Helpful ReplyHot!My Year in Roadfood - 2016

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 13:24:18 (permalink)
lleechef
bb
I understand it was around Halloween but that orange jello is just plain creepy.

Wait a second, you prefer your jello without eyeballs?
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11355
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 13:43:31 (permalink)
buffetbuster
lleechef
bb
I understand it was around Halloween but that orange jello is just plain creepy.

Wait a second, you prefer your jello without eyeballs?

Um.  Well.  Yeah.  Kinda sorta.  While I don't mind staring at lobster or fish eyeballs while I'm consuming the other parts, the jello eyeballs are just yuckie.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 13:48:54 (permalink)
lleechef-
We ate at Mariton's favorite dim sum restaurant in Falls Church, VA on Sunday and one dish she particularly loves is something called salt baked shrimp, which come with the heads still on.  As much as I love shrimp, yeah, not for me.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 14:05:01 (permalink)
buffetbuster
lleechef-
We ate at Mariton's favorite dim sum restaurant in Falls Church, VA on Sunday and one dish she particularly loves is something called salt baked shrimp, which come with the heads still on.  As much as I love shrimp, yeah, not for me.

Oh, if we're talkin shrimp or crawdads........heads on and you gotta suck the heads!!!!  Best part!
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 542
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 14:10:58 (permalink)
buffetbuster
lleechef-

That's a great restaurant. I used to work right near that spot. Great Peking Duck in the area also. She has good taste, BB.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 14:21:24 (permalink)
Wintahaba-
When in the area, we usually hit the Peking Duck place on Saturday night and the dim sum on Sunday for lunch before driving home.  Because we were staying in downtown DC on this trip, I told her we would only have time for one and asked her to choose.  No hesitation, she wanted dim sum.  After that, across the street to Eden Center for some grocery shopping, where she picked up a bagfull of jackfruit to take home.

I agree, Fortune is a terrific restaurant! 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/02/16 14:53:43
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22410
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 14:51:20 (permalink)
If my research led me to my mother it would then have led me to the heartburn medication aisle at the drug store.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6333
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 16:57:40 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Anyone else been to Clifton's?

Yes.

A HUGE highlight of my pre-adolescent years was being taken by my mother and two grandmothers to Southern California via rail from Pittsburgh.  It was 1956; I was 8 and - yes - more than a bit spoiled as the only child of only children.

Even though the primary object of the trip was to visit Disneyland (then, in its first year) it was a very leisurely trip that included every 'touristy' thing, including Clifton's Pacific Seas Restaurant.

It was immense, so big you kind of expected King Kong to greet you inside!

It was 'total Hollywood' complete with photographers and cigarette girls.

Of course I can't remember the specifics of the meal (for me the culinary highlight of the trip was the fried chicken at Knott's - even more than the Prime Rib at Lawry's!) but the premises were overwhelming.  And I still have the souvenir I bought for $1.25 that day: a small hand-made olivewood box I bought at their Garden of Gethsemane gift shop.  It still retains its scent of olive.

I see that the renovated Clifton's has a "Pacific Seas Tiki Bar"; this is not to be confused with their monumental restaurant illustrated above.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 17:13:56 (permalink)
MJ-
Wow!  What an experience that must have been.  Thanks so much for the post.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 542
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 17:56:22 (permalink)
Thanks for the Clifton's memories Jim. Yes, The renovated Clifton's is the Clifton's Brookdale. The Pacific Sea's you went to was razed in the early 60's.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 18:03:57 (permalink)
Best Pies

25. Summit Diner (Somerset, PA)

Somerset is smack dab in the middle of the graham cracker pie belt and the version they make at Summit Diner is especially tall with light as air meringue.

24. McSweeney's (Plattsburgh, NY)

McSweeney's is best known for their Michigan hot dogs, but they a commendable job on their homemade pies, too.  This slice of vanilla cream pie is so good, it makes you wonder why more places don't offer it.

23. Pie (Seattle, WA)

I don't know what to think of Pie.  On the first visit, Mariton and I enjoyed spectacular coconut cream and apple pies, highlighted by heavenly, flaky crusts.  Even the petite pumpkin pie was a winner.  Then we revisited with ChiTownDiner and everything we tried was across the board dreadful.  I've decided to blame CTD, as he obviously doesn't love pie enough.

22. Dangerously Delicious Pies (Baltimore, MD)

I have mixed feelings about this place.  They have a nationwide reputation thanks to multiple appearances on tv shows.  Yet, I always walk out the door thinking it should have been better.  The fact that they serve their pies in tin pans also doesn't make me like them anymore.  Still, if you factor out expectations, their pies are more than good enough to make this list.  The Baltimore Bomb is made with Berger's cookies and might be the richest pie I have ever eaten.  The pineapple upside pie was a nice twist on the classic cake.

21. Hoosier Mama (Evanston, IL)

This Chicago pie shop deserves much credit for their creativity in offering new and unusual flavors.  Some work better than others.  The espresso cream would be best enjoyed by coffee lovers, of which I am not one.  Fortunately, the fig and pear crumb was an wonderful combination.

20. Loving Pie Company (Nashville, TN)

Loving Pie Company is a find by CajunKing and unfortunately, my first visit a few years ago was not good.  All three pies we tried we over the top sweet, with very little substance.  But knowing his impeccable credentials in finding good places to eat, we tried again this year and it was much better.  The above pie has chocolate ganache, chocolate cake and chocolate cream cheese mousse and was named Pie Hard in honor of the recently deceased Alan Rickman.

19. Ladies of the Dukes (New Castle, PA)

Ladies of the Dukes is classic red sauce Italian joint, run by little old ladies and is only open on Sundays.  I know their pies are homemade as there has been a couple of occasions I have helped carry them in from the trunks of their cars.  Their coconut cream pie is a killer, but during a March visit, I was floored to find that they had graham cracker pie that day.  Finding this regional pie so close to home was a real thrill.

18. Bradley's Corner Café (Topeka, KS)

Bradley's has a reputation for their pies and they offer one of the longest list of pies I have ever seen.  But, I still hadn't found that one to really grab my pie loving heart.  Here on my third visit in July, the coconut cream was just what I was looking for.  This was a silky smooth coconut custard topped by an ethereal meringue that could only be made by a master.

17. Rolling Pin Bakehouse (Roanoke, IN)

I first found out about Rolling Pin due to it's appearance in Rick Sebak's excellent show A Few Good Pie Places.  They don't have their own building and all the baking is done in the kitchen of their home.  You call ahead to place and order and pick up either at the house or Roanoke's Farmer's Market on Saturdays.  Rolling into town (bad pun), I had no problem finding their booth.  I didn't get to try it until that night at the hotel in Fort Wayne, but it still tasted so fresh.  The next day, WanderingJew, Ralph and Lori Melton were able to sample slices in the parking lot at Belgrade Gardens in Barberton, OH.

16. Upper Crust Pie Bakery (Overland Park, KS)

Although I had been to the now closed Kansas City, MO location of Upper Crust, this was my first visit to the Overland Park store.  They make high quality pies with the best ingredients and my mini-blackberry pie tasted like Summer itself.

15. Pie Peddlers (Glen Rose, TX)

I love most pies, but pies found in a serendipitous manner taste that much sweeter.  While driving through Glen Rose, I just happened to catch the word pie on a sign.  Was I daydreaming?  Was it wishful thinking.  Considering it was national pie day, it was exciting to find Pie Peddlers in the middle of downtown.  The crispy bits of toasted coconut that crown the  light meringue is what lands the coconut cream pie this high on the list.

14. A La Mode Pies (Seattle, WA)

This is one of those shops that you get a really good felling about as soon as you walk in the door.  The pies on display look amazing and fortunately, the taste just as good.  So many interesting flavors to try, but we went with star spangles sour cherry pie and bizarre marionberry hazelnut combination.  I prefer my cherry pies on the tart side and this was just about perfect.

13. P & H Truck Stop (Wells Junction, VT)

I tried maple cream pies at both Wayside Restaurant and P & H Truck Stop just hours apart and P & H was the clear winner.  This pie doesn't mess around; it really brings a powerful maple punch!

12. Julian Pie Company (Santa Ysabel, CA)

These people really know their way around fruit pies.  Johnny's slice was of apple mountain berry crumb was a pleasure to eat, but that natural apple pie, with no sugar added is the star of the menu.  The apples were so fresh, it tasted like they were picked right before we arrived.  

11. Moody's Diner (Waldoboro, ME)

While most people most associate Maine with lobster, no state does a better job with blueberry pie.  And Moody's is one of the best.  It features so many blueberries pouring out of the side, they have to put it in a bowl.

10. Santa Fe Bite (Santa Fe, NM)

Is there nothing nothing this place doesn't do well?  Apparently not.  Owner Bonnie Eckre makes the pies herself and the buttery crust with a sugary top coating make this pie swoon worthy. 

9. Norma's Café (Dallas, TX)

Nobody makes taller pies than Norma's Café, but then, this is Texas after all.  I've tried their chocolate pie and their peanut butter pie seperately, but just like the old Reese's Cups commercials, those two flavors were meant for each other.  By the way, this slice was the completion of a very successful breakfast.

8. Berry Patch Restaurant (Westport, OR)

This is another restaurant that really knows how to make great berry pies.  How does marionberry cream sound?  And whomever decided on the huckleberry/marionberry combination is nothing short of an evil genius!

7. New Mexico Pie Company (Albuquerque, NM)

During two visits in 2016, I tried several different of their mini-pies, but none better than their signature caramel apple green chile apple pie.  The chiles are mild and enhances instead of competing with the sweetness of the fruit and caramel.

6. Nick's Kitchen (Huntington, IN)

Sugar cream pie is the official Hoosier state pie and if there is a better one than what they serve at Nick's Kitchen, then I haven't had it.

5. Spinning J (Chicago, IL)

One of the points on Chicago's famous pie triangle, I loved the old fashioned soda fountain atmosphere.  Two slices of pie, both of which were flavors I had never tried before, Key lime hibiscus was certainly interesting, but that rich smores pie with a killer graham cracker crust was unbelievably good.

4. Apple Pan (Los Angeles, CA)

You would think that with a name like Apple Pan, that apple pie would be the go-to-slice, but those in the know go straight for the banana cream.  A thin cookie crust, long slices of banana, dense banana custard and topped with fresh cream, this pie has it all.

3. Bang Bang Pie Shop (Chicago, IL)

It's one thing to visit Bang Bang Pie Shop on your own.  It's quite another to visit with the ChiTownDiner.  Due to his celebrity, the owner hooked us up with a pie flight and there wasn't a loser in the bunch.  The top pie is called New Year's pie with grapefruit mousse, champagne curd and a fantastic shortbread crust.  Next is the cranberry cheesecake with cranberry jam on a graham cracker crust.  The third pie photo is chocolate pecan with maple filling and a graham cracker crust.  These people really know how to put interesting combinations together.

2. Emporium Pies (Dallas, TX)

No visit to Dallas is complete without a visit to this exceptional pie shop.  The Winter only pie known as Father Christmas is a peppermint pie with a chocolate cookie crust.  Also shown is the buttermilk blitzen, which adds chai spice to the traditional buttermilk pie.

1. Stockholm Pie Company (Stockholm, WI)

My favorite pie shop in the country has greatly expanded since my last visit.  Obviously, business is booming and deservedly so.  The blackberry custard was a wonderful combination of sweet fruit and smooth custard.  Even better is that double lemon pie, a chess pie with lemon custard and lemon curd.  If you enjoy lemon desserts like I do, it doesn't get any better than this.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/02/16 22:00:06
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 19:13:02 (permalink)
YOU'RE GONNA LEAVE US HANGING FOR THE TOP TEN PIES FOR A SILLY HOCKEY GAME???  The nerve of some Roadfooders. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22410
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 19:32:30 (permalink)
Yeah! What she said.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9867
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 20:58:48 (permalink)
I was wondering where that slice of sugar cream pie was from! I thought about putting it on my 2016 pie list but since I didn't know where it was from and I technically didn't visit, Rolling Pin Bakehouse didn't quite make the cut. 

Count me in as a huge fan of the Maple Cream Pie at P & H Truck Stop, on the other hand the Maple Pie at The Wayside does absolutely nothing for me. Next time you're in Vermont, check out Rosie's Restaurant in Middlebury, their Maple Cream pie isnt' quite as legendary as P & H but much better than the Wayside
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/02/16 21:42:37
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 21:25:53 (permalink)
lleechef-
I hope you appreciate that as soon as I quit watching the game to finish this, they started losing." />
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 21:58:22 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Count me in as a huge fan of the Maple Cream Pie at P & H Truck Stop, on the other hand the Maple Pie at The Wayside does absolutely nothing for me. Next time you're in Vermont, check out Rosie's Restaurant in Middlebury, their Maple Cream pie isnt' quite as legendary as P & H but much better than the Wayside

I've had high quality desserts at Wayside Restaurant before, such as their grape nuts pudding, but that maple cream pie was rather ordinary.  Thanks for the tip on Rosie's Restaurant.

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 22:30:10 (permalink)
buffetbuster
lleechef-
I hope you appreciate that as soon as I quit watching the game to finish this, they started losing." />" />

I'm sorry.   

All the pies are fantastic.  I too love lemon.  My favorite is lemon meringue.  So my favorite on your list would be the Double Lemon!  Now I am going to dig into a piece of Mississippi Mud Pie that I made!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/02/16 22:45:00 (permalink)
lleechef-
And they came back and won! I bet that Mississippi mud pie is something special. Can I assume it has nuts in it?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/02 09:32:10 (permalink)
BB, inspired by your post, W. and I "desserted" at the McKinney location of Emporium Pies the other day.  She had 'Lord of the Pies' (apple/cinnamon streusel) and I went with 'Dr. Love' (cherry red velvet).  Both were spectacular!

And thanks to you for introducing me to this fine establishment.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4433
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/02 09:50:30 (permalink)
23. Pie (Seattle, WA)

I don't know what to think of Pie.  On the first visit, Mariton and I enjoyed spectacular coconut cream and apple pies, highlighted by heavenly, flaky crusts.  Even the petite pumpkin pie was a winner.  Then we revisited with ChiTownDiner and everything we tried was across the board dreadful.  I've decided to blame CTD, as he obviously doesn't love pie enough.

Sorry, not much of a pie guy.  I was only along to assist in finding and photographing for your Pie Women of Pittsburgh Calendar.  I'll try them next time if I have to!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/02 09:50:58 (permalink)
MJ-
Thanks so much for letting me know about that.  That apple pie known as "Lord of the Pies" is one of the best pies I have ever tried.  Looking forward to trying that Dr. Love sometime.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/02 15:24:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MJ-
Thanks so much for letting me know about that.  That apple pie known as "Lord of the Pies" is one of the best pies I have ever tried.  Looking forward to trying that Dr. Love sometime.

The Dr. Love was great, but it is/was their tribute to Valentine's Day, so it may have vanished by March 10.  But, I'm sure they'll have something delectable to replace it on their "menu".
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/02 17:20:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster
lleechef-
And they came back and won! I bet that Mississippi mud pie is something special. Can I assume it has nuts in it?

No nuts!  It's an Oreo cookie crust with chocolate filling I make with Swiss baking semi-sweet chocolate, topped with fresh whipped cream.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/02 17:33:02 (permalink)
A very terrible blurry pic of mud pie........but you get the gist.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/04 08:00:38 (permalink)
While every picture tells a story...don't it?  It does seem like a few of the Bang Bang Sampler were "gone, but never forgotten!" 

A Very strong fivesome! 

The main menu board...

Specials....

MIA #1 - Peppermint Chocolate

MIA #2 - Spiced Tart Cherry

Separately, I am very excited to see the World Famous Chicago Pie Triangle (WFCPT) represented ENTIRELY with all three having made the Top 25 List!  Congratulations to Bang Bang Pie Shop, Spinning J and Hoosier Mama Pie Shop!  This recognition will drive me even harder in my search for pie in 2017 and beyond!  

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/03/04 08:09:27
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/06 10:31:32 (permalink)

CTD-
Are you saying there are other great pie shops in Chicago outside the famed Pie Triangle?

lleechef-
Blurry or not, that's a great looking slice of pie.  And so glad to hear no nuts!!!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/06 10:43:37 (permalink)
It's a shame I wasn't more diligent about keeping up with this thread.  It was really enjoyable writing it and there is still plenty of good material I never got around to.  But the idea of writing a year in review during March is just silly. 

I will have to get off to an earlier start next year.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/06 11:51:32 (permalink)
Yes....and don't stop!  

We don't pay our taxes for 2016 until April 15th....so you got 5 more weeks!  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9867
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/06 11:57:34 (permalink)
When I begin my best of 2017, buffetbuster will still be updating his best of 2016!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2016 2017/03/06 13:27:54 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Yes....and don't stop!  

We don't pay our taxes for 2016 until April 15th....so you got 5 more weeks!  

Who still pays taxes?!
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5