Niagara-on-the-Lake to Owen Sound

Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 880
2018/01/01 18:23:54 (permalink)

Niagara-on-the-Lake to Owen Sound

Not exclusively a Roadfood trip due to a picky-eater friend we were with, but we went to Niagara-on-the-Lake for a few days and Owen Sound for a few more and found some gems along the way.

Here were our top 12 meals:

12) Boot and Blade, Owen Sound - C+. Staff was very friendly and attentive, décor was hockey-themed and cool but the food was so-so.

11) Butler's, Niagara-on-the-Lake - B-. Had a pretty good late-night pizza here and the draft beer was outstanding. 

10) The Sandtrap, Niagara-on-the-Lake - B-. Golf-themed pub/restaurant (obviously) with solid burgers and good prices. More of a chain feel than Roadfoodish.

9) Maurizio's, Parry Sound - B-. Pizza place that was pretty well hyped online but it didn't wow us. A little pricy to boot.

8) Caroline Cellars, Niagara-on-the-Lake - A-. Outstanding steak sandwich. Overall I like the beef in Canada better than the U.S. 

7) Bishop's Landing, Owen Sound - A-. For a hotel restaurant, the food is top notch and the prices are still pretty decent. The view of the sound from the back patio keeps us coming back. We stay at the attached hotel when we come into town and have never had a bad meal. Just a great place to relax. We went three times in five times and the waitresses are all exceptional.

6) The Fish and Chip Place, Tobermory - A. This is a gem I'd discovered on our first trip to the Bruce Peninsula. It's right next to the water so the fish doesn't get any fresher. I'm not even a fish fan but the Georgian Bay whitefish taco here is out of this world. Only knock is the service was only decent.

5) Zee's, Niagara-on-the-Lake - A. Nice patio, fun waiter and very good food. It's a little upscale, and the prices in a tourist town reflect it, but this was the second-best place in NOTL.

4) Shorty's, Owen Sound - A. IMO there is no better place to eat in Owen Sound. The bacon-wrapped scallops are off the charts, and I've never had anything here that I didn't love. Prices are pretty good. Beer selection is exceptional. Can get a little loud.

3) The Irish Harp, Niagara-on-the-Lake - A. Pretty typical Irish pub menu but the food is the best in town. We split a garlic bread that was one of the best I've ever had, and the reuben ranks among my top 10 all-time. 

2) The Woolwich Arrow, Guelph - A. Pork belly reuben. That says it all. Every bit as good as it sounded. We almost didn't stop here and I'm so glad we did. That sandwich was amazing. 

1) Ted's Range Road Diner, Meaford - A+. It's in the middle of nowhere and looks like a dump on the outside. That said, this place moves into my top three places on the planet. We went for lunch, and it was so good we nixed our original plans and came back the next night for dinner. The tomato soup was the best soup I've had in my life, and I had a Cajun prime rib for dinner that ranks among my favorite all-time meals. Cathy had the cheesy chicken and it lived up to its name - she had to dig through bubbling cheese to find it. But it wasn't overkill. The meat was super juicy and the cheese complemented it well. 

Edit: After posting I just realized this should go in the Trip Reports thread and not here. Could someone with the authority please move this? My apologies.
post edited by Bonk - 2018/01/01 18:27:24

3 Replies Related Threads

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Niagara-on-the-Lake to Owen Sound 2018/01/01 20:13:19 (permalink)
    Did you hit some of the many wineries there?
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11734
    Re: Niagara-on-the-Lake to Owen Sound 2018/01/01 20:21:38 (permalink)
    Looks like you got several good places to eat in your trip.

I love the name.. The Fish and Chips Place.  Is that really the name?

Sounds like you had a great time.  Thanks for the report!
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 880
    Re: Niagara-on-the-Lake to Owen Sound 2018/01/02 18:53:39 (permalink)
    plb
    Did you hit some of the many wineries there?

We did -- 10 overall I believe. I'm not a wine drinker so I was DD for Mrs. Bonk and our two friends.

Mrs. Bonk is a fan of ice wines, and there's nowhere better in the world to get them. 
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5