Movie theater food memories

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 01:38:27 (permalink)
The Grenada in The Dalles. Buttered popcorn, hot dogs, and Birely's Orange soda. Livi' was easy
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 08:37:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marcbla

I remember going around town and collecting soda bottles and taking them in for the deposit money so i could go to the matinee on saturday afternoon. The Angela theatre in coaldale pa had all the usual candy but the one i rmemmber most was root beer kegs, they were soft gum drop candies not the hard root beer barrels of today. They also sold mini powdered doughnuts that made a really neat effect when we threw them at the screen, the powder shimmering in the projectors light! Many years ago i saw a flick at the phoenixville theatre, the exterior of the place was used for the movie the blob!

Although it has changed owners and been remodeled many times, the diner in the Blob is still there - right in the center of Downingtown, PA on Route 30.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 09:41:08 (permalink)
We used to stop at the dime store for bulk candy by the pound in paper sacks--nonpareils were the favorite--and sneak it in a purse to the show. Of course, we couldn't resist getting popcorn at the theatre. There were days when we'd go to a different 50 cent movie every day.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 10:09:00 (permalink)
In 1956, we moved from Bay Ridge (Brooklyn) to Bayonne, NJ. The major difference betweeen the theaters in those 2 locations was that movie theaters in NYC were required to have a "matron" on duty in the children's section of the theater, in order to control unruly, unattended children. The matrons who I remember in Brooklyn were always dressed in a white uniform, and were universally crabby. Then again, if I had that job, I would probably have been a bit testy also.

So, the theater in Bayonne, "The DeWitt" was unencumbered by a matron, and as a result, the kids could get a bit unruly during the Saturday matinees. In comparison to today, however, the unruliness (is that a word?) was really not very bad.

I remember that the balcony at the DeWitt was perpetually "closed", according to the sign. The rumor was that the balcony had been comdemned, but in reality, this may just have been an attempt to save money by not stationing an usher up there. Nevertheless, anyone who wanted to go upstairs was not prevented from doing so. This was actually a great "necking" opportunity for the teenagers, due to no supervision up there.

The Saturday Kiddie Matinee was usually 35 cents. Sometimes, it was only 25 cents. My food of choice, since the double feature + cartoons led to many hours in the theater, was the hot dog. These were "cooked" (in reality, probably only warmed) by rotating on spikes in a small enclosed glass chamber with a couple of light bulbs. The bulbs actually did cause that little chamber to get pretty hot, so the hot dogs really were fairly hot.

My most vivid memory is of seeing the Three Stooges "live" at the theater on a couple of occasions. They appeared with "Officer Joe Bolton", a staff announcer at WPIX television who also hosted an afternoon kid's show that had led to a sort of renaissance of new fans for the Stooges. I believe that these live shows cost about $1.00, rather than the usual .25 or .35 fee.

Even though I was an unsophisticated little 10 year old, I was able to perceive that the Three Stooges, who looked so big on the movie screen, were actually just 3 very little, very old men with badly dyed hair. Although I remember enjoying their routines on stage, I also recall being a bit depressed to think that these guys were already elderly and becoming a bit feeble. Sort of pathetic for them to have to resort to their sophomoric antics at their advanced ages, you might say.

garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 10:42:52 (permalink)
In the Union movie theatre in Union,NJ it was pretty standard stuff..
popcorn
jujubes
dots
bon-bons(chocolate covered ice cream balls)
twizzlers.....etc.

we all bought extra popcorn when 'The Creature From The Black Lagoon' came out,so as to put the empty boxes on our feet and go up and down the isle,scaring each other with 'creature' mannerisms
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 11:14:06 (permalink)
Okay, so I am a bit younger and what i remember foodwise from when i was really younger pretty much matches up with what is offered today.

But my best food memory of the movie theatre was actually from what we brought into the theatre. See during the Passover holiday, you are restricted from what you can eat. but the clinker is that we still are off from school for the week (if you go to a yeshiva) so what is a stressed out mother to do? Take us to the movies of course. Sometimes a couple times if the movies out during that time were good.

And to keep us satisfied my mother, and I know a lot of other moms who did this too, would bring an oversized bag of food to keep us entertained. You never knew what was going to come out, but you always could count on excellent bottles of Coke or Dr. Browns (made with real sugar instead of corn syrup in conformance with the holiday) and good candy bars/assorted candy that was sold in Passover Candy Sales at school.

There were potato chips and different cheeses, fruit, and assorted other goodies.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9046
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 11:57:27 (permalink)
Never really bought anything more than a Coke when we went to the indoor movies but at the drive-ins we always had burgers, hot dogs, chips, etc. from the centrally-located concession stand (I've never been a big fan of movie popcorn) plus whatever we brought/smuggled in with us. Like my "Peanuts" thermos full of hootch.

Brad
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 806
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 14:18:14 (permalink)
Lucky us growing up in Woodstock, VA...the movie theater there is a vaudeville-days down and dirty affair. It's called Dalkes. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but it looks the same from the outside. They had great popaorn and old-school Coke where it would come out half-syrup, half seltzer and you mixed it with a straw.
Springfield, MA had the old Palace. It wasn't that old, but it was really pre-multiplex. I used to love to bite the ends off Twizzlers and use them as straws. We also used to sneak in cheap treats from the Brooks Pharmacy and Italian pastries from one of those great eateries there in the 'field.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2415
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 14:38:29 (permalink)
My favorite thing about the movies was the orange drink that came in the plastic "oranges" with little white straws and were smashed down into the crushed ice to keep them cold. It was a big deal for me to be able to "pick" my own orange out of the ice. Oh yeah, and BUTTERED popcorn.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 15:23:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

This past weekend, my granddaughter asked, “Grandma, did they sell popcorn at the movies in the olden days?” So we started talking about movie theater food when I was growing up. Our local theater – called The Auditorium – offered popcorn, ice cream sandwiches, soft drinks and candy. There may have been other items but they were the only selections that could be juggled into my Saturday matinee budget.

It was such a hard decision. Should I go for the short-term rush of a frozen Peanut Butter Cup or something mundane like a box of jujubes (the candy that put my dentist’s two children through college) that would last through the whole afternoon?

No matter what my choice, I always saved a nickel for the exotic soda machine located between the entryways of the Men’s and Ladies’ Lounges. Flavor choices were: cola, really bright green lemon lime, really bright orange-pineapple, really bright purple grape, and root beer. It was supposed to work this way:
1) Put nickel into slot
2) Paper cup drops down into holder
3) Simultaneous streams of soda water and soft drink syrup squirt into cup
4) Liquid stops squirting
5) Customer slides up glass door and removes cup full of drink

One of the reasons it was the afternoon’s highlight was because something could and usually did go wrong with one of those five steps and part of the fun would be waiting to see what it would be. Would today be the day the cup would tilt while it was dropping down so lemon lime syrup would squirt all over your white clamdiggers instead of into the cup? Would the cup drop at all? Would the soda water stream stop dead in its tracks when the cup was only half full? Would the glass door be stuck in the half open position, allowing the overflowing liquids to dribble on your feet but not allow you to remove the cup? Would…..

Sorry, I’m getting carried away by thoughts of that mystical machine.

What kinds of foods did they sell in your local movie theater when you were a kid?

Ya missed a step: to see if the ice was going to get in the cup! (if there was any). I remember those machines and the chances of getting a iced cup of soda made correctly was about 1 in 5.
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 15:38:08 (permalink)
Growing up here in California, "Red Vines" and not Twizzlers were the standard at most theaters. Are Twizzlers more common in other parts of the country?
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2415
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/02 16:01:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Matt

Growing up here in California, "Red Vines" and not Twizzlers were the standard at most theaters. Are Twizzlers more common in other parts of the country?

Definetly Twizzler country here, red, black and BROWN. I don't eat them but I'm guessing the brown is chocolate??
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/03 09:38:30 (permalink)
Peachpie--It's interesting that you had the same feeling upon seeing the aged Righteous Brothers that I experienced upon seeing the elderly Stooges. I guess that part of this feeling is that all of this reminds us of our own mortality--and we don't like confronting that reality.

Celebrities tend to get etched in our memories during their prime, and then when we see them years later, it really jars the senses to see them looking so different than they did on the screen or in our memories.

Regarding the Righteous Brothers, I think that it was particularly sad to see the autopsy results on the one who passed away last year. We all know that drugs are a bad thing, but we always tend to think of younger people in connection with illicit drugs. In this case, someone who was bordering on Senior Citizen status did himself in with an overdose of cocaine (I think that this was the illicit drug that they found evidence of). Very sad. I think that I just may opt to stay away from seeing performers many years after their prime, rather than come away with feelings of depression over their appearance. Better to remember them at their peak!

Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 806
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/03 11:47:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Matt

We don't have them in theaters, but Wal-Mart peddles them here in Virginia. I've even seen "diet" Vines at CVS drugstores.
Red Vines are a little more brittle than Twizzlers but work better as straws.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Movie theater food memories 2005/02/04 15:35:49 (permalink)
My memories are of all the annoying sucking and munching going on. Same on airplanes. It's a 90 min movie, you just had dinner, so sit down, shut up and watch the darn movie! Sorry, the main reason i watch movies at home on the big screen "after they're released".
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5