Helpful ReplyNY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia

Author
hkrall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2017/06/02 16:20:11 (permalink)

NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia

Planning a trip this summer from Philly to Adirondacks.. thinking of taking 209 through Water Gap area, Port Jervis, Wurstboro, etc. Anything good to eat up that way? Hot dogs / burgers / hoagies or subs / regional oddities? Ive done the Newburgh hot dog joints before, looking for something a little different. Any suggestions much appreciated! 
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/03 08:59:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/06/03 12:46:13
At the start of your journey, In Delaware Water Gap, Village Farmer Bakery has excellent pies and pot pies for sale.
They also sell sandwiches and breakfast food-good rather than excellent.
Cute place with decent outdoor Bar B Q and plants and flowers for sale.
They have also taken over the diner next door (now renamed the 'Apple Pie Cafe') but I have not eaten there since the take over and reviews are mixed.

209 from the Water Gap until the start of the National Recreation Area  at Bushkill is pretty unremarkable for food
Sophies Eats and Treats is a cute 1950's era throwback but the food is decent at best.

At the North end of the Recreation Area. Milford is a nice town with some good higher end dining- but it does not sound like that is what you want.  
Non-food related , but if you have time stop at Grey Towers The home of Gifford Pinchot, First head of the National Forest Service and two time governor of Pennsylvania.
He donated the house and grounds to the Forest Service.
 There is a house tour, but you are probably better off just wandering the grounds. The highlight is the out door dining space "the finger bowl' guests sat around a huge stone table filled with water. Bowls of food were floated across from guest to guest. You sit under a trellis of wisteria, which is stunning in Spring

If you want regional  cuisine, the slate belt, area of Pa, where I live, a few miles southwest of the Water Gap ahs two regional specialties
Cold tomato pie and Cornish Pasties
Tomato Pie, which is called bakery pizza in some other areas is tomato sauce, no cheese on moderately thick crust pizza. It is always served room temperature.
The best place to get it is the Roseto Bakery
www.rosetobakery.com
You can't order slices only full (18 slices0 or half (9 slices) pies..
Most pies are pre-ordered. They do make extra, but usually sell out. They open at 7 Am Wed-Sunday,
Their stuffed breads are also excellant.
For pasties, most diners in Bangor, Roseto,Pen Argyl or Wind Gap, will have them on their menu.
I prefer the Old Mill in Pen Argyl. Pasties are ground beef, potato, sometimes onion wrapped in a pastry crust and baked.
They were the traditional meal of the slate quarrymen(many of whom came from Cornwall England) since they could be held by one end with a grimy hand and eaten without utensils.
Of course, both these placex will be somewhat out of your way.
post edited by brookquarry - 2017/06/03 09:00:41
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2924
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/05 23:13:49 (permalink)
Hey Hawk, where are you going in the ADK?  My family & I are spending a week in Rainbow Lake, near Saranac and Lake Placid.  We spent a week in Long Lake last year and explored Tupper Lake quite a bit.  Lots to do up there and good eats too.  I have been to Phoenicia a couple of times and have some photos of a few places of interest.  I'll post them soon...
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/07 11:42:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hkrall 2017/06/08 08:37:19
Probably a bit off of your route, but if you have the time to detour into Walpack Center NJ, a fairly short detour off of 209 at Dingman's Ferry, the Walpack Inn is a nice and interesting place for dinner.
 http://www.thewalpackinn.com/
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/08 05:55:24 (permalink)
Agree on the Walpack Inn. Deer are often observed grazing on the grounds.
hkrall
Junior Burger
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/08 08:36:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies! 
Going camping south of Phoenicia. Billyboy would love to hear your recs for that area!
Brookquarry- good call on Roseto! I've actually been there before, it was great! Might be worth another stop, I can never get enough Tomato Pie... I had no idea there were Pasties in PA though, that's exciting... Thanks all 

hkrall
Junior Burger
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/08 08:39:08 (permalink)
Walpack looks great too. A little more formal than what I'm looking for this time around, but looks like it would be worth the drive from PHL on a weekend! Cheers

brookquarry
Cheeseburger
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/09 05:59:14 (permalink)
If you want to buy pasties to take home, this place. in Pen Argyl, would be your best source www.mrpastie.com
They have many flavors, although the less common ones are sold frozen only.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2924
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/10 13:37:18 (permalink)
Hawk, I've been to Phoenicia a couple of times.  I went camping with some friends in the 90s and we ended up spending an afternoon with some relatives of another friend (who couldn't make then trip) and ended up having a great homemade lunch with them on their farm.  

The second time I was there was in 2009 to go tubing on the Esopus River at Tinker Tube Rentals.  I had heard about it on our camping trip and had always wanted to try it.  Here I am, lining up to get my tube.

I'm not sure where the bus took people but my friends and I got our tubes, life vests and walked down to the Esopus.

Right to the river's edge and then cast off into the current.  My friend, Christina, organized this trip and said that the water levels were highest that weekend so the flow would be good and hopefully not too rough.  

How it looks from the shore.  I can definitely say that I checked this off of my bucket list and never have to do it again.  In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't learn to swim until I was 12 years old and have always had a healthy fear of open water and water where I can't see the bottom.  I just didn't feel like I was in control of the tube and was just floating towards some faster moving water and couldn't guide it towards the side of the river where Tinker had signs guiding the tubers.  I jumped ship pretty early on and got out of the river and walked my tube back to town.  Disappointed to say the least.  Why did I include this?  It's a very popular place and I have lots of friends who love tubing, just not me, so I thought you might be interested.  
[/URL]

I stopped in the Phoenicia Supermarket to poke around... 

and found some Freihofer's Chocolate Chip cookies, my most favorite boxed cookies from my youth.  They look like Entemann's, but the have just a hint of salt that really rounds out the flavor.  

I also found that they sold Saranac sodas (brewed in Utica, NY, my college town) and their root beer is my favorite.

All of that tubing and walking the tubes back sure worked up an appetite so we walked around town to see what they had to offer.  Our first stop was Sweet Sue's Restaurant and while the pancake artwork looks pretty impressive, we weren't in the mood for breakfast.  NOTE: I just looked up their website and can't tell if that artwork is still on the walls)

We ended up at Brio's Restaurant, which, if memory serves, shares the same kitchen with Sportsman's Alamo Cantina next door

The sweet potato fries were just okay.  

The calamari was better.

I did love the pizza.  I think this was spinach with fresh sliced tomatoes. 

Nest Egg is a gift shop across the street from the Phoenicia Market.  Sunscreen, postcards to make your friends jealous, candy, books about the history of the region.

The place that really must be seen is Mystery Spot Antiques (informally known as Homer & Langley's Mystery Spot), a consignment gift shop/museum that pays tribute to the Collyer Brothers of Harlem, NYC.  They were two somewhat notorious agorophobic shut-ins and hoarders who, well, read for yourself!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

One place we passed by on the 1990s camping trip was the Sundance Rappell Tower.  I wasn't brave enough to try it but it looks interesting.  Looks like it's open on weekends only by appointment.  Here's an article about it from 2014: http://www.watershedpost.com/2014/ropes-sundance-rappel-tower

As we were driving back from our tubing trip in 2009, we saw Treecraft Fabulous Furniture from the road and had to stop in.  I don't remember if it was open when we arrived so I think we just ended up checking all of the cool, metalwork outside.  It's located on Rte. 28 a few miles south of Phoenicia.  Here's the artist's website: http://fabulousfurnitureon28.com/space-age-artifacts/

I don't know if you ever grew up going on haunted hay rides, bobbing for apples or other outdoor adventures in the fall but one of my favorite things was going into a corn maze, so we spent some time in the Catskill Corn Maze.  The website for the Maze doesn't seem to be up and running but here is the phone number in case you're thinking of going.  http://www.taftstreetrealty.com/directory/dining/the-catskill-corn-maze.html

I really loved this shot at dusk.  I know that they also screened movies for kids on a screen set up on a flatbed trailer on some nights.  I think it was "101 Dalmations" the night we were there.  

While I was online looking up the area to refresh my 8-year old memories, I found the Phoenicia Diner.  Seems like a more upscale, locally-sourced take on the classic diner.  It doesn't look like there are any regional specialties on the menu but the Full Phoenicia Breakfast, Grits & Greens and the Chicken Cobb Salad definitely called out to me.  
Here's the website: http://www.phoeniciadiner.com/?page_id=19

I realize that this ended up turning into more of a trip report but I love the visual stuff.  If you have any questions just let me know.  Hope this helps!!  Happy travels!!

post edited by billyboy - 2017/06/10 13:38:27
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5325
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/11 07:38:19 (permalink)
A darn good trip report Billy!
nixienox
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: NY (and PA) State route 209, Water Gap > Phoenicia 2017/06/20 18:20:07 (permalink)
We had a less than great breakfast at the Phoenicia Diner, plus a long wait. I wanted to like it, it just didn't quite add up. My favorite splurge meal in the area is Peekamoose. Mama's Boy in Tannersville is fun. And the barbecue at the farmer's market at the Round Barn at Pakatakan is delicious. Plus there are fresh waffles and good ice cream and you can stock up on maple syrup.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5