Helpful ReplyHot!Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9957
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 21:32:07 (permalink)
leethebard
Michael Hoffman
WJ,
I do my best to avoid places where you can't get a decent cup of coffee instead of the stuff they serve at places like Starbucks and the sort of places you like, but when I have gone into a couple of Starbucks the places were filled with what you've described as millenials. And each time they've all either been using laptops or tablets or talking with others who are using their laptops or tablets. Oh, and did I mention cell phones? Those, too.

wanderingjew
Twinwillow
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho
Twinwillow
The only restaurants where we see "working class" seniors, are at one of the few Cafeterias still open in Dallas.
Thankfully, "Millennial's" are noticeably absent.

I have a question , I am 44 married with family , Blue Collar  working class , What am I and what is a millennial? serious question.
Oh ! I am very much a roadfooder.

You're Generation X like I am . In between the baby boomers and the Millenials.
Baby Boomers were born between 45- 64
Gen X'ers between 65-79
Millennials  after 1980

You can always recognize the millennials. They usually live at home with mom and dad, have beards, are ALWAYS on their "smart" phones and, coveys of them hang out at Starbucks. While on their "smart" phones and laptops, of course.

Millenials at Starbucks?? I'd like to see that.  The folks I see at Starbucks tend to be either middle aged or the 65 and older set who think they're hip.
Millenials won't even step into an independent drip shop. Pour over only please.

***edit***

And does a milllenial even know what a laptop is???  Ipad's and I phones only.

Not really true, my friend, My young son, a millenial,not only uses a lap top,he builds them. A computer engineer,most of his friends at Princeton, all use Laptops. Remember college students today usually have to use laptops.Oh, and we've shared coffee at Starbucks. I always see a mixed age crowd there. Overpriced, and average in taste, but all ages.

Interesting, I know college kids that do their entire reports on their smart phones but the college kids actually are on the cusp of a newer generation than the millenials.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 23:14:42 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
WJ,
I do my best to avoid places where you can't get a decent cup of coffee instead of the stuff they serve at places like Starbucks and the sort of places you like, but when I have gone into a couple of Starbucks the places were filled with what you've described as millenials. And each time they've all either been using laptops or tablets or talking with others who are using their laptops or tablets. Oh, and did I mention cell phones? Those, too.

Not sure which Starbucks you are going to because the ones I walk by are always filled with people my age or older.

I don't drink coffee, but I see the coffee cups people bring to the office.  I can't speak for RI, as I have not lived there recently.  But in VA, and more recently in FL, it seems to be mostly younger people with Starbucks cups.  The older crowd seems to have more McD's and Dunkin' Donuts cups.   RI has always walked to a different drummer, so it is not surprising that Starbucks gets the opposite crowd there.  

Glenn

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 08:13:14 (permalink)
Glenn1234
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
WJ,

Not sure which Starbucks you are going to because the ones I walk by are always filled with people my age or older.

I don't drink coffee, but I see the coffee cups people bring to the office.  I can't speak for RI, as I have not lived there recently.  But in VA, and more recently in FL, it seems to be mostly younger people with Starbucks cups.  The older crowd seems to have more McD's and Dunkin' Donuts cups.   RI has always walked to a different drummer, so it is not surprising that Starbucks gets the opposite crowd there.  

Glenn

it's not only RI, it's Connecticut, New York and New Jersey too.

My friends, and especially their wives love going to Starbucks and they (whether they want to hear it or not) are solidly grounded in  middle age. If the millenials are going to Starbucks then who is going to the independent pourover coffee houses? I can assure you that those who are going, would never be caught dead in a Starbucks because that's where there parents (and grandparents) go.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 08:54:47 (permalink)
You go to what is convenient regardless of age. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 09:17:06 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

You're the perfect example- you go to Starbucks and you're....eligible for social security...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 09:47:15 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

You're the perfect example- you go to Starbucks and you're....eligible for social security...

I do go to Starbucks as long as it is nearby.  Otherwise, I go to indies as well as Panara, McD's or the bagel joints.  Not a Dunkin fan so I will drive by to something else from above.  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22474
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 12:14:51 (permalink)
OK. What the hell is a pourover coffee house?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 13:08:12 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

We've gone over that before

Drip coffee houses and pour over coffee houses are Apples and Oranges.
Those that go to pourover coffee houses laugh at "the old people" who go to drip coffee houses and usually will make such comments as "I didn't think there were any left? didn't that go out with the 90's?"

It would be like lumping Pepe's and Chicago Deep Dish in the same Category..and saying "they're the same"
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 13:13:29 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Michael, it's a place where they do not use coffee machines. They use pour over filters and let the coffee drip into a carafe or cup. Fancy schmancy.
http://www.seriouseats.co...emperature-timing.html

post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2017/05/19 13:14:30
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 13:16:15 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Michael Hoffman

Michael, it's a place where they do not use coffee machines. They use pour over filters and let the coffee drip into a carafe or cup. Fancy schmancy.
http://www.seriouseats.co...emperature-timing.html

MH knows what it is, it's been explained to him several times before.

The coffee houses themselves are different too
The décor/atmosphere/attitude at 2nd wave drip coffee houses and 3rd wave pourover coffee houses are worlds apart
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 14:11:05 (permalink)
I'm writing a book...Drip Lovers are from Mars and Pour Over Lovers from Venus.....hoping to make enough to retire.....
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 14:13:31 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I'm writing a book...Drip Lovers are from Mars and Pour Over Lovers from Venus.....hoping to make enough to retire.....

I think it's the other way around ...

Then again....Pepe's, Giordano's....Pizza Hut...it's all the same ....Pizza is Pizza
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5647
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 15:43:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/05/19 15:53:25
Yeah, just like Shake Shack, 5 guys, In-N-Out, and McDonalds are all just burgers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22474
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 15:44:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/05/19 15:53:34
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

We've gone over that before

Drip coffee houses and pour over coffee houses are Apples and Oranges.
Those that go to pourover coffee houses laugh at "the old people" who go to drip coffee houses and usually will make such comments as "I didn't think there were any left? didn't that go out with the 90's?"

It would be like lumping Pepe's and Chicago Deep Dish in the same Category..and saying "they're the same"

I don't recall. Must be age. So, Mr. Coffee and Bunn are out. But then again, the water in those things is being poured over the coffee. Maybe I'd better go back to one of my percolators.. Oh, but wait. The water in a percolator is being poured -- so to speak -- over the coffee. Skip it. I'll have a Martini -- hold the Vermouth.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5647
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 15:50:46 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
 Skip it. I'll have a Martini -- hold the Vermouth.

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 619
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 16:06:05 (permalink)
Twinwillow
Michael Hoffman
 Skip it. I'll have a Martini -- hold the Vermouth.

Make mine a double-Gin, 3 olives please?
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/19 23:29:33 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

As a non-coffee drinker, I was wondering the same thing.  I see that it is answered below.   Sounds too complicated and stressful going to coffee shops, getting made fun of by millennial hipsters and all.      Just poke fun back at them and ask why the hell they are wearing winter hats when it's 80 degrees out.    Maybe hand them a pair of mittens to make sure they are warm enough.  

Glenn

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5