No Burger King for deployed soldiers

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2551
2017/03/14 14:38:57 (permalink)

No Burger King for deployed soldiers

An article in the paper today said that US troops deploying to Poland will not have Burger King on base. Somehow it is supposed to be good for moral to eat a lot of potato based meals in a Polish army mess hall, rather than eat like civilians.

The story thought that the disdain of front line troops for "FOBBITS" (In the Marines we called them "REMFS", would be less if the support troops safe back on the base would suffer a little too.

I remember an officer who went on to become famous. He thought that "practice bleeding" , as he called it was stupid. He was not soft, but he wanted only the best for his men. I doubt that he remembers me, but I'll always remember has advice that he would trade my life "in a heartbeat", if needed, for tactical reasons, but that I could die knowing that my life had been worth something.

When after a few years of active duty, and then a career in the reserve, I was activated for a war, it was not the war that I'd planned on. I ended up near Newport Beach Cal (MCAS El Toro) as a REMF. We had a McD on base, and darn right, I encouraged food runs there when we were working long shifts. The exhausted transport flight crews ate there between back to back missions too. Once when they were doing a "hot" turn around, and everyone was busy, I made the McD run for that crew myself, and got the bags into the hatch just before the plane started it's taxi to the runway. I don't regret it.

5 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22474
    Re: No Burger King for deployed soldiers 2017/03/14 15:07:11 (permalink)
    They're not going to have Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Popeye's or Green Bean, either. I know when my grandson was deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan he did a lot of eating at those spots when he was back at a base. Come to think of it, when he was in Korea he hardly ever ate in a DFAC (that's mess hall for anyone old enough to remember), choosing instead any fast food outlet.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5647
    Re: No Burger King for deployed soldiers 2017/03/14 15:57:45 (permalink)
    While stationed at Ft. Meade in Maryland, our barracks mess sergeant won trophies for "Best Mess Chef" on base. To tell you the truth, other than breakfast, (a no brainer) we preferred to drive to town after work every day to eat great burgers and pizza at a local bar and grill.

post edited by Twinwillow - 2017/03/14 16:03:12
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: No Burger King for deployed soldiers 2017/03/14 16:42:56 (permalink)
    Four or five days into basic at Sampson AFB I went on sick call because I didn't feel right. Turned out because of the food I was eating every day in the mess hall my mother's cooking-induced heartburn was gone. I thought the food was terrific. And it was good when I got to Amarillo AFB. But when I got to Bergstrom, a SAC base, the food was marvelous. The mess halls there were operated by civilians.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re: No Burger King for deployed soldiers 2017/03/20 13:55:04 (permalink)
    My dad did some time at Bergstrom  but that was way back in like the 1950s.
    I don't think it will hurt them to not have a Burger King.And  maybe it shows the Poles  some sort of solidarity or comradeship  which might be behind the move. Back when my dad served during WW2, I guess you really didn't have a choice as to meals since there was no Burger King in North Africa or Italy. I guess he and the other men if they didn't eat at the mess hall ate local food. Wouldn't have bothered him to eat polish food anyways .Even though  the family was german,he would sometimes make a few polish dishes which he learned from grandma.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: No Burger King for deployed soldiers 2017/03/20 15:13:37 (permalink)
    I was at Bergstrom in the early '50s.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5