Helpful ReplyHot!My Year in Roadfood - 2017

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8253
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/06 09:50:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/01/06 12:39:02
buffetbuster

Oh, if only this could come true....
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/06 13:46:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kozel 2018/01/07 12:06:22
Why no tourist photos from McKeesport? 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12143
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 08:14:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/01/08 19:37:02
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

Oh, if only this could come true....

I promise a chicken (pan fried from Stroud's, with all the sides) in every pot!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 08:16:33 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq
Fabulous!!!  Such wonderful places!  Nice seeing the Charleston Pineapple Fountain in action...it is frozen solid right now!

Thanks Lynn!  I would love to get a photo of a frozen solid pineapple fountain.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 09:58:26 (permalink)
It seems the amount of great breakfast restaurants has increased over the years and the category of best breakfasts keeps getting more and more competitive.  Not wanting to leaving out worthwhile places, we have expanded the list to 20.  Truthfully, there was material to make it much longer than that, but we had to cut it off somewhere.

Best Breakfast (20-11)

20. Lange's Café (Pipestone, MN)

Would you order a dish called Southern Style Breakfast in Minnesota?  I didn't think I would and that would have been a mistake.  This is a pile of crispy hashbrowns smothered in a thick bacon gravy, sided by both sausage and more bacon.  And as you can see, the portion sizes and Paul Bunyan-esque.  Johnny really enjoyed his chicken fried steak, which comes in a creamy mushroom gravy.  And since Lange's excels with home baked goods, we started our meal with that Upper Midwest delight, the caramel roll.

19. Red Apple Café (Fresno, CA)

This is a fairly new place on Fresno's breakfast scene, but it has quickly become a local favorite.  Since hot links are a local specialty, I ordered the hot link benedict, topped with a spicy chipotle hollandaise sauce.  Mariton got the Hawaiian French Toast with a generous amount of coconut and an assortment of other fruits.

18. Al's Breakfast (Minneapolis, MN)

I tend to think of Al's as a place better known for it's great Roadfood atmosphere and somewhere everyone needs to visit at least once.  But they do put out a pretty darn good breakfast, too.  Both Cousin Johnny and I ordered unusual dishes.  Mine was the Hawaiian omelet, with chopped pork sausage and swiss cheese inside an extra crispy egg shell and then sour cream and pineapple chunks on top.  Johnny went with "The Spike", a scrambled egg dish with cheddar, mushrooms and garlic mixed in.  And we had to split an order of what Al's is most famous for, those thin blueberry pancakes.  All served with a heavy dose of sass.

17. Becky's Diner (Portland, ME)

I got two words for you: lobster omelet!  Those big, spuddy home fries are also worth seeking out.  Becky's has an early arriving crowd and even us getting there at 6:30AM meant that all the booths were taken and we had to sit at the counter.

16. Metro 29 Diner (Arlington, VA)

A favorite of MetroplexJim, who has yet to steer me wrong.  This is a big, comfortable diner that attracts lots of families.  They are best known for their French toast and it is ultra-thick and eggy.  My ham and swiss omelet was also first-rate.  The only bad thing I can say about this place is that the parking lot is way too small for how popular they are.

15. Garden House (Kamakura, Japan)

I have to admit that when we arrived in front of the restaurant and I saw that it is an American food restaurant, I was disappointed.  But that quickly gave way once I saw how great the food was. My pancakes, with plenty of light cream were excellent.  I was told that Kamakura is known for the quality of their ham, which turned out to be more of a grilled bacon.  Housed in a beautiful setting, this place was worth the two hour train ride.  One of the other entrees available for breakfast, which Cousin Erika ordered was tomato soup, sided by sourdough bread.

14. Allin's Diner (St. Charles, MO)

Big and meaty, this is still my favorite St. Louis slinger.  You can also order half slingers and omelets, which is the perfect size for Mariton and her Western omelet.  While we were eating (Mariton and I often sit on the same side of a booth, which we were told is called ferris wheeling) and we watched a man pull up in an old pickup truck with a cute dog in it.  He walked in the door, said hello to a few people and sat down on the empty side of our booth.  We chatted for a good 15 minutes, he excused himself, exchanged greetings with a few more people before walking out the door without ever ordering anything.  We still don't know what that was all about.

13. Ruth's Diner (Salt Lake City, UT)

This was the first time Mariton had visited Ruth's Diner and she loved it so much, she asked if we could come back for dinner.  Since I love it to, that sounded like a great idea.  Meals start with skyscraper tall biscuits, which pair perfectly with the blackberry jam already on the table.  The menu choices are daunting, but we were both more than satisfied with entrees of salmon benedict and chile verde omelet.

12. Maria's Taco X-Press (Austin, TX)

Maria's won us over as soon as we pulled in the parking lot and saw a very tall woman busting out (pun intended) through the roof.   An off-beat, funky place that fits in perfectly with the "Keep Austin weird" motto.  We shared orders of breakfast tacos, a terrific huevos rancheros, but the highlight was the order of corn with lime, mayo and chili.

11. The Griddle (Boise, ID)

I thoroughly enjoy a visit to the original The Griddle restaurant in Winnemucca, NV a few years ago.  They have expanded to Boise, so we stopped in during our time in Idaho's capital city.   Mariton is a bit of an oatmeal snob, but the steel cut version they serve here passed the test.  The rugged textured chicken fried steak comes on top of the gravy, to keep it from getting soggy.  And the Roadfood gods smiled upon us as the highlight of the meal was the fantastic blueberry pancakes, which are only available on Sundays.  To drink, you have to appreciate a place in Boise that takes the time to serve fresh squeezed orange juice.

The Top 10 breakfast places will be soon to follow....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/01/08 09:59:45
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9158
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 13:12:17 (permalink)
One item I use to judge a good breakfast place is if they serve a large link sausage, not those anemic skinny things so prevalent today. Growing up in the 50's in North Jersey, we lived three doors from a small butcher shop and my mom got amazing fat breakfast sausage from them, almost as big as an Italian link. Amazing taste. Can't remember the brand, maybe Blue ribbon?? But while the size doesn't guarantee flavor,experience seems to suggest otherwise,generally. At least that separates the place from the others.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 13:44:07 (permalink)
buffetbuster
It seems the amount of great breakfast restaurants has increased over the years and the category of best breakfasts keeps getting more and more competitive.  Not wanting to leaving out worthwhile places, we have expanded the list to 20.  Truthfully, there was material to make it much longer than that, but we had to cut it off somewhere.

Consider eating fewer photogenic breakfasts and more McMuffins.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 14:46:17 (permalink)
Continuing the list of best breakfasts of 2017:

10. Alabama Biscuit Co. (Birmingham, AL)

The Travelin Man and I were outside of this place once, peeking through the windows, since it sits just a few feet away from Miss Myra's BBQ.  It sure looked like it had potential, but this was late in the afternoon and this breakfast focused restaurant had already closed for the day.  So it was a pleasant surprise to see a year later Michael Stern review it.  Mariton started off with an exceptional bowl of oatmeal, full of house roasted pecans.  We shared three different types of biscuits, including a single biscuit with smoked ham and black pepper gravy.  But the standout was the roasted almond butter and blueberry jam biscuit.  Everything we tried was a clear cut above.

9. Sweet Lake Biscuits and Limeade (Salt Lake City, UT)

Speaking of biscuits, it was hard to choose which of these two great biscuits restaurants were enjoyed more.  These biscuits are heavy duty, substantial biscuits and you can eat them covered in gravy or with some of their homemade strawberry jam.  Our favorite way to appreciate the biscuits is by ordering "The Hoss", which contains tender fried chicken, cheddar, fried egg, green onions and bacon.  For a side, we loved the red quinoa hash browns.  And as the name suggests, the ideal way to wash it all down is with one of their limeades, including mint or honeydew cucumber.

8. Du-Par's (Los Angeles, CA)

We were spending the night in El Segundo, with plans to drive up to Fresno, which meant crossing through the city.  Not wanting to sit in rush hour traffic, we decided to get there early, arriving at Du-Par's at 4:30AM.  Even then, they were doing a nice business.  I love the nostalgic California coffee shop atmosphere here.  The omelets here, like my ham and swiss are just fine, but it's those perfect everytime pancakes that make us swoon.

7.  Tia Betty Blues (Albuquerque, NM)

There are so many great places to eat in New Mexico, especially in Albuquerque, that Tia's is often overlooked.  Which is a shame because the food is wonderful.  Mariton decided on the vegetarian omelet, which is unusual for her.  I thought I was ordering an entrée, plus a waffle on the side, not realizing that was also an entire entrée itself.  This is a spicy blue corn waffle, topped Christmas-style with red and green chile, plus a fried egg and cheese.  Having so much food wouldn't normally be an issue, but my smothered omelet was a massive plate of food.  They also have all kinds of interesting beverages, but we both settled on ginger apple tea, her warm and me iced.

6. Hell's Kitchen (Minneapolis, MN)

I have eaten here several times in the past for both breakfast and lunch and though the food has always been above average, I never thought of it as anyplace special.  This time, here with Cousin Johnny and Mariton, the food was so good we all agreed to revisit the following while back in the Twin Cities.  Apparently their mahnomin porridge is close enough to oatmeal that Mariton went crazy over it.  Other highlights over two meals included huevos rancheros, bison benedict, lemon ricotta pancakes and walleye hash.  Still, always front and center at Hell's Kitchen is the world's best peanut butter.  Always an idea guy, Johnny was fitting peanut butter, orange marmalade and blackberry jam on each slice of toast.

5. Goldy's Breakfast Bistro (Boise, ID)

Goldy's is not the most welcoming place.  Three visits now and on all three occasions the server acted like they could barely tolerate us.  But, with food this good, I will put up with that.  Mariton's salmon benedict was phenomenal, as the fish could not have been any fresher, while Goldy's is justifiably famous for their hollandaise sauce.  Channeling my buddy Billyboy, I got the chicken and yam frittata, topped with jalapeno sour cream.  And the biscuits and gravy were clearly the best we had all year.

4. Cecilia's Café (Albuquerque, NM)

I ate here three times in a five day span during our New Mexico trip and the only regret was he didn't get here more often.  Carne adovada somethered with a lip tingling red chile was exceptional.  On the second visit, it was the daunting Fireman's burrito, filled with carne adovada, egg, hash browns, chicharrones, bacon, sausage and beans and I got to taste the hottest green chile I have even came across.  On the third visit, Cecelia's proved they can handle gringo food, too, as Johnny's chicken fried steak was a winner.

3. Pasqual's (Santa Fe, NM)
I specifically planned on having a group breakfast here on the morning of our wedding.  There was seven of us and we took up most of the large center table.  As always the food and the service were as good as it gets.  Since I will be writing a segment about our wedding later on, I will save the photos and details for then.

2. Smoke (Dallas, TX)

As good as Smoke was in our first two visits here, that's how bad it was on a third visit.  So we came to Dallas several times without going here again.  Ready to give them another chance, Smoke happily showed us they still got it during a December visit.  My go-to dish is the smoked brisket cornbread hash, covered with a poached egg and a green chile rajas.  Interestingly, they took the popular lemon ricotta pancakes off the menu and replaced it with blueberry pancakes, which I actually liked even better.  Top notch sides included thick cut artisanal ham and the amazing, cheesey hominy casserole.

1. Hob Nob Hill (San Diego, CA)

If I could choose one place to eat breakfast everyday for the rest of my life, it would be Hob Nob Hill.  They never let me down.  The flavors of their coffee cakes (and muffins) change everyday and the featured flavors were two favorites, grape and pineapple.  These people really know how to cook eggs and we enjoyed a Baja omelet (jack cheese, ranchero sauce and green chile) and a fresh crab, jack cheese and avocado omelet.  What really puts this place at the top for me is the always great service and the presentation of the food.  My iced tea comes on a saucer.  Jam for the toast arrives in hollowed out orange peels.  I have never left here without a smile on my face looking forward to a great day ahead. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/01/08 17:34:35
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 17:42:02 (permalink)
buffetbuster
7.  Tia Betty Blues (Albuquerque, NM)
4. Cecilia's Café (Albuquerque, NM)

I've added these to my list of maybes for our Flagstaff trip in 2 months.  While there's no guarantee we'll stop, it's nice to know they're there!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 17:45:42 (permalink)
SC-
I can't recommend either one enough.  If it matters, the chile at Cecilia's is significantly hotter.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 17:56:33 (permalink)
That's good to know - thanks!  Mrs. C finds Wonder Bread spicy, so facts like this are important.

The trick will be getting past Burger Boy in Cedar Crest without filling up...
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10323
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 19:38:05 (permalink)
Epic end of year report as usual BB!
post edited by ann peeples - 2018/01/08 19:39:29
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1330
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/08 19:39:11 (permalink)
Those are some truly awesome breakfasts! I am jealous and hungry, now.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4825
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/09 07:14:43 (permalink)
Great breakfast spots...love a good breakfast or two to start off the day!  Can't wait for you coffee top 20...
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/09 10:23:33 (permalink)
One of the best things about traveling, especially traveling to eat, is that it brings you in contact with people you would have never met otherwise.  Here are some of nicest and most interesting people we met in 2017:

I have been to Flo's Hot Dogs many times over the years, usually hurrying to get to another destination north or south.  This time we decided to relax and dine in and since there wasn't much of a crowd (a rarity), we had plenty of time to chat with third generation owner Kim.  Really pleasant woman who takes pride in the family business.

There are two ordering stations of Ted's Hot Dogs in Tonawanda, NY, but I always head to the one on the left, no matter how short the other line is.  This allows me to watch our foot longs being charcoal grilled and chat with the employees manning the tongs.  Sometimes they will talk to you, sometimes they won't, but this young lady was downright chatty.

Thai rolled ice cream seems to be taking off here in Pittsburgh, as stores have done well enough in the city, that two more have opened up near us in the suburbs.  At NatuRoll Creamery you get called to a station where the teenage help asks questions to help customize your ice cream treat.  This young lady was especially giggly and friendly.

Kessler Pie Co. in Dallas is a family affair, started by Armida Ortega and her two daughters.  On the day we stopped in, daughter Debrah was working and she could not have been more welcoming.  The concept here is pies in a jar and she spent quite a bit of time with us, patiently answering all my inevitable questions.

One of the things about ordering in an ice cream parlor is that you can when they just go through the motions or really take care in building the customer a real treat.  This young lady at Highland Park Soda Fountain took her time and delivered us a beautiful ice cream sundae.  She was more than happy to pose with delicious creation.

Mariton rarely gets to eat food from the Philippines, so while we were in San Diego, I drove her down to National City.  This town has a huge Filipino population with plenty of restaurants and we settled on Tita's Kitchenette.  While in line for the ice cream dessert known as halo halo, we started talking to the guys behind us.  They were locals, who eat here all the time and they were lamenting the fact that your halo halo comes with a flimsy plastic spoon.  After looking around to make sure no one was looking, he pulled a regular spoon out of his pocket to show us.  He never comes to Tita's without it.  This sounds like something that I would do!

We found the people in Japan to be very friendly, but in restaurants, the servers were more businesslike than welcoming.  One exception was this young man in a okonomiyaki restaurant in Hiroshima, who was certainly having a good time with us tourists.  And since he was wearing a t-shirt of the Hiroshima Carp, I enjoyed talking baeball with him.

Dewar's Candy Shop is over 100 years old and a Bakersfield, CA, local institution.  Here is the young man with our massive banana split, showing it off for not only our cameras, but at least a half dozen others who now wanted the same thing.

Musso & Frank is as old-school as old-school can get.  Located in Hollywood, it does attract the local movers and shakers.  And even though we weren't movie stars or Hollywood glitterati, our red jacketed waiter Jonathan treated us like we were still important.

The amount of great looking baked goods at Jaarsma Bakery in Pella, IA can be overwhelming.  While each item is labeled, we can't necessarily tell what is.  So I asked a lady who was standing off to the side if she could answer a few questions.  Joy turned out to be a fountain of information, not only telling us about the baked goods, but about the history of the bakery, the history of the town and even which local lady were the best bakers.  She definitely pointed us in the right direction, because what we bought here was wonderful.

One of the classic photos of Roadfood is when they hand you your concrete at Ted Drewes, but first turn it upside down to show just how solid it is.  Since we spent a weekend in St. Louis, that allowed us three different visits.

Our favorite thing about Tina's Café in Lincoln, NE was our waitress with the big personality.  Which fits perfectly as she shows off the huge cinnamon rolls they make here.

Mary Ellen is the sister of Cecilia of Cecilia's Café in Albuquerque.  Such a character, she immediately made me feel like a regular.  When I came back with Cousin Johnny the very next day, I was greeted with a big hug and this time she posed with her sister.

Sitting at the bar at Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM, this man who turned out to be the owner struck up a conversation with us.  When he found out we were from out of town (San Antonio is so small I would think everyone is from out of town), he started loading us up with goodies, like keychains, pens, etc. and happily told us the story of how the Owl Bar first created the green chile cheeseburger.  Really nice man!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/01/09 12:46:42
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4825
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/09 20:30:02 (permalink)
Love those photos...you are truly the Ambassador of Roadfood....which I believe is one notch below the Sultan's status!  
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 493
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/10 15:27:55 (permalink)
Crazy Maria's place was about two blocks from our house in Austin....best fast breakfast in the area!!

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/15 13:38:25 (permalink)
Big_g-
We weren't anticipating much from Maria's, but it far exceeded our expectations.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/15 14:49:27 (permalink)
Having a voracious sweet tooth, the desserts will be divided into three categories.  The best of the non-pie/non-ice cream desserts in 2017:

10. Caramel Cake - Natalie's Cakes & More (Ferguson, MO)

Honestly, we were a little hesitant to go here due to it's location, but the area was just fine and the bakery itself could not have been more charming.  We got a slice of red velvet cake, since that is Mariton's favorite, but the spongy caramel cake, with not too sweet icing won our hearts.  The cakes are already sliced in plastic containers for easy to go orders.

9. Chocolate Pudding - Ruth's Diner (Salt Lake City, UT)

Did not have the amazing chocolate pudding at Charleston's Hominy Grill in 2017 (though I did have it for dessert on New Year's Eve 2016), so the chocolate pudding at Ruth's Diner will have to be the next best thing.  Arriving in a tall glass, topped with whipped cream and a few berries, it looks more like a milkshake.  This pudding is thick and ultra-rich, a real chocolate lovers dream come true.

8. Dark Chocolate Custard - Root Down (Denver, CO)

Airport food is notoriously lousy, but we had a great meal at Root Down, which was right next to our gate in Denver's International Airport.  Since our regular food was so good, we had to try dessert, too.  This custard tasted more of chocolate than overly sweet.  Built like a parfait, there were multiple layers of custard with stewed cherries, topped with made-in-house whipped cream and honeycomb toffee.

7. Peach Cobbler - Norma's Café (Dallas, TX)

I have always, for good reason, been focused on Norma's pies.  But 2017 was the year we finally tried one of the cobblers and it was equally as delicious.  My preference in cobblers in more of the sugary breading part, rather than the often straight from a can fruit and this was just what I like.

6. Flan - La Teresita (Tampa, FL)

This wonderful little Cuban restaurant offers several different desserts, but the flan is so good, I can't order anything else.

5. Strawberry Cheesecake - Bottega (Birmingham, AL)

I am no fan of cheesecake, but our suave waiter had been spot on concerning every other step of our lunch, so we listened when he recommended this dessert.  As you can see, this is more of a semi-frozen, vertical cheesecake than the traditional version.

4. Banana Pudding - Miss Myra's Pit Bar-B-Q (Birmingham, AL)

Best known for their white Alabama bbq sauce on smoked chicken, they make a killer banana pudding, too.  This is the prefect blend of custard, meringue, vanilla wafers and sliced bananas.

3. Indian Pudding - Maine Diner (Wells, ME)

Maine Diner offers a large roster of classic Yankee desserts, none better than the Indian pudding.  I am 100% anti-ice cream on pie, as it almost always changes the texture of the pie itself.  But for Indian pudding, it is practically a requirement.  There is something irresistable about that warm cornmeal/molasses flavor, with cold, sweet vanilla ice cream on each spoonful.

2. Tres Leches Cake - L & J Café (El Paso, TX)

So, so dense and moist, topped with sweet icing, this is a must-eat at El Paso's oldest restaurant.  They also do a terrific presentation, making it one of the most eye catching desserts.

1. Chocolate Buttercream Cake - Café Latte (St. Paul, MN)

This place is dessert heaven!  There are so many great looking cakes, it can be paralyzing trying to make a decision.  The salted caramel tres leches cake would be the star at most restaurants, but still took a backseat to the ultra-moist chocolate buttercream cake, topped with pretty pink icing.

Honorable mention:
1. Whoopie Pie - Eventide Oyster Co. (Portland, ME)
2. Dobos Torte - Perla's Homemade Delights (Parma, OH)
3. Natillas - Padilla's Mexican Kitchen (Albuquerque, NM)
4. Black Forest Cake - Schmankerl Stube (Hagerstown, MD)
5. Gooey Butter Cake - Sucrose (St. Charles, MO)
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9158
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/15 19:46:53 (permalink)
That indian pudding looks great.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 826
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/15 19:53:57 (permalink)
I'll that that richly dark Indian Pudding!  We get it every time we go to the Maine Diner.  One of our favorites.  We were there last June.  

Glenn & Janet

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/16 09:18:21 (permalink)
Best Ice Cream Desserts:

10. Anderson's Frozen Custard (Buffalo, NY)

At most frozen custard shops, I like the custard plain in a cup.  For some reason, the custard at Anderson's is especially good in sundaes, like this Reese's Pieces sundae.

9. Baked Bear (San Diego, CA)

Baked Bear makes wonderful ice cream sandwiches.  This is salted caramel fudge ice cream between a chocolate chip cookie and a peanut butter cookie.

8. Pumphouse Creamery (Minneapolis, MN)

This place has some of the more unusual flavors I have ever seen and they are across the board excellent.  Winners included Madagascar Vanilla, Local Raspberry with dark chocolate chips and Local Strawberry, but it was the Door County Sour Cherry that made us swoon.  We loved how the sour fruit balanced well with the sweetness of the ice cream.

7. Freddy's Pizzeria (Cicero, IL)

The Italian food at Freddy's is so spectacular, it is easy to overlook that they make world class gelato, too.  What flavors we enjoyed has been lost to memory, but I remember Fruits of the Forest being the standout.  Maybe ChiTownDiner can chime in here.

6. Dewar's Candy Shop (Bakersfield, CA)

If there is a better banana split out there, then I haven't had it.  Just the amount of marshmallow on it was overwhelming.

5. Kopp's Custard (Greenfield, WI)

As much as I love Kopp's, so much of my enjoyment comes from what their flavors of the day is.  This day I got lucky as one of my favorite flavors mint chip.  Love those fudgy chunks of dark chocolate.

4. Bauder Pharmacy (Des Moines, IA)

Our visit was in the middle of Summer, the perfect time to enjoy Bauder's famous fresh peach and strawberry ice creams.  Even better is the messy and imposing peppermint bar, which is a must-eat at the Iowa State Fair.

3. Ampersand Ice Cream (Fresno, CA)

This little ice cream shop is so good, it is probably a good thing that it is 2500 miles away.  If this was in my town, I would be here everyday.  There was three of us, so we split four flavors including dark chocolate, Bordeaux topped with salted caramel, honeycomb and the astonishingly good strawberry balsamic.

2. Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (St. Louis, MO)

Custard so thick, they hold it upside down when they hand it to you.  Of the three visits we made in one weekend, the blueberry, full of whole berries was the star.  This is the only place I have ever seen Mariton go back for seconds.

1. Abbott's Frozen Custard (Buffalo, NY)

I have seen discussions about which place has the best frozen custard in America, Ted Drewes or Milwaukee's Leon's/Kopp's duo.  I love them all, but my vote might go for Abbott's, a chain out of Rochester, NY.  The custard is so smooth and creamy, I don't even mind this being full of nuts (chocolate almond).  The Buffalo location is less than ideal, having just a small booth inside a burger restaurant, but who cares when the custard is this good.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/01/16 09:33:54
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 371
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/16 11:15:43 (permalink)
buffetbuster 
Indian Pudding - Maine Diner (Wells, ME)

Maine Diner offers a large roster of classic Yankee desserts, none better than the Indian pudding.  I am 100% anti-ice cream on pie, as it almost always changes the texture of the pie itself.  But for Indian pudding, it is practically a requirement.  There is something irresistable about that warm cornmeal/molasses flavor, with cold, sweet vanilla ice cream on each spoonful.

I will have to try Indian pudding with ice cream.  The only time I had it was at the Publick House in Sturbridge. Not that I don't like ice cream, but I thought maple syrup would be better so I asked for that with the pudding instead of the ice cream.  They brought me a very generous-sized sauce boat filled with warm maple syrup.  The syrup with the pudding was delicious.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 775
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/16 13:34:23 (permalink)
Ivyhouse
buffetbuster 
Indian Pudding - Maine Diner (Wells, ME)

I will have to try Indian pudding with ice cream.  The only time I had it was at the Publick House in Sturbridge. Not that I don't like ice cream, but I thought maple syrup would be better so I asked for that with the pudding instead of the ice cream.  They brought me a very generous-sized sauce boat filled with warm maple syrup.  The syrup with the pudding was delicious.

My Mother (miss her everyday) made this often, because it was my Dad's favorite. He was from Maine, she was from NH. She served it with hard sauce. I loved it and have not had it in years.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/16 15:07:35 (permalink)
Ivyhouse

I love the idea of maple syrup on top of Indian pudding.  Next time!

Mr. Poboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/17 09:22:40 (permalink)
 I always look forward to your year in review posts. Such fantastic photos, and I love how you showcase some of the staff at the various places you've visited. Well done!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/17 12:50:26 (permalink)
Mr. Poboy-
That's very kind of you.  Thank you so much!

You just never know how a person is going to react when you ask to take their photos.  We've had wonderful waitresses so no way, while others love posing.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/01/17 12:51:49
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5408
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/17 12:56:28 (permalink)
yer just makin us wait for the main event.....pies.....you know that, right? :-)
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/17 14:07:14 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
yer just makin us wait for the main event.....pies.....you know that, right? :-)

That would be like announcing Best Picture halfway through the Oscars!  Actually, it is all set to go and will be coming very soon.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/01/17 15:04:19 (permalink)
A few notes and stories:

* You want to know when it's time to go on a diet?  I walked in our local Graeter's Ice Cream, picked out eight pints (mostly black raspberry chip) from the freezer and took it to the register.  The teenage girl asked me, "Is this for here or to go?"  I will admit that it is nothing to eat a pint in one sitting by myself, but do I really look like I could eat eight?

* Mariton and I decided on Good Luck Café for breakfast while we were in El Paso.  As we walked in the door, the man at the grill behind the counter called out, "Hola" to us.  English is definitely a second language here, but that is part of the fun.  Our waitress' English was no better than my Spanish, but we still had no issues ordering.

While eating, she dropped off the check.  At first I was amazed at how inexpensive breakfast was at $13. 

At least until I noticed we were charged for two tortas, which we did not eat.  Considering how much food I had ordered, our bill had to be well over $20.00.  I walked up to the counter and told her we had the wrong check.  She replied without looking at it, "That's okay, that's okay."  Once she looked at it, she said, "Good for you!"  Uh, what?  Then she said, "Not good for other person, but good for you!" I was too surprised to argue.  So I handed her a twenty and received the change.

This really made us wonder, did someone already accidentally pay our higher bill?  I still can't believe that this happened.

* In 2016, Mariton and I had a fantastic lunch at the St. Augustine Colombia Restaurant.  While in Tampa during Memorial Day weekend, we made dinner reservations at the original location in Ybor City.  For this dinner, you also got to see a flamenco dance show. 

Truthfully, the food on this night wasn't nearly as good, but the dance show was so much fun, we hardly noticed.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/01/17 15:23:19
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5