Helpful ReplyHot!Most Iconic Sandwiches In 50 States

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22951
Re: Most Iconic Sandwiches In 50 States 2018/09/24 21:01:43 (permalink)

BayouCityNosh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Most Iconic Sandwiches In 50 States 2018/09/27 02:09:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/09/27 08:49:36
We eat a lot of CFS down here in Texas, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've been trying to think if I've ever encountered it offered as a sandwich and I can't remember one.  The choices usually involve a decision about how much of it you want to lop over the edge of the plate or whether you want steak fingers.  I guess they do things a little differently up there.

I have seen, and tried, fried pork chop sandwiches, at soul food or Cajun places, often bone-in.

I would have picked the El Reno Onion Burger for Oklahoma.

And would have picked the New Orleans Po-boy over the Muff.  There are a lot of choices for Muffs here but are they really that well known/available outside of a limited area of the South?

Sad to say, the Chopped Beef BBQ sandwich is probably a good choice for Texas.   I think it's the worst way to experience Texas BBQ but everybody serves 'em, unless they just don't do sandwiches at a particular joint.

Weekends and sometimes weekday evenings, the sight of people towing pits around behind SUVs or pickups, pulling into the parking lot of a grocery store, Best Buy, Academy Sports and Outdoors, etc., for just a few minutes, is very common.  They may offer links or even plates but overwhelmingly what people go for is the chopped beef sandwich, slathered in sauce.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/09/27 02:11:25
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5636
Re: Most Iconic Sandwiches In 50 States 2018/09/27 08:25:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BayouCityNosh 2018/09/27 20:23:21
BayouCityNosh
We eat a lot of CFS down here in Texas, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've been trying to think if I've ever encountered it offered as a sandwich and I can't remember one.  The choices usually involve a decision about how much of it you want to lop over the edge of the plate or whether you want steak fingers.  I guess they do things a little differently up there.

I have seen, and tried, fried pork chop sandwiches, at soul food or Cajun places, often bone-in.

I would have picked the El Reno Onion Burger for Oklahoma.

And would have picked the New Orleans Po-boy over the Muff.  There are a lot of choices for Muffs here but are they really that well known/available outside of a limited area of the South?

Sad to say, the Chopped Beef BBQ sandwich is probably a good choice for Texas.   I think it's the worst way to experience Texas BBQ but everybody serves 'em, unless they just don't do sandwiches at a particular joint.

Weekends and sometimes weekday evenings, the sight of people towing pits around behind SUVs or pickups, pulling into the parking lot of a grocery store, Best Buy, Academy Sports and Outdoors, etc., for just a few minutes, is very common.  They may offer links or even plates but overwhelmingly what people go for is the chopped beef sandwich, slathered in sauce.

Onion burgers for Oklahoma sounds right.
I’ve been thinking about this and it seems the problem is most sandwiches are associated with a City for the most part, and not a State, especially States with more than one big city. Still lots of fun.
Des Moines Guy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Most Iconic Sandwiches In 50 States 2018/09/27 17:29:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BayouCityNosh 2018/09/27 19:57:58
Can't agree with the loose meat sandwich being Iowa's iconic sandwich.....I don't know anybody under the age of 65 who eats those.  (full disclaimer----as a transplant from Chicago, maybe I just don't "get it").  Or, maybe it's a lot more popular in small towns than here in the Des Moines area.  I think there's maybe 4-5 places in the entire metro that serve these sandwiches.

Breaded pork tenderloin would be by pick.  In the media here, I'll see mentions of some group naming some place the best tenderloin in the state, or best BBQ in the state or best hamburger in the state.....never seen any awards for best loose meat sandwich.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5