New Jersey to Las Cruces NM

Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 950
2004/12/14 10:42:26 (permalink)

New Jersey to Las Cruces NM

I am relocating (some might say escaping) from Southern New Jersey to Las Cruces New Mexico, I will start employment in the area early January. In the meantime, I have to drive from one locale to the other, I am thinking this will take 3 to 4 days. I am planning my route, and am looking for some feedback for the best of the best, lunches and dinners, along my route, since I will probably stop at only about 6 places, (I am not much of a breakfast guy) need some feedback for what approximates my route: day 1 along southern PA, into West VA, (Charleston, Huntington) then Kentucky (Lexington area) into Tennessee (Nashville then Memphis) across Arkansas (Little Rock) then Oklahoma (Oklahoma City) the Texas Panhandle (Amarillo)then finally New Mexico (Clovis, Portales) into Ruidoso and finally Las Cruces.

One thing I will miss for sure about Southern NJ is the food, namely, cheesesteaks, pizza and scrapple, in no short order. That's ok, I have had the experience of southwestern/Mexican cuisine over the last week, and find enchiladas with green/red chiles out there to die for. Certainly better than the local Chili's restaurants, not to mention any independent Mexican restaurants in the area here in NJ. You can't have a perfect world, I suppose!

3 Replies Related Threads

Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: New Jersey to Las Cruces NM 2004/12/14 11:01:06 (permalink)
    Here are some personal recommendations:

Charleston West Virginia- 1-Southern Kitchen- Don't get the fried chicken, get the Country Ham with Biscuits and Red Eye Gravy. Finish it off with their Peanut Butter Pie.
    or
    2- Joey's Ribs. near the civic center- Decent meaty ribs with delicious bbq beans- get the onion rings too with Sweet Tea.

Memphis- Dozens and Dozens of previous threads- I'm not going to go into it,

Little Rock- 1- Breakfast- Ozark Mountain Smokehouse- Good hearty southern style breakfasts. Voted best breakfast in Little Rock many times over.
    or
    2- Grampas Catfish House-In north Little Rock- good, but not as good as JoJo's Catfish House in Mountain View Arkansas.

Oklahoma City- Leo's Original BBQ is a MUST- The best bbq brisket and Beans. The Potato Salad isn't bad too. Every one raves about the Strawberry Bananna Cake. I thought it was ok, nothing special.

Amarillo- Big Texan Steakhouse-get the combo bbq plate with cowboy beans and corn bread for a real belt buster!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: New Jersey to Las Cruces NM 2004/12/14 11:10:40 (permalink)
    On your Amarillo leg you should stop at the Golden Light Cafe in Amarillo, which is a recommended place in the restaurant guide for Amarillo here on RF.

Just west of Amarillo is the Midpoint Cafe which is at the midpoint of Route 66. (there are bilboards on the highway telling you how to get there).They have great burgers, but get there early, I think they close by 3 pm.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: New Jersey to Las Cruces NM 2004/12/14 11:24:40 (permalink)
    If you find yourself in a bind for a good meal, and you're either not near any of the suggested places or need to get in and out fast, you can always trust the food at Petro truckstops. I've eaten hundreds of meals in them all across the country, and have never had a bad meal, nor have I ever been made sick by the food.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5