particular interest as part of the possible travel day including Kaffe Stuga and Carol’s.  They’re in far northeast suburban White Bear Lake, which would be more or less on the return route.  Looks like a solid Italian American Pizza-centric menu with other Sandwiches, Burgers, and Salads available.

I’ll let the Bonks expound further on Donatelli’s if they’d like.

LATE ADDITION:
Yarusso Bros. Italian Restaurant: Don't know nuthin' about this place, but local advocate rumaki says it's worth considering.  Looks like a solid Working Man's Red Sauce Italian menu.  They're frequent use of the "D" word (what's the scoop joerogo, is it okay to repeat it if it's on the menu?) tells me this place is either locked in a time warp, or they've got a good sense of humor.  Either way, they're okay by me.   There's definitely an old school vibe and some nice looking grub.

Ice Cream
Sebastian Joe’s: The Twin Cities’ premier premium Ice Cream maker.  We’ve visited a couple of times in the past and really liked it.  They’ve got a regular roster of seven year-round flavors, and a rotating list of hundreds of seasonal choices.  Unfortunately, Spring seems to be underrepresented, but I’ve already sent off an angry letter demanding a few summer flavors get bumped up on the schedule.

OTOH, there are at least a couple of Spring flavors that should make some in our group happy.  It ain’t Sour Cream Raisin, but how about Rum Raisin as a suitable substitute?  And for our Italian food fanatics, Sicilian Coffee looks like a strong possibility.

Minnesota Nice Cream Café: For all the Ice Cream loving vegans in our group, there's MN Nice.  Hard to tell for sure, but this looks like non-dairy soft-serve.  I already know the response this is going to get, but everything goes on the long list. Milkjam Creamery: This looks like Ice Cream for AdultsThe flavors are complex and exotic, along the lines of Jeni’s Ice Cream, and you can get Ice Cream Floats made with Seasonal Beer, Champagne, or a Raspberry Framboise.  Tres Chic, non? 
Conny’s Creamy Cone: This vintage Drive-In may be our best bet for a true old-time Roadfood experience.  In addition to the ambiance and 24 flavors of soft-serve, they’ve got Chili Dogs, Burgers, and for the homesick Wisconsin folks, Cheese Curds.

La Michoacana Purepecha: La Michoacana is a local chain of house-made Mexican Ice Cream shops here in Chicago.  It’s hard to tell if the Minneapolis store is related.  But it looks like they follow the same ethic of making unique flavors in-house, served along with traditional Mexican street snacks.

The Contingent has made a couple of visits to Chicago’s La Michoacana shops and enjoyed them very much.

Izzy’s ice Cream: Another hometown favorite, Izzy’s boasts 145 rotating flavors, 32 of which are available at any given time.  Their basic recipe looks like high quality stuff using hormone free milk imported from Appleton, WI (again, just a note of reassurance for the Wisconsin folks).  Izzy’s St. Paul location looks more Roadfood-y than the Minneapolis store, so that would be my personal pick if they make the final cut.

Lastly for today, a category that is not in my wheelhouse.  There are others in our group who are more finely attuned to the Pastry & Bakery world.  These are my candidates.  Anyone with deeper connections to this realm is welcome suggest other possibilities.

Pastries & Bakeries
Sun Street Breads: Highly recommended by one of our local MSP Roadfooders.  Sun Street makes some outstanding Breads and Pastries, and serves tasty breakfast and lunch entrees, served of course, on the house-made wares.  I’ve got my eye on the Build-A-Biscuit breakfast offering, but the Croissants and Raspberry Cream Scones hold strong potential as well.

Mojo Monkey Donuts: I mean, c’mon, how do you say no to a place called Mojo Monkey Donuts?  Especially when they serve a PB&J Potato Chip Bismark.  Hard to tell too much about them because their website is down, but other sources indicate it’s a fun quirky joint with some unique flavors on the menu.

St. Paul Bagelry: Looking at the menu, if you were a lover of Meshuggah Bagels in Kansas City, you may be disappointed here.  They appear to serve a top-notch Bagel, but don’t have the toppings that were available in KC.  OTOH, they have 15 different Cream Cheese Spreads including Smoked Salmon and Bacon(?!?) & Chive.

Café Latte: This place might be nicer than we deserve.  They offer a full menu of pastries, cakes, and baked goods with a different selection of Breads & Scones every day.  They also have a list of fresh sandwiches served cafeteria style, and pizzas available in their back-room wine bar.  If we really want to get fancy, they serve Afternoon Tea.  Pinkies up everybody!

Key’s Café & Bakery: This acclaimed nine store local chain comes highly recommended by our MSP advocates primarily as a breakfast place, but they have so much more.  Their rotating pastry selection is complimented by a regular set of pies and cakes.  After breakfast, the café serves a full lunch and dinner menu.

Mucci’s: A return listing for Mucci’s in the Pastry section, just to remind you they’re a double threat…Italian food and DOUGHNUTS!

I'm tired.  More next week, including Breakfast, Barbecue, Hot Dogs, and Fried Chicken!

Have a great weekend, keep the comments coming.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/01/19 13:12:57
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 669
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 07:50:59 (permalink)
How could we not go for Italian comfort food and doughnuts!!
Any and all ice cream.  I am intrigued by the Mexican ice cream place.
Bakeries!  Enough said!

Your lists are amazing, by the way!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8886
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 09:15:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/01/19 14:29:13
joerogo
I booked Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport for $101.00 per night.  I'm sure it will be condemned or closed by the time I get there, but, it's booked!

Joe, since it's not too late to cancel your reservation perhaps you'd like to watch this video and find a different place to stay:

rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1466
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 11:09:37 (permalink)
Sun Street's owner (I believe that is her status, but in any event they use her recipes) is Solveig Tofte, who was long associated with Turtle Bread Bakery. Sun Street has many Scandinavian pastries (they rotate).

Did you consider Yarusso Bros. Italian restaurant in St Paul? It is sort of a dive but the food is quite Roadfood-y. They had a fire a few years ago but did reopen and seem to be going strong. It is on Payne Avenue, less than a 10-minute drive from Magnolias.
Disclaimer: I haven't been there since the fire.

Sorry, I can't post links at the moment, but Yarusso's is easily Googled.

The St Paul Izzy's is minutes from where I live, and that is our go-to location. It is tiny, although in nice weather they sometimes have a couple of tables on the sidewalk. It is really a grab and go spot. My favorites are Creamy Coconut, Creme de Menthe, Chocolate Hazelnut and Black Walnut -- all of which are offered only occasionally, so I get email alerts when they are available. Their Salted Caramel is famous, as is 'The Izzy' -- the tiny scoop you get free atop any cone you order.

I am not a fan of Cossetta.  The food is only so-so (in my opinion), and it is a madhouse on weekends. They have a parking lot, but it is often filled to capacity. The market is pretty good, but we generally go elsewhere. Obviously, I am in the minority -- it is very popular.
post edited by rumaki - 2019/01/19 12:02:14
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 11:57:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/01/19 11:59:00
ChiTownDiner, ChiBears15 and the buffetbuster clan are all set at the Hyatt Regency Bloomington....still a safe distance from Joe Rogo a short block away...
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 13:19:27 (permalink)
rumaki
Did you consider Yarusso Bros. Italian restaurant in St Paul? It is sort of a dive but the food is quite Roadfood-y. They had a fire a few years ago but did reopen and seem to be going strong. It is on Payne Avenue, less than a 10-minute drive from Magnolias.
Disclaimer: I haven't been there since the fire.

Yarusso Bros. has been added to the list.

rumaki
I am not a fan of Cossetta.  The food is only so-so (in my opinion), and it is a madhouse on weekends. They have a parking lot, but it is often filled to capacity. The market is pretty good, but we generally go elsewhere. Obviously, I am in the minority -- it is very popular.

Duly noted.  I can't argue with you about the quality of the food; it's good, not great.  But sometimes the Roadfood experience is an equal mix of food and the unique nature of the total experience.  Certainly we've got more than enough Italian options to choose from.  Who knows, our resident experts may determine it isn't necessary to make an Italian stop on this Crawl.  I'm eagerly awaiting their assessment.

Buddy
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 14:32:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/19 16:01:59
I swore an oath to never eat Italian Food West of Pittsburgh........unless it's in Westmont!
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 476
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/19 15:25:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/01/20 12:48:37
joerogo
I swore an oath to never eat Italian Food West of Pittsburgh........unless it's in Westmont!

You are telling me you wouldn't go back to Coco's in Nashville?

Best damn burrata you've ever eaten!
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/20 21:57:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/20 22:29:23
Frambois ice cream float???!!!  If I ever get separated from the group you know where to find me.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5518
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/21 17:17:59 (permalink)
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/21 20:33:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/22 07:38:19
Don’t even think about starting the “Wandering Dago” jokes!!!!
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/21 20:47:14 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Yarusso Bros. Italian Restaurant: Don't know nuthin' about this place, but local advocate rumaki says it's worth considering.  Looks like a solid Working Man's Red Sauce Italian menu.  They're frequent use of the "D" word (what's the scoop joerogo, is it okay to repeat it if it's on the menu?) tells me this place is either locked in a time warp, or they've got a good sense of humor.  Either way, they're okay by me.   There's definitely an old school vibe and some nice looking grub.

Buddy, you grab five people of Italian Heritage and tell them you are taking them to a restaurant that has a sandwich called a "Whatever Dago".....the absolute first response will be...."is it any good?".  Tell them it's on Vienna Bread and the absolute first response will be, "disgraziatta!". 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/22 07:38:40 (permalink)
joerogo
Don’t even think about starting the “Wandering Dago” jokes!!!!

Can I still wear my Tee-Shirt? 
rumaki
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/22 08:06:21 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
https://thetakeout.com/st...ologies-few-1825333299

Just wanted to mention that I used to really love DeGidio's.  It dates to 1933. It is informal, but has a "nicer" atmosphere than Yarusso's. 

However, several years ago the ownership (or at least management) at DeGidio's changed and they deleted some of the dishes we really liked:  fried chicken (counterintuitive, perhaps, but it really was some of the best in the Twin Cities at the time) and an appetizer-sized pizza that only came with one set of ingredients but which was absolutely delicious.  But they were eliminated from the menu.  The portions are still large for the pasta and other red-sauce dishes, but for us, the place just isn't as appealing as it used to be.  It remains quite popular, especially on weekend evenings, though I went there a few years ago with some out-of-town visitors at Saturday lunchtime and it wasn't crowded.  The service varies from excellent to indifferent.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12442
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/22 09:26:25 (permalink)
rumaki-
What an incredible source of information you have been in planning this Crawl.  Thank you for chiming in with your insight.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 940
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/22 21:37:32 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Donatelli's: Recommended by Mr. & Mrs. Bonk, Donatelli’s is of particular interest as part of the possible travel day including Kaffe Stuga and Carol’s.  They’re in far northeast suburban White Bear Lake, which would be more or less on the return route.  Looks like a solid Italian American Pizza-centric menu with other Sandwiches, Burgers, and Salads available.

I’ll let the Bonks expound further on Donatelli’s if they’d like.

We went about six years ago and I loved the pizza.

What I remember most was that I was surprised it was uniformly cooked because of how thick it was.

We got a large and it was like $25 but I was still eating it two days after we got home. It would probably feed six hungry Roadfooders.

It was a Guy Fieri stop circa 2011. 

https://www.dinersdrivein...atellis-minnesota.html

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 11:46:28 (permalink)
Is it time to look at our roster yet?

Based on thread comments, here's what I have (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and I'll update):

IN
The Bonks
The Roadfoods
The Buffetbusters
The Wanderingjews
The Abe Froemans
The ChiTownBears
Rumaki
Joerogo
CNW
Schlotz (through Friday)
Rumaki (part-time)
Ahi Mpls (part-time)
(18)

MAYBE
The Nagles
The Meltons
JRPJeff
Will Work For BBQ
DavyDD
Sundancer7 + 1
Cousin Johnny
(10)

post edited by Bonk - 2019/01/27 12:48:57
rumaki
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 11:56:18 (permalink)
Just to clarify:  the irony of living here means that to some extent, I'll be less available than those traveling for the event. 

I will be out of town for a speaking engagement April 22-24.  I teach at the University of Minnesota, and my department is having a big annual event on the evening of Thursday, April 25 which I must attend.  I will be tied up during the day on Friday, April 26 with administrative and teaching duties.  In all likelihood, the earliest I can participate in the Crawl will be on Saturday, but that also depends on the timing and location of Friday night events.

Don't concern yourself with my schedule as you make your plans; I'll fit in where and when I can. 

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 15:13:04 (permalink)
I think you can move abe_froeman and husband Mr. Maki into the "IN" column.  The Meltons can be considered a "MAYBE".

You might want to add a "PART TIME" category for rumaki and also Ahi Mpls.  Or just add them to the "MAYBE" list.

Finishing up the next set of summaries for your consideration.  Should have it ready later today.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 15:44:21 (permalink)
Thank You for not listing ChiBears 15 and me as The ChiTownDiners.  

I believe Cousin Johnny is coming.

Also under Part Time - Davydd? 

Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 16:44:11 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

and here I thought that you two were father and son!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 17:01:03 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

and here I thought that you two were father and son!

Father and Son of a....
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 18:47:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/01/23 20:50:42
The ChiTownBears?
schlotz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 19:43:55 (permalink)
I will be there thru Friday...heading back Saturday morning....
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 20:38:03 (permalink)
Bonk
The ChiTownBears?

Unhelpful!  
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2019/01/23 21:11:47 (permalink)
I intend to be there. Right now, I am one of those Federal employees that has the privilege of working for free with the promise of future compensation. If the shutdown goes on much longer, I will have to start looking for other permanent employment.

See you in April!

Chris
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 24 of 26
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5