Helpful ReplyHot!Minneapolis / St. Paul Crawl: April 25th to 28th, 2019

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 20
Author
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10540
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 15:47:23 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I read recently that Minnesota is offering an Historical License Plate honoring the long gone Hotdish.

Long gone? It's everywhere. We just had it in September- and I wasn't even looking for it...We just walked into a restaurant...and there it was....

I think you've mistaken it for the  NY historical license plate memorializing the long gone Jewish deli.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 940
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 16:15:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/06/04 16:38:49
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
I read recently that Minnesota is offering an Historical License Plate honoring the long gone Hotdish.

Long gone? It's everywhere. We just had it in September- and I wasn't even looking for it...We just walked into a restaurant...and there it was....

I think you've mistaken it for the  NY historical license plate memorializing the long gone Jewish deli.

Yeah, I had it at Tavern on Grand when I was there.

I told Buddy we should not go there if MPL gets picked.  Their walleye was good.  Everything else was like nursing home food.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6283
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 16:16:01 (permalink)
Split decision in the Roadhouse camp; Mrs. R votes for Mpls/StP, me for Cleveland.

With that business out of the way, let me address some of the above comments:

JRPfeff
Cleveland's "LOSER" reputation will not go away.

Loser my foot!  With 12 votes cast so far, Cleveland is ahead, seven votes to five.

wanderingjew
Minneapolis (as long as I get to arrange one "traditional" "old school" "iconic" meal)

Yup, the Swedes were the first Europeans to settle Minnesota in quantity, and their national dishes and culture reigned supreme for a long time.  But now things are changing and there's a new regional appropriation going on.  Somalis and the Hmong are changing the culinary landscape in the Twin Cities and elsewhere.

That said, no one (including Davydd) has ever questioned or denied the importance or historical significance of the once predominant Swedish/Nordic cuisine in that area.  With that in mind, not only will you be allowed to arrange a '"traditional" "old school" "iconic" meal' (Dude, you need to attend a few meetings of Quotation Mark Abusers Anonymous), it will be insisted upon by the organizers.  In fact, with roughly 18 food stops to plan over three days, plus Sunday brunch, your participation will almost be required.

Actually, that will be true no matter which city wins.

abe_froeman
Minneapolis isn't official yet, is it?

If this will sway some votes, this was Al's Breakfast's Facebook post yesterday:

Did you know that you can have a private party at Al’s Breakfast? After we close on the weekends, or before we open on Sunday, you can bring in a counter of people and have the place all to yourselves. $150 + food and gratuity! Message for a reservation and more details.

This does sound very cool!  However, in all likelihood, it will still be available in 2020.  That may not be true of one of Cleveland's most iconic restaurants.  The long term future of Roadfood favorite Sokolowski's University Inn is in question.  As I said in my Cleveland overview, one of the Sokolowski siblings is considering retirement, leaving the status of the restaurant unclear.  Sokolowski's absolutely deserves to be on one of those "Places You Need To Go Before It's Too Late" lists.  And the fact of the matter is "Too Late" may be coming sooner than we think.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 16:23:52 (permalink)
abe_froeman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

I told Buddy we should not go there if MPL gets picked.  Their walleye was good.  Everything else was like nursing home food.

Uh-oh, now you've gone and poked the Rhode Island bear a little too hard.  Let me just be clear, I did not plant that seed in my child's head.  That is her objective opinion, formed on her own, based on personal experience.

And to be clear, I once loved Tavern on Grand, but felt the quality had gone down during our later visits.  OTOH, it is an iconic Roadfood stop and deserves to be given another chance.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5470
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 16:44:59 (permalink)
abe_froeman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

abe,

Not a problem  There will be a side-tour to traditional Hmong and Somali restaurants for those that prefer flavor over geriatric delites.

Also, kindly let your Dad know that the German's got there second. The Sioux were first.

jrp
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 17:01:44 (permalink)
Read carefully Mr. Smarty Pants; I specifically said the Swedes were the first European settlers.  I'm well aware of the aboriginal Americans who roamed that land long before us white folks pushed them aside.

This is actually one of my fundamental problems with the absolutism of "regional appropriateness".  If we're going to ignore the influx of new immigrants and insist that what was there before is the only thing that matters, then we need to go back a couple hundred years when the Swedes were the Somalis and Hmong of their time, wiping out the cultures of the first nations tribes.

In other words, if you go back far enough, fry bread and boiled buffalo meat are more regionally appropriate to Minnesota than hot dish and lutefisk.  Where would you even find a Tater Tot (or a Pyrex baking dish for that matter) when the first Europeans settled there?

Buddy
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 17:04:54 (permalink)
JRPfeff
abe_froeman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

abe,

Not a problem  There will be a side-tour to traditional Hmong and Somali restaurants for those that prefer flavor over geriatric delites.

Also, kindly let your Dad know that the German's got there second. The Sioux were first.

jrp

Oh- I can arrange a tour here in Rhode Island- with plenty of Hmong and Guatamalen restaurants-in fact we have the largest Dominican population-in the country We'll leave the pizza strips to the nursing home residents, the whole belly clams to the touristas and the coffee milk to the toddlers
post edited by wanderingjew - 2018/06/04 17:14:47
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5470
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 17:14:41 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Read carefully Mr. Smarty Pants; I specifically said the Swedes were the first European settlers.  I'm well aware of the aboriginal Americans who roamed that land long before us white folks pushed them aside.

This is actually one of my fundamental problems with the absolutism of "regional appropriateness".  If we're going to ignore the influx of new immigrants and insist that what was there before is the only thing that matters, then we need to go back a couple hundred years when the Swedes were the Somalis and Hmong of their time, wiping out the cultures of the first nations tribes.

In other words, if you go back far enough, fry bread and boiled buffalo meat are more regionally appropriate to Minnesota than hot dish and lutefisk.  Where would you even find a Tater Tot (or a Pyrex baking dish for that matter) when the first Europeans settled there?

Buddy

Thank you Mr. Reading Comprehension.

The German's got to Minnesota first and remarkably "There are more people of German ancestry in Minnesota than of any other ethnic background (38.6 percent, to be exact)."

So Swedish and Norwegian food will be 2nd and 3rd in line after our German restaurant stops.

jrp
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 17:15:44 (permalink)
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

The German's got to Minnesota first and remarkably "There are more people of German ancestry in Minnesota than of any other ethnic background (38.6 percent, to be exact)."

So Swedish and Norwegian food will be 2nd and 3rd in line after our German restaurant stops.

jrp

I wouldn't mind kicking down a brat or two.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 17:50:21 (permalink)
Maybe at Karmarczuk's Polish Deli

JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

jrp

Okay, okay, I thought you were correcting what you perceived as my missing the Sioux as the first settlers, when in fact you were pointing out that the Germans were there before the Swedes.  My error.

Back to voting between Cleveland and Somalitown.

Buddy
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 18:09:49 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Yup, the Swedes were the first Europeans to settle Minnesota in quantity, and their national dishes and culture reigned supreme for a long time.  But now things are changing and there's a new regional appropriation going on.  Somalis and the Hmong are changing the culinary landscape in the Twin Cities and elsewhere.

That said, no one (including Davydd) has ever questioned or denied the importance or historical significance of the once predominant Swedish/Nordic cuisine in that area.  With that in mind, not only will you be allowed to arrange a '"traditional" "old school" "iconic" meal' (Dude, you need to attend a few meetings of Quotation Mark Abusers Anonymous), it will be insisted upon by the organizers.  In fact, with roughly 18 food stops to plan over three days, plus Sunday brunch, your participation will almost be required

Back in 2010 I visited a really cool old school cafe called Kaffe Stuga in Harris MN- about 45 minutes north of the twin cities- I had probably some of the best wild rice soup there. They also have occasional tater tot hotdish, swedish meatball and swedish potato sausage specials there too. For those who don't know, Kaffe Stuga was the inspiration for Upton 43- which offered a hipsterish twist on Scandinavian food,. Upton 43 was mentioned a few times here on Roadfood- I'm not sure if they're still open.  If the Twin Cities is chosen, then I can inquire with Kaffe Stuga if they might be willing to prepare some of their specialties for a couple of dozen hungry roadfooders
Here is a photo of their wild rice soup

BuddyRoadhouse
This does sound very cool!  However, in all likelihood, it will still be available in 2020.  That may not be true of one of Cleveland's most iconic restaurants.  The long term future of Roadfood favorite Sokolowski's University Inn is in question.  As I said in my Cleveland overview, one of the Sokolowski siblings is considering retirement, leaving the status of the restaurant unclear.  Sokolowski's absolutely deserves to be on one of those "Places You Need To Go Before It's Too Late" lists.  And the fact of the matter is "Too Late" may be coming sooner than we think.

Buddy

As painful as it would be to accept the potential demise of  Sokolowskis it would soften the blow if they wait till after September 21st  because that's when Sandra and I plan to visit when we embark on our cross country trip to New Mexico 
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

And to be clear, I once loved Tavern on Grand, but felt the quality had gone down during our later visits.  OTOH, it is an iconic Roadfood stop and deserves to be given another chance.

Buddy

Sandra and I visited Tavern on Grand this past September and loved it- in fact it was one of Sandra's favorite meals of 2017 and as far as I'm concerned the quaility did not waiver in any way whatsoever. Per the advice of buffetbuster we did not get the tatertot hodish-he said it was too dry (only to not really enjoy the too gloppy tater tot hotdish at Randy's in Red Wing) 

I thought I uploaded my photos from Tavern on Grand onto flickr- I guess I didn't- maybe I'll do so later.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2018/06/04 18:12:32
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 18:48:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/06/04 21:15:48
I vote Cleveland.

And in the same spirit as last year, because the voting is so close, I vote the loser of this race for the 2020 crawl.
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 18:53:59 (permalink)
As much as I dislike agreeing with the hubby sometimes, I have to go with Cleveland as well.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22947
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 19:04:06 (permalink)
wanderingjew
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

jrp

Ah, so you hate children.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 19:08:23 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

jrp

I walked right into that one!

I remember  back in 2011 when I was getting ready to visit Cleveland- I was telling my friend/coworker that I was really looking forward to trying a polish boy- his response was priceless!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 20:28:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/06/05 07:22:12
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

jrp

I walked right into that one!

I remember  back in 2011 when I was getting ready to visit Cleveland- I was telling my friend/coworker that I was really looking forward to trying a polish boy- his response was priceless!

Clearly you've made big changes since that time.
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 21:16:35 (permalink)
Bonk
I vote Cleveland.

And in the same spirit as last year, because the voting is so close, I vote the loser of this race for the 2020 crawl.

Does that mean we can skip the $@&$?! Doodle Poll next year?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 21:33:00 (permalink)
nagle
Bonk
I vote Cleveland.

Does that mean we can skip the $@&$?! Doodle Poll next year?

I thought the Doodle Poll was your pride and joy.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 813
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/04 21:37:55 (permalink)
Bonk
I vote Cleveland.

But that would mean going to a loser every year.....
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5632
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 00:11:54 (permalink)
chickenplucker
Bonk
I vote Cleveland.

But that would mean going to a loser every year.....

Wise words and pearls of wisdom.
:)
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 956
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 00:34:53 (permalink)
I would propose that we go south in 2020, since we’re going north in 2019. I vote for Augusta.....or Savannah or Charleston. I also vote for a doodle poll.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 01:15:18 (permalink)
How about we finish the vote for next year before we worry about 2020?  There are still eight people from the Doodle Poll who haven't voted yet.  Cleveland leads 9-5.

BTW, even if you didn't vote in the poll, and you're planning to attend next year's Crawl, feel free to cast a vote for one of the two finalists.

Buddy
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2916
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 02:28:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew
JRPfeff
abe_froeman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

abe,

jrp

Oh- I can arrange a tour here in Rhode Island- with plenty of Hmong and Guatamalen restaurants-in fact we have the largest Dominican population-in the country We'll leave the pizza strips to the nursing home residents, the whole belly clams to the touristas and the coffee milk to the toddlers

So, does my affinity for all three of the above items make me some odd combination tourista-toddler-nursing home resident?  I feel like I'm having an identity crisis!!
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 02:30:47 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
How about we finish the vote for next year before we worry about 2020?  There are still eight people from the Doodle Poll who haven't voted yet.  Cleveland leads 9-5.

BTW, even if you didn't vote in the poll, and you're planning to attend next year's Crawl, feel free to cast a vote for one of the two finalists.

Buddy

Buddy, is this voting for the two finalists? If so, I'll cast my lot in with Cleveland.  I've always wanted to visit the Christmas Story House, the Westside Market and I have a friend who lives in Cleveland that I'd like to visit.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 02:46:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/06/05 07:25:11
BuddyRoadhouse
Split decision in the Roadhouse camp; Mrs. R votes for Mpls/StP, me for Cleveland.

With that business out of the way, let me address some of the above comments:

JRPfeff
Cleveland's "LOSER" reputation will not go away.

Loser my foot!  With 12 votes cast so far, Cleveland is ahead, seven votes to five.

wanderingjew
Minneapolis (as long as I get to arrange one "traditional" "old school" "iconic" meal)

That said, no one (including Davydd) has ever questioned or denied the importance or historical significance of the once predominant Swedish/Nordic cuisine in that area.  With that in mind, not only will you be allowed to arrange a '"traditional" "old school" "iconic" meal' (Dude, you need to attend a few meetings of Quotation Mark Abusers Anonymous), it will be insisted upon by the organizers.  In fact, with roughly 18 food stops to plan over three days, plus Sunday brunch, your participation will almost be required.

Actually, that will be true no matter which city wins.

abe_froeman
Minneapolis isn't official yet, is it?

If this will sway some votes, this was Al's Breakfast's Facebook post yesterday:

Did you know that you can have a private party at Al’s Breakfast? After we close on the weekends, or before we open on Sunday, you can bring in a counter of people and have the place all to yourselves. $150 + food and gratuity! Message for a reservation and more details.

Buddy

Love Quotation Mark Abusers Anonymous!  Perhaps Ross Geller could give WJ some pointers about appropriate use as he did for Joey Tribbiani! 

post edited by billyboy - 2018/06/05 03:15:59
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 03:11:16 (permalink)
billyboy
Buddy, is this voting for the two finalists? If so, I'll cast my lot in with Cleveland.  I've always wanted to visit the Christmas Story House, the Westside Market and I have a friend who lives in Cleveland that I'd like to visit.

This is it.  The original plan was to gradually narrow down the field, but the voting was so lopsided in favor of Cleveland and the Twin Cities it didn't make sense to needlessly prolong the process.  Consider your vote counted toward Cleveland.

Once we've chosen a city, we'll float a few weekends in late April/early May, 2019.  Then we'll call the chosen city's chamber of commerce and get an idea of which weekend will offer us the least resistance.  We ran into issues in Nashville because they were running a marathon when we were there.  The goal is to avoid those conflicts next year.

Buddy
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10361
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 06:08:10 (permalink)
If I can go, I vote for Cleveland.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5223
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 06:50:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/05 07:05:23
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

As JFK said.....wait till the Chicago vote comes in!!!!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 07:24:55 (permalink)
billyboy
wanderingjew
JRPfeff
abe_froeman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

abe,

jrp

So, does my affinity for all three of the above items make me some odd combination tourista-toddler-nursing home resident?  I feel like I'm having an identity crisis!!

Well you are a kid at heart- but no...just a tourista  :)
Now that I've been here long enough and could be considered a typical Rhode Islander we went out to dinner Saturday and Sunday evening. I had pulled pork nachos on Saturday evening and Moo Goo Gai Pan, Sunday evening.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/05 08:08:02 (permalink)
MSP 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 20
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5