Helpful ReplyHot!My Year in Roadfood - 2017

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12277
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/01 13:24:51 (permalink)
Sorry for the delay in getting this finished up.  I've been buried at work the last week or so and have some family issues going on.  Hope to do it early next week.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6952
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/02 10:10:20 (permalink)
Everyone should note that buffetbuster has been steadily adding new dishes to his monumental post #123 above.

One of his latest "adds" was a chili half-smoke at Weenie Beenie.  Back in my drinking days, those - or a butter-soaked grilled cheese & bacon - washed down with Mountain Dew cured many a hangover for me!

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8505
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/02 11:23:50 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Sorry for the delay in getting this finished up.  I've been buried at work the last week or so

Good thing you're not an undertaker.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/03 17:52:53 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Everyone should note that buffetbuster has been steadily adding new dishes to his monumental post #123 above.

One of his latest "adds" was a chili half-smoke at Weenie Beenie.  Back in my drinking days, those - or a butter-soaked grilled cheese & bacon - washed down with Mountain Dew cured many a hangover for me!

I work a little less than a mile from there.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/04 09:07:04 (permalink)
This is taking as long as Sandra and Dale's Joint Report...
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/04 10:08:53 (permalink)
Davebassman
MetroplexJim

So, have you patronized them? 
If so, what do you think?

My particular favorites there are:

3) their half-smokes.
2) their wonderfully various, buttery grilled cheese sandwiches.
1) their XL Carolina Barbecue sandwich.  I like mine "no slaw", "add hot sauce".

Even though I rarely buy it elsewhere, their offerings are well complemented by a Mountain Dew, 'no ice'.

-------------------

BTW, have you ever tried a Bolivian Salteña
Now that's a treat - and there's a great place for them near your work.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/05 07:27:34 (permalink)
Davebassman
MetroplexJim

Lucky you!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/05 09:32:12 (permalink)
We certainly ate plenty of great pie in 2017.  Before we get to the list a few notes:

A big thanks to ChiTownDiner who seemingly crisscrossed eastern Iowa picking up pies and kolaches before meeting us in Des Moines.  It is only fair that my list is of restaurants we actually visited ourselves otherwise this lovely sour cream raisin pie

from Ox Yoke Inn in Amana, IA would be on the list.

And I will be forever grateful that Mark and Charlene Johnson gifted us one of her amazing sour cream raisin pies

when we met them for dinner.  Even though it is also not eligible for this list, I still consider Charlene's pies the best I have ever had.

And another thanks goes to PieDiva and JRPfeff for bringing pies to a Contingent get together in June. 

I can't remember what kind of pie it was (it was something I had never heard of before, which is always exciting), but everything that comes out of PieDiva's kitchen is exceptional.

Best Pies 

16. Coconut Cream Pie - Pop Pie (San Diego, CA)

I usually do thorough research looking for the best pie stops in a city before going, but I completely whiffed on Pop Pie.  The only way we found it was we happened to be driving by.  Almost like it was meant to be!  Pop Pie is a charming little shop that makes mini pies.  The best of the ones we tried was a coconut cream in a warm, buttery crust.  Unfortunately, the photo didn't turn out, but other flavors like apple crumb, strawberry milkshake and London Fog, with a subtle earl gray tea flavor were also hits.

15. Bumbleberry Pie - Hillsboro General Store (Hillsboro, NM)

It was a major disappointment to read that my favorite New Mexico pie shop shut it's doors permanently in 2017, but we still found some great pie in the southern part of the state.  How can you not love a mixed berry pie with blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and rhubarb?  I'm not a fan of a la mode, but Mariton is.  And it often makes for a better photo.

14. Chocolate Pie - Blanco Bowling Club (Blanco, TX)

The pies aren't quite as tall as I remember on a previous visit, but this is still a Texas-sized slice of pie.  Deep, dark fudgy flavor and a light as air meringue make for a memorable slice of pie.

13. Idleberry Pie - Idle Isle Café (Brigham City, UT)

The young waitress apologized when she brought out this slice of idleberry pie, but it sure looked good to me.  Unique to Idle Isle Café, idelberry pie is another mixed fruit combination with blueberries, blackberries and boysenberries in a soft crust.

12. Chocolate Cream Pie - The Colonnade (Atlanta, GA)

The Colonnade has won my heart in the past with some unusual pies (I still fondly remember trying their Do-Si-Do pie), but on a Labor Day visit, the roster of pies was rather ordinary.  Still, we couldn't turn down a slice of their chocolate topped with made in house cream in a tender, fragile crust.

11. Blueberry Pie - Maine Diner (Wells, ME)

The problem with the Maine Diner is they offer so many great desserts, including regional ones like grapenuts pudding and Indian pudding, it makes it almost impossible to choose.  But Maine is known for making the best blueberry pies and this version is a beaut!  Rugged crusted, this pie is more fresh, sweet berries than anything else.

10. Peanut Butter Pie - Bright Star (Bessemer, AL)

My usual order here is the excellent lemon ice box pie, on a graham cracker crust.  Luckily for us, will_work_4_bbq was kind enough to join us.  She has been eating here since she was a little girl and knows the menu inside and out.  When she ordered the peanut butter pie, saying it was their best, I was a little skeptical, but she was 100% right.  Not overly rich like most peanut butter pies, this was much more smooth and creamy.  Looks like on our next visit to Bright Star, it will be a multiple pie meal.

9. Mexican Chocolate Pie - Pie Hole (Tokyo, Japan)

We ate at two different locations of Pie Hole, the original store in the Arts District of Los Angeles and the one in Shinjuku Station in Tokyo.  The Mexican Chocolate is dark, rich, but not overly sweet and tastes as chocolate is intended to.  And I am a sucker for pies in a graham cracker crust.  The other pie shown is a maple custard that has right to be this good so far away from where maple comes from.

8. Sour Cream Raisin Pie - Crystal Café (South Sioux City, NE)

The food at this truck stop is generally average, but I could never visit Siouxland without a stop here just because of those pies.  The filling is a nice balance between sweet and sour with an impressively tall, frothy meringue, this is a pie that takes multiple diners to conquer.

7. Banana Cream Pie - Apple Pan (Los Angeles, CA)

The burgers here are really good and the old fashioned atmosphere is incredibly fun, but I will always think of the banana cream pie as the main reason for a visit. Fresh custard and a generous amount of sliced fruit, this is like the world's best banana pudding inside a pie crust.

6. Peppermint Patty Pie - Texan Café (Hutto, TX)

Who could resist a restaurant that has their own pie room?  Not me, that's for sure.  There are so many varieties of pie I tend to overthink what to do.  Being an unabashed mint lover, the Peppermint Patty pie usually is the top choice.  Love those big chunks of the candy mixed in with the soft, bright pink filling.

5. Honey Pie - Bang Bang Pie Shop (Chicago, IL)

Now we are getting into the truly great pies.  I was brought here by the living legend ChiTownDiner, which means just about every pie on the menu will get ordered.  That is not a complaint!  The best of our pie flight was the honey pie, a sweet custard pie topped with homemade whipped cream, raspberry coulit in a shortbread crust.  Other highlights included the Strawberries and Cream Pie and the Coffee Blondie, which is a coffee chess pie.

4. Banana Cream Pie - Coffee Cup Café (Sully, IA)

I have been told that Coffee Cup Café makes a sour cream raisin pie, but I have never had the pleasure.  In the meantime, we will have to settle for the best banana cream pie. Once again the ChiTownDiner was with us, so six different flavors of pies were ordered.  The Reese's peanut butter pie and fresh peach a la mode were both standouts, but that banana cream pie is a showstopper.  Fresh from the oven and still slightly warm, it is a smooth banana custard topped by the ideal, airy meringue.

3. Snowball Pie - Emporium Pies (Dallas, TX)

One visit in February and one in December meant that we only got to try the cold weather seasonal favorites.  The blueberries in the Blue Steel Pie weren't fresh, but that buttery, rugged crust is terrific.  And the tall apple pie known as Lord Of the Pies is always on the menu.  This was the first time we got to try the Snowball Pie, which is a light coconut custard pie, with a cream topping and a generous amount of toasted coconut.  This might be their best pie yet.

2. Brown Butter Coconut Chess Pie - Livin The Pie Life (Arlington, VA)

Right up front, I have to tell you that this place is expensive.  An 8" pie comes in at about $24.00 dollars, while the 4" inch mini pie will set you back $6.00.  But for this quality, I will gladly pay for it.  These people are masters of the crusts and every one we tried was perfectly flaky.  We mostly bought mini pies so we could try as many as we could.  Some of the highlights were a peanut butter in a Oreo cookie crust, a light, creamy pumpkin chiffon in a gingersnap crust, a gooey salted caramel chocolate chess and a brown butter coconut chess, with bits of coconut sprinkled on top.  MetroplexJim, you are going to love this place!

1. Sour Cream Raisin Pie - Lange's Café (Pipestone, MN)

Did not see this one coming at all.  On a previous visit here, the sour cream raisin tasted old.  Gummy filling, droopy disintegrating meringue, it was a major disappointment.  This time the custard filling struck that perfect balance between sweet and sour, maybe even leaning a little bit more to the sour, which is my preference.  And look at that meringue!  Just a magnificent slice of pie.  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/02/05 10:58:19
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/05 13:23:32 (permalink)
This is always my favorite portion of your write-up!  Love the reliving the places we visited together and seeing all the new places I want to visit!  And who could resist...The Lord of The Pies...my knees weaken!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/05 13:44:29 (permalink)
CTD-
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you enjoy an occasional slice of pie, too.

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/05 14:22:28 (permalink)
BB, Awesome job on your Y/E report as usual. Great photos and text. I hope the past's strife's have evened out.
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 628
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/05 23:23:15 (permalink)
Amazing!!!  Each and every one!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6173
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 00:09:33 (permalink)
I'm confused; you were in Chicago with ChiTownDiner, you went to Bang Bang Pie Shop but not Hoosier Mama Pies???  Or if you did get to HMP, they didn't have a single pie worthy of making your Best Of list?  Something just isn't adding up.  It's downright unamerican!  In fact, can we call that treason?  Yeah, I guess why not, let's say treason.

Nice list, nice photos.  Thanks as always.
Buddy
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 07:36:58 (permalink)
Buddy-
I begged and pleaded for a stop at Hoosier Mama, but he refused, calmly stating he thinks we have had too much pie already.  He also expressed his concern that he might get a reputation.

At least that's how I remember it.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 07:38:09 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq
Amazing!!!  Each and every one!

Much appreciated Lynn and thank you for pointing us in the right direction at Bright Star
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 07:39:07 (permalink)
Wintahaba
BB, Awesome job on your Y/E report as usual. Great photos and text. I hope the past's strife's have evened out.

I always appreciate your kind comments and contributions to this thread.  And yes, things have gotten better!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 08:00:53 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Buddy-
I begged and pleaded for a stop at Hoosier Mama, but he refused, calmly stating he thinks we have had too much pie already.  He also expressed his concern that he might get a reputation.

At least that's how I remember it.

To much crust, filling and topping makes the mind go bonkers and adversely effects memory.  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 15:20:12 (permalink)
The big event in 2017 for us was that Mariton and I finally got married.  It was a (whirlwind) ten year romance, but the time between us getting engaged and getting hitched was only a month and a half.  Since I already had a trip to New Mexico planned and the Land of Enchantment is my favorite state, this was the obvious location.  We were originally thinking of having the ceremony in Albuquerque, but quickly changed to Santa Fe since it is a more romantic, charming city.

The decision was made to keep the wedding party as small as possible, with Cousin Johnny flying in from Baltimore to be the best man and Mariton's Aunt Marivic coming all the way from Japan to be the maid of honor.  Unfortunately, neither of our mothers were able to make it due to health reasons and I was much more at ease knowing that my brother and sister would be at home looking after her.  We did hire an up and coming videographer out of Chicago, who also brought along his lovely wife.  One late addition was Mariton's Cousin Erika, who only returned to Los Angeles the day before from her own wedding in Taipei.  We weren't expecting her to be back in the USA so soon, but when I found out she could join us, I used some of my Southwest Airlines points and she was on a flight early the next morning.

As you can imagine, incorporating Roadfood into the wedding was a big part of the plan.  It was especially fun seeing how Marivic and Erika were going to react to New Mexican food, since they had never had it before.  Their first meal was at Mary & Tito's and there could not be a better place to indoctrinate someone to the local cuisine.  As you can see

Marivic heartily approved of her carne adovada!

There was going to be three planned meals as a group, with the first being dinner the night before the wedding at the upscale Santacafe

We wisely elected the ChiTownDiner to be the official table spokesman and before we knew it, just about every appetizer available (and a few that weren't) was ordered.  I knew we could count on him!  Unfortunately, Santacafe is very dark, so the food photos aren't the best.  My barramundi

over chimayo risotto was wonderful, but my vote for best at the table was Johnny's chile rellenos. 

I have never seen a version quite like this, as it had to be a least double in size of the typical rellenos.  Johnny has always had an uncanny knack for zeroing in on the best item on a menu.

For breakfast on our wedding day (December 1), we headed for the great Pasqual's.  We were the first ones in the door when they opened at 8:00AM and even though this restaurant is notoriously small, the communal table in the middle of the room was perfect for us.  As always, the food was a hit and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.  My Durango Omelet

is three organic eggs, rosemary ham, jack cheese, scallions, sour cream, guacamole, sautéed mushrooms and topped with red and green chile.  It just doesn't get much better than that!  Before we left, we had our waiter take a photo of the group.

My typical modus operandi in New Mexico is to stuff myself with as much great New Mexican food as possible, but with this being my wedding day, I was happy to relax around the hotel and take a long nap.  During this time, CTD and Cousin Johnny went out to a bakery and ate pie without me.  Nice friends, huh?

Unlike everything else in downtown Santa Fe, we had to drive to the magistrate's office.  Before we left, we had a hotel employee take a few group photos.

From left to right:  Marivic, Erika, Mariton, me, Johnny, Mrs. ChiTownDiner and CTD.

Arriving at the courthouse, we had to go through a metal detector.  How many of you have had to go through a metal detector to get married?  It is first come, first serve once you place your name with the lady at the window.  I was asked if we wanted the service in English or Spanish.  Although having the ceremony in a language none of us speak would add an element of fun, I did choose English.  At 3:00, they stop hearing court cases and each magistrate starts marrying people.  We were the fourth in line and after a short wait, were called into the court of Judge George Anaya, Jr.  The judge had a framed picture of Harry Truman, one of my biggest heroes from history, hanging on the wall.  I asked him about it and he made us try and guess why it was significant to him.  CTD and I made several guesses, but never did guess correctly.  This was still a good thing for me, as it kept my mind thinking about the reason we were there and helped calm my nerves.  From watching the video later, I could see Mariton was every bit as nervous.  Everything went off without a hitch and here we are with the judge afterwards.

For a post-wedding dinner, there could only be one place possible for a celebration, Santa Fe Bite!  We had arranged with owner Bonnie Eckre

the week before and she had a table ready for us.  Instead of a wedding cake, we had Bonnie bake a few of her delicious pies for us.  The apple pie had the bride and groom figurines,

while the cherry pie had a lone birthday candle, since this was also Cousin Johnny's birthday.  I felt bad that Johnny now has to share his birthday with our anniversary, but hopefully getting one of their famous green chile cheeseburgers as your birthday dinner

will make up for that.

CTD did an amazing job of not only videoing the ceremony on Facebook Live, so our friends and family at home could watch, but he made a series of funny videos of the different meals, applying for a marriage license, etc.  I can't thank him enough for not only flying out to New Mexico on such short notice, but now we will have those videos forever.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/02/07 12:56:25
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 373
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 15:50:37 (permalink)
Cliff and Mariton,

Best wishes and thank you for sharing your special day with us.

And, I agree about New Mexico, but for me it ties for number 1 with Maine!

Kind regards,

Karen
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 17:46:37 (permalink)
Congrats Cliff and Mariton. Thanks for sharing the Wedding and Best Wishes forever.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 18:40:51 (permalink)
Wonderful couple,  fun wedding, and terrific roadfood..............my very best to both of you!
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1372
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 18:46:00 (permalink)
BB, thanks for sharing your year in food and your special day with Mariton! May you have many more years of fun, food, and travel together!
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 628
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/06 19:26:54 (permalink)
What a wonderful wedding!  Congratulations to you and Mariton!
And oh...why was Harry Truman important to the judge?  Or did his answer just fly out of your head with the excitement of getting married?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/07 09:39:20 (permalink)

Congratulations to Mariton and you from Wafa and me.
May your life together continue to be a blessing for your both.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8505
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/07 10:44:11 (permalink)
Great touch including your wedding as part of the report, BB!

The Harry Truman question has me puzzled as well.  Maybe there's a WWII or Korea connection between him and Judge Anaya's grandfather?  I did poke around a little bit online and learned that Judge Anaya and his father are in a band together, and while that doesn't answer the question it's still pretty cool.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/07 11:17:05 (permalink)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the answer.  It's because President Truman also started his career as a County Judge.  The answer was so obvious, I was a little disappointed I didn't come up with it.  Let's see if Judge Anaya takes his career all the way to the White House.

ScreamingChicken-
Thanks for posting that.  He didn't come across as being the let's start a band type of guy, but you never know.  We liked him very much.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/07 11:19:03 (permalink)
Ivyhouse
Cliff and Mariton,

Best wishes and thank you for sharing your special day with us.

And, I agree about New Mexico, but for me it ties for number 1 with Maine!

Kind regards,

Karen

Thank you so much for the kind regards Karen.  We love Maine, too.  Mariton has never been to Acadia National Park before, so we are fixing that in June.  We plan on eating as many lobster rolls as we can get our hands on!

Thank you also to Greymo, MetroplexJim, will_work_4_bbq, Root-Beer Man and Wintahaba for the sincere best wishes.  It is very much appreciated!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/02/07 11:22:18
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11613
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/07 12:10:44 (permalink)
Congratulations!!!  Wishing you both much happiness, great health and good food!  
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10357
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/08 18:30:50 (permalink)
Wonderful news! Congratulations to you both!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re: My Year in Roadfood - 2017 2018/02/08 21:32:15 (permalink)
Congratulations to you both
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5