Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets

Author
matt@wh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/01/04 14:28:20 (permalink)

Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets

Hello,

I'm a journalist giving an uncompensated presentation to a group of supermarket operators in a few weeks, and I was hoping to get some anonymous opinions on a specific issue.

If you shop for "all-natural" or organic foods at your local supermarket, do you prefer for the store to group all these products together into a separate "store-within-a-store" area? Or, do you prefer for grocery stores to shelve organic and natural brands next to conventional products (as in, the organic cereal is in the cereal aisle, organic salsa next to all the other salsas, etc.)?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some anecdotes/opinions for this presentation. Comments won't be republished in print. Thanks for your opinion!

8 Replies Related Threads

efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/04 14:50:00 (permalink)
    For the most part, I really don't care where they are displayed as long as they carry them. The only exception would be produce that is not prepackaged which should be displayed seperately to prevent potential "cross-contamination" from waxes, preservatives and pesticide residues.

I would also like to see the larger supermarket chains do more to support and promote small organic farms in the states in which they are operating.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11939
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/04 22:28:43 (permalink)
    Our major grocery stores (we have 2 chains in Anchorage) both group all the organic foods together. Very convenient, you don't have to search the whole store for these products.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/05 00:06:46 (permalink)
    I like separate sections, it just makes it easier. My favorite store has a corner for organic produce, and all of the natural products grouped together in their own little mini-mart aisle. Not all organic, but it makes them easier to find there.

A few days ago at Safeway I noticed they had a big end display of "O" products, all organic... cookies, spaghetti sauce, bread, you name it. Wonder how long it will take for Oprah to have a problem with that.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23298
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/05 01:40:23 (permalink)
    I prefer the way the supermarkets in my area group the organic things together. That way, I can avoid them easily.
    beacupcake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/05 08:22:13 (permalink)
    I prefer the organic section to be seperate from the rest. It's easier to find things and if the store doesn't carry, for instance, Organic ketchup, you can find out without wandering several aisles.

The Fry's I shop regularly has the organic bulk yogurt in both the organic section and in the regular dairy case. That's confusing to some people because then they think that's all the organic yogurt Fry's carries.

I'm just pleased more and more grocery's are carrying more organic options.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5912
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/05 10:12:16 (permalink)
    Here in Southern Oregon, which has a high acceptance of Organic,(We grow a lot around here) most produce, meats, etc. are displayed side by side with their non-organic counterparts. You'll get Rosie Chicken right next to Foster Farms Chicken and Painted Hills Beef side by side with steaks from IBP. Same with produce, perhaps even more so, though it's not branded as such.
    Amy's Kitchen is opening a plant here; we already have Dagoba chocolate, among others. The consciousness is visible in these parts, and once it is, people love it. To me organic should signify artisan or rich and full taste; something a cook would prefer to use over "regular" mass produced food.
    Confining organic to an "exiled" section makes it seem as if it's an ethnic specialty, or a section for folks with dietary special needs
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/05 11:22:47 (permalink)
    I view organic as the high end product. I buy it frequently, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I prefer it to be clearly labeled as organic, but displayed in the regular sections. I don't always make it to the health food area on quick trips.
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Natural and Organic Foods at Supermarkets 2006/01/05 21:16:45 (permalink)
    Frankly, I'm a little suspicious about how "natural" and "organic" the stuff in the supermarket is, but I'm lucky enough to live near a natural foods co-op that has everything I need.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5