Mullin's Drive-In (Fox Lake, WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8623
2018/09/29 12:26:28 (permalink)

Mullin's Drive-In (Fox Lake, WI)

Open since 1934, Mullin's Drive-In just finished its 85th summer.  Given that Fox Lake isn't far from Columbus there may be a connection to the Mullins Short Stop there, but I haven't found anything online.

It was a cool Saturday morning 3 weeks ago when I stopped in and I was the first customer of the day.  A simple cheeseburger and a chocolate malt were what I was after; while the malt was excellent the burger unfortunately suffered from a slightly stale bun (hopefully just a very infrequent aberration).  Still, I enjoyed it while sitting at one of the picnic tables.

Mullin's is the kind of place where displaced Fox Lake natives go to right away when they return, the kind of place where a non-jock who's lucky enough to be dating a cheerleader wants to be seen on a warm weekend night, the kind of place where at any time multiple generations of the same family can be seen.  It's an institution.

On my way into Fox Lake I came across this historical marker.  Like many of his contemporaries, Bunny Berigan had his life cut short by substance abuse.  Hey Fox Lake, get somebody out there with some paint and a few brushes!

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/09/29 12:29:16

2 Replies Related Threads

phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 835
    Re: Mullin's Drive-In (Fox Lake, WI) 2018/09/29 13:24:37 (permalink)
    That looks like a fantastic place to stop for a summer meal, especially if they freshen up those buns.  Of course, I could always make it a malt-only stop.

mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 578
    Re: Mullin's Drive-In (Fox Lake, WI) 2018/09/29 23:10:41 (permalink)
    Looks great. Bunny died of cirrhosis at 33! Either drank a whole, WHOLE lot or started very young. I have visions of spiked baby bottles. Whille I was doing my research, I saw "I Can't Get Started" was one of his hits and I just listened to it. Very nice. Thanks for the report.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5