Hot!NYC in the 50's/60's/70's

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/20 22:46:07 (permalink)
Tiki---it looks like you pushed Mama Leone into the lead, and if you ever saw Mama you have to know that took a heap of pushing. There was a wonderful German Restaurant named The Blue Ribbon off Times Square on 44th St. I took 3 or four dates there. The walls were covered with autographed pictures of many of the opera stars who sung at the Met. The food was great and plenty of it, and steins of cold beer came along to wash it down. From the pictures of the opera stars they must have eaten there a lot, a whole lot. The city of NY condemned the building housing The Blue Ribbon for some important construction to be done----that was 30 years ago and the building is still there rotting away. Polititians sure can waste a lot of good things if given the chance.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/21 09:33:18 (permalink)
Webb's City, an overgrown drugstore in St Pete, had a dancing chicken until they tore the place down about 20 years ago. If I remember, you had to put a dime or a quarter in the slot and the chicken would start dancing when the electric shocks started hitting.

As to my "shore leave" in NYC: When I had shore leave I was unemployed - which didn't necessarily mean I was without funds. I might have just come off a 3 or 4 month trip to the Orient or East Africa
with a pocketful of money I couldn't wait to spend. When the money was gone, then I went looking for another ship at the SIU hiring hall on Beaver Street and later on 4th Ave. in Brooklyn. It was a great life while it lasted - totally irresponsibly dedicated to having fun. One day Uncle Sam did me a favor and drafted me into the US ARMY right off my ship.
I felt like Billy Budd at the time - stolen away from Paradise and impressed into the government's service. Eventually I had to thank my draft board - I got the GI Bill, went to college and became something resembling a solid citizen.

Cheers, John
trolasater
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/21 12:00:25 (permalink)
I worked and lived in Manhattan in 1973/1974. My favorite Chinatown eatery was the Hong Fat Noodle Company. The restaurant was in the lower floor of the factory. You sat around big round wooden tables. There was always a pot of scalding tea in the middle of the table and the waiter would dump some out to wipe off the table.

About two blocks over in Little Italy you could stop by Ferrarro's Italian Bakery and get a cannoli at the take out. This was a huge commercial bakery. They would send the order upstairs in a pneumatic tube. It would be taken off the production line and sent down in a little dumbwaiter. Across the street from my apartment off Central Park West was Victor's, a real unusual Cuban-Chinese restuarant.

Another great roadfood place was the Alamo Chili House in the Theater District.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/22 08:03:40 (permalink)
Brother John---so it wasn't you that I saw with your nose pressed up against the window of Birdland sapping up Charlie Parker's high notes. It must have been some other gob in his "fancy go to meetin' blues". I believe Billy Budd is still hanging around though. Glad the Army made a solid citizen out of you, !!!!! Times Square was a fun place back then-------

As for the Trolasater----I know of Hong Fat and Ferraro's although I have never been in either. Victor's is new to me and so is the Alamo Chili House. In 73/74 I was only traveling to NYC for special occasions.

fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/22 08:55:52 (permalink)
I lived in Yorkville on East 86th St down near the East River for a couple of years around 1963-64 when my father was transferred to NYC from Va. I was a teenager at the time. Loved the "brauhauses" even though I wasn't old enough to drink yet. One of our favorite Italian restaurants was "Angelino's" in the Village. There was a great little French restaurant called "Larre' " on 56th between 5th Ave and Ave. of the America's (6th Ave?). And I always enjoyed the automat and the Chock Full O' Nuts lunch counters. Does anyone remember "Prexy's" Hamburgers? I think there were several around the city. There was one on E.86th around 3rd ave.
And a favorite little place that our family frequented, just down the block from our apartment building, I think it was on East End Ave across from Carl Schurtz Park where the mayor lived, was "The Orient Room". They didn't speak English in there, except to say "Want to share?" when everyone placed their orders. Cool place.

Frank
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/27 09:03:28 (permalink)
Cosmic Coffee Shop is still up at Columbus Circle- saw it a few weeks ago.

And Lundys has reopened in Sheepshead Bay- its been a good 5 years since they reopened- there is also a Japanese steakhouse hibachi type place there, called Momoyamas that we call yoyomama.

We used to eat at a Chinese restaurant called "Lotus Eaters" somewhere on the Upper East Side not too far from NY Hospital. Mostly though we ate in Bklyn, TOny's little Venice Pizza, Fong Fong Chinese, Adelmans deli on Kings HIghway (which I think is still there).
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/07/27 11:20:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin
Does anyone remember "Prexy's" Hamburgers?

I certainly do.

They had this unusual slogan:
Prexy's - The Hamburger With A College Education

gace
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/08/13 22:14:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by shen

Does anyone remember patricia murphys in westchester and nyc? my grandma has the menus still

Yes, I remember Patricia Murphy's. I ate there several times. I hadn't thought about that place in more years than I care to remember.
kozel
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1166
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/08/21 18:40:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

SIU hiring hall on Beaver Street and later on 4th Ave. in Brooklyn.

As I recall, the SIU hall on 4th ave had a fine cafeteria for its members. I had several fine lunches there while looking for a ship in 1969. Who'd you sail for John?
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2004/08/21 20:57:26 (permalink)
Kozel: the food was pretty good at the hiring Hall cafeteria. the cooks were all SIU men on the beach and they cooked pretty much like we would have had on any union ship- plus a very good deli section where they made excellent sandwiches - unavailable at sea.

I worked for everyone from Alcoa to Waterman. I worked a lot for Robin Line (Seas shipping Co) because I really liked South and East Africa. I spent a great six months making 6 week cruises to the Caribbean one winter on the Alcoa Ranger. And, I worked a lot for Isthmian (US Steel's shipping Co.) on long trips to the far East. I got my union trip ticket in October '45 and made my last trip, coastwise, on the Seatrain Texas in the summer of '57, while I was a college student.

Cheers, John
SkipChurch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/09/10 22:55:47 (permalink)
The places I recall most fondly are these:
* Prexy's- the Hamburger With A College Education. My dad used to take me there in the 1960's. Midtown location, and another I think near Columbus Circle,
* Chock Full O'Nuts. They had some odd specialty sandwich which I recall as being brown nut bread with cream cheese.
*The Automat. What a trip that place was!
* Bruno's Pen & Pencil. An Italian Steak House. NY strip. Oh Yeah.
*Mary's. A hard-to-find funny little Northern Italian family run place in Greenwich Village, in a brownstone.Spaghetti alla Carbonara.
*Suerken's. A German bar-restaurant downtown frequented by City Hall and Municipal Bldg workers. Have the sauerbraten.
* Up in Harlem, Wilson's Bakery-- soul food. Have the salmon croquettes.
* In the Village, The Pink Tea Cup-- soul food. Have the pork chops.
*Crist Cella. Midtown steakhouse old school type. Plain. No menu. Partners at big investment bankers ate there. Quiet. Expensive. Out of this world creamed spinach and unbelievable steaks.
*Kiev in the east Village. Russian coffee shop, sort of.
*Gem's Spa.2nd Ave at St Mark's. Not a restaurant, a...newstand with rolling papers and egg creams and a weird thing called a "lime rickey" which was red.
* B& H Dairy Lunch-- 2nd Ave bet 7th and St Marks I think. Vegetable liver sandwich. plate of schaav, potato pancakes. better know what you want well before you walk in. Great soups. black bread with a schmear.
* 2nd Ave Deli. Hot pastrami sandwich that'll give you a heart attack on the spot.
* Green Kitchen. East 77th St and 2nd Ave (?) Joe Namath used to eat there.
*The Heidelberg. Odd German place in Yorkville.

That's all I can think of.

Oh yeah... of course Orange Julius on 8th Street and Papaya King on East 86th.
map822
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/09/12 10:48:33 (permalink)
Okay if you say so.

Abbey217
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/13 20:03:04 (permalink)
Do you not think you were wrong?

pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/15 18:00:54 (permalink)
when i used to go visit my grandmother in manhattan in the 50's and early 60's she used to take us to shcrafft's and longchamps, i for some reason particularly have fond memories of the chicken chow mein at longchamps.
there was patricia and a lorraine murphy's in manhassaton long island. great popover's and roast beef dinners. we used to have our boy scout banquets there lol.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5590
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/16 09:41:24 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure my parents splurged one year and took us to the Top of the Sixes Restaurant, which used to be on the top floor of 666 5th Avenue.

I remember lots of glass and great view of the city.

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10088
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/16 10:13:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I'm pretty sure my parents splurged one year and took us to the Top of the Sixes Restaurant, which used to be on the top floor of 666 5th Avenue.

I used to work in that building 1988-1990!, Right out of college
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5590
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/16 11:28:36 (permalink)
sweet!

was the restaurant still there?
and if it was, do you remember what was in the Top of the Sixes Sandwhich.
I'm thinking capicola ham, roast beef and salami. I'm not sure that's the right ham, and I can't remember the cheese.

Lexi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/16 12:54:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I used to work in that building 1988-1990!, Right out of college

My dad (and then my mom) worked in the Tischman Building (as we refered to 666 5th) for 20 years. Going to TTOTS was a rare and special treat and required grown up manners in full play.

My folks lived on Perry Street and the University Place in the early married days. They were always dragging us kids back to familiar haunts, but the list slowly narrowed as time went on. I remember the original Grotta Azura in Little Italy, Cafe Reggio, Benito's (again the original - not Benito's Two) and several obsure places in Chinatown - my brother learned Mandarin Chinese as a defense mechanism so he could order for us. I remember being invited into the kitchen at one of these places - the waiter wanted to show off this Jewish kid who could 'talk the talk'.

I spent many months at New York Hospital as a kid and roast beef sandwiches from Smilers on York Avenue were doled out at intervals. Gitlitz for pastrami and Teacher's Too because it was near my grandparent's apartment on Riverside Drive. My other set of grandparents lived in Brooklyn and the last family lunch with everyone still alive was at Lundy's (the original) in 1974.

Anyone remember The Texas Taco when it was in NYC? I spent a lot of time there too - my sibs worked for Rosemary and we still consider her part of the family - she snuck burittos into the hospital for me when I was supposed to be on a strict low sodium diet!
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/16 13:19:29 (permalink)
I'm still trying to figure out the connection between Chicken and the topic of this thread. But, regardless of that, I want to contribute some memories of my own, since I did grow up in "The City".

I do recall Prexy's (The Hamburger With A College Education) very well. There was one on Broadway somewhere in the vicinity of 105th St., and the fact that this was relatively close to Columbia U. makes me think that this may actually have been the original one, and may have led to the "College Education" slogan. I vividly recall the bowls of raw onion that sat on the counter. Since my mother was not one for raw onions on our food, this was a rare treat for me to be able to smother my 'burger in those onions. When I ate in Prexy's, it was probably circa 1960-62.

Earlier in my childhood (1950s), my parents used to take us occasionally to eat at Guido's, a family-run "red sauce" place, which was somewhere in the West 30s. I remember particularly loving the Minestrone at Guido's, but everything was good. Many years later (perhaps 1966 or 1967), I was lodging in the Statler Hilton, while on a college convention. Trying to be the Bon Vivant, I wanted to show some friends my knowledge of the city since NYC was relatively mysterious to them. I searched out Guido's, and it was still there! It was also still good, and we all had a nice meal there. Most likely, it is now long gone, however.

Also in the '50s, we occasionally ate at Arthur Maisel's, a family-oriented, low-end steak house with a few locations in the city. We would go to the one on 34th St. (upstairs), and dine on the "special", which was a small steak with baked potato & veg., followed by Strawberry Shortcake. If you brought in one of their coupons, the meal was very cheap, and I am tempted to say that it was probably something on the order of $4.99! Yes, that was a long time ago.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1507
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/16 23:47:06 (permalink)
These nice nostalgic NYC moments made me think of my "places" in the late 1960s, early 1970s, when I was a part-time Hippie. On break from college, my pals and I would always meet at The Dugout in the West Village.

It was a basement restaurant/bar run by Leo and ?, I forget the other partner's name. But they were very nice to us Guys, as if they fully understood the pageant of history and the fires of spring they remembered in us.

Leo and his partner gave the impression that they spent their entrepreneurial youth during Prohibition, or at least that's the thought that pleased my romantic impression. One smoked a big cigar, both had well manicured nails, neatly coiffed hair and exhibited a tonsorial sublimity that favored pinstriped suits and wide ties. These men went to tailors

The Dugout, which had hosted generation after generation of Bohemian, college kid, ballet dancer and just about every other sort of aspiring aspirant, had sawdust on the floor, a big barrel always filled with free peanuts, and served up superb burgers, spareribs and fried chicken. I'm not sure what kind of draft beer they had, but I had a few.
The Bear
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/17 07:26:57 (permalink)
NYCity was a great place to grow up near. It was always "the place" to go on a big date. Taking a girl to a Broadway Show or to Radio City, the Paramount, the Capital, the Roxy and others was an event. I was lucky to get a job after school delivering candy for the most prestigious chocolate maker in the "big apple". And, Lexi, in 1943 the building where the retail store, offices and factory were located was the original 666 Fifth Avenue. A 5 story building just like all the others knocked down by the Tischman Company to build the 666 of today.

The company, Rosemarie de Paris (Pronounced Paree) also had a Tea Room (a very swanky little restaurant specializing in afternoon tea) across the street. It was there that I delivered 5# of chocolate creams to Frank Sinatra. There were about a dozen booby soxers outside waiting to see their idol. When I delivered the candy Frankie (that's what the kids called him) said to a "guy" sitting at his table----Give the kid a fin. Wow!!!!!! That was more than a weeks pay including tips.

I delivered to many other well known people of the time, but no one here would remember Xavier Cugat, Leon Leonardoff, Elsa Maxwell,Louis B. Mayer, or General Douglas MacArthur so why talk about them.

One of the great treats I had working at Rosemarie was that the back door, which I used, opened onto 52nd Street. The street was music from one end to the other. We shared the back alley with Leon and Eddie's Night Club, where many great comedians "broke up the joint", and the world famous restaurant---21. At 21 there were always kids standing around outside waiting for some movie star to arrive, in a cab or limo,just for the chance of getting an autograph. I saw Ingrid Bergman, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and a few others entering but I never hung around for their signatures----I had work to do. Besides, I preferred walking a little further west and standing outside Eddie Condon's and a few other jazz joints.

The clubs along "Swing Street" all had small bands, groups, we called them. The music poured out the doors onto 52nd street and were gobbled up by all. Dixieland, jazz, soul, the blues---you name it and it was there. Standing in the cold listening to Billie Holiday for free was as good as it gets. It was a great place to grow up.

By the way--Tedbear---I started this thread in the Chicken catagory because it was my first and I didn't know any better.
kmerz
Junior Burger
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/29 17:27:19 (permalink)
quote:

I lived in Yorkville on East 86th St down near the East River for a couple of years around 1963-64 when my father was transferred to NYC from Va. I was a teenager at the time. Loved the "brauhauses" even though I wasn't old enough to drink yet. One of our favorite Italian restaurants was "Angelino's" in the Village. There was a great little French restaurant called "Larre' " on 56th between 5th Ave and Ave. of the America's (6th Ave?). And I always enjoyed the automat and the Chock Full O' Nuts lunch counters. Does anyone remember "Prexy's" Hamburgers? I think there were several around the city. There was one on E.86th around 3rd ave.
And a favorite little place that our family frequented, just down the block from our apartment building, I think it was on East End Ave across from Carl Schurtz Park where the mayor lived, was "The Orient Room". They didn't speak English in there, except to say "Want to share?" when everyone placed their orders. Cool place.

Frank
kmerz
Junior Burger
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/29 17:29:55 (permalink)
quote:

Frank

Larre was still going strong in the mid-late 1970s. my favorite lunch was Moules Ravigote, followed by sauteed veal kidneys, washed down with a glass or two of the house red. probably ran $12 back then...
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2005/12/29 23:50:14 (permalink)
I've got a number of NYC memories from the 60's. One summer in the early 60's--I think it was 1964 but could have been a year or two later, a bunch of friends and I just drove up (from Washington, DC where I grew up) for a long weekend. We parked the car somewhere near the West Village, got rooms in a sleezy dump on (or just off) Bleeker St. and just wandered around. Since we were fans of the Motown sound, we got directions to the Apollo Theater and went to a show. I recall the 4 or 5 of us were probably the only Caucasian faces in the place but nobody hastled us. We saw Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. Frankly, the only food I recall from that trip was Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions procurred from either a street cart in the Village or possibly "hole in the wall" storefront--but they were wonderful.

Later on, I roomed with a Brooklynite--from Flatbush--a grad of Stuyvesant High. A New Yorker to the core, he used to drive us all in the new yellow 1966 Pontiac GTO convertible his dad gave him to "The City" for hot dogs (Nathan's original location on Coney Island), baked goods (Ebinger's in Brooklyn) and other assorted foods he craved.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2006/07/24 22:47:38 (permalink)
I know I'm really late to this thread, but what a fabulous walk down memory lane!

We moved out of NYC (Brooklyn, actually) to CT in the mid-50's but I must have had NYC in my soul. Even after I got married, a big night involved coming into the city. My late wife was from Maine--her eyes would open like saucers at the sights, the lights, etc. Especially the food.

A poster on this thread referred to a chain of bars that he evidently frequented in Manhattan. Possibly McCann's? Great joints with cold, cold beer and a lunch counter with awesome roast beef sandwiches. Once we hit Grand Central, it was either there or to the Commodore Bar at the old Commodore Hotel (adjacent to Grand Central). Anyone remember? Everytime I see the scene in The Godfather where Luca Brazzi get's his, I think of the Commodore Bar. Perhaps it was filmed there??

Villa Pensa restaurant on Grand St. across from Ferraro's in Little Italy. We found that place because of a restaurant reviewer: Myra Waldo (probably a pen name). She raved; she was right. Same for BoBo's Chinese on Pell St. in Chinatown...I've never tasted Cantonese food as good as that.

Our first NYC date: At the China Bowl restaurant in Times Square. And I don't even remember what we ate...

Some year's later, frequent visits to the City Lights Bar at the top of the World Trade Center. Great memories tinged with sadness. Excuse me for going on and on.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2006/07/24 23:05:03 (permalink)
Do you remember a place in midtown around 48th and 5th called something like Old World Deli? It had different stations with their specific food--for instance, one had hot dogs, another sandwiches, another soups, etc. The place was really brightly colored--yellow, red, and blue. No one seems to remember it, yet I'd go there with my grandparents all the time. I've asked people that worked in the neighborhood, and they don't remember it. This was my favorite place when I was a kid.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5676
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2006/07/25 01:05:55 (permalink)
"Sam Wo" on the curve of Mott street in Chinatown.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 437
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2006/07/25 02:38:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

I know I'm really late to this thread, but what a fabulous walk down memory lane!

,,, Great memories tinged with sadness. Excuse me for going on and on.
Thanks for reviving this thread, Ciaoman! I remember reading it years ago but haven't gone into the Chicken forum and lost it.

With our Long Island Little League team ('57 or '58), we were brought into NYC to see a Giant game at the Polo Grounds. Afterwards, they took us to the Automat. Of course we loved it, and I enjoyed going there other times through the years.

Probably around '62 & '63 we went to a couple of Giants football games, bringing dates. It was a very big deal for us. We went to a below ground restaurant in the Sheraton Atlantic hotel, called Gate of Cleves in the Empire State Building. Very dark, perfect for our underage drinking of whiskey sours, rye & gingers, etc. Have no recollection of the food. Afterwards, we happened to walk past the studio where the show What's My Line was being televised and got in. Tony Randall walked past us on his way in to be a guest panelist. The mystery guest was Y.A. Tittle who quarterbacked the Giants that afternoon. One of our group yelled out "Hey Y.A.!!!" when he saw him but the show went on. Maybe they didn't hear.

So many recollections, I could go on, but it's 2:30 am and work tomorrow. Thanks again for the thread revival, like you said, some wonderful memories...
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2006/07/25 08:13:03 (permalink)
Back in the late sixties and early seventies my Father, who was a native NYer, would take me to see his sisters each Christmas. Delis, 21 Club(I think) and Oyster Bar were always visited. I was stupid, put my oysters in Dad's bowl and just ate the broth.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: NYC in the 50's/60's/70's 2006/07/25 08:56:53 (permalink)
Where has the guy that started this thread been, the ancient mariner? I use to enjoy his posts. Just wondering. Chow Jim
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5