New Haven Pizza War

Author
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10405
2016/04/07 10:52:14 (permalink)

New Haven Pizza War

Lovers of New Haven Pizza might not know this back story about an ungoing cntroversy between Pepe's and Sally's. Interesting article from the New York Times. Since I'm more into NYC/NJ pizza, I wasn't aware of this un going battle. Any fans out there have comments. How good is "The Spot? Haven't heard that one mentioned much.

http://www.nytimes.com/20...&pgtype=collection

13 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23303
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 12:25:52 (permalink)
    How good is The Spot? I can't say. But back when it was THE SPOT and not owned by Pepe's it was the best. Of course Pepe's and Sally's were always amazingly great, and still are. You used to have to walk down an alley next to Pepe's to get to The Spot. It was a great place, and if you found yourself sitting at a table or in a chair with even legs that didn't wobble you were in the wrong pizzeria. The Consiglios of Sally's were cousins of mine by marriage, but my first taste of apizza came at Pepe's when I was 4 years old. It burned my mouth. I never wanted it again. Things change.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2809
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 13:46:55 (permalink)
    My nephew, in college there, but not at Yale, is not especially impressed with apizza. He is somewhat of a foodie, and has worked summers making chain pizza. I think that his main beef is that the crust is too thin. He grew up on "Greek style" medium thick crust pizza, and prefers it. 

I was involved, during my own college years, with an Italian American owned shop in Springfield Mass. For being not that far from New Haven, the pizza was totally different........in their case medium thick crust, square, but not in a pan. As for myself, I love them all.  
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5844
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 14:11:06 (permalink)
    tmiles - Every other big East Coast city seems to have a pizza style. How about Boston? I don't think I've ever heard about it.
    essvee10
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 16:28:33 (permalink)
    Boston's top pizza spots are probably Pizzeria Regina and Santarpio's. Regina is old-school coal-oven thin crust large pie cooked in 3 minutes kind of a joint. Superior pie, equal of the best NY pizza. Back in the 80s extra oil was a menu item, never seen that anywhere else. Santarpio's is famous for their housemade sausage, blistering with black pepper, and their skewers of lamb. I much prefer Regina.

My fave fave tho was a joint called the European, in the North End. It was a standard-issue checkered tablecloth gondola murals on the wall candles in the straw-covered Chianti bottles kinda place, complete with a maitre 'd (who would only speak to the men in the party). He would lead you through the front of the restaurant into a vast cafeteria with booths and long tables, with dozens of people tearing up the pizza. The European's was thin crust but rectangular. and they had this trick where they shredded salami into really thin matchsticks and topped the pie with it, where it would crisp up and get really savory. Man I loved that pizza. Went back in the 2000s and it was gone. Sad day that.

Anyone remember the European?
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 16:47:42 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    tmiles - Every other big East Coast city seems to have a pizza style. How about Boston? I don't think I've ever heard about it.

yes, they use a baked beans and fish cake topping and serve it on brown bread dough!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 18:58:03 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    JRPfeff

yes, they use a baked beans and fish cake topping and serve it on brown bread dough!

... at Durgin Park.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 19:17:49 (permalink)
    essvee10
    Boston's top pizza spots are probably Pizzeria Regina and Santarpio's. Regina is old-school coal-oven thin crust large pie cooked in 3 minutes kind of a joint. Superior pie, equal of the best NY pizza. Back in the 80s extra oil was a menu item, never seen that anywhere else. Santarpio's is famous for their housemade sausage, blistering with black pepper, and their skewers of lamb. I much prefer Regina.

My fave fave tho was a joint called the European, in the North End. It was a standard-issue checkered tablecloth gondola murals on the wall candles in the straw-covered Chianti bottles kinda place, complete with a maitre 'd (who would only speak to the men in the party). He would lead you through the front of the restaurant into a vast cafeteria with booths and long tables, with dozens of people tearing up the pizza. The European's was thin crust but rectangular. and they had this trick where they shredded salami into really thin matchsticks and topped the pie with it, where it would crisp up and get really savory. Man I loved that pizza. Went back in the 2000s and it was gone. Sad day that.

Anyone remember the European?

Remember the European?  Do I ever!  I was working for George Tecce at Bambino's (brother of the famous Joe Tecce) and their other brother Jerry, at the time, was the maître'd at the European.  George took me there one evening and Jerry was dressed in a baby blue tuxedo with a ruffled shirt.  He fit right in with the plastic grapes and the candles in the Chianti bottles. 

My favorite in Boston is Santarpio's.   

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7365
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 19:19:11 (permalink)
    Let us not forget that even Roadfood Legends are still businesses which must, daily, maintain quality and are, in addition, subject to the vagaries of the free market - including competition.

The Bon-Ton Mini Mart was on my RF Bucket List, but sadly 'market forces' forced their closure.
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 19:56:49 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    wanderingjew
    JRPfeff

... at Durgin Park.

Oh, you thought I was JOKING

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 20:03:13 (permalink)
    I did. Saints preserve us, I truly did.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/07 20:42:29 (permalink)
    Nothing in Randolph, MA would surprise me.  It was a large shoe manufacturing town........surprising they didn't use soles as crust.
    essvee10
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/08 12:08:52 (permalink)
    lleechef, that is awesome! Good good times. I was in Worcester and then the Pioneer Valley, only went to Boston a few times a year, mostly for Sox games, so I didn't get a chance to explore the North End as I should have, so Bambino's or the Tecce brothers don't ring a bell. There was another superior pizza there, a place called Georgio's that we would hit up for a change of pace. Minimalist it was, their "special" was comprised of pepperoni and green pepper. Do you remember that place as well?
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: New Haven Pizza War 2016/04/08 14:35:51 (permalink)
    essvee10
    lleechef, that is awesome! Good good times. I was in Worcester and then the Pioneer Valley, only went to Boston a few times a year, mostly for Sox games, so I didn't get a chance to explore the North End as I should have, so Bambino's or the Tecce brothers don't ring a bell. There was another superior pizza there, a place called Georgio's that we would hit up for a change of pace. Minimalist it was, their "special" was comprised of pepperoni and green pepper. Do you remember that place as well?

Of course!  La Famiglia Giorgio's.........just off Salem St.  Went there many times.  It's still there, unlike the Tecce brothers' restaurants.  Joe Tecce's was in the North End but Bambino's (George's place where I worked) was in Malden.  I have to admit, we did make killer pizza at Bambino's.  Everything from scratch.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5