Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis

Author
joanie881
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2016/03/11 10:53:23 (permalink)

Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis

Hi folks, haven't posted on here for a long time. I'll be flying from Boston to Nville on Thurs. March 24th then will immediately drive to KY. Would like a yummy southern breakfast on my way to Lville. Will make a detour but not a crazy huge one. Then on Easter Sunday, I'll be driving from Lville to Memphis and want to stop for snacks in Missouri and Arkansas cuz I've never been to those states.  Easter may limit my options but again, looking for good chow that's not too far off the beaten path. Anything come to mind? Thanks.

16 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5473
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/11 12:47:51 (permalink)
    In Louisville: eat the original Hot Brown where it was created at the Camberley Brown Hotel.  You've had other hot browns and wondered what the fuss is about, have the one here and finally understand

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2016/03/11 12:49:15
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/11 16:20:34 (permalink)
    In Nashville, Loveless Cafe (specifically for breakfast) is on my bucket list
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6284
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/11 17:04:36 (permalink)
    In Missouri, Lambert's Cafe is kind of an "on the nose" choice.  The "Home of Throwed Rolls" has gotten mixed reviews, but remains an iconic Roadfood stop.  It's 140 miles from Memphis to Sikeston, about a 2 1/2 hour drive, but you'll be driving though some beautiful Ozark scenery, hugging the Mississippi River most of the way.

The closest thing to Memphis, in Arkansas, is Jones Bar-B-Q Diner in Marianna.  Never been myself, but our own buffetbuster ranked Jones as "Legendary".  It's a slightly more reasonable drive at 60 miles.

Have a great trip,
    Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/12 00:38:43 (permalink)
    There should be a Cracker Barrel or 2 between N'ville & L'ville. 
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/12 16:11:08 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    There should be a Cracker Barrel or 2 between N'ville & L'ville. 

well there's some roadfood for you right there

I guess i should mention the possibility of a McDonalds, maybe even more than one, somewhere on that route
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1446
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/12 18:42:35 (permalink)
    If you're going to hit Memphis and you're a fan of chicken stop in at Uncle Lou's for some spicy chicken. I'm not a fan of Gus's, but Lou's is some top notch chicken. And, if you're a BBQ fan, (and who wouldn't be in Memphis) check out a few of the threads on Memphis. There are more good BBQ places than you can shake a stick at.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/14 16:32:05 (permalink)
    Loveless Cafe is the obvious choice for a big breakfast around Nashville.  I'd recommend bringing a book; you will most likely have a wait.  Puckett's downtown is another option for a country breakfast.  A newer option north of town is Old Hickory Bistro. I've never been, but some friends in town really enjoy it.
    joanie881
    Junior Burger
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/16 15:25:21 (permalink)
    Hi everyone, thanks to those who have answered. I'm really looking to eat breakfast somewhere that's not Nashville or Louisville since I'll be spending time in those cities (will try a hot brown at some point). I saw a rec elsewhere for the Whistle Stop in Glendale and Judy's Castle or Mariah's in Bowling Green, anyone know those?

I remember hearing about Lambert's, will research that altho they might not be open on Easter. Will research that and Jones. Thanks.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1427
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/16 16:23:27 (permalink)
    It's been several years, but I really enjoyed the Whistle Stop in Glendale. EXCELLENT Hot Browns and brown sugar cream pie. They are closed on Sunday, Monday and major holidays, and they don't open until 11 a.m. http://whistlestoprestaurant.net/
    lyndaking
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/16 17:21:52 (permalink)
    Back Home restaurant in Elizabethtown.  Their version of Hot Brown uses Clifty Farm ham instead of turkey.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12323
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/16 17:59:43 (permalink)
    I Haven't posted in this thread since you specifically asked for a breakfast place between Nashville and Louisville.  If you happen to be running a little behind, we had a fine lunch at Hodgenville Grill.
    joanie881
    Junior Burger
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/03/17 08:47:53 (permalink)
    Yeah leaving the airport around 9AM so bkfst is what I want. Got a few places now.
    On the other hand, finding something that Easter Sun. between LVille nad Memphis, Lamberts may be my only choice. I was looking at places in W. Memphis and I see nothing open on Sun. (never mind Easter Sun.). Even Sammy Hagar's is closed on Sun., haha.
    joanie881
    Junior Burger
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/04/05 07:21:26 (permalink)
    Wanted to report back quickly with a few highlights. I think the best thing I ate was my first stop in Bowling Green at Judy's Castle and a breakfast special of 2 eggs, meat, hash browns (or grits), biscuits and sausage gravy. It was perfect. We don't get hash browns much in the Boston area and these were nice and crispy, the gravy was peppery and not gloppy, eggs done right, nice folks and before 10:30 it was only $5.50 or something like that. The only bummer about breakfast was that the food combined with waking up at 3:15AM made me tired and I had to pull into a rest area to sleep for 5 min to get to Louisville without having an accident.

In Louisville, I enjoyed Jack Fry's for an old fashioned and a fried oyster/grits app. Delicious cherry nut scone at Blue Dog Bakery (bakeries weren't as good on this trip). I went to the bar of the Brown Hotel for dinner but couldn't bring myself to pay that much for the hot brown so ended up with just ok smoked mushroom soup and rolls. Beautiful hotel tho. Dinner and drinks at Decca were fun and enjoyed my short times at dive bars Seidenfaden Cafe and Third St. Dive.

I took the suggestion for Lambert's in Sikeston MO, home of the throwed rolls. Total kitschy place but not bad. Esp. the free stuff they give you. The rolls were fluffy (with nice apple butter if you wanted), fried okra was delicious, good lyonnaise potatoes and black eyed peas. I didn't try the spaghetti. The actual meal of pork cutlet sandwich was okay but the sides of potato salad and cucumber and onions were much too sweet ($9.95 I think). In Memphis, I ate at Dyer's who are known for burgers cooked in the same grease since they opened 100 years ago. Cheeseburger, fries and drink about $8 and no repercussions. Best donut of the trip was at Donald's. Had lunch at the longstanding Arcade Restaurant but just ok. I can recommend iced coffee at Qahwa on No. Main. Pulled pork sandwich at Central BBQ was standard. Good fried chicken lunch at Gus's and excellent dinner at Flight on No. Main (excellent small plates and great rolls).

Bet. Memphis and Nashville I stopped at Patty's in Wildersville for a biscuit then lunch at Bolten's Spicy Chicken on Main St. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't imagine getting more than the mild, it was bugging my lips. But it was tasty, about $6. Biscuit Love are known their "bonuts" which are really just big fried donut balls served w/ lemon cream cheese and/or blueberry compote. Very tasty (and greasy) for $7. I had a good Old Fashioned at Southern Steak & Oyster and their $5 fried green tomato happy hour special. My last meal was at Peg Leg Porker on Gleaves and it was fine. Pulled pork w/ slaw sandwich - good, smoked green beans tasty but from a can and potato salad looked great but was tasteless. Better than too sweet I think. I took a pulled pork to go from Drifter's in E. Nashville and even two days later, that may have been the best I had on the trip.

So the eating wasn't overly successful, I left a lot out. Some things I noticed on this trip. I'm a donut fanatic but found the donuts to be subpar compared to the east coast or the tons of places in the LA area. Also, what's up with butter not being served with bread? It was mostly spreads. And this may be blasphemy but I had 4 pulled pork sandwiches and most of them weren't as tasty as the ones at Sweet Cheeks or Soulfire in Boston. There I said it.
    (Wanted to insert photos but when I tried to upload from gallery, nothing happened.)
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5152
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/04/05 08:00:35 (permalink)
    You covered a lot of ground...nice selection of places, a good mix.  Thanks for sharing!
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1427
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/04/05 08:20:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for this write-up.

It's interesting what you wrote about donuts.  I've never thought of Kentucky as a particularly donut-ty kind of place, but during out last visit to Harrodsburg (east of where you were), there were a couple of new donut shops that had sprung up.   One is Emily's Donuts https://www.facebook.com/loveemilysdonuts2015/?rf=903171879732302
    There was another one, as well, but I don't recall the name, and don't know whether it is still there.

Another good place for donuts is Doughdaddy's Doughnuts in a gas station in Lexington.  http://www.doughdaddys.com/

But my favorite place is the venerable Burke's Bakery in Danville, for donuts, cookies, cakes, pies, bread and petit fours. Everything tastes like it is made with real butter, including icings.
    https://www.facebook.com/Burkes-Bakery-Delicatessen-104918339551300/

post edited by rumaki - 2016/04/05 08:22:45
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10540
    Re: Nashville to Louisville then Lville to Memphis 2016/04/05 08:20:30 (permalink)
    You certainly covered quite a bit of ground. If I knew your itinerary in Memphis I would have suggested the dry ribs at Central BBQ (that's what they're famous for) and sent you to Payne's BBQ for the best pulled pork sandwich you will ever have. There's always next time!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5