Helpful ReplyHot!NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath)

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6654
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/07 12:52:25 (permalink)
As the season opens let me utter words of praise for a man I usually mock, Dan Snyder.

Yes, I write here to PRAISE The Dan Man, the Danster, the Man from Danstinia, the tiny nocturnal lumberjack, the Midget Megalomaniac.

The story of how a$$ kissing, jock sniffing little Danny, a young P.R. guy (i.e., B.S. Artist), slithered first into control, then ownership of the Redskins is a true inspiration to all young con artists, street hustlers, and shysters.  But that is a story for another day, for today I come to praise him.

Why?  Because the Washington Redskins are still the Washington Redskins!

In these days when lawless mobs of mindless iconoclasts roam the country ripping down statues and rioting for name changes, the Redskins are still the Redskins.

This is remarkable especially in that the combined forces of political correctness have been marshalled in a relentless campaign against little Danny and his trademark for more than a decade.  Yes, every pander-bot politico, every"civil rights" organization joined legions of columnists, editorial writers, and talking heads across nearly all media to rain down withering condemnation and calumny on Little Danny. 

But, against this onslaught, he and his phalanx of attorneys stood as strong and determined as the Spartans at Thermopylae.  Until, finally, the President of the United States of America and his Patent and Trademark Office stepped in and voided Danny's exclusive trademark rights, dealing a literal death blow in the form of an unassailable  bureaucratic edict.

Bloody but unbowed, little Danny bravely appealed to the Federal Court.  But it was a bad day in Danstinia as the bureaucratic edict was upheld in the Eastern District of Virginia - conveniently, and literally, right next door to the Patent and Trademark Office in Alexandria, VA.

So there Danny was, lying on the courtroom floor with sucking chest wounds and surrounded by hordes of politically correct hyenas signaling their virtue with yelps and high-fives ... but WAIT ! 

The movie doesn't end there!

Earlier, it seems that an Asian boy band out of Portland had wanted to trade as "The Slants" and were denied that right by the same bureaucrats that had, for much the same reason, scalped the Midget Megalomaniac and his Deadskins. 

The Asian lads felt that their First Amendment Rights had been trifled with by some lowly, faceless bureaucrats and took them to court.  (I can only guess that all the way out in Portland they couldn't see that these bureaucrats  2,700 miles away in Alexandria, VA were, in fact, God-like). 

Of course, the lads lost in the virtue-signaling District and Appellate Courts of the Left Coast; undaunted, they appealed to the Supreme Court where even RBG, Kagan, and the Wise Latina sided with the lads!  The bureaucrats lost 8-0 with Gorsuch abstaining as he had not sat for the arguments.

This precedent-setting decision healed Danny's sucking wounds much like Sean Connery's were healed  by water poured from the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade!  They really should make a movie of this!

The story is not quite over, but the P.C. hyenas are chastened and silent. 
After all, precedent is precedent. 
God Bless the United States of America!

And, Hail to the Redskins

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/09/26 16:08:44
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/07 13:24:34 (permalink)
I miss the wacko Jack Kent Cooke...and RFK Stadium that would literately shake.
Opening year 1961 as District of Columbia Stadium.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8009
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/08 09:00:39 (permalink)
And the Patriots' perfect season is off and rolling!

In the above photo I see a Ford wagon, a '59 Chevy, a '59-60 Buick, a '60 Chevy, a '61 Chevy wagon, a '58-60 T-Bird, and a '61 Pontiac...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/09/08 09:03:52
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/08 09:58:04 (permalink)
I'd take any car in that lot...especially the wagons.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/08 12:55:48 (permalink)
Wintahaba
I miss the wacko Jack Kent Cooke...and RFK Stadium that would literately shake.
Opening year 1961 as District of Columbia Stadium.

Me, too!

I lived in the D.C. media market from 1969 to 2005 and Redskins games in that stadium were unbelievable. - the ultimate home field advantage that makes by comparison today's K.C. and Seattle seem like Quaker Meetings!

Oh, and Jack Kent Cooke, 'the Squire' - what a piece of work he was!  His megalomania set a new standard, even in a city full of such.  And what a joy it was to follow the outrageously indiscreet indiscretions of his penultimate trophy wife, Marlene.

And let's not forget that his quirky will screwed his son, JKC, Jr. and let that scheming little scamp slither his way into control, then ownership of the Redskins.

Karma was served when the Danster's first act was to sell the naming rights to Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.  I can't blame him, though; the loan sharks were circling.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/10 15:07:01 (permalink)
One of the funniest things I ever heard in high school was uttered by a farm boy.  When the math teacher chasened him for not knowing an answer he said, "At least I know that you don't step on a cow pie even if the top is dry."  Of course 'you had to be there'.  (BTW: today, Mike owns a chain of J. I. Case dealerships).

Even though it was 55 years ago Mike's comment came to mind in thinking about this Ezekiel Elliott mess.

It seems that Mr. Elliott, then a "scholar-athlete" in the employ of gaining his higher education at THEE Ohio State University, and his pure-as-the-driven-snow girlfriend had an energetic exchange - about Scripture, no less: Genesis 19 - that got a little kinetic when she sided with Yahweh.  The result was a little light bruising that resulted from the young innocent being restrained, but no blows were struck.

The matter was investigated by the proper authorities; as no complaint was made and no blows were struck, no charges were brought.  Afterwards, Mr. Elliott's employer coach did not discipline the young scholar in any way. 

The lovebirds remained as a couple and were in fact together when the Dallas Cowboys made him their #1 selection in the 2016 NFL Draft.  Mr. Elliott went on to have a highly successful season and, despite a few 'boyz will be boyZ' "incidents" had a fairly smooth (by Cowboy standards) integration into his new community.

The cow pie looked dry.  Urban Meyer and the Columbus police had set up fans to aid the drying process.  The 'Ol Parole Officer put it under the exhaust of his G-5! 

But Roger Goodell, the $40,000,000.00 man, just had to step on it.  Hell, he was practically forced to by the incessant chatter of the virtue-signaling politically correct that shared his bubble, voices as far away as Bristol, CT!  So the clueless empty suit launched a full-blown investigation of a matter that had been closed and nearly forgotten.  Then, despite the fact that the investigation's result was somewhat indeterminate, didn't do the rational thing - to assess a two or three game suspension that most likely would have been served grudgingly, but with little complaint.  No, Goodell had to go full Judge Roy Bean and slap the miscreant with six.  Those in the bubble (mostly Giants & Jets fans) nodded and clapped in approval. 

Well, this raised the ire of both Hall-of-Fame owner Jerry Jones and the NFLPA.  So now that cow pie, instead of baking in the withering Texas sun, is literally being slung and smeared into a "Federal Case" and ...

Now, "it" all spills out - the "it" being Ezekiel Elliot's drug and alcohol-soaked high-end life-style rife with sodomy whilst in the employ of matriculating at THEE Ohio State University and (evidently) masquerading as a financially struggling "scholar-athlete" - or, perhaps, a "trust fund baby"

Ouch!
Oops! 

Urban Meyer, the Columbus Police, and recent Canton-inductee Jerry Jones are unavailable for further comment:

To be fair to OSU, I don't think it's any worse (or better) there than at any other "big-time" school, but I am damn sure that it horrifies them to see this pervasive "sub-culture" exposed. 

And you know that HoF'er Jones knew precisely what he was getting; I'll bet Elliott was introduced to his new "body man" on draft day.

The Dallas Morning News has published the court documents in this whole sordid mess.  
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/01/read-ezekiel-elliotts-lawsuit-including-full-interview-accuser-nfl-report 

It turns out that HBO's documentary on the NFL is not "Hard Knocks", it's "Ballers".  In any case, Elliott will be playing every game this year and the rank hypocrisy of both the NFL and NCAA Division 1 has been exposed - all thanks to Goodell stepping on the cow pie.

Maybe they should stop playing the National Anthem at NFL and NCAA football games.

EDIT:  It's time the NFL fires that fatuous jackass and hires Condoleezza Rice. 
They'd better act fast, before Yahweh steps in!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/09/10 18:18:21
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/18 09:25:04 (permalink)
Well, I listened to about half an hour of the Steelers on their internet "station"; .

And, I watched a few minutes of the Cowboys gasping for air in Denver.  When will teams start getting to Denver as far in advance of the game as is possible?  Soccer teams do this before playing in Mexico City, Quito, or La Paz.  Are NFL trainers brain dead?

And, I hear that the "protests" have now moved from the sideline to the field of play.  When will Roger Goodell grasp the significance of Michael Jordan's comment that 'white people and republicans buy sneakers, too'?  In the meantime, I can only .
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/20 11:12:32 (permalink)
Being a STEELERs fan living in Dallas, I really have to laugh at the local sports stations and columnists utter and write such stinging, bitter recrimination over the COWGIRLS losing to Denver in Denver.

Altitude aside, they had a bad game that was poorly coached.  But none of that is noted.  Instead, there are frenzied attempts to assign blame, with the assigner-in-chief being the Head Coach and Princeton graduate, Jason Garrett - Jerry's Boy who is easily exasperated by Jerry's Boyz.

He runs Elliott nine times for eight yards, gives up, and calls an aerial circus from a non-aerial circus QB.  Then he blames Zeke "Feed me!" Elliott for the loss!  And while the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals is contemplating his future, the future Huntsville resident is behaving badly.  Yikes!   

Bill Cowher is laughing his a$$ off!  I wonder how much Jones would have to pay him to clean up this poisonous culture.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/20 13:23:37 (permalink)
Unless he invested all his savings in pager stocks and Myspace, there's not enough money in existence to get Cowher to do that.  The next coach will most likely be someone who needs a job because no one needs that job.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/22 09:09:41 (permalink)
Whatever happened to...Rashard Mendenhall?

He gave up football for Hollywood, that's what.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/23 10:38:05 (permalink)
Let's say that a sincere, committed vegan and PETA member works at McDonald's. 

Would McDonald's permit that employee to "preach" his beliefs to McDonald's customers while on McDonald's clock, on McDonald's premises, and while wearing a McDonald's uniform?

Would McDonald's prohibiting such behavior while wearing a company uniform on company time & company premises "violate" the employee's First Amendment rights? 

Certainly not; the employee remains perfectly free on his own time and wearing his own clothes to preach and assemble with his fellow PETA members - and do so to his heart's content.

Exactly why is this commonsense principle so difficult for the $40,0000,000.00 empty suit and several NFL owners to understand?  
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/24 11:41:42 (permalink)
What is more valuable: all of Coca-Cola's bottling plants & other physical assets or their Trademark(s)?  FedEx Field + the Redskins' offices & training facilities or the Redskins' franchise and Trademark rights?

I saw a remarkable video the other day where Stephan Curry, noted only for his skills with a basketball and generally acknowledged as a 'good kid', called the President "an ass". 

The remarkable thing was not what Mr. Curry said; in fact, I have called him that myself on several occasions.  The remarkable thing was that Mr. Curry did that in his employer's media area emblazoned with Golden State Warriors, Nike, and Oracle trademarked logos.  He was wearing a team jersey and I assume he was wearing his own trademarked Under Armor shoes and 'gear'.

For all I know the owners of those trademarks could well agree with their employee's comments, but, in a financial sense, they can be none too happy that their trademarks are now associated with them.  Regarding Mr. Curry's First Amendment Rights, there is airtime aplenty available to him on nearly every late night, sports, or cable news network show.   Just put on a suit and go!  That way, only his own brand is on display.

Returning to the NFL, contemplate this:

Any irony here?

For years, in order to develop its "brand", the NFL has wrapped itself in "the Flag".  Flyovers are real crowd pleasers.  Armed Forces Recruiting and the NFL are synergistic partners, so the NFL doesn't get a bill for spectaculars such as this - all part of a joint marketing program:

And my personal favorite - a plane that costs more than any NFL Franchise!

And now that fatuous, clueless, self-unaware $40,000,000.00 boy-in-the-bubble stands idly by whilst temporary millionaire employees pi$$ all over the premises!  Paging Dr. Rice!

-------------------

A final word to Mr. Goodell: Galatians 6:7 

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/24 12:23:42 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5024
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/25 19:53:18 (permalink)
Let's make this food related. Supper Clubs for Bear's fans heading to Green Bay. There are some on that I might even try.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5392
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/25 20:14:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MilwFoodlovers 2017/09/26 20:57:06
A nice trick to equate union members making big bucks under contracts agreed to by owners and players with hourly fast food workers.
And a minor point, except it is the only one, the original protest by Mr. Kapernik concerned the shooting of unarmed black folks by the Police.

All you wingnuts in need of another issue to forment hate and division have mutated this into a (fake) issue of whether blacks are unpatriotic. The good news is I don't think it'll work this time because ya'all overplayed your hand. I'd imagine you'll discount Popovitch's and Kerr's statements too.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5392
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/25 20:14:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MilwFoodlovers 2017/09/26 20:57:22
A nice trick to equate union members making big bucks under contracts agreed to by owners and players with hourly fast food workers.
And a minor point, except it is the only one, the original protest by Mr. Kapernik concerned the shooting of unarmed black folks by the Police.

All you wingnuts in need of another issue to forment hate and division have mutated this into a (fake) issue of whether blacks are unpatriotic. The good news is I don't think it'll work this time because ya'all overplayed your hand. I'd imagine you'll discount Popovitch's and Kerr's statements too.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/26 10:37:57 (permalink)
Wow, No name calling....also...it's Kaepernick.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/26 12:55:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wintahaba 2017/09/26 13:20:22
1bbqboy

An analogy is not an equation.

And please know that the 1st. Amendment constrains only Congress, not (inter alia) employers. 

No employee, be they an $8/hr. burger flipper or a $25MM/year QB, possess any "right" to communicate or behave as they wish while "on the job" - i.e., on the employer's premises, on the employer's clock, or at any time while wearing the employer's uniform. 

Off the clock, off the premises, and out of uniform the employee may say and do whatever he pleases; he is free to do so because Congress is Constitutionally forbidden to make any law prohibiting such!

Entrepreneurs take risks.  Successful ones build profitable enterprises.  in doing so the entrepreneur must produce a product or service which the general public deems worthy of voluntary  purchase.  Jobs are created, profits are made, and taxes are paid to support a civil society in which this process is possible. 

Highly successful enterprises like Apple, Disney, Coca-Cola, and yes - NFL Football, build brands.  And not only the heirs of the original entrepreneur, but stockholders, foundations, charities, and hundreds of thousands of employees, vendors, and contractors have livelihoods dependent on the continuing success of the brand.  Oh, and let's not forget the local, state, and Federal governments which are also dependent on the tax revenues which flow from the brand's activities.

All the silliness and emotion from this NFL "cluster" aside, can the Disney heirs, Disney stockholders, Disney employees, and Disney vendors - regardless of their personal feelings - be any too happy with ESPN's ratings plummet or the Johnny Deep meltdown before his latest "Pirate" movie lost over $100,000,000 and killed the franchise?

Is that an analogy that 'works' for you? 

1bbqboy

Ah yes, perhaps unintentionally, you have brought up a subject worthy of some further analysis:  Mr. Kaepernick's  conduct.

Many of "The famous" have their own "personal brand" apart from any brand that may employ them.  This is as true of Morgan Freeman and Quentin Tarantino as it is of LeBron and Jordan Speith.  And to a far lesser extent it was and is true of Colin Kaepernick.

If he was so moved to be a Social Justice Warrior why didn't he take off his '49er uniform, put on his Che Guevara t-shirt and go to most any T.V. or radio studio in the Bay Area.  Away from the '49er's field, locker & media rooms he could have exercised his 1st. Amendment rights to his heart's content.  And doubtless, ESPN and other national media would replay and applaud his comments. 

Had he done that he may have lost a few endorsements, but he would still be playing - a local hero in his market.  His employer and the NFL wouldn't have said a word or lifted a finger against him.  After all, he was just exercising his 1st. Amendment right! 

And given the Bay Area, who knows - maybe he would even have made money from his Constitutionally-guaranteed "free-exercise".  But, no.  He had to (defecate) in his own nest, something even birds with their tiny bird-brains have better sense than to do.

Another verse come to mind here, Proverbs 11:29.

1bbqboy

Honestly, I don't know who 'Popovitch' and 'Kerr' are or care what pearls of truth and wisdom issued from their fundaments.

What I do know is that the NFL has been wrapping itself in the American Flag for decades and has been EXPLOITING that precious "brand" - owned by every American - to build its own. 

In a cynical, unrelenting campaign for pecuniary gain they have pandered to their key demographic, the target for those endless commercials for garish pick-up trucks, beer, unhealthy snacks, and erectile dysfunction remedies.

Now thanks to the rank incompetence of the Gutless Goodell the scales are falling from the eyes of that target audience.  Finally, the 'masses' see clearly now that the Color Guards, 'celebrity' Anthem singers, field-size flags, and taxpayer-funded flyovers for what they truly are - a cynical EXPLOITATION of the Flag for pecuniary gain. 

That sorry "show" in Phoenix last night made me gag.  Jerry Jones wasn't on his knee to "show unity"; he was begging to keep his $billion$.  In fact, Hosea 8:7 comes to mind.

1bbqboy
All you wingnuts in need of another issue to forment hate and division have mutated this into a (fake) issue of whether blacks are unpatriotic.

"Calling names" is no substitute for rational discourse.  That tactic - employed by Lenin to produce his "useful idiots" and recommended by Alinsky as a strategy for his radical acolytes to throttle rational debate - has been overused so much that even the dim-witted now see through it.  If you are going to call me something, try "insufferable, condescending know-it-all".  That's what I get occasionally in a PM.

The same can be said for seeing everything through a racial or tribal prism.  The race card has been played so many times that it has worn out.  It no longer elicits the tropistic response "I am not a racist because ...".    

As for 'fomenting racial division' ... that's classic Jungian projection, or, in other words, "He who smelt it, dealt it".

BTW: in case anyone is wondering why I bother to write posts such as this, I do it to refine my thoughts for lectures and speeches I give later and actually get paid for.

--------------------------

Honestly, 1bbqboy, I suspect that we agree more than we disagree.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/26 14:43:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bwruland 2017/09/26 22:13:46
Oh, BTW ...

As this whole kerfuffle is about temporary employees abusing the employer's long-standing, successful brands, one might be interested my post #61 above regarding the lengths to which one owner, Dan Snyder, went to protect his brand.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/09/26 15:45:19
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22598
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/26 16:01:02 (permalink)
MetroplexJim,

Speaking as a fellow insufferable, condescending know-it-all I'm glad you end up making money from your efforts here because your post was directed at someone who feels rather than thinks.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/26 17:01:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Glenn1234 2017/09/26 21:25:02
Michael Hoffman
MetroplexJim,

Speaking as a fellow insufferable, condescending know-it-all I'm glad you end up making money from your efforts here because your post was directed at someone who feels rather than thinks.

Oh, you mean like most every students today?

Unfortunately, that mind-set affliction is metastatic and, sadly, it is reinforced at taxpayer expense in today's public schools.

Frankly, they could not care less if they are on the road to Hell, so long as they feel that it is paved with good intentions.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/09/30 13:54:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bwruland 2017/10/01 19:49:55
Like most, I often wonder just what the heck is DJT up to when he "goes over the top" with some of his pronouncements as he did with his 'fire the s.o.b.'s!' comment.

This time I figured it out; the comment served the same purpose as:

The matter was "brought to a head" and lanced.

Beginning with the Thursday night game, everyone stood for the Flag and the Anthem.  I have a hunch that such conduct will be metastatic and the "drama" will be over.

Those that feel strongly about a necessity to "protest" - and who also can articulate a rationale for such may, properly, freely express their views in any media open to broadcasting or publishing such; presently, that would be all media. 

As they would be doing this in civilian clothes and thus be representing only their personal "brand", not that of their employer, this would be a wholly appropriate exercise of their rights under the First Amendment and I will applaud the courage of those who pursue such a course.

----------------------------

re: courage...

The greatest, most well-known athlete of my lifetime was Muhammad Ali.  When he passed he was also the most beloved.  I guess that one has to be my age (69) or older to remember that this was not always so.

There is a minute of this video (8:20 - 9:20) which will shock many as the young champion and his opponent, a mob-connected, convicted felon, are introduced.

Looking back, following his convictions took breath-taking courage, defending them extracted a staggering price: his title, his livelihood, his prime fighting years (25 - 29), and ultimately his health.  He could have moved anywhere in the world and the fights would have come to him.  But, remarkably, he chose to remain an American.  

After his return, even with diminished skills, he fought some of the greatest fights in boxing history.  Tragically though, pride and economic necessity led him to continue fighting until he was but a shadow of himself at age 39.  Had he submitted to society's wishes he most likely would have retired undefeated, his health intact, five years before he did.

Years later I - along with the American Nation - gasped and wept in joy when he lit the Olympic flame in Atlanta.  The whole world mourned his passing.

More than anything else, I celebrate his courage.  And his Americanism.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/09/30 15:35:39
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/05 10:34:09 (permalink)
Finally, back to football ...

As a Steeler fan living in Dallas I am endlessly entertained by the bi-polar, hysterical, and utterly dysfunctional relationship between the Cowboys and their fans.  After any loss the rush to assign blame is an absolute frenzy and the stench of recrimination hangs as a pall over the city.

The truly hilarious part is that the fickle finger of blame always seems to be pointed in the wrong direction. 

They lose to the Rams 30 - 35 and the freaking offense is blamed!  (I'm very happy when the Steelers put 30 points on the board).

Elliott gains 9 yards in his first 8 carries vs. Denver's weak run defense and Jason Garrett, the Pride of Princeton, pushes the panic button, throws the game-plan out, and calls for an aerial circus from a second-year QB who is not equipped to ringmaster such.  And the blame goes to ... Elliott!  Yes, Ginger-Boy actually called him out in the post-game press conference! 

(I remember many games in which Franco or The Bus got off to slow starts.  Emperor Chaz and Cowher would keep feeding them the ball and 9 times out of 10, good things would happen.  And when they didn't the Coach would assign the blame to himself, then "confer" with the players behind closed doors.  It's called Grace.).

I know that Green Bay will come into the DeathStar this Sunday and kick the Cowboyz a$$ real proper.  Good Lord, it will make the players pray for a hurricane!  
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5024
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/05 11:27:46 (permalink)
MetroJim - I read an article online this weekend about Iron Mike's (Webster, not Tyson) training philosophy written by his son. You may find it interesting.

JRP
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/05 13:31:40 (permalink)
JRPfeff
MetroJim - I read an article online this weekend about Iron Mike's (Webster, not Tyson) training philosophy written by his son. You may find it interesting.

JRP

Thanks. 
I didn't think he was born with that neck and those arms.
R.I.P., Mike.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/10/05 13:32:42
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/09 11:38:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bwruland 2017/10/11 12:07:53
More than any other individuals Ed Sabol and his son Steve built the "brand" of the NFL.  That the $40,000,000.00/year well-coiffed Empty Suit is pi$$ing it all away must have them spinning in their graves. 

Hell, even Barney Fife would have known what to do the minute that idiot first took a knee!

And now the spineless Boy in the Bubble is being trolled by a guy with a bigger Twitter following than the Pope!  They better hope that he doesn't sic the FTC and the IRS on them!  

Maybe the NFL should have thought twice before denying him a franchise.  Say what you want about the man, he sure can keep a grudge!

When will the owners wake up, smell the coffee, fire that fatuous stiff, and hire the esteemed Dr. Rice?  Even The Washington Post would applaud.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/11 10:47:39 (permalink)
Oh my, Roger Empty-Suit woke up, wet his finger and held it in the wind ... but he didn't exactly screw his courage to the sticking place:

"Players should stand for the Anthem ... or may remain in the locker room or tunnel".

What a truly weak little weasel he is.  Before ignoring Lady Macbeth's famous advice, perhaps he should have read and taken to heart Revelation 3:16

The bottom line is that he didn't take Barney Fife's advice either and "nip it in the bud" upon the first violation of the NFL Handbook's rule for "Anthem Conduct".  And he is reaping the whirlwind.  And I am "LMAO".

-----------------------

EDIT:  In fairness, a word about the players; presently, the NFLPA is insisting that "Taking a knee for the Anthem is not disrespecting the Flag".  Sure, just like urinating in public is not uncouth or unsanitary.  Saying so does not make it so.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/10/11 15:37:48
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3467
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/11 21:15:58 (permalink)
Where does the flag come into this? To paraphrase you, trump saying so does not make it so.
post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2017/10/11 21:19:07
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/12 12:16:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wintahaba 2017/10/12 13:07:51
MilwFoodlovers
Where does the flag come into this? To paraphrase you, trump saying so does not make it so.

Since you asked ... the first ten seconds of this Official NFL video will answer your question and the remainder will provide vivid illustration:

The first NFL game I ever went to was in 1959 - the Steelers v. Lions at Forbes Field.  Only 24,000 of the 35,000 seats were filled.  Few in attendance wore any "NFL Gear".  The broadcast was radio only.  The Anthem was played from the same scratchy record the Pirates used, no color guard, no band, no singer, no flyover.

Since, Rozelle and the Sabols built the NFL "Brand" partly by wrapping it in the Flag and making the whole "NFL Experience" a literal spectacle with a strong dose of tribal affinity.  And, in doing so they appealed to the sport's prime demographic - primarily white males in possession of discretionary income and leisure time.

As to the President ... let me put forth three readily observable, non-political, non-partisan facts.  And I do so solely to explain his actions in this regard.

1) Before he took his fling at politics his basic business was building the "Trump Brand" by slapping his brand name on everything from office towers, to hotels, to apartments, to casinos, to golf courses, to wine.

2)  He knows "the NFL Demographic".  After all, they are the same folk that patronize his casinos, resorts, and golf courses.  And all the pollsters agree that they are in most part the same folk who elected him.

3)  And, simply observation and supposition on my part... All along I have observed that he mentions the Flag more than any other politician or President in my memory.  My supposition is that he regards the Flag as "the American Brand" - a symbol, a 'logo' for the U.S.A. as much as the distinctive script and contour bottle are for Coca Cola.  And, like Coca Cola's lawyers, he will attack with ferocity any of what he construes to be misuse of "the brand" he believes presently to be in his care.

Note again, I am simply trying to explain.  I hope this has answered your questions. 

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: NFL Chatter: 2017 Draft through 2018's Super Bowl LII (& Aftermath) 2017/10/14 11:49:08 (permalink)
While thoroughly enjoying the spectacle of the clueless, spineless, nicely-coiffed Empty-(Bespoke) Suit-in-the-Bubble soliciting input on whether to defecate or go blind, there is the more concerning matter of whether or not AMERICA'S REAL TEAM will be any good this year.

Their performance Sunday against the K.C. Chiefs should give a major portent.   After all, LeVeon has finally had his preseason and Tomlin has probably kept Big Ben and A.B. locked in a room to discuss the merits of playing as a team. 

And, finally, a STEELER game will be broadcast in Dallas.  I'll be watching - while waiting for Veteran's Day Weekend.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5