Helpful ReplyNeed Memphis suggestions

Author
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2018/11/01 19:11:40 (permalink)

Need Memphis suggestions

My niece just moved to Memphis and I thought getting her some gift certificates to some great local restaurants would be a good idea for her Christmas present.  Any suggestions for some good, roadfood-approved restaurants are greatly appreciated!
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/01 20:03:41 (permalink)
My favourite place in Memphis doesn't have gift cards and it's in a sketchy neighbourhood. I am thoroughly taken with the spicy chicken at Uncle Lou's. Best in the city, IMO (certainly better than the chicken I've had at Gus's). I highly recommend it, though. You could always get her some cards for Corky's. They aren't the best BBQ joint in Memphis but they make good barbecue. 
https://www.corkysbbq.com/
https://www.unclelousfriedchicken.com/
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/01 20:11:11 (permalink)
Thanks!  I can definitely see giving her a list of a bunch of restaurants to try and some gift certificates for some to give her a place to start.
Davidsanders
  • Total Posts : 1187
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/01 20:40:28 (permalink)
Have them go to Payne’s. It’s great. I highly doubt they have gift certificates.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1832
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/01 22:20:53 (permalink)
Payne's is a great suggestion for BBQ! David is right on with it!
There's also Interstate, who do a very respectable job.
And everyone that has lived in Memphis loves Coletta's (touted as Memphis' oldest restaurant). The Italian food is good and they make a BBQ pizza that really stands out! The really great thing about Memphis is that there are so many great places to eat there.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/01 23:01:04 (permalink)
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Memphis, Mrs Bonk, but I want to say that I think your gift certificates and a list is a terrific gift idea and very generous of you. I would really be excited to get a gift like that for a present!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 01:18:47 (permalink)
Another vote for Payne's.  Just outstanding 'Que!

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 07:39:30 (permalink)
Not sure how many of these will have gift certs, but here's a few more....

A&R Bar-B-Que
Alcenia's

Cozy Corner
Cupboard Restaurant 

Interstate Bar-B-Q
Little Tea Shop

Muddy's Bake Shop
Pie Folks

Woman's Industrial Excahnge
edboogie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 08:46:00 (permalink)
Put me down for recommending Paynes also.  And I like Central BBQ, the original one on Central.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 09:07:07 (permalink)
Although Sandra did not like Paynes (I discovered she does NOT like the concept of Slaw over Q) I love it and it's always a must stop since my first visit in 05 but I doubt they have gift cards.
Although I haven't been to Cozy Corner in 10 years (on the last Presidents day weekend tour) I love it . Same with Interstate which I haven't been to since my first visit 20 years ago however I bet Interstate does have gift cards.
We both loved BBQ Shop on our visit last month- and I bet they have gift cards too.
The Cupboard had the worst lemon ice box pie I've ever had- however I can't comment on the rest of their food- I bet they do have gift cards though

TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5588
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 10:38:34 (permalink)
WJ: any chance I can send you a PM?
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 12:21:26 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
WJ: any chance I can send you a PM?

Always happy to help out a fellow Roadfooder...PM your info and I'll pass on to Dale....
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 12:30:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/11/02 13:53:40
Always the thoughtful one.  Bless you my son.

Buddy
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2704
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/02 14:46:39 (permalink)
We found the best burger in Memphis on a recent visit http://www.chowpapi.com/wordpress/wordpress-2.8.6/wordpress/on-the-road-with-rl-reeves-jr-roxies-grocery-in-memphis/ and unimaginably bad barbecue at Bar-B-Q Shop. Worst I'd had in over 30 years.
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/04 09:39:54 (permalink)
Thanks, everyone! If nothing else I can get her a generic visa gift card and a list of your suggestions.  :)
Davidsanders
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/04 11:22:16 (permalink)
scrumptiouschef
We found the best burger in Memphis on a recent visit http://www.chowpapi.com/wordpress/wordpress-2.8.6/wordpress/on-the-road-with-rl-reeves-jr-roxies-grocery-in-memphis/ and unimaginably bad barbecue at Bar-B-Q Shop. Worst I'd had in over 30 years.

I'm not sure the barbecue I had at Bar-B-Q Shop was the worst I've ever had, but I sure didn't like it very much. 

Interestingly, it seems the only thing that Dale and I agree on in this thread is Payne's. I loved it, and I'm grateful to him because he was the first (of many) to mention it to me. I'm sorry Sandra didn't enjoy it. But I liked the lemon ice box pie at the Cupboard, and as noted above, didn't much like the BBQ Shop. I've only had a couple of slices of lemon ice box pie, so it could be that there are much better versions out there. I need to keep looking. 

David
Lurker
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 09:23:00 (permalink)
Davidsanders
scrumptiouschef

I'm not sure the barbecue I had at Bar-B-Q Shop was the worst I've ever had, but I sure didn't like it very much. 

Interestingly, it seems the only thing that Dale and I agree on in this thread is Payne's. I loved it, and I'm grateful to him because he was the first (of many) to mention it to me. I'm sorry Sandra didn't enjoy it. But I liked the lemon ice box pie at the Cupboard, and as noted above, didn't much like the BBQ Shop. I've only had a couple of slices of lemon ice box pie, so it could be that there are much better versions out there. I need to keep looking. 

David

Unfortunately my slice of lemon ice box pie at the Cupboard was actually warmer than room temperature... the consistency of the lemon was almost liquid and the pie crust itself tasted stale...
We thouroughly enjoyed the Bar B Q shop- it was a Wednesday evening  and quite busy.. I preferred the dry ribs which were very tender, and smoky.  Sandra preferred the wet ribs and our bbq spaghetti was one of the better renditions  I've had. ChiBears15  and I visited Central BBQ a few years back, and I though their dry ribs were fine but appeared to be a little over done.  I know that the Bar B Que shop was included in the roadfood Memphis bus tour 5 years back and other roadfooders enjoyed it as well and I believe it's in the Roadfood books as well
I'll admit there are some bbq joints that I visited in Memphis that were anywhere from ordinary (Corkys,The Germantown Commissary)  bad (Tops BBQ, The Rendezvous) to flat out nasty and gross (Leonard's)  also 

Davidsanders
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 11:15:32 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
scrumptiouschef

David

Unfortunately my slice of lemon ice box pie at the Cupboard was actually warmer than room temperature... the consistency of the lemon was almost liquid and the pie crust itself tasted stale...
We thouroughly enjoyed the Bar B Q shop- it was a Wednesday evening  and quite busy.. I preferred the dry ribs which were very tender, and smoky.  Sandra preferred the wet ribs and our bbq spaghetti was one of the better renditions  I've had. ChiBears15  and I visited Central BBQ a few years back, and I though their dry ribs were fine but appeared to be a little over done.  I know that the Bar B Que shop was included in the roadfood Memphis bus tour 5 years back and other roadfooders enjoyed it as well and I believe it's in the Roadfood books as well
I'll admit there are some bbq joints that I visited in Memphis that were anywhere from ordinary (Corkys,The Germantown Commissary)  bad (Tops BBQ, The Rendezvous) to flat out nasty and gross (Leonard's)  also 

As I reported on my trip to Memphis, the lemon ice box pie at the Cupboard was actually a bit icey, so mine certainly was much better than yours. That sounds horrible. 

All of the food at the BBQ Shop was lukewarm, including the barbecue spaghetti, which took about 15 minutes to get to my table. The toast was so tepid I asked for it to be replaced. It was, with toast that was equally tepid. I didn't like the fall of the bone style of ribs that I found all over Memphis, and I didn't like them being utterly drowned in sauce at the BBQ Shop.. I remember liking Interstate much more when I was there about 8 years ago or so, my only other trip to Memphis, when I also went to Rendezvous, which I didn't like at all. I actually liked Leonard's, which I went to based on Cliff's recommendation and review. Except for the onion rings, which were pretty disgusting.

Frankly, other than Payne's, I'm not sure there's a reason for me to go back to Memphis.
Lurker
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 11:36:45 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
scrumptiouschef

David

As I reported on my trip to Memphis, the lemon ice box pie at the Cupboard was actually a bit icey, so mine certainly was much better than yours. That sounds horrible. 

All of the food at the BBQ Shop was lukewarm, including the barbecue spaghetti, which took about 15 minutes to get to my table. The toast was so tepid I asked for it to be replaced. It was, with toast that was equally tepid. I didn't like the fall of the bone style of ribs that I found all over Memphis, and I didn't like them being utterly drowned in sauce at the BBQ Shop.. I remember liking Interstate much more when I was there about 8 years ago or so, my only other trip to Memphis, when I also went to Rendezvous, which I didn't like at all. I actually liked Leonard's, which I went to based on Cliff's recommendation and review. Except for the onion rings, which were pretty disgusting.

Frankly, other than Payne's, I'm not sure there's a reason for me to go back to Memphis.

David

This was my sandwich at Leonard's.... an atrocious experience that still lives with me 10 years later.
It was dry....crusty....and tasted like bbq flavored paste
I can assure you if I ever find my way back to Memphis...(it could be a very long time) I will never return to Leonard's..

Lurker
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 11:45:37 (permalink)
Unfortunately this was what was served to me at The Cupboard....

A gooey....warm....mess....(and not in a good way)

Davidsanders
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 11:52:55 (permalink)
This was my sandwich at Leonard's last April.

These were the disgusting onion rings.

These were my ribs at the BBQ Shop. I don't understand why any restaurant would put this much sauce on an order of ribs, unless they don't want you to taste the meat.

As I said, the only reason for me to go back to Memphis would be Payne's, and thank you again for the suggestion!

Davidsanders
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 11:59:14 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Unfortunately this was what was served to me at The Cupboard....

A gooey....warm....mess....(and not in a good way)

This was my pie at The Cupboard. It looks a lot better than yours! I don't even see how they could call yours an ice box pie, unless there was a power failure.

post edited by Davidsanders - 2018/11/05 12:00:16
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 859
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 12:07:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/11/05 19:26:55
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
Re: Need Memphis suggestions 2018/11/05 19:43:06 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
scrumptiouschef

David

Actually,  the Rendezvous was my and my family's favorite in  Memphis------so different strokes for different folks!  I thought the dry ribs were excellent.  It is more upscale than most barbeque joints...……..the service was outstanding, and it was the same each of the two times that we were there.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5