New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
2018/08/20 17:11:33 (permalink)

New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List

I must say that the pizzas listed in this short piece all look pretty darned good to me, (except, maybe the one that has fries on it). I'd certainly give them all a try if they are as good as they look! Not sure why they included D.C. in the list, though. I've never considered them to a part of the Northeastern states. Oh, well.

https://uproxx.com/life/b...e-northeastern-states/

10 Replies Related Threads

phlmaestro
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 17:25:16 (permalink)
    Pizzeria Beddia in Philly has temporarily closed. He's eventually reopening in a bigger space. I went to the old location and posted on it on here last year. It's a sensational pie that was picked as the best in the country by some magazine in an article I also posted on here a couple years back.

The old place required a multi-hour wait before they even opened the doors to let people in. Hopefully that won't be the case in the new space.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/08/20 17:28:11
    billyboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2927
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 18:19:36 (permalink)
    Confession: I love a slice or two of pizza with ketchup and french fries on it.  There, I said it and I'm not sorry.  I vividly remember my first time; my dad was working late and he would take me with him when he worked late  meeting with potential clients and he would give them an estimate for the construction/paving/excavation work they wanted done.  It was great to get some father/son time with him and I got to ride in his green Ford F-150 (which to me, was the coolest pickup truck ever!).  I even got to push in the cigarette lighter, eagerly waiting for it to pop out so I could hand it to him as he lit a smoke he had pulled from his Marlboro red pack.  

We would always get dinner after the client meetings and one of our regular stops was a Losurdo's, a long-time Italian American restaurant fixture in our hometown of Rome, NY.  The food was decent but not outstanding but the decor was something to behold.  Fake grape vines snaked throughout lattice work along the ceiling, faux marble statue fountains of naked figures, holding pottery jars and water jettisoning from them, low lighting, music by Sinatra, Dean Martin and other Italian-American singers and a staff consisting of Pop in the kitchen, Mom as the hostess, their daughter as one of the waitresses and two of their sons also in the kitchen.  

One of my favorite orders was a small sausage pizza and a side of french fries.  The sausage was in small disc form and I loved it.  For some reason I got thew idea in my head to put some fries on one of those slices but how could I ever get them to stay?  Aha!  Use some ketchup as the glue!  The side-eye my father gave me that night caused me to think he might publicly disown me right there and pretend I was some hungry street urchin who had wandered in.  After the first bite, I did not care.  It really was an epiphany for me and I have been in love with that combination ever since that evening, much to the disdain of my girlfriend and most of my friends.  Now, I only engage in such experimentation with lower end pizza slices, typically from grab-n-go joints here in NYC or a nondescript pizza parlor. Never would I ever consider sullying a pizza from Lombardi's or Grimaldi's (or a heavenly apizza from New Haven!) with such a Frankensteinian creation.  I'm not a savage, you know!!
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 18:47:11 (permalink)
    I've had potato pizza quite a bit when in Italy. Made with shoe sting fries ,not cooked(or thin slices),then sprinkled with olive oil, salt, pepper,a little garlic, and rosemary. Into the oven. Delicious, if a lot of carbs!!
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 18:47:50 (permalink)
    ...and I'll have two slices of each pie shown.

phlmaestro
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 20:03:12 (permalink)
     I'd eat thinly sliced potatoes on pizza, but not fries.

One non-standard pizza topping that I've come to love in recent years is an egg. When we make pizza at home, I often break an egg over the center of the pie right before sticking it in the oven.

leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 20:34:57 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
     I'd eat thinly sliced potatoes on pizza, but not fries.

One non-standard pizza topping that I've come to love in recent years is an egg. When we make pizza at home, I often break an egg over the center of the pie right before sticking it in the oven.

Very Italian!! Frequently they poach an egg in the center of a Pizza Capricosa..pizza with the works!!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9294
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 20:41:56 (permalink)
    billyboy
    We would always get dinner after the client meetings and one of our regular stops was a Losurdo's, a long-time Italian American restaurant fixture in our hometown of Rome, NY.  The food was decent but not outstanding but the decor was something to behold.  Fake grape vines snaked throughout lattice work along the ceiling, faux marble statue fountains of naked figures, holding pottery jars and water jettisoning from them, low lighting, music by Sinatra, Dean Martin and other Italian-American singers and a staff consisting of Pop in the kitchen, Mom as the hostess, their daughter as one of the waitresses and two of their sons also in the kitchen.

And you had a major crush on her, right?
    phlmaestro
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 22:21:13 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Very Italian!! Frequently they poach an egg in the center of a Pizza Capricosa..pizza with the works!!

As more authentic Neapolitan pizza places have opened in Philadelphia, it's been easier to find pizza with egg on it.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/20 22:26:10 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    leethebard

As more authentic Neapolitan pizza places have opened in Philadelphia, it's been easier to find pizza with egg on it.

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 843
    Re: New Best Pizza In The Northeast States List 2018/08/21 12:49:29 (permalink)
    Good choice on Sally's for CT's best.  It's our all time favorite, anywhere.  Sally's is very closely followed by Zuppardi's in 2nd place, and Frank Pepe's in 3rd as our top 3 all time.  Yup, we strongly favor New Haven style apizza.   We were somewhat disappointed when we tried Santarpio's in East Boston.  It was okay, but we expected better than "okay" for a highly rated pizza. 

Glenn & Janet

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2018/08/21 12:52:11
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5