Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help!

Author
Fleischmanshotdogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2012/07/11 10:56:30 (permalink)

Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help!

My name is Ksili. I'm licensed in Anne Arundel County MD, and There is not a lot of foot traffic, and many privately owned shopping centers has not allowed me to work my cart in their parking lots or near stores. I am forced to work on the side of the road or on county property. Finding enough space with enough traffic has been dismall. The county fees for Baltimore and My county average about $1000.00-1400, with a new HAACP and inspection for every county. This takes weeks to get certified and also chasing down inspectors.

I'm asking what are some general legalities of placing my simple hot dog cart without getting hit with fines and legal trouble. I can't afford to get licensed in every county just to move around and find a great location.

6 Replies Related Threads

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help! 2012/07/11 21:26:18 (permalink)
    There must be other privately owned locations that aren't in a strip mall area...I know one cart locally that sets up in the parking lot of the a local gas station...they get lots of business.  It's going to be hard for us to tell you specifics because we aren't familiar with your specific area...you need to find out the total cost of what it will take to set up in your county.  It might be cheaper to set up on city property as opposed to private property...or visa versa.  Also different cities will have different requirements and fees so while you have county hoops you need to jump through, there could be different hoops for each city....some more expensive, some less.  Sounds like you have some homework to do....
    Hot Dogger Julia :)
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help! 2012/07/11 23:05:09 (permalink)
    Hi Ksili,

Djdawg gave some good advice.  Also, something that might help would be to join the local Chamber of Commerce.  Become a member and go to the group meetings once a month.  Mention your dilemma.  Someone there will be able to help, no doubt!  Afterall, you're in the company of business owners and managers as well as your local town office staff (who are usually encouraged or required to join the Chamber of Commerce in their town/county).

This is how I obtained my public site in front of the local courthouse that gets LOTS of foot traffic (very important!) when privately owned shopping plazas were next to impossible to get into.  It was a member of the local town zoning and planning board (who is a Chamber of Commerce member) that suggested it as well as the director of the Chamber itself.

Your county/town that you live in or a neighboring town/city must have at least a courthouse.  Have you tried to go to the local town clerk's office to see what they require to set up there?  Usually you need a State Hawker's and Peddler's license and copy of your food license.  I'm in NH so I don't know what your state or county requires in MD.  Call your Secretary of State's office (probably in Baltimore) to see what you need to set up publicly somewhere.  Any public courthouse should have a fair amount of foot traffic.

Good luck! 

koolaid677
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help! 2012/07/17 20:37:43 (permalink)
    Anne Arundel Medical Center (we have a lady here in Cecil County that does well between the parking garage and hospital) 
    Hardware Stores (My daily spot is at American Home & Hardware in Elkton Md)
    Pharmacy  (I have permission to go to a local pharmacy on Fridays)
    Court House (There is a cart at our local court house, dont know if he does well though)

The trick is family owned..  people who own the property and can make decisions.
    Fleischmanshotdogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help! 2012/07/20 09:55:59 (permalink)
    Thank God! Today I received a contract at the Baltimore City Courthouse! However, now I have to relicense myself in that jurisdiction, but they still are letting me work. It definitely took 50 no's before a YES! The hardest thing about making a hot dog cart remotely possible is the location. I have generally found people to be unhelpful to small vendors, and unsympathetic. Business and competition brings out the unhumainess in folks. I am trying so hard to make an honest living but also doing something that is very noble. As a former bar owner and real estate agent, I have never been unhelpful to those making a true effort of entrepreneurship, and ambition. Helping our younger generation is key to building our society, and giving people a sense that there are people out there who will look out for others.
    kofemi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help! 2018/03/06 20:40:29 (permalink)
    Fleischmanshotdogs
    Thank God! Today I received a contract at the Baltimore City Courthouse! However, now I have to relicense myself in that jurisdiction, but they still are letting me work. It definitely took 50 no's before a YES! The hardest thing about making a hot dog cart remotely possible is the location. I have generally found people to be unhelpful to small vendors, and unsympathetic. Business and competition brings out the unhumainess in folks. I am trying so hard to make an honest living but also doing something that is very noble. As a former bar owner and real estate agent, I have never been unhelpful to those making a true effort of entrepreneurship, and ambition. Helping our younger generation is key to building our society, and giving people a sense that there are people out there who will look out for others.

I know this was written years ago , but I hope u r now doing well.
    kofemi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Need Help Finding a Great Location, because of legal restrictions! Please Help! 2018/03/06 20:41:11 (permalink)
    very helpful tips .Thx
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5