Newish in my home town

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2577
2016/03/27 07:58:02 (permalink)

Newish in my home town

Over the years, a few RFers have made it to Millbury to eat at Scales, especially for fried clams in the winter. (Scales has new ownership and is still  good, but the fried clams are no longer superior) Nearby, in the same old factory complex (our town was named MILLbury for a reason), you will find "Cake" www.cakeshopcafe.com . They are a true bakery, in an area that has lost too many. If you are in the area, you should try them. If you take the time to checkout their website, look at the gallery, and check out the cake for the "UMass Grad". It is a little Dr Suess like, and a true work of art,,,,,,,more sculpture than treat. The prices are low by Boston standards, but high by Millbury standards. I'm sure that the rent here is a LOT cheaper than on Newbury Street, so I hope that their business model works. While in town, you could also try out www.thequeenscups.com run by a friend of my daughter. She does cupcakes only, and seems to have built a good following. She uses social media to find new customers, in a way that most members of my generation wouldn't even understand.

Another place getting mention, that I have not yet tried myself is Shancakes, about 25 miles away. www.shancakes.com . It is good to see a new generation coming in who see a reason to stick with the "old ways". Scratch baking is costly because of the high labor component, but as I have been frequent to mention, I can get "ok" cakes at the supermarket or WalMart, and if you want me to go out of my way to get to your little bakery, you need to be better.
post edited by tmiles - 2016/04/02 11:04:55

1 Reply Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6646
    Re: Newish in my home town 2016/03/27 09:36:37 (permalink)
    WoW!

A little touch of Paris in Greater Beantown!

We could use a little more of that here in DFW.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5