New Orleans!!!

Author
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2004/03/30 21:43:21 (permalink)

New Orleans!!!

This may be an impossible task but what would be a good handful of places to go to in New Orleans over a long weekend getaway. Creole and cajun especially.

12 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/03/30 23:42:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pepper Breath

This may be an impossible task but what would be a good handful of places to go to in New Orleans over a long weekend getaway. Creole and cajun especially.

Pepper Breath,
    You won't find Cajuns in New Orleans except expatriates. Cajun Country begins in Terrebonne Parish about 25-30 miles west of N. O. out U.S. 90 west; its seat is Houma.
    There ought to be a whole nother thread here to guide you to some great food in the Crescent City.
    The best creole place is likely Dooky Chase on Orleans Avenue. A good bet is Mandich's on St. Claude Avenue in Bywater - go there for lunch. Uglesich's on Baronne Street and Mother's on Poydras Street will feed you good for reasonable. I haven't been to any of these, but they are well enough known that I am unhesitant in my recommendation. Also The Gumbo Shop in The French Quarter. And The Coffee Pot thereabouts.
    You making me hungry now!
    Tummygrowlin'ly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    And there are a gazillion more. You not gonna go hungry in N'Awlins.
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/03/30 23:56:18 (permalink)
    Did ya look up these reviews?

http://www.roadfood.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?ps=1&s=LA&rt=9&rt=21&rt=30&c=New%20Orleans&kw=&ob=ri.restaurantname

If I were going, I'd have to try the muffuletta.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/03/31 01:20:55 (permalink)
    This is good, too: http://www.nola.com/dining/
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11939
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/03/31 11:50:21 (permalink)
    Do what Ort. says! I've been to all the above restaurants and they're all great. Do not forget Cafe du Monde........don't wear black because you'll have powdered sugar stains forever.
    stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/03/31 12:16:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Do what Ort. says! I've been to all the above restaurants and they're all great. Do not forget Cafe du Monde........don't wear black because you'll have powdered sugar stains forever.

Ha! So true! This year I am bringing a special Cafe du Monde "smock". (probably a big flannel shirt)
    dixiebrave
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/03/31 12:58:48 (permalink)
    Cafe du Monde is a MUST! If you want a good, cheap plate of red beans and rice, try Mena's in the French Quarter-it's on the corner of Chartres and Iberville Sts.
    You can enjoy a plate of red beans/rice, salad, with fried chicken or sausage or hamburger steak--less than $6! We had breakfast at Mena's too, a tasso omlette that was great, although the rest of the meal was pretty average.
    The Napoleon House is good too, and nice atmosphere-not real expensive. Gumbo Shop is touristy but good food.
    You can't really go wrong in New Orleans--have fun!
    P.S. Be sure and get a praline from Loretta's in the French Market--they are awesome!
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/04/01 09:42:45 (permalink)
    Go to the Acme Oyster House for a plate of raw oysters and an Abita. Also try Mike Anderson's Seafood right around the corner on Bourbon.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11939
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/04/01 12:00:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Go to the Acme Oyster House for a plate of raw oysters and an Abita. Also try Mike Anderson's Seafood right around the corner on Bourbon.

yes, yes and yes!
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/04/01 17:41:52 (permalink)
    New Orleans in a rush
    Here are my thoughts on the following places - which are more 'local' than 'Creole' or 'Cajun' [and priced accordingly] - that I tried when I had a couple of days to just graze (and check out the local public transit):

- Cafe Atchafalaya (901 Louisiana Ave.) – Heavenly Garden District chow! Incredible collards, turnip casserole, okra tomatoes [& I thought I loved them both before...], and corn fritters – pure ambrosia;
    - Central Grocery (923 Decatur St.) – with Progress gone, now the absolute King of Muffuletta on Decatur; a great sandwich & a decent semi-permanent cologne....;
    - Franky & Johnny’s (321 Arabella @ Tchoupitoulas) – kinda outta the way for some tasty [but pricey] crawfish pie/tartlet & bell pepper rings;
    - Gene’s Po-Boys (1040 Elysian Fields @ St Claude) – an incredible sausage po’boy that had me teary-eyed with delight (God seemed to concur – it started to rain when I picked up my order);
    - Loretta’s Pralines (in the French Market) – great pralines [& a good selection of postcards, too], especially to gild the lily of a coffee at Cafe du Monde...;
    - Old Coffee Pot (714 St. Peter St. @ Royal) – breakfast; had calas [like an aebleskivver / pancake made of rice], which were a little on the gummy side, but tasty nonetheless.

I got the sense that most of the places claiming to be Creole [or Cajun] were more tourist traps than living, breathing restaurants with a clear sense of culinary heritage. (And speaking of heritage - what do folks here think of Antoine's or Galatoire's? Does their age innoculate them against criticism?)

Laissez le bon temps roulez (et 'buen provecho')!,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/04/01 19:32:51 (permalink)
    Casamento's for Oysters (raw on the half-shell, then fried in oyster loaf - have it dressed). Jacques-Imo for Cajun and a great party (you'll have to wait, get anything that's fried). Uggies (see review on roadfood website). Herbsaint (Spice Girl's second place next to pricey Bayona) if you want to have a little something more fancy without breaking the bank although none of the NOL restaurants are all that expensive for what you get but I'm from NYC so you'll have to figure that in. Muffulettas are okay but these days Central Grocery has them premade and stacked in a refrigerated compartment so somewhat less than great. Be sure to have a Sazerac which is the NOL cocktail (preferably at the Sazerac Bar which is a great art deco bar in the Fairmont Hotel); Turbo Dog and Abita Amber are the local beers. In response to Richard, Galatoire's food is not as good as other places but I just love the place. It's the ambience and the service; i.e. your relationship to your waiter. Galatoire's, however, is definitely not Roadfood. Have fun.
    FrauToasty
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2004/04/07 11:14:10 (permalink)
    This time of year I'd recommend getting about 10 pounds of hot crawfish from a seafood market, a couple of cold beers or Barq's, and driving out to the Lakefront (Lakeshore Drive,) and finding a place on the levee to enjoy. Can't beat it.
    LoEldridge
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: New Orleans!!! 2005/12/07 21:40:39 (permalink)
    RALPH AND CAKOO'S - the best place for Cajun, creole, seafood and more!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5