Helpful ReplyHot!Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1765
2017/05/16 09:21:49 (permalink)

Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains

https://www.bloomberg.com...-big-restaurant-chains
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9960
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/16 09:53:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2017/05/16 19:01:14
Yes they are, and although what's being served is clearly superior, unfortunately "sameness" still prevails
Now I can go all over the country and order "farm to table"  chicken and waffles, shrimp and grits pulled pork mac n cheese, siracha this and siracha that, pork belly, kale, quinoa, grown up grilled cheese and sliders at  just about every single mom n pop restaurant in the country
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4795
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/16 10:29:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/16 11:52:50
Our work is done here. I can now return to Applebees without a guilty conscious. 😉
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/16 12:33:39 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Our work is done here. I can now return to Applebees without a guilty conscious. 😉

And I'll continue going to those old, tired, outdated restaurants that all the hipsters on Yelp complain about. (and that includes Katz's in NYC)
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4795
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/16 12:41:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/05/16 12:46:38
Save me a place at your table.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 626
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/16 13:16:14 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Yes they are, and although what's being served is clearly superior, unfortunately "sameness" still prevails
Now I can go all over the country and order "farm to table"  chicken and waffles, shrimp and grits pulled pork mac n cheese, siracha this and siracha that, pork belly, kale, quinoa, grown up grilled cheese and sliders at  just about every single mom n pop restaurant in the country

Which I adore the Supper Clubs around here...Same solid menu...Fish fry Friday/Prime Rib Saturday/Chicken Sunday...+ solid steaks and seafood at all times. The Hot Bacon Dressing in a cauldron is a bonus. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/16 21:08:20 (permalink)
Wintahaba
wanderingjew

Which I adore the Supper Clubs around here...Same solid menu...Fish fry Friday/Prime Rib Saturday/Chicken Sunday...+ solid steaks and seafood at all times. The Hot Bacon Dressing in a cauldron is a bonus. 

And those Supper Clubs have atmosphere. When I walk into one, I know I'm somewhere in the Central or Northern Midwest, most likely either Southern Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa.   
Recently, I don't know why but  I was thinking about a now defunct Milwaukee area mini chain, called Heinemann's. I think it was also in one of the old Roadfood books. When I first visited the Wauwatosa location back in 98, the atmosphere "screamed" southeastern Wisconsin. I can't pinpoint why but it did.
I encourage local restaurants regardless of what they are, but you walk into many of the new "mom n pop" hipster restaurants  nowadays and it doesn't matter what part of the country you're in,. but they all look the same, even the styles of the menus and the menu wordings are almost identical.
In a lot of ways, nearly a generation of the "the webs" has been more of a curse than a blessing.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10289
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/17 15:57:57 (permalink)
Loved Heinemans...grew up with them. They served an original club sandwich-turkey, bacon, lettuce and tomato. NO ham...
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5647
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/17 19:55:05 (permalink)
I would love to see these Supper Clubs here in Dallas. However, I'm afraid we don't have the right demographic needed for them to flourish.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 626
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 08:05:50 (permalink)
Twinwillow
I would love to see these Supper Clubs here in Dallas. However, I'm afraid we don't have the right demographic needed for them to flourish.

What I also noticed when I first moved here, Supper Clubs are generational and territorial driven. It's a pretty cool thing...Great grandparents went...and then it goes down the line. They will try others, but the one they frequent is the "Best".
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 09:15:30 (permalink)
The only restaurants where we see "working class" seniors, are at one of the few Cafeterias still open in Dallas.
Thankfully, "Millennial's" are noticeably absent.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 411
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 10:06:55 (permalink)
Twinwillow
The only restaurants where we see "working class" seniors, are at one of the few Cafeterias still open in Dallas.

I have a question , I am 44 married with family , Blue Collar  working class , What am I and what is a millennial? serious question.
Oh ! I am very much a roadfooder.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 10:23:20 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho
Twinwillow

I have a question , I am 44 married with family , Blue Collar  working class , What am I and what is a millennial? serious question.

You're Generation X like I am . In between the baby boomers and the Millenials.
Baby Boomers were born between 45- 64
Gen X'ers between 65-79
Millennials  after 1980
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 10:28:58 (permalink)
Cool , Thanks
Karl
I didn't know if I had to get a shot of something.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 12:26:40 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho
Twinwillow

Gen X'ers between 65-79
Millennials  after 1980

I was born in May '66, and Janet in January '65.  I love telling her that if she was just a month older,  then I would be married to a woman who is a generation older than I am!  .... I usually only need to spend a week or two in the doghouse after that!  

Glenn

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 12:37:27 (permalink)
Then of course you have the log cabin generation which our friend Michael Hoffman belongs to 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22481
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 13:06:20 (permalink)
wanderingjew
JRPfeff

And I'll continue going to those old, tired, outdated restaurants that all the hipsters on Yelp complain about. (and that includes Katz's in NYC)

Hey, I'd love to know the New Haven restaurants blasted "inappropriately" on YELP by the now suspended Dean of Yale's Pierson College. She sounds like one of those hipsters.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 13:08:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Then of course you have the log cabin generation which our friend Michael Hoffman belongs to 

Wrong generation. I'm a member of the cave generation. You should see drawings.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 15:26:14 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho
Twinwillow

Gen X'ers between 65-79
Millennials  after 1980

You can always recognize the millennials. They usually live at home with mom and dad, have beards, are ALWAYS on their "smart" phones and, coveys of them hang out at Starbucks. While on their "smart" phones and laptops, of course.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2553
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 16:27:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2017/05/18 18:28:05
The good independent hotels/motels are beating out the chains too. When I was in the travel biz, brand names were the safe bet, but now with all of the on line reviews, a good place can stand out.

In my day, it was "smart" to meet the minimum standards of your franchise........because you got to use a reputation earned by others. Today, the smart money builds their OWN reputation, and saves the franchise costs.

Sites like this allow a consumer to find a good place to eat, in a strange place, without the need for a chain "recommendation".
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 16:38:17 (permalink)
Twinwillow
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho
Twinwillow

Gen X'ers between 65-79
Millennials  after 1980

You can always recognize the millennials. They usually live at home with mom and dad, have beards, are ALWAYS on their "smart" phones and, coveys of them hang out at Starbucks. While on their "smart" phones and laptops, of course.

Millenials at Starbucks?? I'd like to see that.  The folks I see at Starbucks tend to be either middle aged or the 65 and older set who think they're hip.
Millenials won't even step into an independent drip shop. Pour over only please.

***edit***

And does a milllenial even know what a laptop is???  Ipad's and I phones only.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/05/18 16:50:03
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 17:13:31 (permalink)
WJ,
I do my best to avoid places where you can't get a decent cup of coffee instead of the stuff they serve at places like Starbucks and the sort of places you like, but when I have gone into a couple of Starbucks the places were filled with what you've described as millenials. And each time they've all either been using laptops or tablets or talking with others who are using their laptops or tablets. Oh, and did I mention cell phones? Those, too.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 17:27:10 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
WJ,
I do my best to avoid places where you can't get a decent cup of coffee instead of the stuff they serve at places like Starbucks and the sort of places you like, but when I have gone into a couple of Starbucks the places were filled with what you've described as millenials. And each time they've all either been using laptops or tablets or talking with others who are using their laptops or tablets. Oh, and did I mention cell phones? Those, too.

Not sure which Starbucks you are going to because the ones I walk by are always filled with people my age or older.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 17:55:23 (permalink)
http://www.coffeecrossing.com/index.html

This is where I go locally. We have a Starbucks at Bass Pro Shop.
I take my nephew here and I leave with the shakes.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 18:36:10 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho
http://www.coffeecrossing.com/index.html

This is where I go locally. We have a Starbucks at Bass Pro Shop.
I take my nephew here and I leave with the shakes.

Coffee Crossing looks really cool- and local too- can't ask for anything better than that.

One of my homes away from home for nearly 14 years is here....And it's less than a 10 minute walk from my condo
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 19:42:55 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
WJ,

Not sure which Starbucks you are going to because the ones I walk by are always filled with people my age or older.

Well, locally there's one at Easton Town Center in Columbus and another in New Albany, just up the road from Gahanna. And then there's the one in Beaver, Pennsylvania. And I just got off the phone with my grandson in Scottsdale who is a manager at a Starbucks there, and he says that's the way it is at his store.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8668
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 20:46:53 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
WJ,

wanderingjew
Twinwillow
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho
Twinwillow

Gen X'ers between 65-79
Millennials  after 1980

Millenials at Starbucks?? I'd like to see that.  The folks I see at Starbucks tend to be either middle aged or the 65 and older set who think they're hip.
Millenials won't even step into an independent drip shop. Pour over only please.

***edit***

And does a milllenial even know what a laptop is???  Ipad's and I phones only.

Not really true, my friend, My young son, a millenial,not only uses a lap top,he builds them. A computer engineer,most of his friends at Princeton, all use Laptops. Remember college students today usually have to use laptops.Oh, and we've shared coffee at Starbucks. I always see a mixed age crowd there. Overpriced, and average in taste, but all ages.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 21:20:43 (permalink)
wanderingjew

If I (very rarely) go to Starbucks, I'm usually the oldest human there.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 21:26:34 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
WJ,

Well, locally there's one at Easton Town Center in Columbus and another in New Albany, just up the road from Gahanna. And then there's the one in Beaver, Pennsylvania. And I just got off the phone with my grandson in Scottsdale who is a manager at a Starbucks there, and he says that's the way it is at his store.

I don't know, I've been made fun of by millenials for going to local drip coffee houses, they actually lump them together with Starbucks and refer to the "old people" that go there. I remember several times going to a pourover coffee house they charge about $4 for a 12-16 oz cup- no such thing as discounted or free refills. When I asked if they have drip coffee, their reply is always "Starbucks is down the street" as if there is no such animal as an independent drip coffee house. Our own Ayersian (Amy) even thought at one point  that local drip coffee houses no longer existed, only pourover.

Same thing with old school roadfood- you can take Katz's, Durgin Park, Hollyhock hill, or Moose's Cafe in Asheville and to millenials, all these restaurants are dumped into the same category  "restaurants for old people"
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Mom-and-Pop Joints Are Trouncing America's Big Restaurant Chains 2017/05/18 21:29:32 (permalink)
Twinwillow
wanderingjew

If I (very rarely) go to Starbucks, I'm usually the oldest human there.

Now that I think of it, the ones at the malls seem to have people of all ages, but  at the standalones and the strip malls  always seem to have an older crowd. I usually walk by one in town when I take my daily walks, I'll take a good look the next time I walk by there.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5