Helpful ReplyNew Haven Area Trip Recap

Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 582
2016/08/27 20:09:16 (permalink)

New Haven Area Trip Recap

Greetings Roadfood Crew.  It has been awhile (having a young child will do that to you).   I don't have as much time, and certainly not enough to figure out how to post photos here (sorry - it's been 15 minutes and I gotta move on), but still enjoy going to the site and keeping up here and there.   Nice to see so many RF'ers still going strong and so much passion for the chow.

Just back from five days in East Haven, CT, where my cousin has a beautiful place on the water with spectacular views.    We couldn't pass that up --- and I was armed with a dozen or so places to at least "try" and get to.

On the way out, we planned on hitting Poppy's in Beacon, NY for burgers - but they apparently are now closed on Mondays. So, with the car parked we walked until we found something interesting.   That was The Pandorica, a Dr. Who inspired British-themed restaurant.   We ordered falafel platters (with chips/fries) and cole slaw.   Pretty good.   Didn't take a photo of the food, but we did take a photo of our host (not shown here).    3 stars (out of 5)

Too full for a proper dinner, we hit Ashley's Ice Cream Cafe near the Yale campus in New Haven.   The Coffee Oreo was the best all summer.   Creamy and delicious.      

Tuesday's dinner was at Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale in New Haven (the newest location - and on the water).  The Mrs. ordered Lobster Casserole, I had fried clams and scallops.   Her lobster was flavorful, but a bit tough.  My clams were a bit bland.   The food needed seasoning and there wasn't enough tartar sauce.    Maybe Lenny and Joe's was great in its day, but this place reminded us of so many other local seafood shacks that expanded, kept the crowds but lost the quality.   Not awful, but completely average.  2.5 stars.

After hitting the Peabody Museum of Natural History, where our five year old loved the dinosaurs, we drove to West Haven to try Zuppardi's Apizza for the first time (mid-afternoon).   New Haven visits are rare enough, so we always order two pies to try.  Never before, even at Pepe's have BOTH pizzas been sensational, until now.   The Clam was bursting with fresh clams and garlic and the homemade Sausage was equally heavenly.    Just sensational.   5 stars.

Thursday's dinner took us on a very crowded I-95 to Guilford and The Place.    This kind of "place" is right up my wife's alley too, but we never visited before (for some reason it had been out of the Stern's books for many years).   Not much to say here that hasn't been said.  Fresh seafood by the pit.   We enjoyed the roast clam special, lobster, bluefish, corn and shrimp.  The kid enjoyed his Happy Meal from down the street.   4.5 stars

I had planned a morning run into the city for those square Orangeside Donuts - but found out a few days prior they had closed.   A guy by the name of Tony makes them now and the food sites are raving.   Wish I called Tony earlier, because Tony's Square Donuts (listed as a "donut shop" at 24 Whitney Ave.) is actually a food truck.   Got to the address, saw nothing - and then called the man himself who said he wasn't working that day.   Thankfully, I was just a few blocks away from Claire's Corner Copia and got there just as they opened.   Grabbed a few scones and the famous Lithuanian Coffee Cake and some house blend coffees.   Solid.

After hearing a bunch of raves and a # 2 Trip Advisor Rating in town for The Sandpiper a few blocks away in East Haven, we grabbed take-out while packing up Friday afternoon.   Lenny and Joe could learn a thing here!    Lightly oiled fried clams and scallops were sweet and delicious, plus they didn't skimp on the tartar.   I should mention, these were both rolls and the bread itself was fantastic.   4 stars.

On the way home, stuck in traffic and still "stuffed", we bailed on our plans to finally get a Lobster Roll at Denmo's and hit the Lake Zoar Drive In (Monroe).  I've driven past at least 4-5 times, but never stopped.   The wife and boy could only fit ice cream.  I went for the vanilla shake (yum) and the slaw dog (messy, but tasty) 3 stars

post edited by stanpnepa - 2016/08/27 20:23:11
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22594
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/27 20:46:24 (permalink)
Terrific! Sorry about Lenny and Joe's, but good on ya for getting to The Place. We love it. And I'm glad you enjoyed the pies at Zuppardi's. Isn't the Peabody wonderful? I grew up going there, and my grandkids loved it, although my grandson was trying to figure out how to get one of the bones out of a leg to take home.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/27 22:02:42 (permalink)
stanpnepa, great write-up!  You certainly hit some great spots.  Love Ashley's and I also am a huge fan of the homemade sausage at Zuppardi's.  Sad to hear about the closing of Orangeside Luncheonette.  After re-reading your post I got to wondering, did you mean that Orangeside had closed for good or was closed on the day you were going to be there?
post edited by billyboy - 2016/08/27 22:04:54
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/27 22:19:33 (permalink)
What a great trip!  I will provide a picture of The Place because I loved it so much!

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4729
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/27 22:28:35 (permalink)
Good stuff!  Thanks!
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 09:24:57 (permalink)
Thanks!

Loved the Peabody Museum, and not just for the dinos - but the insects, animals and gems.

Orangeside on Temple is closed (saw that on Yelp!) and drove by just to be sure.   You can still get square donuts if you can find Tony's truck.  Maybe he was taking a week off before Yale resumes?

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 10:19:05 (permalink)
Great report-some hits and misses-but that's what its all about!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8819
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 11:47:36 (permalink)
The Place looks great!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22594
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 11:59:42 (permalink)
leethebard
The Place looks great!!

You should try the roasted clams. But be advised, it's BYOB.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11466
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 18:54:38 (permalink)
I keep reading this as tire recap.  My mind is fried.
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 18:54:38 (permalink)
Zuppardi's is a favorite, and your choices are usual what we order also, glad you liked them. We still have to check out The Place before the end of the summer. Thanks for sharing your picks!
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/28 20:22:05 (permalink)
Sounds like a lot of great eating! That's such a great area for it too.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5100
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/29 08:07:18 (permalink)
Nice report Stan, great to hear from you!
benbenberi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/29 10:02:34 (permalink)
Tony's Square Donuts does have a small storefront location on Whitney Ave -- I don't think there's a sign outside, so it's hard to spot driving past, but it's got square donuts inside!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2016/08/29 11:39:39 (permalink)
mar52
I keep reading this as tire recap.  My mind is fried.

I kept telling you that you were inhaling too many paint fumes during the condo remake. 
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
Re: New Haven Area Trip Recap 2017/08/27 17:03:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/08/28 21:03:31

I continue to lurk here, but felt like chiming in.  Hope all is well, everyone.

Back again this summer for another getaway.   Just a few random notes.

Finally made it to Walter's Hot Dogs in Mamaroneck, NY.   Tasty dogs in a great setting.   I thought adding more of the famous mustard would improve the weiners, but it didn't.   Then, I ordered one plain and added mustard from the counter.   Guess the mustard and the dogs are equally special.

We can't say enough about The Sandpiper in East Haven, CT.   Great lobster roll and the fried clams and scallops were among the best we've ever had.   Didn't hurt that the restaurant was right down the street from where we were staying.

Checked out the new Kitchen Little (Mystic) for a solid breakfast, but they were out of the Portugese rolls.

Hit Lobster Landing in Clinton for simple, delicious $ 17.50 lobster rolls.  My only complaint - and it's minor - was that the sandwich, even through wrapped in foil, wasn't as warm I would've liked.   Still, it was the end of the day - and next to The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, ME - the best.

A Modern Pizza (New Haven) run finally completes the Big Four.   The clams weren't as good as Zuppardi's, but the Sausage and Artichoke was wonderful - except for the heavily burnt crust on about 30% of the pie.     

The newly praised Donut Crazy is now also on York St. in New Haven (just a few doors down from the reliable Ashley's Ice Cream).   We skipped dinner and got cones and a dozen for the ride home and weekend.   I should mention the dozen set us back $ 26.  The wife loved the Maple with bacon (I thought the bacon was a little rubbery).  My favorite was (I think) - a red velvet cake with chocolate.   Imagine artisan cupcakes as donuts.   If that works for you - head on over.  I prefer Allie's or Dottie's.  Maybe I'm more of a donut purist?

Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5