Helpful ReplyHot!My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1193
2019/07/30 17:58:28 (permalink)

My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019

I'm so fortunate to live not too far away from the Evanston branch of Hoosier Mama Pie. I generally post the pictures on Instagram, but thought I'd put them up here also.

March 14, Apple Sour Cherry and Coconut Cream. This was the first week of the CSO strike, so pie was a necessity. 

March 23. This is bittersweet, because it was my last visit with Gregg before he passed away. Cliff and Mariton were visiting and Gregg and Patti were taking them to some special places. We shared Chicken Tomatillo (the favorite of the group), Hoosier Sugar Cream (fantastic), Funfetti (like a birthday cake), and the unusual Blood Orange Meringue.

The group in anticipation.

April 14, the end of the fifth week of the strike. After a spectacularly miserable day in Chicago, with a late spring ice and snowstorm, I went for some peanut butter pie.

April 19, I had reading the menu of the Chicago location and seeing a Chocolate Peanut Butter Chess pie, it finally arrived at the Evanston store. Spectacular.

May 9, my friend and personnel manager John Deverman and I went for end of strike celebration pie a couple of weeks after the strike had ended. Apple Sour Cherry, Chocolate Cream and Hoosier Sugar Cream.

June 7, a visit from my girlfriend's sister meant another stop for pie. There were five of us and we split two flights of Key Lime, Lemon Chess and Sour Cream Dutch Rhubarb, plus a slice of Chocolate Cream. We also were given a gift from Mama herself, Paula Haney, two slices of an incredible Banana Custard.

June 15, after a visit to the Custer Street Fair, I walked the one block over to Hoosier Mama for a slice of Coconut Cream with Strawberries. 

June 25, Jeff Sanders and I got together for a slice of pie to toast the life of Gregg Pill. We shared slices of Chicken Tomatillo and BBQ Chicken savory pies (not pictured), and Apple Sour Cherry and White Chocolate Strawberry Cream pies.

June 29, to celebrate the last day of the 45th season with the CSO I stopped on the way to the concert for White Chocolate Strawberry Cream and Sour Cream Dutch Cherry. Both were incredible, but I couldn't finish them before the concert, so I took the leftovers and had them at the intermission of the concert.

July 5, for my 70th birthday I didn't have pie, but I did go to Hoosier Mama's and had a biscuit, and cherry turnover and a peanut butter brioche.

July 12, first fruit pie of the season, a wonderful Cherry Berry, sweet cherries, raspberries and strawberries.

Finger licking good.

July 17, first Blueberry Pie of the season (Evanston location).

July 18, another slice of Blueberry Pie.

July 19, I had pre-orderd a few small blueberry pies to pick up today and bring to a couple of friends. Of course I got one for myself as well.

July 24, fourth slice of Blueberry Pie for the season.

July 25, I went with a three of my CSO colleagues and we shared a flight of Red and Black Raspberry, Apple, and Chocolate Cream, plus slices of Banana Custard and Apple.

July 26, fifth blueberry pie of the season, this time a small pie so I could have some in the afternoon and some after my concert.

July 29, Sixth Blueberry and First Cherry pie of the season.

July 30, second Cherry Pie of the season.

That's it for now.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1497
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/30 18:28:14 (permalink)
I envy you the cherry pie. That's my favorite!

I was in Chicago just before the snowstorm hit in mid-April (it had already struck the Twin Cities), and had coconut cream pie on April 12 "in store," and bought a piece of sugar cream pie to take back to my hotel (which had a small refrigerator). The coconut cream pie tasted wonderful, but it was very "loose" -- in fact, so loose that the person who cut my initial slice decided it was "too loose" and discarded it.  The second wasn't much better in that respect, but I told her I'd eat it anyway.  In consistency, it resembled your slice of strawberry coconut cream as pictured above.  As I said, though, it was delicious to eat.

I had the sugar cream pie for breakfast the next morning.  It was good, but I suspect sitting overnight in my refrigerator did it no favors.  It really didn't compare with sugar cream pies I've had in Indianapolis and environs (Locally Grown Gardens in Broad Ripple, My Sugar Pie in Zionsville, or the late-lamented Laughner's Cafeteria which was what I grew up on).  But maybe it needs to be consumed on the spot to be fully appreciated. 
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 859
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/30 18:53:41 (permalink)
DAMNJUSTDAMN
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/30 19:10:59 (permalink)
rumaki
I envy you the cherry pie. That's my favorite!

I was in Chicago just before the snowstorm hit in mid-April (it had already struck the Twin Cities), and had coconut cream pie on April 12 "in store," and bought a piece of sugar cream pie to take back to my hotel (which had a small refrigerator). The coconut cream pie tasted wonderful, but it was very "loose" -- in fact, so loose that the person who cut my initial slice decided it was "too loose" and discarded it.  The second wasn't much better in that respect, but I told her I'd eat it anyway.  In consistency, it resembled your slice of strawberry coconut cream as pictured above.  As I said, though, it was delicious to eat.

I had the sugar cream pie for breakfast the next morning.  It was good, but I suspect sitting overnight in my refrigerator did it no favors.  It really didn't compare with sugar cream pies I've had in Indianapolis and environs (Locally Grown Gardens in Broad Ripple, My Sugar Pie in Zionsville, or the late-lamented Laughner's Cafeteria which was what I grew up on).  But maybe it needs to be consumed on the spot to be fully appreciated. 

If you notice, the March 14th coconut cream looks completely different than the June 15th coconut cream with strawberries. For some reason the June slice was the same much looser texture that you had on April 12th. I don't know why, although I know I imagine that like many other things, the pies can depend on who actually makes them, the temperature, the condition of the ingredients and things like that. My slice from March 14th was one of the best slices of coconut cream pie I've ever had.

I imagine that the sugar cream pie would have been better in the store. I've never had sugar cream pie anywhere else, and I've always loved it.
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/30 19:11:19 (permalink)
chickenplucker
DAMNJUSTDAMN

You're welcome any time!

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3679
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/30 23:37:54 (permalink)
Let me know when you locate a fresh nectarine cream pie. They're very difficult to find and the last one I found was in Portland, OR at Random Order Pie Bar. https://www.yelp.com/biz/random-order-pie-bar-portland-2?osq=Best+Pie
CSD
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 02:03:25 (permalink)
I'll bet if you mentioned Nectarine Cream Pie to Paula Haney, she'd take it as a challenge and create one to add to the summer menu.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 08:18:40 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
I'll bet if you mentioned Nectarine Cream Pie to Paula Haney, she'd take it as a challenge and create one to add to the summer menu.

Buddy

I have a fleeting recollection that maybe she's had pies with nectarines in previous years. I'll probably be back eventually (like today??) and if I see her I'll ask.

David

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 991
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 08:53:48 (permalink)
Beautiful photos, David.  And nice to see them enjoyed with friends.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12594
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 09:41:23 (permalink)
David, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  You are my hero!  

Beautiful pie photos and it was a pleasure to see you again, especially over pie.
phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 1085
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 10:09:04 (permalink)
This is a devastating report. It's devastating because there is no place like that anywhere near me.

Love the photos.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10300
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 13:39:08 (permalink)
phlmaestro
This is a devastating report. It's devastating because there is no place like that anywhere near me.

Love the photos.

My words exactly!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 15:42:13 (permalink)
phlmaestro

Not trying to be a jerk, but we've got three of them.  Hoosier Mama, Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits, and Spinning J Bakery and Soda Fountain make up the Pie Triangle, as ChiTownDiner used to call it.  Plus, Hoosier Mama and Bang Bang have two locations each, so I guess it's more of a misshapen pentagon.

Come to Chicago and eat Pie!  You'll have no shortage of tour guides.

Buddy
phlmaestro
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 16:27:30 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
phlmaestro

Not trying to be a jerk, but we've got three of them.  Hoosier Mama, Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits, and Spinning J Bakery and Soda Fountain make up the Pie Triangle, as ChiTownDiner used to call it.  Plus, Hoosier Mama and Bang Bang have two locations each, so I guess it's more of a misshapen pentagon.

Come to Chicago and eat Pie!  You'll have no shortage of tour guides.

Buddy

Thanks. I'll eventually get back there. I was in Chicago in 2008, but I had to cut the trip short due to a death in my wife's family. I didn't have any pie. I think the roadfood-type places where I ate were the Billygoat Tavern, the Tempo Cafe, one of the Original Pancake Houses reviewed on here, and a deep-dish pizza place (can't remember the name).
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 17:02:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby phlmaestro 2019/07/31 17:31:14
Let us know if you're planning a return trip.  We can take good care of you.

Buddy
phlmaestro
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 20:26:58 (permalink)
Thanks, Buddy.

I'll talk with my wife about it. We have been planning going somewhere down South for our major trip of 2020, but maybe we can delay that a year. We have said we want to eventually get back to Chicago. We usually travel in September, but I'd want to make sure I'm there for a good CSO concert and would be willing to hold off until October for that (my taste in music is as specific as my taste in food). If it doesn't happen next year, then I'm sure it can be arranged in one of the next few years.

By the way, I'll probably have sugar-cream pie on this year's trip. as we're going to Indiana. We have friends there and go every few years. I always try to have a slice of sugar-cream when we're there. 
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/07/31 20:30:53
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/07/31 20:58:16 (permalink)
phlmaestro
...We have said we want to eventually get back to Chicago. We usually travel in September, but I'd want to make sure I'm there for a good CSO concert and would be willing to hold off until October for that (my taste in music is as specific as my taste in food).

You've got an inside source for the CSO's schedule.  You can get the straight dope from Davidsanders, CSO cellist extraordinaire.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 01:23:22 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
phlmaestro
...We have said we want to eventually get back to Chicago. We usually travel in September, but I'd want to make sure I'm there for a good CSO concert and would be willing to hold off until October for that (my taste in music is as specific as my taste in food).

You've got an inside source for the CSO's schedule.  You can get the straight dope from Davidsanders, CSO cellist extraordinaire.

Buddy

The CSO concerts for September and October are:

September 19, 20: Riccardo Muti, conductor. Mendelssohn Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage Overture, Grieg Piano Concerto (Leif One Andsnes, pianist), Scriabin Reverie and Shostakovich Symphony No. 6.

September 26, 27, 28: Riccardo Muti, conductor. Beethoven Consecration of the House Overture, Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 3.

October 3, 4, 5: James Gaffigan, conductor. Doman Eternal Rhythm (US premiere of percussion concerto with our principal percussionist Cynthia Yeh) and Shostakovich Symphony No. 8.

October 10, 11, 12: Kirill Karabits, conductor. Prokofiev Overture on Hebrew Themes, Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No. 1 (Sunwook Kim, pianist), Mendelssohn Capriccio brilliant, and Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra.

October 17, 18, 19, 20: Julian Rachlin, conductor and violinist. Vivaldi Four Seasons, Mozart Divertimento K. 136, and Piazzolla/Desyatnikov The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires.

October 24, 25, 26, 29: David Afkham, conductor. Haydn Symphony No. 44, Strauss Death and Transfiguration, and Brahms Symphony No. 3.

David
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 01:38:56 (permalink)
Geez, I hope you were able to copy and paste all that.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 01:39:30 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Geez, I hope you were able to copy and paste all that.

Buddy

Nope. I took it from our schedule book.

will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 08:41:01 (permalink)
Fabulous!!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 09:21:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2019/08/01 10:21:38
Davidsanders

I had no idea your nickname is "Blueberry".
phlmaestro
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 10:06:58 (permalink)
Davidsanders
BuddyRoadhouse
phlmaestro

Buddy

The CSO concerts for September and October are:

September 19, 20: Riccardo Muti, conductor. Mendelssohn Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage Overture, Grieg Piano Concerto (Leif One Andsnes, pianist), Scriabin Reverie and Shostakovich Symphony No. 6.

September 26, 27, 28: Riccardo Muti, conductor. Beethoven Consecration of the House Overture, Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 3.

October 3, 4, 5: James Gaffigan, conductor. Doman Eternal Rhythm (US premiere of percussion concerto with our principal percussionist Cynthia Yeh) and Shostakovich Symphony No. 8.

October 10, 11, 12: Kirill Karabits, conductor. Prokofiev Overture on Hebrew Themes, Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No. 1 (Sunwook Kim, pianist), Mendelssohn Capriccio brilliant, and Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra.

October 17, 18, 19, 20: Julian Rachlin, conductor and violinist. Vivaldi Four Seasons, Mozart Divertimento K. 136, and Piazzolla/Desyatnikov The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires.

October 24, 25, 26, 29: David Afkham, conductor. Haydn Symphony No. 44, Strauss Death and Transfiguration, and Brahms Symphony No. 3.

David

Thank you, David. But I couldn't do it until next year, and I know that schedule won't be out until January or February.
By the way, I saw David Afkham conduct Brahms' Symphony No. 1 here in Philadelphia last season and enjoyed it.

If I were able to make it this year, I'd probably want to go for the Shostakovich eighth, which is a favorite of mine, or the Beethoven program with Muti. The first classical concert I attended, back in the 80s, was an all-Beethoven program with Muti on the podium.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/08/01 10:13:23
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12594
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 14:52:55 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

As much as I love the pie shops you have mentioned, the pies at Baker Miller don't take a backseat to anyone.

Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 18:11:56 (permalink)
buffetbuster
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

As much as I love the pie shops you have mentioned, the pies at Baker Miller don't take a backseat to anyone.

I need to give them another try.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/01 23:01:16 (permalink)
Davidsanders
buffetbuster
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

I need to give them another try.

I've got some time in the early part of next week...

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/03 20:32:34 (permalink)
Continuing this thread, I was back again today.

I took two from column A.

The cherry.

The crust was fantastic as always.

The blueberry.

Because Photobucket doesn't work with videos, I can't post the short video of the owner, Paula Haney, putting whipped cream on both of my pieces. When I asked for some, the person helping me said they didn't have any. Luckily, Paula had been working at the front and heard the conversation and told me she would make me some. Here is the result.

I'm assuming there will be more to come!

phlmaestro
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/03 21:31:54 (permalink)
The crust with the cherry pie looks great.

Vanilla cream with black raspberry sounds like my kind of pie-flavor.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/08/03 21:36:53
Davidsanders
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/03 21:36:47 (permalink)
phlmaestro
That crust looks great.

I've had her vanilla cream strawberry and it is fantastic.

phlmaestro
Re: My visits to Hoosier Mama Pie Spring and Summer, 2019 2019/08/03 21:37:47 (permalink)
Davidsanders
phlmaestro
That crust looks great.

I've had her vanilla cream strawberry and it is fantastic.

Is the vanilla cream like the sort of custard you'd find in a Boston Cream Pie?
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5