NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf"

Author
Big Ben
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/08/04 18:00:14 (permalink)

NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf"

Tuesday the 9th wife, two friends and I are going to see Meatloaf at the Beacon Theater, 74th and Broadway. Pre-show dinner finalists are Jacques-Imo's NYC, Niko's Mediterranean Grill, The Great Burrito, The Steakhouse at Fairway, and Vinnie's Pizzeria. 'Cesca was eliminated because you have to wear pants.

Any experiences or suggestions?

9 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/04 19:06:37 (permalink)
    " 'Cesca was eliminated because you have to wear pants."-------i cant help with places to eat---but was just wondering----is this rather then shorts---or rather then NONE at all
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3054
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/04 21:18:37 (permalink)
    How about which ever one serves meatloaf?
    (sorry, I couldn't resist)....
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/05 00:03:30 (permalink)
    And Jacques-Imo's will let you wear shorts?...are you sure, Big Ben?
    There is a nice, reasonably priced place in that area....Isabella's. A broad-based menu with plenty of choices, and I am pretty sure you can wear shorts! Just Google the name in Manhattan and you should be able to get the phone number. I'd do recommendations for a group of four, just to be sure.
    kozel
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1191
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/05 08:04:44 (permalink)
    And nobody else thinks '9th wife' is odd? I can't afford the one I have!
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/05 08:53:51 (permalink)
    Kozel--I think that this is just one more example of why commas and good sentence construction can make a huge difference! While your interpretation is certainly a valid one, I think that the O.P. meant to say something along the lines of:

On Tuesday, August 9th, my wife, two friends, and I...
    Big Ben
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/05 09:53:16 (permalink)
    Were I so polygamously inclined, I think I would have referred to my **ninth** wife; as it is, I'd receive kozel's jocular comment in just such a spirit. Such wonderful pickers of nits here.

In a similar vein, the pants comment was intended to convey my desire for a casual dining experience. Where Jacques-Imo's advertises Purple Haze and Turbo Dog beer, 'cesca advertises a business casual dress code.

Thanks, tacchino, for the Isabella's recommendation. New York Magazine called it a "see-and-be-seen" place. Their web site boasts of a spacious outdoor cafe, which sounds delightful for a warm summer evening. Have you been there?
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/05 18:16:20 (permalink)
    Never been to Isabella's, although I've surely passed it thousands of times. I can, however, tell you that it's part of B.R. Guest, Steve Hanson's restaurant group, which also comprises Ruby Foo's, Dos Caminos, Fiamma et alii. This pretty much guarantees that you'll get, at a minimum, good food and professional service. It's a great location, right across the street from the Museum of Natural History.

I'm off to 'Cesca on the 10th, for a Big Anniversary. Curious to see the place. Certainly not roadfood, by any stretch, unless you consider Columbus Avenue a road.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/07 00:06:17 (permalink)
    Big Ben:
    I have been there, at Isabella's, and I think the whole "seen and be seen" thing might be a bit overrated. I sensed no attitude from the waitstaff, and the clientele was a cross-section of people of all different types...definitely not a Manhattan "model and investment banker only" kind of place.

I thought the food was definitely reasonably priced, of good quality, and good portion size...some varied and interesting dishes that should please all palates. The only issue I had with the place is the one common to far too many places in Manhattan...the decibel level. With a large crowd of people, the sound level could definitely get pretty high. But again, this is an unfortunate fact of dining in New York, in my experience.
    ollieinnyc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: NYC - Upper West Side - "Meatloaf" 2005/08/08 15:25:48 (permalink)
    I would nix Niko's. It's perfectly fine but for a quick meal on your way home not to go out of your way for. I would try the Steakhouse. It's a perfect location and I've heard very good things.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5