Native American Food

Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2006/01/06 21:40:56 (permalink)

Native American Food

Hello All,
I am interested in Native American Food (American Indian).
Any roadfood places specializing in this or any dishes someone
could teach me how to make. I could google this subject,
but would rather hear from first-hand experiences.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

3 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6663
    RE: Native American Food 2006/01/06 23:30:35 (permalink)
    Hell's Kitchen, a fairly new place in Minnneapolis is serving Mahnomin Porridge. Described as "warm, Native-harvested, hand-parched wild rice with dried blueberries, sweetened cranberries and roasted hazelnuts, drizzled with warm maple syrup and cream. Folks, if you’ve never tried porridge, you are in for such a
    treat!" I was under the impression that the rest of the menu was also inspired by Native American cuisine, but upon further investigation it seems I was mistaken. Still, this place is getting raves from all corners. Might be worth a try if you're in the neighborhood.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3054
    RE: Native American Food 2006/01/07 00:09:14 (permalink)
    Santa Fe is a place.

A "nouveau" Native American (?) restaurant is "Amaya" at the Hotel Santa Fe. (Interesting but a bit too "trendy"/ "Innovative Native Cuisine" as said on their website). The hotel is run by Picuris Pueblo, which is about 40 miles north of SF. Used to be called "Corn Dance Cafe." Menu includes ssalmon, buffalo burger, elk tenderloin, antelope, but a lot of it is pretty ersatz....

More authentic: every year at Indian Market (3rd weekend in July) there's lots of trailers set up with "Indian" food, very similar to general NewMex but also with Indian Bread, Indian Tacos, muttin stew, etc. These are at least sold by families right out of their trailers. Also you can usually buy fresh Indian Bread and "pies" (more like tarts: usually flat crust with peach or apple filling) from hornos in a lot of gas stations along I-25 or on reservations.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Native American Food 2006/01/10 13:52:15 (permalink)
    I have heard good things about the restaurant in the Native American museum part of the Smithsonian, their menu has a sampling of different regional Native foods. I have several Native American cookbooks:
    Native American Cooking by Lois Ellen Frank; American Indian Food and Lore by Carolyn Niethammer and A Taste of New Mexico Kitchens from New Mexico Magizine which has many Native recipes. The Food and Lore one is pretty interesting as it talks about the different ingediants and how the Indians raised them and prepared them, it was printed in 1974 so it might be impossible to find.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5