New Jersey: That Hot-Bed of Barbecue

Author
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
2019/05/17 16:29:57 (permalink)

New Jersey: That Hot-Bed of Barbecue

Yes, the subject line is sort of a joke, but I have to admit I'm pretty shocked to find the number of at least decent-looking (and in some cases, better) barbecue places in the Garden Sate that are on this list. 

I've been meaning to try Henri's Hott's weekend buffet, which includes barbecue, fried chicken and much more, for a while.

https://expo.nj.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/05/8805e389e08494/njs-best-bbq-31-top-spots-to-try-this-spring-and-summer-.html#cmpid=nsltr_stryheadline

4 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2790
    Re: New Jersey: That Hot-Bed of Barbecue 2019/05/18 12:06:18 (permalink)
    We have good BBQ in Massachusetts too. Every good idea moves quickly today. If somebody invented the MumbaBumba sandwich in Omaha today, and it was really good, we would have a "me too" place in New England next week. Good food is good food, and I am always happy to find it nearby.

Our "Firefly" BBQ place in Massachusetts often shows up on "best" lists. A few years ago it was in the top 10 national list. The Firefly concept was not invented here, though. It was just a good idea, imported by a pro.

It would be really nice if some chef could invent a wonderful meal made from invasive carp or snakes. Then they could ship it frozen (no live stuff please) up here for the yuppies to eat.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9231
    Re: New Jersey: That Hot-Bed of Barbecue 2019/05/18 12:39:23 (permalink)
    Is slaw on brisket a Thing?
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10288
    Re: New Jersey: That Hot-Bed of Barbecue 2019/05/18 15:51:13 (permalink)
    tmiles
    We have good BBQ in Massachusetts too. Every good idea moves quickly today. If somebody invented the MumbaBumba sandwich in Omaha today, and it was really good, we would have a "me too" place in New England next week. Good food is good food, and I am always happy to find it nearby.

Our "Firefly" BBQ place in Massachusetts often shows up on "best" lists. A few years ago it was in the top 10 national list. The Firefly concept was not invented here, though. It was just a good idea, imported by a pro.

It would be really nice if some chef could invent a wonderful meal made from invasive carp or snakes. Then they could ship it frozen (no live stuff please) up here for the yuppies to eat.

That's the truth!
    phlmaestro
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    Re: New Jersey: That Hot-Bed of Barbecue 2019/05/18 20:29:45 (permalink)
    I agree too. But Henri's Hotts, which is between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, is an interesting place that doesn't really fit that profile. It's a combination barbecue and soul-food restaurant. I haven't been there yet, but our local restaurant critic raves about the weekend buffet. It's an impressive array: barbecue, fried chicken, a long list of sides.  Here is the buffet menu:  https://www.henrishottsbarbeque.com/buffet-menu.html

One of these days I'll get there. 

A little south of Henri's, on NJ-40, there is a long standing barbecue tradition. Holly had a couple of those places on his hollyeats site. I see at least one of them (Uncle Dewey's) is still around. 
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5