New Here

Author
mattventura
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2018/05/22 20:07:57 (permalink)

New Here

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and I am looking to start my own shave ice business with my niece this summer. I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me out? I need to buy a bunch of stuff but I don't want to dump a lot of money into this. Anyone know a good place to start?

2 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1409
    Re: New Here 2018/05/22 21:44:20 (permalink)
    mattventura
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and I am looking to start my own shave ice business with my niece this summer. I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me out? I need to buy a bunch of stuff but I don't want to dump a lot of money into this. Anyone know a good place to start?

Hi, Matt! Welcome to Roadfood! Your best bet to get your questions answered is in the Restaurant Professionals Forum. That's where the pro's hang out. This subforum is more for folks to talk about Ice Cream and the like. You should be in luck, too. There was another guy starting a shave ice business on in the last day or so.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7008
    Re: New Here 2018/05/26 19:00:04 (permalink)
    1)  Check out your market.  You dodn't (like most here) cite your location, but, e.g., I live in McKinney, TX, so the first thing I'd do is go here.

2)  Notice - all have the equipment, but the 'overhead' varies from permanent, free-standing to carts.

3)  I'd start with a cart (or an easily dis-mandible 'shack') in the parking lot of a busy summer location at a place where your business augments, not competes, and where people are waiting, e.g., a busy car wash on a commercial strip.

4)  Are there undeveloped lots on busy thoroughfares where you live?  If so, the short-term land rent will be cheap and you can either rent by the season or also have seasonal fireworks and Christmas tree businesses.  Do that and you'd bank (or hide) more than you'd believe.

5)  In any case, never buy new equipment.  Used is only pennies on the dollar; shine it up and locate a good mechanic to make it run as new and be on-call to keep it running.

I can't think of anything more fun than to sell something with a COGS of pennies for $3.75 and have the customer walk away smiling and happy!

And get one of those little 'square' card readers; a lot of folks never carry cash anymore.

Anyway, Welcome to Roadfood!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5